Alan Mackenzie

Default Foodmakers Feeding Off Low-Carb Craze

Judy_Gee > wrote on 22 Jan 2004 04:27:44 -0800:
> Sadly, there is no free lunch, but I have to say that the low carb
> craze may have something for us diabetics.

> Looking at the labels (and sticking to ice cream for now) the low-carb
> ice cream is relatively high in fat (at least compared to the low fat
> stuff).

> If you divide nutrition into three groups: protein, fat, carbohydrate
> (and there are a lot of other ways to do this) and assume that
> protein+fat+carbohydrate=100 percent of the product, then when you CUT
> one of the components, one or both of the others have to go up.

That was always my argument against low-fat milk (yuck!) - "low-fat"
probably means "high carbohydrate". But then I realised it's not true.
"low-fat" could just mean "high water". And "low carbohydrate" could
just mean they fill it up with sawdust (or whatever).

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: ; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter