Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alice Faber Alice Faber is offline

Default Low carb diet

In article >,
"Janet" > wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > My job when I was a kid was to make the salad for dinner. We had
> > salad every night. I freaking HATE making salad and in no way shape
> > or form did making me do that make anything simpler for anyone. It
> > just caused a lot of fights between my mom and I.

> Ha! I, too, was given the job of making the salad dressing and salad as a
> kid. And although I love to cook, and do lots of it--and love salad-- making
> salad is my LEAST favorite cooking activity. In fact, I often buy boxes
> of baby romaine or mesclun instead of head lettuce because not having to
> wash lettuce makes it more likely that I will force myself to make salad at
> night.

I have a Rubbermaid lettuce bowl with a little grid at the bottom. I
find that if I prep my lettuce when I get it home, I'm much more likely
to eat salad on a regular basis. I clean out the kitchen sink, fill it
with cold water, and soak the lettuce, tearing off any bits that I'm not
going to eat. If I notice a lot of sand or dirt on the lettuce, I drain
the sink and refill it. I then spin the lettuce (I have a large salad
spinner), and put it in the Rubbermaid bowl. It keeps for quite a while.
A large bunch of loose-leaf lettuce costs anywhere from $1.49-$2.99,
depending on store and season. And, at least from May-November or so,
the lettuce is local (and not trucked in from California)

When I do this, the basis for my salads is opening the fridge and taking
out the bowl of lettuce.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet