Diabetic (alt.food.diabetic) This group is for the discussion of controlled-portion eating plans for the dietary management of diabetes.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #61 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-08-2011, 02:49 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,620
Default Low carb diet

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
...
unfortunately this really is her life, so you will simply have to decide
which is more important, you not touching meat, or her living to
adulthood, i hate to be harsh, but coming from a family where my parents
not only had to do things to my eyes medically that aftwards, my father
would throw his guts up, they paid for over a hundred k of surgical
procedures, starting in 1959 on their own, so i could see for a while, i
am sure grateful they were both able to do what needed doing, if they
haden't the doctors would have had no option but to cut out my eys because
the pain wouldn't have been



That sounds terrible Storrmmee, thankfully you had such caring parents.

Cheri


  #62 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-08-2011, 02:56 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,619
Default Low carb diet

you bring tears to my eyes, in fac you just made me cry, not an often
occurence, you once again reminded me of what my parents did for me, and
never not once did they ever let me know that anything was different, it is
just what families do for each other, my mom shopped yard sales for the
things we needed, had a huge garden, bought material so my aunt/grandmothers
could make things for us, my mom decorated by saving money from picking up
walnuts in the fall... my parents worked very hard, my father worked
overtime and went without things, we never had a new car, well they bout one
the year i was born, then no other car until 68 because they simply couldn't
afford the payments... we weren't poor my father was a steelworker, but my
medical bills cost me two siblings they opted to not have because the bills
were too great, and had they told the doctor they couldn't have applied the
medication and done the massages, like i said, they would have cut out my
eyes to try and save my sanity, julie, you are all that stands between
angela and a life of misery, please do what needs doing, Lee, rambling and
hoping points to both of you are understood,
"Ozgirl" wrote in message
...


"Julie Bove" wrote in message
...

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

I don't know when and if her tastebuds will change.

It seems to me it's her behavior that has to change. Why is this all
about what she likes? This is a requirement for her health. She's just
got to do it.


Well maybe *you* can eat food that you don't like. I can't and she can't
either. I would seriously rather starve than to eat something I don't
like. In fact if something I don't like goes in my mouth it just won't go
down. I start retching and gagging and it comes right back out. She is
the same way. So I have to try to come up with things she will like to
eat.

I doubt very much she'll starve herself to death rather than eat food
that she doesn't prefer.


I would! I do not like torturing myself.


Julie, I am not sure you are understanding the severity of Angela's health
problems. 1. having the problems she has at 13 is so rare, this could be
the beginning of a lifetime of shocking things for her - health-wise. 2.
She is not you and she, if she is made to realise the severity of her
condition, may very well choose different foods rather than starve. You
can't speak for her. 3. What if she ends up needing insulin to survive but
hates needles? Do you let her die because you don't want to force her to
do what is necessary to live? 4. Do you really want to see her on a
dangerous drug at age 13? 2,000 mg Metformin could do terrible things to
her. I would be avoiding that like the plague at her age. Her health
problems aren't going to go away unless you actively help her make some
serious dietary changes, whether she likes them or not. She is well and
truly old enough to realise the consequences.

Young kids all over the world have to go on special diets and medical
treatments to stay alive, its just a fact of life and these kids have to
deal with it, whether they are 2 or 13. I can see your point about not
wanting to force things she doesn't like but its not a choice thing
anymore, its really serious life threatening stuff. I personally would be
getting an appt with a kids' hospital endo. Jasmine's open heart surgery
and 6 weeks in intensive care cost close to $200,000. I paid nothing, I
couldn't have paid $200 but if I was told without paying she wouldn't have
the op then I would do everything in my power to get that money even if I
had to sell myself on street corners, no joke. I would actually do
something so abhorrent to raise that money. Please don't give in to her on
this Julie. As a mother, this is very hard for me to watch.



