Dee Randall

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2005-05-18, Dee Randall > wrote:
>
>> Yes, for me they are both murderously difficult to stir - polenta/grits
>> being worse than risotto.

> Try cooking in a double boiler. It take longer, about 1-1/2 hrs, but
> it's a no-attention-required approach.
>
> nb

I forgot to add that that last few times I've made polenta, I made a baked
polenta, a recipe that I got from the internet. It gives the recipe for
different firmness of the polenta when it is done; i.e. for serving like a
slack grits, to firm for frying. It does work.

But the other day when the discussion was going on about grits, I did cook
them on top of the stove, but after about 5 minutes, it is my husband that
does the stirring; I just can't do it anymore. They were full grain/organic
and I cooked them firm enough for frying; that's the type that is hard to
finish off. As the grain was full-grain, it did take a full 20 minutes of
stirring to get past the al dente (bite) test.

As an aside, to me, grits and polenta are one and the same. I've a little
experience with both -- (I know -- "just enough to make me dangerous.")
Dee