Melba's Jammin'

Default Continuing Adventures in Grits

I decided to try the cheesy grits thing this morning. cooked the grits,
stirred a couple torn-up slices of fat free sharp cheddar into it,
sprinkled some onion powder, Sunny Paris, and black pepper on it and
stirred. It was ok, I guess, but I'll stick to plain, I think.
Curiosity has been satisfied.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
"Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton
Peter Aitken

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>I decided to try the cheesy grits thing this morning. cooked the grits,
> stirred a couple torn-up slices of fat free sharp cheddar into it,
> sprinkled some onion powder, Sunny Paris, and black pepper on it and
> stirred. It was ok, I guess, but I'll stick to plain, I think.
> Curiosity has been satisfied.
> --

Perhaps you might try real cheese, fat and all, and lose the onion powder.
And did you use regular grits or instant? Ingredients can make all the
difference in the world.

--
Peter Aitken

The Ranger

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message
> I decided to try the cheesy grits thing this morning. cooked the

grits,
> stirred a couple torn-up slices of fat free sharp cheddar into it,
> sprinkled some onion powder, Sunny Paris, and black pepper on it and
> stirred. It was ok, I guess, but I'll stick to plain, I think.
> Curiosity has been satisfied.

Indeed! Why would you think sand and Elmer's Paste would be improved by
adding anything to it?

YUCK!

The Ranger
--
Grits are a travesty, an evil, perpetrated by the South against the
North in our never-ending War Between the States. If you were served

Dee Randall

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message
>> I decided to try the cheesy grits thing this morning. cooked the

> grits,
>> stirred a couple torn-up slices of fat free sharp cheddar into it,
>> sprinkled some onion powder, Sunny Paris, and black pepper on it and
>> stirred. It was ok, I guess, but I'll stick to plain, I think.
>> Curiosity has been satisfied.

> Indeed! Why would you think sand and Elmer's Paste would be improved by
> adding anything to it?
>
> YUCK!
>
> The Ranger
> --
> Grits are a travesty, an evil, perpetrated by the South against the
> North in our never-ending War Between the States. If you were served
> this dish as a child, you would have been psychologically traumatized.
> They are the most foul-tasting gruel that has ever been invented by one
> group and foisted on another group of humans. This "dish" is used as a
> way of showing that the day can't get any worse. Look at how, as if
> further proof is needed, many people prefer to eat them; heavily salted
> and floating in a tub of butter, covered in gravy, cheese, or other
> substances -- all in a vain effort to fool the tortured soul eating them
> into thinking the taste and texture might possibly be edible!

Tell it to the Italians.
Polenta!
Dee

The Ranger

Dee Randall > wrote in message
> "The Ranger" > wrote in message

> > Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message

> > > I decided to try the cheesy grits thing this morning. cooked the
> > > grits, stirred a couple torn-up slices of fat free sharp cheddar
> > > into it, sprinkled some onion powder, Sunny Paris, and black
> > > pepper on it and stirred. It was ok, I guess, but I'll stick to
> > > plain, I think. Curiosity has been satisfied.
> > >

> > Indeed! Why would you think sand and Elmer's Paste would
> > be improved by adding anything to it?
> >
> > YUCK!
> >
> > The Ranger
> > --
> > Grits are a travesty, an evil, perpetrated by the South against the
> > North in our never-ending War Between the States. If you were
> > served this dish as a child, you would have been psychologically
> > traumatized. They are the most foul-tasting gruel that has ever
> > been invented by one group and foisted on another group of
> > humans. This "dish" is used as a way of showing that the day
> > can't get any worse. Look at how, as if further proof is needed,
> > many people prefer to eat them; heavily salted and floating in
> > a tub of butter, covered in gravy, cheese, or other substances
> > -- all in a vain effort to fool the tortured soul eating them
> > into thinking the taste and texture might possibly be edible!
> >

> Tell it to the Italians.
> Polenta!

I'm none too fond of polenta, as you might guess, either. I'd much
rather have something else (risotto) as a side...

