Old 21-01-2004, 07:22 PM
Peanutjake

Default Foodmakers Feeding Off Low-Carb Craze

Foodmakers Feeding Off Low-Carb Craze
Wed Jan 21,10:03 AM ET Add U.S. National - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Deborah Cohen

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Like prospectors chasing the California Gold Rush of 1849, companies seeking to
mine the low-carbohydrate eating craze are expected to show up in droves at a conference in Denver
this week.

The event promises to bring together the likes of well-known packaged food makers such as North
American leader Kraft Foods Inc., confectioner Hershey Foods Corp. and meat processor Tyson Foods
Inc.

There will also be a multitude of niche players specializing in products that appeal only to
adherents of low-carb diets like Atkins and South Beach.

Even big retailers like Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the largest U.S. grocery chain, will attend the
so-called LowCarbiz Summit, which begins on Thursday and runs for two days.

"This is an industry that has erupted over a period of 18 months," said Dean Rotbart, editor of
LowCarbiz.com, the online newsletter coordinating the event, which will cost attendees up to $800
apiece. "It went from a rocket sitting on a launch pad to a rocket zooming out of space."

Indeed, about 3.6 percent of the U.S. population is now following some form of a diet high in
proteins such as meat and chicken but limited in carbohydrates like bread and pasta and sugars,
according to NPD Group, a market research firm specializing in food trends, whose data surveyed
people through August.

Some researchers and health professionals remain skeptical of low-carb diets, especially Atkins,
which has been criticized for touting the benefits of liberal amounts of steak, eggs and fatty foods
linked with rising cholesterol and heart disease.

Atkins Nutritionals, the low-carb food and product maker founded by the late low-carb guru Robert
Atkins, has been telling health professionals in seminars to limit the amount of saturated fat that
its followers take in to 20 percent of calories.

The risks appear not to deter U.S. consumers, who are struggling with rising obesity rates and
related health problems. Low-carb versions of everything from Breyer's ice cream to Heinz tomato
ketchup have joined their traditional counterparts on grocers' shelves in recent months.

Big restaurant chains like Burger King are even getting into the act, catering to fast-food
customers with everything from bunless burgers to protein plates.

Still, some question how long the trend's momentum will continue.

"It will have a rapid rise here. It will last maybe two or three years," said NPD Vice President
Harry Balzer. "When it's all over, there will still be a low-carb contingent, but it will never be
the interest levels we're seeing right now."

On the agenda at the Colorado meeting are panel discussions on opportunities and risks, federal
regulation, the future of low-carb retailing and how to respond to diet naysayers, according to
materials provided by Rotbart.

Meals too, will stay on theme, featuring low-carb products sponsored by the likes of sandwich maker
Blimpie International, Rudi's Organic Bakery, and the Tortilla Factory, to name a few.

Rotbart said he expects some 400 attendees, including brand managers and marketing types from the
manufacturing and retailing communities. A second event is planned in Washington, D.C., in May.

"We believe companies have no choice but to respond to the low-carb movement with new products,"
wrote Morgan Stanley analyst William Pecoriello in a research report.

Old 21-01-2004, 08:26 PM
PJx

This is not a fad. It will NOT die out in 2 or 3 years.

PJ

Old 21-01-2004, 08:41 PM
Siobhan Perricone

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:26:45 -0600, PJx wrote:
Foodmakers Feeding Off Low-Carb Craze
Wed Jan 21,10:03 AM ET Add U.S. National - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Deborah Cohen

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Like prospectors chasing the California Gold Rush of 1849, companies seeking to
mine the low-carbohydrate eating craze are expected to show up in droves at a conference in Denver
this week.

This is not a fad. It will NOT die out in 2 or 3 years.

Yep. Because the factor none of them are taking into account is that
diabetics have been wanting this sort of product for *years*. I think that
they're really tapping into the before-under-served diabetics market in a
way they never did before, and it's not just Atkins dieters who are happy
with these options. I love a lot of this stuff! I have low-carb milk! Woo
woo! 2 carbs for a cup of chocolate milk? I'm THERE.

I never thought I'd ever be so happy to have a diet craze catch on.

--
Siobhan Perricone
The actions taken by the New Hampshire Episcopalians are an affront to
Old 21-01-2004, 08:54 PM
Joe

If such a thing can be said (and properly understood), there has never been
a better time to be diabetic. Hopefully, the low-carb "phenomenon" will
become etched in stone.

Old 21-01-2004, 09:49 PM
Julie Bove

"Peanutjake" wrote in message
Foodmakers Feeding Off Low-Carb Craze

snip

Yeah. I wonder how long it will take for this to go the way of low fat, oat
bran, and all the other food fads.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Old 21-01-2004, 09:53 PM
Julie Bove

"Siobhan Perricone" wrote in message
This is not a fad. It will NOT die out in 2 or 3 years.

Yep. Because the factor none of them are taking into account is that
diabetics have been wanting this sort of product for *years*.

We have? I never have. I prefer my food to be whole and natural. Whenever
food is doctored with, it scares me. I also don't do a low carb diet and
don't forsee myself ever doing so, with the exception of a few isolated days
here and there when my BG is going wacky.