  #63 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-08-2011, 03:24 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,614
Default Low carb diet

How awful for you Lee, and your parents, to have to watch. Watching a
kid suffer is the absolute worst thing. Well death is the ultimate but
you know what I mean.

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
...
unfortunately this really is her life, so you will simply have to
decide which is more important, you not touching meat, or her living
to adulthood, i hate to be harsh, but coming from a family where my
parents not only had to do things to my eyes medically that aftwards,
my father would throw his guts up, they paid for over a hundred k of
surgical procedures, starting in 1959 on their own, so i could see for
a while, i am sure grateful they were both able to do what needed
doing, if they haden't the doctors would have had no option but to cut
out my eys because the pain wouldn't have been bearable, Julie you
are a smart woman, and you love your child, now go do what needs
doing, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
...

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
...


"Julie Bove" wrote in message
...

"W. Baker" wrote in message
...
Julie Bove wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: Julie Bove wrote:

julie,

You can make kebabas in the broiler of your oven. I live in a
city
apartment and would make them for the kids occasionally.

I won't use the broiler. Too messy. I also don't think I could
make kebabs. I won't touch raw meat.

Too bad the chicken kebabs they sell have either wheat or peanut in
them.

Well, the unfortunate thing now is that Angela really needs to have
certain things to get healthy so you might have to bite the bullet.
Use the disposables gloves. When Jazz was an infant she got asthma
after bronchiolitis. I had a major mask problem ever since I had a
rubber mask pumping ether into me when I had tonsils out at 3. For 2
days nurses held her while she was on the nebuliser. After that they
forced me to do it. As they said, my child's life could depend on
this and I was the only one home with her most of the time. Yes they
were brutal but it was necessary. My kids' life and health had to
come before my phobia. I think you might have to overcome some of
your problems like with fresh meat, to help Angela. No one else is
going to do it.


There is no way I will handle raw meat even with gloves on. And no
way I will use the broiler. There is no way of knowing if she would
even like the kebabs. Chances are she wouldn't. She just doesn't
like meat when I cook it. I found part of tonight's dinner on the
kitchen floor. I guess she thought I wouldn't see it there? A piece
of meat and a potato with one bite taken out of them. She said she
liked the potatoes. Apparently not. I didn't like them one bit.
Most likely because of the garlic. Luckily it was a small dinner but
apparently too much meat for me.

My stomach has really been bothering me lately and the foods I seem
to digest the best are white bread, white rice, and mashed potatoes.
I hate eating these things around her but... I guess I have no
choice. Especially since we are down to one toilet now.

I am hoping the guy will show up tomorrow like he said he would to
finish my driveway and then I can ask him if he could put in a new
toilet. After we get that paid off I will take her to Smart Eats.
They sell gluten free stuff and low carb stuff. In most cases you
get one or the other. And I think most of the low carb stuff will be
out for her because it contains nuts or soy. But we might find
something she can eat.



  #64 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-08-2011, 03:25 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,619
Default Low carb diet

spaghettie squash is a wonderful food, my favorite way to eat it is for
dessert, cook, then mix in butter, splenda and a touch of nutmeg, eat warm
or cold, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
...

"W. Baker" wrote in message
...
Julie Bove wrote:

: "KROM" wrote in message
...
: Hormel and a few others make pre cooked meats like roasts and chicken
: breasts that aren't breaded
:
:
http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/ho...edEntrees.aspx

: But the only ones that don't contain her allergens are the Roast Beef
Au
: Jus, the same but Italian seasoned (yuck) and the Pork Au Jus. She
does
: like the first and last ones but she likes them with pasta. She will
only
: eat a tiny bit of the meat and mostly the pasta.

Can yu tel her that she can't have more than a tiny portion of pasta ,
but
could try string beans(fresh or canned) or spaghetti squash in place of
the pasta. let her know that there really are no cjoices out side this
,
unless she will eatthe meat plain, with aoem vegetable , etc. She did
learn not to eat foods she is allergic. Now she has some now things she
has to learn she cannot't eat in large enough portions that she fills her
enough, so she has to keep trying too find what she can like and is able
to keep her from getting sick.


