Old 10-12-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Water - I've seen the light!

I finished the spring water from MO that doesn't mention additional
processing and won't buy it again not only because it didn't taste as good,
but also because it left the nastiest-looking film on the surface of my tea
and down the inside sides of my clear tumbler and cloudy crud on the
formerly clean element of my electric kettle after only one gallon. I recall
someone in the past asking about film on the surface of tea, but I don't
recall what kind of water was used (and am too busy to google).

My good-tasting spring water from TX was processed by carbon filtration, UV
treatment, microfiltration, and ozonation.

--
~~Bluesea~~

"MarshalN" wrote in message
If you like it crisp and clean, try Iceland Spring. Very good.

It's actually a lot of fun drinking different kinds of water, bottled
or not, as a tasting on its own. You can tell which one's nice and
which one isn't.

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Bluesea wrote:
My tap water is terrible and I switched to drinking distilled water a

long
time ago, making tea with it, too. I know everybody says it makes tea

taste
flat, but it's been tasting fresh and crisp to me.

While in LA this past spring, where the water is even worse, I got tired

of
looking for water and paying deposits for the containers. I switched to
refilling my gallon jugs from a 25-cent RO machine. After a while of

doing
that, I got tired of lugging the jugs downstairs and up again and bought

Brita filtering pitcher.

About two weeks ago, I went back to distilled water out of curiosity.

I'm
supposed to change my filter, soon, and I wanted to see if I could tell

the
difference with tea made with distilled water and water made from the

old
filter and new filter. Distilled water stills gives me that fresh, crisp
sensation and on a whim, I bought a bottle of spring water.

Wow, what a difference! Yes, distilled water gives a distinctly flat
sensation to my tea while spring water gives a very nice, soft, rounded
feeling.

Unfortunately, my next bottle of spring water came from a different

store
and the spring is in a different state. The difference isn't as

remarkable
and I don't like it as much. It might be because the water wasn't

processed
the same.

So, now I get to be a connoisseur of spring waters as well as of teas

and
brewing methods to get the most from the experience.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old 11-12-2007, 02:16 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 2007-12-10, Danica wrote:

I would like to mention that my tea group in LA has tried a lot of
waters, the 365 Whole Foods water is preferred spring water.

(this is the same as Crystal Geyser, btw). I like Volvic as well, but
it's more expensive, has to travel farther, and doesn't come in gallon
bottles. Arrowhead Mills is the other brand that's commonly available
here, and its mineral content is all over the place. Sometimes it's
great, but sometimes it's got way too many dissolved solids in it.

I wish there were a way to refill water bottles with spring water, the
same way it is possible with filtered water.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:01 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Also, isn't it true that all tap water, no matter
where
it is, will be chlorinated and fluorized? I have no idea, but they'd
probably do it even if it wasn't necessary, just in case.

Yes to chlorination, no to fluoridization. My city, a large US city, has
yet to fluoridate its water supply, though it is considering it next year.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:50 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

We have Arrowhead as our main brand so I don't really know. Arrowhead
seems to have too many minerals for my taste--it has in the past left
my kettle scaly with calcium carbonate. Not every bottle will do it
but the mineral content is not standardized. You can call poland
spring and find out the PH and mineral content. Roy Fong swears that
neutral or alkaline water is better.

On Dec 10, 11:27 am, wrote:
On Dec 10, 3:49 am, Danica wrote:

I would like to mention that my tea group in LA has tried a lot of
waters, the 365 Whole Foods water is preferred spring water. However
a few of us swear by reverse osmosis water to which we add back a few
drops of concentrated ionic minerals (I use concentrace brand). It's
more consistent and better than most spring waters.

How does Poland compare to other spring waters?

Old 12-12-2007, 02:59 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Dec 11, 5:42 am, "Bluesea" wrote:
I finished the spring water from MO that doesn't mention additional
processing and won't buy it again not only because it didn't taste as good,
but also because it left the nastiest-looking film on the surface of my tea
and down the inside sides of my clear tumbler and cloudy crud on the
formerly clean element of my electric kettle after only one gallon. I recall
someone in the past asking about film on the surface of tea, but I don't
recall what kind of water was used (and am too busy to google).

That's probably a water with mineral content that's a bit too high.
You need to dilute it with something light.

My good-tasting spring water from TX was processed by carbon filtration, UV
treatment, microfiltration, and ozonation.

Sounds like filtered tap water there. Real spring waters don't go
through all these things... what's the point if it does?

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Old 12-12-2007, 05:42 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
SN SN is offline

doesnt it? it gets filtered thru all kinds of soil, if its out in the
sun it gets UV treatment

Old 13-12-2007, 07:51 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Dec 12, 3:50 am, Danica wrote:
We have Arrowhead as our main brand so I don't really know. Arrowhead
seems to have too many minerals for my taste--it has in the past left
my kettle scaly with calcium carbonate. Not every bottle will do it
but the mineral content is not standardized. You can call poland
spring and find out the PH and mineral content. Roy Fong swears that
neutral or alkaline water is better.

On their site they give a range that goes from just under neutral to
just
above. 5.9 to 7.16, if I remember right. Neutral is supposed to be
exactly 7. But I'm not sure how much spring water varies, maybe
they're all at least 5.9.

Old 25-04-2013, 06:20 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I use water bottles by Samantha Springs(http://www.samanthasprings.com). They offers three gallon and five gallon bottles, stylish hot & cold water dispensers, and handy 24-bottle 16.9 oz. or 10 oz. cases right to your door. The quality of water is really great.