The Ranger

Dee Randall

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> Dee Randall > wrote in message

>> > Indeed! Why would you think sand and Elmer's Paste would
>> > be improved by adding anything to it?
>> >
>> > YUCK!
>> >
>> > The Ranger
>> > --
>> > Grits are a travesty, an evil, perpetrated by the South against the
>> > North in our never-ending War Between the States. If you were
>> > served this dish as a child, you would have been psychologically
>> > traumatized. They are the most foul-tasting gruel that has ever
>> > been invented by one group and foisted on another group of
>> > humans. This "dish" is used as a way of showing that the day
>> > can't get any worse. Look at how, as if further proof is needed,
>> > many people prefer to eat them; heavily salted and floating in
>> > a tub of butter, covered in gravy, cheese, or other substances
>> > -- all in a vain effort to fool the tortured soul eating them
>> > into thinking the taste and texture might possibly be edible!
>> >

>> Tell it to the Italians.
>> Polenta!

> I'm none too fond of polenta, as you might guess, either. I'd much
> rather have something else (risotto) as a side...
>
> The Ranger

Yes, for me they are both murderously difficult to stir - polenta/grits
being worse than risotto. I haven't made risotto in quite a while, but
should make some soon. Just can't stand the chicken broth in it. I need
some alternative to water or vegetable/herbal broth that I would normally
use. Any ideas?
Dee

The Ranger

Dee Randall > asked in message
==> Risotto <==
> Just can't stand the chicken broth in it. I need some alternative
> to water or vegetable/herbal broth that I would normally use.
> Any ideas?

Hmmm. None that I can think of. You tanked my normal two substitution
for risotto... <G> I'll asked my MIL. If there's an alternative, she'll
know of it.

The Ranger

notbob

On 2005-05-18, Dee Randall > wrote:

> Yes, for me they are both murderously difficult to stir - polenta/grits
> being worse than risotto.

Try cooking in a double boiler. It take longer, about 1-1/2 hrs, but
it's a no-attention-required approach.

nb
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 18 May 2005 08:48:08a, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "The Ranger" > wrote in message
>> Dee Randall > wrote in message

>>> Tell it to the Italians.
>>> Polenta!

>> I'm none too fond of polenta, as you might guess, either. I'd much
>> rather have something else (risotto) as a side...
>>
>> The Ranger
>>

> Yes, for me they are both murderously difficult to stir - polenta/grits
> being worse than risotto. I haven't made risotto in quite a while, but
> should make some soon. Just can't stand the chicken broth in it. I need
> some alternative to water or vegetable/herbal broth that I would normally
> use. Any ideas?
> Dee

Champagne

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Dee Randall

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2005-05-18, Dee Randall > wrote:
>
>> Yes, for me they are both murderously difficult to stir - polenta/grits
>> being worse than risotto.

> Try cooking in a double boiler. It take longer, about 1-1/2 hrs, but
> it's a no-attention-required approach.
>
> nb

I forgot to add that that last few times I've made polenta, I made a baked
polenta, a recipe that I got from the internet. It gives the recipe for
different firmness of the polenta when it is done; i.e. for serving like a
slack grits, to firm for frying. It does work.

But the other day when the discussion was going on about grits, I did cook
them on top of the stove, but after about 5 minutes, it is my husband that
does the stirring; I just can't do it anymore. They were full grain/organic
and I cooked them firm enough for frying; that's the type that is hard to
finish off. As the grain was full-grain, it did take a full 20 minutes of
stirring to get past the al dente (bite) test.

As an aside, to me, grits and polenta are one and the same. I've a little
experience with both -- (I know -- "just enough to make me dangerous.")
Dee

Dee Randall

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Wed 18 May 2005 08:48:08a, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> I'm none too fond of polenta, as you might guess, either. I'd much
>>> rather have something else (risotto) as a side...
>>>
>>> The Ranger
>>>

>> Yes, for me they are both murderously difficult to stir - polenta/grits
>> being worse than risotto. I haven't made risotto in quite a while, but
>> should make some soon. Just can't stand the chicken broth in it. I need
>> some alternative to water or vegetable/herbal broth that I would normally
>> use. Any ideas?
>> Dee
>>

> Champagne

Whoa -- good idea!!!
Dee

Kate Connally

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I decided to try the cheesy grits thing this morning. cooked the grits,
> stirred a couple torn-up slices of fat free sharp cheddar into it,
> sprinkled some onion powder, Sunny Paris, and black pepper on it and
> stirred. It was ok, I guess, but I'll stick to plain, I think.
> Curiosity has been satisfied.

