Rose

Default Foodmakers Feeding Off Low-Carb Craze

On 21 Jan 2004 22:48:27 GMT, (Jmmbear) wrote:

>In article >, Siobhan Perricone
> writes:

>IMO most of the food that they are now decreasing the extra sugar in, didnt
>need the extra sugar in the first place.. I mean really , does Nuriche really
>need 50gr sugar added to it, to make it palatable?
>As always YMMV and this is JMO
>Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
>189/154/120

Problem is, other than the truly low-carb foods, what people who eat
the low-effective-carb foods are doing is replacing the sweet provided
by sugars with the sweet provided by sugar alcohols and artificial
sweetners. Some/many people think they can eat lots - and think,
consequently, that they can have their usual "sweet" and
weight-reduction. Unfortunately, many of the sugar-alcohol foods are
as calorie-dense as their old-fashioned sugar-containing ancestors.
Once people realize that they are not losing weight with THIS TYPE of
low-carb, will the demand for low-carb in general continue or go the
way of another failed fad?

(Also, are sugar alcohol and artificial sweetners are "healthy" foods?
Are people going to experience problems -other than flat wallets -
from their increased and extended use? If so, how will this affect
the low-carb market?)

Rose
T2