Bob

Jani provided from Google:

> http://www.recipezaar.com/118153
>
> Sawmill Gravy #118153
> From Southern Living this homestyle gravy is good stuff!
>
> 1/2 lb pork sausage
> 1/4 cup butter
> 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
> 3 1/4 cups milk
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
> 1/8 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning (optional)
>
> 1. Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, crumbling and
> cooking until no longer pink.
> 2. Remove sausage and wipe skillet.
> 3. Melt butter in same skillet over low heat.
> 4. Whisk in flour and stir until smooth, about 1 minute.
> 5. Whisk in milk gradually and cook, stirring constantly until thickend
> and bubbly (about 12 minutes).
> 6. Stir in sausage, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning if desired.
>
> Okay, it's sausage gravy, which I love...

Hm. Does anybody else find it odd that the sausage renderings are dumped,
then butter is added to the pan? I'd just cook the flour in the grease from
the sausage, although I'd probably use less flour than the recipe calls for.
Moreover, the sausage grease has been flavored with the spices from the
sausage already, so I doubt that I'd use the Italian seasoning. If I *did*
add some additional seasoning, maybe I'd use a bit of nutmeg. Or some savory
(but not both savory *and* nutmeg), depending on what was supposed to
accompany the gravy.

Y'know, I bet this would go well with collard greens; kind of a takeoff on
creamed spinach. Has anybody tried something like that?

Bob