Don't you think it could have been the fat free cheese rather
than the whole cheese grits concept? I love cheese grits but
don't think they'd be very tasty with fat free cheese in them.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 18 May 2005 10:24:04a, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

>>> Yes, for me they are both murderously difficult to stir -
>>> polenta/grits being worse than risotto. I haven't made risotto in
>>> quite a while, but should make some soon. Just can't stand the
>>> chicken broth in it. I need some alternative to water or
>>> vegetable/herbal broth that I would normally use. Any ideas?
>>> Dee
>>>

>> Champagne
>>

> Whoa -- good idea!!!
> Dee

This would be nice with shaved truffles.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Elaine Parrish

On Wed, 18 May 2005, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I decided to try the cheesy grits thing this morning. cooked the grits,
> stirred a couple torn-up slices of fat free sharp cheddar into it,
> sprinkled some onion powder, Sunny Paris, and black pepper on it and
> stirred. It was ok, I guess, but I'll stick to plain, I think.
> Curiosity has been satisfied.
> --
> -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
> "Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton

Tee hee hee. I'm with you! I want grits with butter or bacon drippins
(yes, that is a real word "'round here" <g>) or red-eye gravy and salt and
pepper. I have
seen it all - with cheese, with sawmill gravy, with tomato gravy, with
ketchup. sheesh. The worst, tho, was grape jelly. boo, hiss. It oughta be
a crime! <vbg>

Elaine, too

Nancy Young

"Dee Randall" > wrote

> Tell it to the Italians.
> Polenta!

Okay, Italians, Polenta SUCKS.

nancy

The Ranger

Nancy Young > wrote in message
> "Dee Randall" > wrote
> > Tell it to the Italians.
> > Polenta!
> >

> Okay, Italians, Polenta SUCKS.

YEAH!!! <massive applause>

The Ranger

Felice Friese

"Elaine Parrish" > wrote in message

> On Wed, 18 May 2005, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> I decided to try the cheesy grits thing this morning. cooked the grits,
>> stirred a couple torn-up slices of fat free sharp cheddar into it,
>> sprinkled some onion powder, Sunny Paris, and black pepper on it and
>> stirred. It was ok, I guess, but I'll stick to plain, I think.
>> Curiosity has been satisfied.
>> --
>> -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
>> "Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi
>> Sheraton
>>

> Tee hee hee. I'm with you! I want grits with butter or bacon drippins
> (yes, that is a real word "'round here" <g>) or red-eye gravy and salt and
> pepper. I have
> seen it all - with cheese, with sawmill gravy, with tomato gravy, with
> ketchup. sheesh. The worst, tho, was grape jelly. boo, hiss. It oughta be
> a crime! <vbg>
>
> Elaine, too

Likewise. Butter only, but served with bacon, thank you.

Felice

Dee Randall

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Wed 18 May 2005 10:24:04a, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Champagne
>>>

>> Whoa -- good idea!!!
>> Dee

> This would be nice with shaved truffles.

Jeez, Wayne, I've NEVER had truffles. Not that I wouldn't like to taste one,
though. Such knarley little things at hundreds of dollars a pound. I love
to see the dogs on Food Network out searching for them, but no dog slobber
or Tyler's little fingers on them, PLEASE.
Dee

Gal Called Jani

One time on Usenet, "Elaine Parrish" > wrote:

> with sawmill gravy

What is sawmill gravy?

--
Jani in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
Gal Called Jani

One time on Usenet, (Gal Called Jani) said:
> One time on Usenet, "Elaine Parrish" > wrote:
>
> > with sawmill gravy

> What is sawmill gravy?

Well, I've never been known for patience, so I Googled it:

http://www.recipezaar.com/118153

Sawmill Gravy #118153
From Southern Living this homestyle gravy is good stuff!

