Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM

Default Continuing Stove Saga

I was called this am by Camco who does all service for GE.
They were supposed to do the last attempt to fix my soot
problem. I was told that he wasn't coming he had to order
parts a new regulator. They replaced the regulator on the
first visit.

I contacted the seller and they are putting a red flag on
the oven as dangerous.

I will know by Thursday how soon I'll get my new stove.

Thank goodness!

What a pain!

I'll finally get the stove I want. Gas burners and 2
electric ovens, one convection.

MoM

--
Helen in beautiful Fergus, Ontario Canada ~~ RVTOBFREE
www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

--
Helen in beautiful Fergus, Ontario Canada ~~ RVTOBFREE
www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM

"MoM" > wrote in message
. ..
>I was called this am by Camco who does all service for GE.
>They were supposed to do the last attempt to fix my soot
>problem. I was told that he wasn't coming he had to order
>parts a new regulator. They replaced the regulator on the
>first visit.
>
> I contacted the seller and they are putting a red flag on
> the oven as dangerous.
>
> I will know by Thursday how soon I'll get my new stove.
>
> Thank goodness!
>
> What a pain!
>
> I'll finally get the stove I want. Gas burners and 2
> electric ovens, one convection.
>
> MoM
>
> --
> Helen in beautiful Fergus, Ontario Canada ~~ RVTOBFREE
> www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

I'm getting the stove I wanted to begin with. No charge for
installation or conversion or deliver.

Jenn Air Black dual fuel double oven

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"MoM" > wrote

> I'm getting the stove I wanted to begin with. No charge for
> installation or conversion or deliver.
>
> Jenn Air Black dual fuel double oven

Yay!!! You've really been through it with that oven. That's
great, glad it's resolved.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "MoM" > wrote
>
>> I'm getting the stove I wanted to begin with. No charge
>> for
>> installation or conversion or deliver.
>>
>> Jenn Air Black dual fuel double oven

> Yay!!! You've really been through it with that oven.
> That's
> great, glad it's resolved.
>
> nancy

I'm so pleased. They called this morning to say they would
deliver and pickup at the same time. Which is different
from what the service agent told me. I had visions of being
without a stove for 2-3 days. But it looks like it will
work out fine.

And not only does the Jenn Air have double ovens, it also
has 5 burners.

It's a good thing I took in the price match for the Jenn Air
to my store before now because the price has jumped from
almost $1900 to $2199! We'll only have to pay the
difference from the old stove.

I can't wait!

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"MoM" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>>
>> "MoM" > wrote
>>
>>> I'm getting the stove I wanted to begin with. No charge for
>>> installation or conversion or deliver.
>>>
>>> Jenn Air Black dual fuel double oven

>> Yay!!! You've really been through it with that oven. That's
>> great, glad it's resolved.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> I'm so pleased. They called this morning to say they would deliver and
> pickup at the same time. Which is different from what the service agent
> told me. I had visions of being without a stove for 2-3 days. But it
> looks like it will work out fine.
>
> And not only does the Jenn Air have double ovens, it also has 5 burners.
>
> It's a good thing I took in the price match for the Jenn Air to my store
> before now because the price has jumped from almost $1900 to $2199! We'll
> only have to pay the difference from the old stove.
>
> I can't wait!
>
> MoM

Geez, we saw a down draft all electric Jenn-Air at Sears this week (in
Virginia). You couldn't see those round burners because it was black,
pretty stupid if you ask me. It was 30" & a simple stove -- at Sears
$1799.

The model I liked similar to Jenn-Air because of the burners - one very
large, 2 which combined for a grill, and a keep warm and 2 more (5 in all,
if I'm mis-counting) was around $1200. It was a GE. This morning our GE
water heater (propane) made a loud bang -- it was new in May. The previous
GE water heater lasted 6 months. GE is probably not an option in our
thinking at the moment. Both times it took days, if not weeks, to get it
brought into the house and hooked up. Hauling hot water is not fun! Do you
hear that, GE?
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Dee Randall wrote:

> "MoM" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>>
>>>"MoM" > wrote

>>>Yay!!! You've really been through it with that oven. That's
>>>great, glad it's resolved.
>>>
>>>nancy
>>>

>>I'm so pleased. They called this morning to say they would deliver and
>>pickup at the same time. Which is different from what the service agent
>>told me. I had visions of being without a stove for 2-3 days. But it
>>looks like it will work out fine.
>>
>>And not only does the Jenn Air have double ovens, it also has 5 burners.
>>
>>It's a good thing I took in the price match for the Jenn Air to my store
>>before now because the price has jumped from almost $1900 to $2199! We'll
>>only have to pay the difference from the old stove.
>>
>>I can't wait!
>>
>>MoM

> Geez, we saw a down draft all electric Jenn-Air at Sears this week (in
> Virginia). You couldn't see those round burners because it was black,
> pretty stupid if you ask me. It was 30" & a simple stove -- at Sears
> $1799.