Spaghetti squash is just nasty. Nobody in the house will eat it. She
will eat canned green beans but only one serving.

Can you find a couse at a Y or some such place that could help you learn
new ways of cooking fresh foods? It might be good for both of you. You
do not have to cook like your Mother. You are young enough to learn new
techniques. It is not a matter of recipes, but methods of cooking like
broiling, etc. You can easily not get everything greasy by broiling if
you take a shlalow metal or enamel over metal pan without a handle, cover
it with aluminum foile and put a grate on the pan and then use that to
broil the chicken or meat. With chicken, you firt start with it sking
side down, and only when close to done, but not all dried out, turn it
over and brown the skin side. You can put herbs, lemon juice, salt and
pepper, etc on the chicken before you broil it.


I just do not like to use the broiler at all ever. It makes the house too
hot. I also will not cook any chicken with skin nor will Angela eat
chicken with skin on it.

There is no Y around here. There are a couple that I know of. Not close
by. I don't think they offer any cooking classes. I did go to cooking
school. I do know how to cook.



  #65 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-08-2011, 03:33 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,619
Default Low carb diet

I wish more would do it so i wouldn't have to see his abuse, i don't agree
with juilie on things but these things are julies life and talking them out
will at least give her other perspectives, and maybe that will help, Lee
"Cheri" wrote in message
...
"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" wrote in message
...
In article , "Cheri"
wrote:

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" wrote in message
news:atlas-bugged-

Yet another reason to let her cook her own food...or keep taking her
to
restaurants

What are you hoping to accomplish here? Julie is who she is, and what
she
feeds herself/Angela is her own business. It can be frustrating at times
because of all the "I won'ts" but leave it alone and stop hassling her.
You'll both be happier.

Cheri


If she feels comfortable publishing her moans, I feel comfortable
laughing at
them


Julie posts a lot more than moans, however...I've not seen anything of
worth from you and bullying doesn't count. I have now changed your posting
color to yellow. Bye now.


Cheri






  #66 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-08-2011, 03:38 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,619
Default Low carb diet

this is another area we disagree on julie,

because the dh must do things that require sight, and right now with our
living situation, he has picked up a lot more of our paid work, so even
though i hate, hate, HATE to cook i have picked it up and am doing it so he
doesn't have to do everything, I am saying this because i feel as though if
she had to cook it then there would be less stress and she would realise
just what effort goes into it so she might be more accepting of what you do
put in front of her... and honestly it is just that simple, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
...

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" wrote in message
...
In article , "Julie Bove"

wrote:

Could you have gotten the proportions between the chicken, olive
oil, and lemon juice wrong? Is she able to give you more details
about what she doesn't like about your version so you can try
another variation?

I doubt it. I think the mere fact that I made it had something to do
with
it.


Yet another reason to let her cook her own food...or keep taking her to
restaurants


I am not going to have her cook her own food! I don't mind cooking. In
fact I like it. I did take over most of the cooking at home when I was
12. That was the point in time where my mom sent me and a friend for
cooking lessons. It was a birthday present. That didn't last long
though. I put my foot down. The woman simply wouldn't listen to us and
kept insisting that we cook things our families wouldn't eat. Like BBQed
beef and buns from scratch. My mom doesn't eat bread or buns and nobody
likes BBQ.

Every week she would ask us what we wanted to make the following week. We
would tell her and then arrive only to find that she had something
entirely different for us to cook.

Anyway... She does know how to cook. She doesn't like to do it. Life is
too short to waste time doing things you don't want to do. She does like
the prep work. I do not. So I have her prep and I do the cooking.