1/2 lb pork sausage
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 1/4 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning (optional)

1. Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, crumbling and
cooking until no longer pink.
2. Remove sausage and wipe skillet.
3. Melt butter in same skillet over low heat.
4. Whisk in flour and stir until smooth, about 1 minute.
5. Whisk in milk gradually and cook, stirring constantly until thickend
and bubbly (about 12 minutes).
6. Stir in sausage, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning if desired.

Okay, it's sausage gravy, which I love...

--
Jani in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~

jmcquown

Gal Called Jani wrote:
> One time on Usenet, (Gal Called Jani)
> said:
>> One time on Usenet, "Elaine Parrish" > wrote:
>>
>>> with sawmill gravy

>> What is sawmill gravy?

> Well, I've never been known for patience, so I Googled it:

http://www.recipezaar.com/118153

> Sawmill Gravy #118153
> From Southern Living this homestyle gravy is good stuff!
>
> 1/2 lb pork sausage
> 1/4 cup butter
> 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
> 3 1/4 cups milk
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
> 1/8 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning (optional)

(snippage)
> Okay, it's sausage gravy, which I love...

Yeah, and skip the Italian seasoning! Sheesh, who decided to put *that* in
there?

Jill

jmcquown

> On Wed, 18 May 2005 10:07:13 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>> I decided to try the cheesy grits thing this morning. cooked the
>> grits,
>> stirred a couple torn-up slices of fat free sharp cheddar into it,
>> sprinkled some onion powder, Sunny Paris, and black pepper on it and
>> stirred. It was ok, I guess, but I'll stick to plain, I think.
>> Curiosity has been satisfied.

> Cheese or any thing attempting to play cheese should never come in
> contact with grits. Absolutely plain from the pot would be levels
> above grits with cheese.
>
> I also don't think all the spices helped either.
>
> Grits with butter, grits with butter & sugar, a sprinkle of salt (and
> I am saltaholic, I mean a sprinkle), and/or mixed with real bacon or
> sausage pieces great. Even pour on some real maple syrup or honey,
> but never cheese.
>
> I don't know who came up with this idea of adding cheese, but its a
> good way of ruining grits as far as I am concerned.

Nonsense. Grits and cheese are a natural. The non-fat cheese was the
ruination point, IMO. A good cheese-grits casserole has *real* shredded
cheese and garlic. Sunny Paris? Onion powder? Uh, no.

White Cheddar Grits make a wonderful side dish.

2-1/2 c. milk
dash or two of salt
1/2 c. quick cooking (NOT instant) grits
2 Tbs. heavy cream
1 Tbs. butter
1/4 c. grated white cheddar cheese

Bring milk with salt and butter to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium
heat. Slowly add the grits, stirring to avoid lumps. Cook over medium
heat, stirring occasionally, until grits are tender and slightly thick,
about 15 minutes. Add the heavy cream and 1/4 cup of cheese, stirring until
cheese is melted. Season with salt & pepper.

Jill

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 18 May 2005 01:47:46p, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

>>> Whoa -- good idea!!!
>>> Dee

>> This would be nice with shaved truffles.
>>

> Jeez, Wayne, I've NEVER had truffles. Not that I wouldn't like to taste
> one, though. Such knarley little things at hundreds of dollars a pound.
> I love to see the dogs on Food Network out searching for them, but no
> dog slobber or Tyler's little fingers on them, PLEASE.
> Dee

I agree, no slobber! Ugh! Dee, not all truffles are terribly expensive,
and AFAIC I think the less expensive ones are quite tasty enough for me.
You might have a look around. Remember, too, that it doesn't take much
truffle to flavor a dish.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Damsel

"The Ranger" > said:

>Grits are a travesty, an evil, perpetrated by the South against the
>North in our never-ending War Between the States. If you were served
>this dish as a child, you would have been psychologically traumatized.
>They are the most foul-tasting gruel that has ever been invented by one
>group and foisted on another group of humans. This "dish" is used as a
>way of showing that the day can't get any worse. Look at how, as if
>further proof is needed, many people prefer to eat them; heavily salted
>and floating in a tub of butter, covered in gravy, cheese, or other
>substances -- all in a vain effort to fool the tortured soul eating them
>into thinking the taste and texture might possibly be edible!