We just bought an all electric Jenn Air slide-in with grill sans
burners. It is the white model JES9860ACW and can be viewed at
jennair.com. This model comes without burners so you are paying for the
stove and grill only leaving you the flexibility to buy whatever element
cartridges you want. The down side is the cartridges are expensive.
What I like about the Jenn Air is almost all the parts are easily
replaced by the homeowner. That means if you scratch up the top you can
easily buy another one and with the turning of a few screws put the new
one on. What I don't like is the makers of Jenn Air - Maytag - won't
ship parts to Canada unless to a supplier or US postal boxes. If you go
through repairclinic.com though you can get a wide range of replacement
parts and they ship worldwide. If you really wanted, you could buy
replacement parts in another colour and change out the look of your
stove for a fraction of the cost of new one!

BTW we looked at the black appliances - range and fridges. Like the
stainless steel, they don't appeal to us. I just didn't care for the
look. Years ago we bought almond/black glass models of fridge and
stove. They kept their good looks over the years but the problem comes
is when trying to replace one now they no longer make something that
matches well. The same is true of the almond colour that they have now
replaced with a lighter beige. We decided to go with all white
appliances. Our kitchen tolerates the white appliances well whereas
black would close in the kitchen and the design just doesn't say stainless.

> The model I liked similar to Jenn-Air because of the burners - one very
> large, 2 which combined for a grill, and a keep warm and 2 more (5 in all,
> if I'm mis-counting) was around $1200. It was a GE. This morning our GE
> water heater (propane) made a loud bang -- it was new in May. The previous
> GE water heater lasted 6 months. GE is probably not an option in our
> thinking at the moment. Both times it took days, if not weeks, to get it
> brought into the house and hooked up. Hauling hot water is not fun! Do you
> hear that, GE?

About a year ago we secured a 9 yr old smoothtop Fridgedaire range for
nothing intending to replace our old faithful Admiral range. Everything
worked except the burners that needed a small part. We spent quite some
time trying to find this part including ebay and just about every online
source you could think of to no avail. The Fridgedaire range is still
sitting in our shed - looking very good and not operational. The fine
folks at Fridgedaire were very snotty and unhelpful as they don't keep
parts for a 9 yr old stove and acted like we were nuts for trying to fix
it. Heck even Consumer Reports rates ranges at a longer lifespan than 9
years! I would not buy a Fridgedaire product just on the basis of their
customer service. It was horrible!

DH finally said to heck with it and decided it was time to go shopping
for a new range. We did a lot of research and decided that Jenn Air
offered what we wanted. We decided against smoothtop because of the
amount of canning I do but then we liked that we could have smoothtop
and just change out cartridges when canning. In the end, for now, we
bought the conventional coil cartridges. We've called Jenn Air's
customer service a couple of times - one to figure out how to use
certain features and the other to find out how to get parts. They were
friendly and even sent us additional literature. They are very pleasant
to deal with unlike the Fridgedaire folk.

When buying these higher end appliances, do your homework and make sure
their customer service is friendly and helpful if the need arises. Make
*sure* you can get parts down the line. A fancy high end appliance is
of little use if a minor part breaks and you can't replace it because
the company no longer supplies the part.

We are looking at replacing our fridge next and am seriously considering
Jenn Air mainly because of their wonderful customer service. However,
we are still in the research stage so won't make a decision for another
month or so.
> Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

~patches~ wrote:

> What I don't like is the makers of Jenn Air - Maytag - won't ship parts to
> Canada unless to a supplier or US postal boxes.

Maybe that'll change now that Whirlpool owns Maytag.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>

>>What I don't like is the makers of Jenn Air - Maytag - won't ship parts to
>>Canada unless to a supplier or US postal boxes.

