Michael Balarama

Default veg low carb diet?

at the gym I have met three of 4 people who have dropped allot of
weight...they all did a low carb diet..causes the body to think it is
starvation and it burns fat..
I was wondering is there a vegan or vegetarian low carb diet???

usual suspect

Michael Balarama wrote:

> at the gym I have met three of 4 people who have dropped allot of
> weight...they all did a low carb diet..causes the body to think it is
> starvation and it burns fat..

That's the claim. There's not much science to support it and proponents of such
diets usually fail to distinguish between complex carbs (starches) and simple
carbs (sugars). Carbs are your body's (and brain's!) main source of fuel. Too
much protein is bad for the kidneys.

The best way to restrict carbs is to cut out sweets. Low-carb diets tend to be
calorie restricted anyway, so the claims about how they work is BS. Cut
calories, lose weight. Period.

> I was wondering is there a vegan or vegetarian low carb diet???

VEGAN: By relying on soy protein isolates, which I think is dicey over the long
term. Other veggie protein powders are available, but do you want to base your
life around powders or food?

VEGETARIAN: By relying on dairy products and/or eggs. The issues then are fat
consumption and getting enough fiber to keep from getting constipated.

The safest way to lose weight and keep it off is to exercise regularly and eat a
sensible, well-balanced diet for life. Stay away from fads -- yo-yo dieting is
also bad for the body over the long run.

John Coleman

exchange high energy density foods for lower density ones, then you can fill
up all you like without filling out

e.g. swap bread/sandwiches and have bananas - remove the refined
carbohydrates, use whole foods instead, that way you can shed excess fat
without starving the body

John

Laurie

"Michael Balarama" > wrote in message

> I was wondering is there a vegan or vegetarian low carb diet???

Su fruits, veggies, and avoid concentrated starches, like
grains/grain products, potatoes, bananas, ...
But, remember that there is a fatal flaw inherent in so-called "low
carb" diets, and that is excessive protein/fat.

Laurie