Two words:
Sugar
Milk

Carol
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Kate Connally
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > I decided to try the cheesy grits thing this morning. cooked the grits,
> > stirred a couple torn-up slices of fat free sharp cheddar into it,
> > sprinkled some onion powder, Sunny Paris, and black pepper on it and
> > stirred. It was ok, I guess, but I'll stick to plain, I think.
> > Curiosity has been satisfied.

> Don't you think it could have been the fat free cheese rather
> than the whole cheese grits concept? I love cheese grits but
> don't think they'd be very tasty with fat free cheese in them.
>
> Kate

Actually, that fat free cheese stuff is okay as far as I'm concerned.
Understand that I'm not a cheese connoisseur so as long as it tasted
even a little "cheesy" I was okay. And the no-fat thing is important
right now.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
"Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton
The Ranger

Damsel > wrote in message
> "The Ranger" > said:
> >Grits are a travesty, an evil, perpetrated by the South against the
> >North in our never-ending War Between the States.

[snip]
> Two words:
> Sugar
> Milk

I match your two words and raise you three:
Cream
Of
Wheat

The Ranger

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 18 May 2005 02:48:39p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Gal Called Jani wrote:
>> One time on Usenet, (Gal Called Jani)
>> said:

>>> What is sawmill gravy?

>> Well, I've never been known for patience, so I Googled it:

http://www.recipezaar.com/118153

>> Sawmill Gravy #118153
>> From Southern Living this homestyle gravy is good stuff!
>>
>> 1/2 lb pork sausage
>> 1/4 cup butter
>> 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
>> 3 1/4 cups milk
>> 1/2 teaspoon salt
>> 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
>> 1/8 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning (optional)
>>

> (snippage)
>> Okay, it's sausage gravy, which I love...

> Yeah, and skip the Italian seasoning! Sheesh, who decided to put *that*
> in there?
>
> Jill

The Southern Italians?

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Dee Randall

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Wed 18 May 2005 01:47:46p, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> This would be nice with shaved truffles.
>>>

>> Jeez, Wayne, I've NEVER had truffles. Not that I wouldn't like to taste
>> one, though. Such knarley little things at hundreds of dollars a pound.
>> I love to see the dogs on Food Network out searching for them, but no
>> dog slobber or Tyler's little fingers on them, PLEASE.
>> Dee

> I agree, no slobber! Ugh! Dee, not all truffles are terribly expensive,
> and AFAIC I think the less expensive ones are quite tasty enough for me.
> You might have a look around. Remember, too, that it doesn't take much
> truffle to flavor a dish.

Wayne, when I'm in NYC I'll give a look-see. I can't remember what I was
pricing the other day in the food department online in NYC, but I noticed
that items were just as expensive here -- and there's a heck of a lot of
things you can't get here either. Now, NYC restaurants compared, that's
another story.
Thanks for the push!
Dee

Arri London

Dee Randall wrote:

> "The Ranger"

<snip>

> > I'm none too fond of polenta, as you might guess, either. I'd much
> > rather have something else (risotto) as a side...
> >
> > The Ranger
> >

> Yes, for me they are both murderously difficult to stir - polenta/grits
> being worse than risotto. I haven't made risotto in quite a while, but
> should make some soon. Just can't stand the chicken broth in it. I need
> some alternative to water or vegetable/herbal broth that I would normally
> use. Any ideas?
> Dee

Any other meat or fish broth would do depending on with what the polenta
is served. Also try a mix of white wine and water (about 50-50). Milk
would make a sweet polenta.

jmcquown

Arri London wrote:
> Dee Randall wrote:
>>
>> "The Ranger"

> <snip>
>

>>> I'm none too fond of polenta, as you might guess, either. I'd much
>>> rather have something else (risotto) as a side...
>>>
>>> The Ranger
>>>

>> Yes, for me they are both murderously difficult to stir -
>> polenta/grits being worse than risotto. I haven't made risotto in
>> quite a while, but should make some soon. Just can't stand the
>> chicken broth in it. I need some alternative to water or
>> vegetable/herbal broth that I would normally use. Any ideas?
>> Dee

> Any other meat or fish broth would do depending on with what the
> polenta is served. Also try a mix of white wine and water (about
> 50-50). Milk would make a sweet polenta.

