Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
[email protected] andrei.avk@gmail.com is offline

Default Water - I've seen the light!

Bluesea wrote:
> > wrote in message
> >
> > I use poland spring water. I signed up for home delivery where they
> > give you
> > 5 huge bottles a month (for me about 2.5-3 is enough for month, so I
> > sometimes
> > will call them and tell them not to deliver one month). I believe they
> > are
> > 5 gallon bottles. Poland spring is the better tasting spring water of
> > the ones
> > I tried, as water, because I haven't tried others to make tea. Poland
> > spring
> > in 1/2 liter bottles (or smaller) is the best-tasting, it's
> > significantly better than
> > the water from 1 gallon or 5 gallon bottles. It's hard to describe but
> > it tastles
> > a little like very diluted carrot juice taste, and at the same time
> > this taste
> > seems to add freshness. It tastes almost as good as a really good tea.
> > By the way, these bottles are bottled from a different spring. In
> > fact, they list a number of springs on the bottle.

> Oho, a blend!
>
> > But it may be that this great
> > taste
> > is actually caused by the type of plastic they use for these bottles,

> There should be a triangle on the bottom with a numeral within the perimeter
> of the triangle. There should also be some letters under the base of the
> triangle. The codes I remember a
>
> 1 - PET/PETE
> 2 - HDPE
> 3 - ?
> 4 - LDPE
> 5 - PP
> 6 - ?
> 7 - Other. Some manufacturers are more specific and put PC or SA N or
> whatever.

Both small .5L and 3L bottle (I just checked, it's not a 1 gallon as I
thought),
are PETE. But smaller bottle's water is tastier. And the sources are
the
same except that small bottles include actual poland spring but the
larger
bottle does not. Both say and/or white cedar spring, so this may vary
by
bottle size too. I actually asked Poland spring on the phone once if
this
is something they're aware of, they pretended they have no idea what
I'm talking about (maybe they really have no idea.. maybe they don't
even
drink the water - tap is just fine, whatever).

> > I'm not
> > sure. If that is the case, you'd expect small bottles' water to taste
> > better
> > because ratio of inner plastic surface is greater. It may also be that
> > smaller bottles are fresher because they make better money on them
> > and they try to bring you the freshest water in them to encourage us
> > to buy these more expensive (per volume) bottles.

> The two sizes may also be made of different plastics. Some are definitely
> better than others. I prefer the #1 PET/PETE and #7 PC/SAN followed by the
> #4 LDPE. I don't recall what water smells or tastes like after being in a #5
> PP container, but I definitely don't like the odor or flavor that transfers
> from an HDPE container.
>
> > Anyway, the water in NY is reportedly one of the best in the country,
> > but I could never stand tap water - there's too much metallic taste.
> > It
> > may be in part because of my old building, though. Even the filter
> > doesn't do much to alleviate the metallic taste.

> How does tap water taste in a new building?

No idea.. I've been to old buildings only.. Actually once it was sort
of
a new building but they had a special very expensive filter system
installed
that was supposed to give some sort of spiritually clean water (I'm
not
kidding, and they payed about 15 hundred for the system).
It did taste better than regular filter water though. Not as good as
Poland.

> > I'd like to hear opinions on what spring water is best for teas.

> The only ones I've tried are from the Welpman Spring in Morgan County, MO
> and Samantha Springs of Keller, TX. The Welpman water is slightly salty and
> has a bite while the Samantha water is sweet and smooth. This was to drink,
> but that transfers over to tea, also. I prefer the Samantha water.
>
> > By the way, the method of boiling the water is also important for
> > taste.

> I haven't gotten that far. I can tell the difference between zapped water
> and boiled, but nothing else.

I never tried microwave. We threw ours out anyway. Microwave isn't
even
good for the food, I'm sure it's even worse for tea.