I think that they're really tapping into the before-under-served diabetics

market in a
way they never did before, and it's not just Atkins dieters who are happy
with these options. I love a lot of this stuff! I have low-carb milk! Woo
woo! 2 carbs for a cup of chocolate milk? I'm THERE.

I see a lot of low carb stuff all full of soy. What's going to happen when
people start developing thyroid problems from eating all this soy?

I never thought I'd ever be so happy to have a diet craze catch on.

I think this will burn out rather quickly when people realize that they
can't eat as much as they want to of this stuff, just like they couldn't do
all you can eat low fat.

Old 21-01-2004, 10:48 PM
Jmmbear

In article , Siobhan Perricone
writes:

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Like prospectors chasing the California Gold Rush of

1849, companies seeking to
mine the low-carbohydrate eating craze are expected to show up in droves at

a conference in Denver
this week.

This is not a fad. It will NOT die out in 2 or 3 years.

Yep. Because the factor none of them are taking into account is that
diabetics have been wanting this sort of product for *years*. I think that
they're really tapping into the before-under-served diabetics market in a
way they never did before, and it's not just Atkins dieters who are happy
with these options. I love a lot of this stuff! I have low-carb milk! Woo
woo! 2 carbs for a cup of chocolate milk? I'm THERE.

I never thought I'd ever be so happy to have a diet craze catch on.

--
Siobhan Perricone

IMO most of the food that they are now decreasing the extra sugar in, didnt
need the extra sugar in the first place.. I mean really , does Nuriche really
need 50gr sugar added to it, to make it palatable?
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120
Old 22-01-2004, 12:57 AM
Beav

"Peanutjake" wrote in message
Foodmakers Feeding Off Low-Carb Craze
Wed Jan 21,10:03 AM ET Add U.S. National - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Deborah Cohen

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Like prospectors chasing the California Gold Rush of

1849, companies seeking to
mine the low-carbohydrate eating craze are expected to show up in droves

at a conference in Denver
this week.

How earth shattering. I NEVER expected that :-)))

Beav

Old 22-01-2004, 04:08 AM
Amal Shookup

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

I see a lot of low carb stuff all full of soy. What's going to happen when
people start developing thyroid problems from eating all this soy?

I would be surprised if people's metabolisms weren't already affected.
Lots of processed foods for years have contained soy, often in as
various forms of soybean oil. Soy burgers, tofu, and some of the
tempehs are fairly low in carbs, but none of them are exactly new
products. IMO the food industry could still stand to profit from a soy
campaign in this low carb climate.

-p
Old 22-01-2004, 12:27 PM
Judy_Gee

Sadly, there is no free lunch, but I have to say that the low carb
craze may have something for us diabetics.

Looking at the labels (and sticking to ice cream for now) the low-carb
ice cream is relatively high in fat (at least compared to the low fat
stuff).

If you divide nutrition into three groups: protein, fat, carbohydrate
(and there are a lot of other ways to do this) and assume that
protein+fat+carbohydrate=100 percent of the product, then when you CUT
one of the components, one or both of the others have to go up.

Judy G

Old 22-01-2004, 10:01 PM
Alan Mackenzie

Judy_Gee wrote on 22 Jan 2004 04:27:44 -0800:
Sadly, there is no free lunch, but I have to say that the low carb
craze may have something for us diabetics.

Looking at the labels (and sticking to ice cream for now) the low-carb
ice cream is relatively high in fat (at least compared to the low fat
stuff).

If you divide nutrition into three groups: protein, fat, carbohydrate
(and there are a lot of other ways to do this) and assume that
protein+fat+carbohydrate=100 percent of the product, then when you CUT
one of the components, one or both of the others have to go up.

That was always my argument against low-fat milk (yuck!) - "low-fat"
probably means "high carbohydrate". But then I realised it's not true.
"low-fat" could just mean "high water". And "low carbohydrate" could
just mean they fill it up with sawdust (or whatever).

Judy G

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: ; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

Old 22-01-2004, 10:41 PM
Beav

"Judy_Gee" wrote in message
Sadly, there is no free lunch, but I have to say that the low carb
craze may have something for us diabetics.

Looking at the labels (and sticking to ice cream for now) the low-carb
ice cream is relatively high in fat (at least compared to the low fat
stuff).

If you divide nutrition into three groups: protein, fat, carbohydrate
(and there are a lot of other ways to do this) and assume that
protein+fat+carbohydrate=100 percent of the product, then when you CUT
one of the components, one or both of the others have to go up.

Amazing lesson in maths there Judy:-)))

Beav

Old 22-01-2004, 10:45 PM
Beav

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Peanutjake" wrote in message
Foodmakers Feeding Off Low-Carb Craze

snip

Yeah. I wonder how long it will take for this to go the way of low fat,

oat
bran, and all the other food fads.

I don't get the "going the way of" statement at all. Low fat is the way to
go if you've got heart problems, and oat bran has ALWAYS been good for your
"lower end", and I've not seen much evidence of either disappearing.

Beav