She was talking about substitutions for chicken broth in risotto, not
polenta.

Jill

jmcquown

The Ranger wrote:
> Damsel > wrote in message
>> "The Ranger" > said:
>>> Grits are a travesty, an evil, perpetrated by the South against the
>>> North in our never-ending War Between the States.

> [snip]
>> Two words:
>> Sugar
>> Milk

> I match your two words and raise you three:
> Cream
> Of
> Wheat
>
> The Ranger

UGH! (laughing)

Bob

Jani provided from Google:

> http://www.recipezaar.com/118153
>
> Sawmill Gravy #118153
> From Southern Living this homestyle gravy is good stuff!
>
> 1/2 lb pork sausage
> 1/4 cup butter
> 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
> 3 1/4 cups milk
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
> 1/8 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning (optional)
>
> 1. Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, crumbling and
> cooking until no longer pink.
> 2. Remove sausage and wipe skillet.
> 3. Melt butter in same skillet over low heat.
> 4. Whisk in flour and stir until smooth, about 1 minute.
> 5. Whisk in milk gradually and cook, stirring constantly until thickend
> and bubbly (about 12 minutes).
> 6. Stir in sausage, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning if desired.
>
> Okay, it's sausage gravy, which I love...

Hm. Does anybody else find it odd that the sausage renderings are dumped,
then butter is added to the pan? I'd just cook the flour in the grease from
the sausage, although I'd probably use less flour than the recipe calls for.
Moreover, the sausage grease has been flavored with the spices from the
sausage already, so I doubt that I'd use the Italian seasoning. If I *did*
add some additional seasoning, maybe I'd use a bit of nutmeg. Or some savory
(but not both savory *and* nutmeg), depending on what was supposed to
accompany the gravy.

Y'know, I bet this would go well with collard greens; kind of a takeoff on
creamed spinach. Has anybody tried something like that?

Bob

notbob

On 2005-05-18, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Understand that I'm not a cheese connoisseur so as long as it tasted
> even a little "cheesy" I was okay.

I wonder how that Kraft cheese powder would work? Sounds like a
natural for grits. Do they still sell it separate from the macaroni?

nb
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

> "The Ranger" > said:
>
> >Grits are a travesty, an evil, perpetrated by the South against
> >the North in our never-ending War Between the States. If you were
> >served this dish as a child, you would have been psychologically
> >traumatized. They are the most foul-tasting gruel that has ever
> >been invented by one group and foisted on another group of
> >humans. This "dish" is used as a way of showing that the day
> >can't get any worse. Look at how, as if further proof is needed,
> >many people prefer to eat them; heavily salted and floating in a
> >tub of butter, covered in gravy, cheese, or other substances --
> >all in a vain effort to fool the tortured soul eating them into
> >thinking the taste and texture might possibly be edible!

Tell them Brother Ranger! Preach the truth to the Misinformed Heathen
Grit Eaters! Do I hear a Amen?

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, notbob
> wrote:

> On 2005-05-18, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>

> > Understand that I'm not a cheese connoisseur so as long as it tasted
> > even a little "cheesy" I was okay.

> I wonder how that Kraft cheese powder would work? Sounds like a
> natural for grits. Do they still sell it separate from the macaroni?
>
> nb

Ida Know. Sam's has it, I think. I'll still stick with plain with
Butter Buds and black pepper.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
"Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton
The Ranger

Reverend Frere Fromage du Pollet > pounded his
pulpit and spake in message
> > "The Ranger" > said:
> > > Grits are a travesty, an evil, perpetrated by the South against
> > > the North in our never-ending War Between the States. If you
> > > were served this dish as a child, you would have been
> > > psychologically traumatized. They are the most foul-tasting
> > > gruel that has ever been invented by one group and foisted
> > > on another group of humans. This "dish" is used as a way
> > > of showing that the day can't get any worse. Look at how,
> > > as if further proof is needed, many people prefer to eat
> > > them; heavily salted and floating in a tub of butter, covered
> > > in gravy, cheese, or other substances -- all in a vain effort
> > > to fool the tortured soul eating them into thinking the taste
> > > and texture might possibly be edible!

