Jmmbear

Default Foodmakers Feeding Off Low-Carb Craze

\
>Problem is, other than the truly low-carb foods, what people who eat
>the low-effective-carb foods are doing is replacing the sweet provided
>by sugars with the sweet provided by sugar alcohols and artificial
>sweetners.

That is because people have become so accustomed to VERY sweet things..
I find that most regular foods are too sweet for me now..
Many of these items have been switching to splenda which is Not a sugar
alchohol, but actually made from sugar... So not a bad susitute.. But either
way we eat way to much sugar anyway..

Some/many people think they can eat lots - and think,
>consequently, that they can have their usual "sweet" and
>weight-reduction.

People need to realize that it is like anything else Moderation.. Just because
it says lowcarb is not a licence to overeat and overindulge anything.

Unfortunately, many of the sugar-alcohol foods are
>as calorie-dense as their old-fashioned sugar-containing ancestors.
>Once people realize that they are not losing weight with THIS TYPE of
>low-carb, will the demand for low-carb in general continue or go the
>way of another failed fad?

Well, I lost 30lbs on it, but I learned very early on that I cannot eat great
amounts of these candys without there being a bill to pay.. Much of lowcarb is
just learning to eat properly again.. Fresh veggies, fish, chicken, fruit.. I
think that it isnt going to go away any time soon.. For that Im glad..It has
made the transition for me so much easier..

>(Also, are sugar alcohol and artificial sweetners are "healthy" foods?
>Are people going to experience problems -other than flat wallets -
>from their increased and extended use? If so, how will this affect
>the low-carb market?)
>
>Rose
>T2

Since sugar itself isnt exactly a healthy food, what is the difference? kwim?
We eat tons more sugar a year than we ever did.. We eat tons more junk food
than we ever did years ago.. We eat tons of quick/fast/unhealthy food all in
the name of convenience and speed.. So this just levels the playing field a
bit..

As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120