  #67 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-08-2011, 03:56 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,619
Default Low carb diet

another place we disagree, from the time i was five, we would go to the
specialist, then after my parents understood what the next experiment would
be, mom would say, now explain it to her... the first doc was great at this,
when he took a partener as he aged, he balked, my mom called th older one
in, said, if she doesn't understand it in her way then it won't get done or
we will find a doctor who will be able to explain itt, that day, i was
seven, dr. isreal explained it to me, next visit, new doc was just fine at
explaining, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
...

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" wrote in message
...
In article , "Julie Bove"

wrote:

So... The quandry. Angela is supposed to follow a low carb diet. But
I can
not because I don't digest most protein, fats or fiber very well.

And she doesn't like low carb foods. Because of her allergies she can
not
have wheat, peas, lentils, peanuts or almonds. She can have dairy only
twice
a week and eggs once a week.


Goat milk will solve that. Duck eggs might solve the egg problem


Because of her thyroid problem she can't
have soy except in limited amounts. Like soy sauce once in a while, soy
lecithin (mainly in vitamins and supplements) and soybean oil (mainly in
restaurants).

For the most part she doesn't like meat. She will eat chicken if it is
mixed
into rice or potatoes or if it is plain. No sauces of any kind. She
will
eat Ian's chicken nuggets on occasion but with something like 42g of
carb,
they are not low carb. Ditto for the Ian's fish sticks or the Starfish
breaded gluten free fish.


You could bread with potato flakes or use any of the following gluten
free
grains http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/reci...des/grains.php


Actually I think the fish has even more
carbs but not a lot. Maybe 44. She will eat tuna casserole but that
contains rice pasta so that's not low carb.


plenty of gluten free grains/pasta


Once in a great while I can get

her to eat tuna salad.

She doesn't really like any other kind of meat or fish. She does like
some
lamb kebabs from Central Market but at $4.00 per kebab they are not
something
I can afford to get often. But then she gets a psychological thing
going
about the cute little baby lambs and sometimes when I do buy them she
can't
bring herself to eat them.


her problem, but more for you



She will eat turkey in a wrap (not lot carb) or with mashed potatoes.
Once
in awhile she will grab a few slices of turkey or bologna and just eat
that.
Once in a while she will eat pepperoni, salami or bacon.


all such wonderful non-junk foods?


She will eat my meatloaf. I do plan to make a lot of those for the
freezer
when the weather cools off. I hate to use the oven for long periods of
time
now. I do put oats in there but not a lot and a bit of flax instead of
eggs.
Also a lot of veggies that she wouldn't normally eat. I puree them.
She
does know they are in there but doesn't seem to mind.


Let meatloaf be your savior, but how do you make meatloaf without
touching raw
meat?


So how do you get someone on a low carb diet who doesn't like low carb?


Just a suggestion, and I know how prickly you get when you actually get
help,
but I'd write a gut-wrenching letter to Rachel Ray and Dr Oz (In fact
todays
episode showed an extremely low-carb, gluten free, low fat, low calorie
pizza
that used cauliflower for the base...yes, this is where you tell us your
tale
of woe about her and veggies) and see if they think you would make a good
show
or even a good reality series. I'd also write to every food show on the
food
channel and see if anyone would take pity on you.

And then there are the clinical trials that you might qualify for, but of
course haven't looked for.



She has already made a few changes. When we go out for Mexican food she
has
part of an appetizer such as nachos or bean dip and chips with a salad
topped
with a piece of chicken.


all low-carb?


Gah! What to do! What to do?


You could of course actually involve your daughter in the solution
instead of
treating her like a baby. The fact that you tolerate her throwing food on
the
floor shows your inability to treat her like an adult. You could have her
cook
those raw meats you won't touch...but that would require you getting
involved
with her instead of her problem.


Where did I say that she threw food on the floor? I didn't. I said I
found it on the floor. How it got there I do not know. I really don't
care. Could be one of our cats did it. The kitten does like to get into
the trash. I did get a lidded trash can today. So if it is the cats
doing it, that problem will be solves unless they figure out how to open
the lid. Which they may well do because they are very smart.

As for touching raw meat... Do you really think she would do it? Nope.
She has no interest whatever in cooking. And that's fine. As long as she
knows how to get food that works for me. She can do stuff in the
microwave. My dad will soon turn 80 and my mom is 78. They rarely ever
cook. Not everyone enjoys that sort of thing. I do. I just don't like
messing with dead things.

It might be interesting to find out what she has done in regards to
searching
for answers to her problems...she is searching for answers, isn't she?


Why would she be searching for answers? She's 13!



  #68 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-08-2011, 03:58 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,619
Default Low carb diet

way to go julie, something we agree on, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
...

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" wrote in message
...
In article , "Julie Bove"

wrote:


Where did I say that she threw food on the floor? I didn't. I said I
found
it on the floor. How it got there I do not know. I really don't care.


There it is:"I don't care". Of course you don't, because if you did,
you'd get
answers you don't want

What is that supposed to mean? I have no way of knowing how it got on the
floor. I don't have a security cam. I have better things to do than to
worry about how two pieces of food got on the floor yesterday.


Could be one of our cats did it. The kitten does like to get into the
trash. I did get a lidded trash can today. So if it is the cats doing
it,
that problem will be solves unless they figure out how to open the lid.
Which they may well do because they are very smart.


And what are you going to do when food magically appears on the floor
after
you've implemented your new lidded trash can? "Oh the cats must have
figured out
how to get the lid open"


Well no because of the design of it. They can't open it *and* get in it.
So if I see food on the floor after that I'll know Angela did it. Or if
my husband is home maybe he did it.


As for touching raw meat... Do you really think she would do it? Nope.


Of course not, because she has you to do it for her. You are some mother,
preparing your child for the world when she's on her own.


It is not necessary to touch raw meat to cook. It really isn't.

She has no interest whatever in cooking. And that's fine. As long as
she
knows how to get food that works for me.


In that case, there's no problem so why did you post yet another insane
thread?


Insane? I don't think so.

She can do stuff in the microwave.
My dad will soon turn 80 and my mom is 78. They rarely ever cook. Not
everyone enjoys that sort of thing. I do. I just don't like messing
with
dead things.

It might be interesting to find out what she has done in regards to
searching
for answers to her problems...she is searching for answers, isn't she?

Why would she be searching for answers? She's 13!


1) because it's her problem, not yours


You must not have children. To expect a 13 year old to be responsible for
her medial stuff is what's insane.

She has a friend who is a type 1 diabetic. She sneaks food all the time.
It's what kids do. If kids of that age didn't need their parents then
they would commonly be emancipated. And they're not.

2) because some day you will die and she will have to take care of
herself


And hopefully she will be old enough to take care of herself when I do
die.

My parents left me home alone when I was 13. Not for the day but
like...for a week. I did things I wasn't supposed to do. That's what
kids do!

3) because 13 is way old enough for her to take charge of her body and
herself.


What country do you live in where this is the law?

You actually seem quite proud that she is indifferent to her issues. Way
to go
mom.


I never said she was indifferent. But what I will say is that you are an
asshole. Yep. ASSHOLE!



  #69 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-08-2011, 05:13 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 44,451
Default Low carb diet


"Storrmmee" wrote in message
...
unfortunately this really is her life, so you will simply have to decide
which is more important, you not touching meat, or her living to
adulthood, i hate to be harsh, but coming from a family where my parents
not only had to do things to my eyes medically that aftwards, my father
would throw his guts up, they paid for over a hundred k of surgical
procedures, starting in 1959 on their own, so i could see for a while, i
am sure grateful they were both able to do what needed doing, if they
haden't the doctors would have had no option but to cut out my eys because
the pain wouldn't have been bearable, Julie you are a smart woman, and
you love your child, now go do what needs doing, Lee


As I said before... There are plenty of ways to cook meat without touching
it. No harm will come to her if she doesn't eat meat on a stick. She won't
touch it either. And the way I look at things, if you won't do something
yourself, then don't expect others to do it. Now can't is another matter.