> Tell them Brother Ranger! Preach the truth to the Misinformed
> Heathen Grit Eaters! Do I hear a Amen?

Amen!! And Halleluiah. Now, pass that ammunition and we'll pick off
those Johnny Rebs one at a time as they poke their collective noses
forward.

The "Grit-Free" Ranger

Elaine Parrish

On Wed, 18 May 2005, Gal Called Jani wrote:

> One time on Usenet, "Elaine Parrish" > wrote:
>
> > with sawmill gravy

> What is sawmill gravy?
>
> --
> Jani in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~

Sawmill gravy is a name given to "milk gravy" (roux = fat (usually bacon
or sausage drippins) and flour. Thinned with milk) that has added to it
(the
final product), chunks of cooked sausage. This is laddled over biscuits
(great big {around) biscuits = "cat head" biscuits)

The name came from back in the days when lumberjacks worked for a mill and
lived in a camp setting. Part of the deal was that the mill fed the men.
Gravy and bread for breakfast was cheap, hearty, and filling, so it became
a staple on the menu. The name was adopted as a descriptor. "Gravy"
had a lot of varieties, but "sawmill gravy" eliminated any confusion.

It's mighty good stuff on a cold winter's morning or for "supper" -
esp. with fried eggs and grits - some cold, dark night when you have on
your fuzzy slippers and comfy jammies.

Elaine, too

Elaine Parrish

On Wed, 18 May 2005, jmcquown wrote:

> Gal Called Jani wrote:
> > One time on Usenet, (Gal Called Jani)
> > said:

> >> What is sawmill gravy?

> > Well, I've never been known for patience, so I Googled it:

http://www.recipezaar.com/118153

> > Sawmill Gravy #118153
> > From Southern Living this homestyle gravy is good stuff!
> >
> > 1/2 lb pork sausage
> > 1/4 cup butter
> > 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
> > 3 1/4 cups milk
> > 1/2 teaspoon salt
> > 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
> > 1/8 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning (optional)
> >

> (snippage)
> > Okay, it's sausage gravy, which I love...

> Yeah, and skip the Italian seasoning! Sheesh, who decided to put *that* in
> there?
>
> Jill

Ain't that just the truth! Italian seasoning, indeed! And what is this
about "remove sausage and WIPE PAN"???? That's just plain wrong! Why, it
is sacriledge!!!! If you can fry sausage and "just wipe the pan",
you got some rotten-ass sausage! There should be 2 inches of
heaven ...er, uh, drippins in that pan. Butter?? are they making gravy or
white sauce??

Uh, oh, sounds like there's Yankees in them thar Southern Living pages.
Git the shotgun!

Elaine, too

Bob (this one)

Dee Randall wrote:

> Yes, for me they are both murderously difficult to stir - polenta/grits
> being worse than risotto. I haven't made risotto in quite a while, but
> should make some soon. Just can't stand the chicken broth in it. I need
> some alternative to water or vegetable/herbal broth that I would normally
> use. Any ideas?

Any stock will work. Turkey, beef, fish, shrimp, venison...

Dilute wine (100% wine doesn't taste very good) or juices added to
stocks. Champagne is too sharp, especially the dry stuff. A little cream
in any stock.

Clam juice. Court bouillon. Virtually any cooking liquid that tastes good.

Pastorio

The continuing saga of my correspondence with Jarden Melba's Jammin' Preserving 8 16-10-2008 08:14 PM
Continuing disasters Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 6 03-04-2008 05:35 PM
Continuing Stove Saga MoM General Cooking 10 07-01-2006 10:38 PM
Continuing Stove saga MoM Baking 4 07-01-2006 03:33 AM
Derek's continuing stupid and untenable lie about grass-fed beef Derek Vegan 57 12-09-2005 05:18 AM