Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Continuing disasters

What a week. Last week the drain line from my sump pump was backing up.
I did a half assed job to get it cleaned out last week but the ground
was still covered in snow and the ground frozen. I was able to dig a
whole and remove a section to let it drain into the hole and across the
line, but had to wait until Monday to get it properly cleared.

Yesterday the washing machine was not filling. I occasionally get a
buildup of sand in the inline mesh filtre thanks to sandy well water.
It is a bitch of a job to get that line on and off, but I managed. The
water seemed to be running much faster than it has for months.
Meanwhile, my wide advised me that the sump pump line was leaking.
Simple fix... just tighten up the connection.

This morning I was out raking up branches and my wife came running out
to tell me that washing machine had overflowed. Not only did it flood
the laundry room, but it was dripping down into the basement and on top
of the furnace.

So off I go to the basement to clean up the mess down there. All I had
to do was squeeggee the water over to the steps and into the lower paart
of the cellar where the sump pump is. That was when I discovered that
when I tightened the union connection I had rotated the pump just enough
that the float switch jammed on the side of the sump hole, preventing it
from rising with the water in the sump. So I had 6 inches of water down
there. Luckily the drain line had been cleaned out and 15 minutes later
the water was gone. Now the fan is running to help dry it up down there.

So as soon as that was done I headed into town to my friend's furniture
and appliance store to get a new washer. The old one is 15 years old and
my wife has been complaining about it for the last year. I bought new
energy efficient front loaded. It is supposed to use less energy, less
water and less detergent.

It's early afternoon. I wonder what else can go wrong today.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote

> So as soon as that was done I headed into town to my friend's furniture
> and appliance store to get a new washer. The old one is 15 years old and
> my wife has been complaining about it for the last year. I bought new
> energy efficient front loaded. It is supposed to use less energy, less
> water and less detergent.
>
> It's early afternoon. I wonder what else can go wrong today.

Oh, man, you've been through it. Some days are like that. I hope
it's nice and quiet the rest of the day.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> What a week.

<some snippage>

> It's early afternoon. I wonder what else can go wrong today.

Sounds like you've had 3 Mondays this week - my sympathy. Hope things
get better soon.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Monday is a lousy way to spend one seventh of your life.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
> > What a week.
> >

> <some snippage>
> >
> > It's early afternoon. I wonder what else can go wrong today.
> >

> Sounds like you've had 3 Mondays this week - my sympathy. Hope things
> get better soon.

It could be getting better. When they delivered and set up the new washing
machine they discovered that the heavy duty extension cord that the old
machine had been plugged into was faulty and had been arcing, a serious
fire hazard.
When I tested the new machine I thought there may be a problem with it. It
sounded like it wasn't doing anything. It turns out that it is just
really, really quiet. I will have to learn to set timers to let me know
when load should be done instead of sitting around waiting for the noise
to stop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 14:27:24 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>It's early afternoon. I wonder what else can go wrong today.

Let's just hope your septic tank pump doesn't die.

(been there...)

Jo Anne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> It's early afternoon. I wonder what else can go wrong today.

Yikes, Dave!

--
Leah: That were a wee bit repulsive.
Buffy: Went okay. 'Cept I feel a little wierd about using a
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 2, 1:27 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> What a week. Last week the drain line from my sump pump was backing up.
> I did a half assed job to get it cleaned out last week but the ground
> was still covered in snow and the ground frozen. I was able to dig a
> whole and remove a section to let it drain into the hole and across the
> line, but had to wait until Monday to get it properly cleared.
>
> Yesterday the washing machine was not filling. I occasionally get a
> buildup of sand in the inline mesh filtre thanks to sandy well water.
> It is a bitch of a job to get that line on and off, but I managed. The
> water seemed to be running much faster than it has for months.
> Meanwhile, my wide advised me that the sump pump line was leaking.
> Simple fix... just tighten up the connection.
>
> This morning I was out raking up branches and my wife came running out
> to tell me that washing machine had overflowed. Not only did it flood
> the laundry room, but it was dripping down into the basement and on top
> of the furnace.
>
> So off I go to the basement to clean up the mess down there. All I had
> to do was squeeggee the water over to the steps and into the lower paart
> of the cellar where the sump pump is. That was when I discovered that
> when I tightened the union connection I had rotated the pump just enough
> that the float switch jammed on the side of the sump hole, preventing it
> from rising with the water in the sump. So I had 6 inches of water down
> there. Luckily the drain line had been cleaned out and 15 minutes later
> the water was gone. Now the fan is running to help dry it up down there.
>
> So as soon as that was done I headed into town to my friend's furniture
> and appliance store to get a new washer. The old one is 15 years old and
> my wife has been complaining about it for the last year. I bought new
> energy efficient front loaded. It is supposed to use less energy, less
> water and less detergent.
>
> It's early afternoon. I wonder what else can go wrong today.

I have days like that. Not often, I'm glad to say.

Re your sump pump: I just had one put in, not ever needing it until
last summer's single 6" rain. Did you know you can get sump pump
failure insurance which also includes sewer line back up damage) for
very little money? As soon as my new carpeting goes down, that
additional insurance will kick in - I think it adds about $10/month to
my policy. The limit of coverage is $10,000, with $1000 deductible -
small price to pay for replacing the carpeting if I need to in the
future because of water damage.

N.

Any TG disasters? Goomba38 General Cooking 86 26-11-2007 08:43 PM
Any TG disasters? Julia Altshuler General Cooking 7 25-11-2007 05:27 PM
Continuing Stove Saga MoM General Cooking 10 07-01-2006 10:38 PM
Continuing Stove saga MoM Baking 4 07-01-2006 03:33 AM
Continuing Adventures in Grits Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 57 21-05-2005 04:52 PM