  #70 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-08-2011, 05:13 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,619
Default Low carb diet

a friend once told me there are only two kinds of parents of kids with
special needs, pushers, and smotherers, and blessedly, my parents gritted
their teeth and pushed... i guess that is part of why i have always beleived
in a higher power, some kids might have needed different, but i got what i
needed, i have confidence i can survive anything, Lee
"Ozgirl" wrote in message
...
How awful for you Lee, and your parents, to have to watch. Watching a kid
suffer is the absolute worst thing. Well death is the ultimate but you
know what I mean.

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
...
unfortunately this really is her life, so you will simply have to decide
which is more important, you not touching meat, or her living to
adulthood, i hate to be harsh, but coming from a family where my parents
not only had to do things to my eyes medically that aftwards, my father
would throw his guts up, they paid for over a hundred k of surgical
procedures, starting in 1959 on their own, so i could see for a while, i
am sure grateful they were both able to do what needed doing, if they
haden't the doctors would have had no option but to cut out my eys
because the pain wouldn't have been bearable, Julie you are a smart
woman, and you love your child, now go do what needs doing, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
...

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
...


"Julie Bove" wrote in message
...

"W. Baker" wrote in message
...
Julie Bove wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: Julie Bove wrote:

julie,

You can make kebabas in the broiler of your oven. I live in a city
apartment and would make them for the kids occasionally.

I won't use the broiler. Too messy. I also don't think I could make
kebabs. I won't touch raw meat.

Too bad the chicken kebabs they sell have either wheat or peanut in
them.

Well, the unfortunate thing now is that Angela really needs to have
certain things to get healthy so you might have to bite the bullet. Use
the disposables gloves. When Jazz was an infant she got asthma after
bronchiolitis. I had a major mask problem ever since I had a rubber
mask pumping ether into me when I had tonsils out at 3. For 2 days
nurses held her while she was on the nebuliser. After that they forced
me to do it. As they said, my child's life could depend on this and I
was the only one home with her most of the time. Yes they were brutal
but it was necessary. My kids' life and health had to come before my
phobia. I think you might have to overcome some of your problems like
with fresh meat, to help Angela. No one else is going to do it.

There is no way I will handle raw meat even with gloves on. And no way
I will use the broiler. There is no way of knowing if she would even
like the kebabs. Chances are she wouldn't. She just doesn't like meat
when I cook it. I found part of tonight's dinner on the kitchen floor.
I guess she thought I wouldn't see it there? A piece of meat and a
potato with one bite taken out of them. She said she liked the
potatoes. Apparently not. I didn't like them one bit. Most likely
because of the garlic. Luckily it was a small dinner but apparently too
much meat for me.

My stomach has really been bothering me lately and the foods I seem to
digest the best are white bread, white rice, and mashed potatoes. I hate
eating these things around her but... I guess I have no choice.
Especially since we are down to one toilet now.

I am hoping the guy will show up tomorrow like he said he would to
finish my driveway and then I can ask him if he could put in a new
toilet. After we get that paid off I will take her to Smart Eats. They
sell gluten free stuff and low carb stuff. In most cases you get one or
the other. And I think most of the low carb stuff will be out for her
because it contains nuts or soy. But we might find something she can
eat.







  #71 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-08-2011, 05:15 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 44,451
Default Low carb diet


"Storrmmee" wrote in message
...
spaghettie squash is a wonderful food, my favorite way to eat it is for
dessert, cook, then mix in butter, splenda and a touch of nutmeg, eat warm
or cold, Lee


Uck. I feel about that like you feel about black eyed peas. Or is it lima
beans?


  #72 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-08-2011, 05:19 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 44,451
Default Low carb diet


"Storrmmee" wrote in message
...
this is another area we disagree on julie,

because the dh must do things that require sight, and right now with our
living situation, he has picked up a lot more of our paid work, so even
though i hate, hate, HATE to cook i have picked it up and am doing it so
he doesn't have to do everything, I am saying this because i feel as
though if she had to cook it then there would be less stress and she would
realise just what effort goes into it so she might be more accepting of
what you do put in front of her... and honestly it is just that simple,
Lee


I don't see how that would make anything simpler. Bottom line, when school
starts she will have no time to cook. I will have to have the meal ready
for her to eat when she gets home. She will eat, have a short amount of
time and then go to the dance studio. That's assuming her back is healed
and the Dr. gives her the go ahead.

My job when I was a kid was to make the salad for dinner. We had salad
every night. I freaking HATE making salad and in no way shape or form did
making me do that make anything simpler for anyone. It just caused a lot of
fights between my mom and I.

When I was on my own I did some cooking but not a lot. There are plenty of
inexpensive foods one can eat that don't require cooking.


  #73 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-08-2011, 05:22 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,619
Default Low carb diet

lol, black eyed peas, and if you feel that way, nevermind, bletch to the
beps...lol, Lee
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
...

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
...
spaghettie squash is a wonderful food, my favorite way to eat it is for
dessert, cook, then mix in butter, splenda and a touch of nutmeg, eat
warm or cold, Lee


Uck. I feel about that like you feel about black eyed peas. Or is it
lima beans?



  #74 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-08-2011, 05:07 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 881
Default Low carb diet

Julie Bove wrote:
snip

My job when I was a kid was to make the salad for dinner. We had
salad every night. I freaking HATE making salad and in no way shape
or form did making me do that make anything simpler for anyone. It
just caused a lot of fights between my mom and I.


Ha! I, too, was given the job of making the salad dressing and salad as a
kid. And although I love to cook, and do lots of it--and love salad-- making
salad is my LEAST favorite cooking activity. In fact, I often buy boxes
of baby romaine or mesclun instead of head lettuce because not having to
wash lettuce makes it more likely that I will force myself to make salad at
night.


  #75 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-08-2011, 05:35 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 173
Default Low carb diet

In article ,
"Janet" wrote:

Julie Bove wrote:
snip

My job when I was a kid was to make the salad for dinner. We had
salad every night. I freaking HATE making salad and in no way shape
or form did making me do that make anything simpler for anyone. It
just caused a lot of fights between my mom and I.


Ha! I, too, was given the job of making the salad dressing and salad as a
kid. And although I love to cook, and do lots of it--and love salad-- making
salad is my LEAST favorite cooking activity. In fact, I often buy boxes
of baby romaine or mesclun instead of head lettuce because not having to
wash lettuce makes it more likely that I will force myself to make salad at
night.


I have a Rubbermaid lettuce bowl with a little grid at the bottom. I
find that if I prep my lettuce when I get it home, I'm much more likely
to eat salad on a regular basis. I clean out the kitchen sink, fill it
with cold water, and soak the lettuce, tearing off any bits that I'm not
going to eat. If I notice a lot of sand or dirt on the lettuce, I drain
the sink and refill it. I then spin the lettuce (I have a large salad
spinner), and put it in the Rubbermaid bowl. It keeps for quite a while.
A large bunch of loose-leaf lettuce costs anywhere from $1.49-$2.99,
depending on store and season. And, at least from May-November or so,
the lettuce is local (and not trucked in from California)

When I do this, the basis for my salads is opening the fridge and taking
out the bowl of lettuce.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Critique of Owsley's zero carb diet Laurie Vegan 0 23-09-2007 06:21 PM
The Secret to Low-Carb Diet Success: Eat Less Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD General Cooking 1 04-12-2005 03:01 AM
Low carb diet- what to serve? CK General Cooking 12 10-12-2004 03:44 AM
Bad breath/low carb diet??? TOM KAN PA General Cooking 5 27-10-2004 02:52 AM
veg low carb diet? Michael Balarama Vegan 3 22-05-2004 05:46 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017