> Maybe that'll change now that Whirlpool owns Maytag.
>
> Bob

I was under the impression that Maytag stockholders approved a merger
with Whirlpool not the other way around and the deal won't be finalized
until the end part of Feb of this year. It would be nice if you could
order parts directly from the makers. My concern after dealing with
Jenn Air and Maytag is that there may be a change in customer service
after the merger. I'm also concerned about the availability of parts.
I can recall when Admiral was bought out. I know parts are still
available for our old Admiral range but you can't be sure of parts
availablity after a merger or buy-out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bill

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 23:06:27 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>This morning our GE
>water heater (propane) made a loud bang -- it was new in May. The previous
>GE water heater lasted 6 months. GE is probably not an option in our
>thinking at the moment. Both times it took days, if not weeks, to get it
>brought into the house and hooked up. Hauling hot water is not fun! Do you
>hear that, GE?
>Dee Dee

this is interesting Dee Dee,
a couple of years ago the wife and I decided we needed a larger hot
water heater. We went shopping down to Home Depot and picked out a new
GE 80-gallon electric hot water heater. We hired a plumber to install
it. Everything was fine for about six months. Then one Saturday
morning I went downstairs and discovered a half inch of water standing
in my basement floor. Our GE water heater had ruptured and water had
been leaking out all night! We called our homeowners insurance company
and they sent a crew out to remove all the furniture from our
downstairs and put it in a climate controlled warehouse. We called
Home Depot and they gave us another GE water heater at no charge real
quick. It tooks months for us to finally get our house back in order.
I think the homeowners insurance company either sued GE or got a
settlement from them...they paid out twenty some thousand dollars for
the restoration of the damages to my house!

Bill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Bill wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 23:06:27 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> > wrote:
>

>>This morning our GE
>>water heater (propane) made a loud bang -- it was new in May. The previous
>>GE water heater lasted 6 months. GE is probably not an option in our
>>thinking at the moment. Both times it took days, if not weeks, to get it
>>brought into the house and hooked up. Hauling hot water is not fun! Do you
>>hear that, GE?
>>Dee Dee

> this is interesting Dee Dee,
> a couple of years ago the wife and I decided we needed a larger hot
> water heater. We went shopping down to Home Depot and picked out a new
> GE 80-gallon electric hot water heater. We hired a plumber to install
> it. Everything was fine for about six months. Then one Saturday
> morning I went downstairs and discovered a half inch of water standing
> in my basement floor. Our GE water heater had ruptured and water had
> been leaking out all night! We called our homeowners insurance company
> and they sent a crew out to remove all the furniture from our
> downstairs and put it in a climate controlled warehouse. We called
> Home Depot and they gave us another GE water heater at no charge real
> quick. It tooks months for us to finally get our house back in order.
> I think the homeowners insurance company either sued GE or got a
> settlement from them...they paid out twenty some thousand dollars for
> the restoration of the damages to my house!
>
> Bill

Bill we had one of these *energy efficient* blower on top of the hot
water tanks. It took our lovely plumber complete with butt crack 3 days
to finally find the leak. We replaced the tank with a Moffat and have
been quite happy. It's a heck of a lot quieter than the blower on top
model as well

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Bill" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 23:06:27 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> > wrote:
>
>>This morning our GE
>>water heater (propane) made a loud bang -- it was new in May. The
>>previous
>>GE water heater lasted 6 months. GE is probably not an option in our
>>thinking at the moment. Both times it took days, if not weeks, to get it
>>brought into the house and hooked up. Hauling hot water is not fun! Do
>>you
>>hear that, GE?
>>Dee Dee

> this is interesting Dee Dee,
> a couple of years ago the wife and I decided we needed a larger hot
> water heater. We went shopping down to Home Depot and picked out a new
> GE 80-gallon electric hot water heater. We hired a plumber to install
> it. Everything was fine for about six months. Then one Saturday
> morning I went downstairs and discovered a half inch of water standing
> in my basement floor. Our GE water heater had ruptured and water had
> been leaking out all night! We called our homeowners insurance company
> and they sent a crew out to remove all the furniture from our
> downstairs and put it in a climate controlled warehouse. We called
> Home Depot and they gave us another GE water heater at no charge real
> quick. It tooks months for us to finally get our house back in order.
> I think the homeowners insurance company either sued GE or got a
> settlement from them...they paid out twenty some thousand dollars for
> the restoration of the damages to my house!
>
> Bill

OMG Bill.
Yes, it is GE that we have and bought it (them) at Home Depot.

DH said I should've paid attention to Dee and bought an Electric. But
your story is very, very insteresting. He's still looking for a solution.

Meanwhile I'm glad that I have a dishwasher that heats my water to high
temperature. And some clothes will be washed without hot/warm water. DH
said if we can't get one installed fairly quickly, but with an ETA in the
future, we'll just have to 'go somewhere.'

I'm sorry about your story from hell.
Dee Dee

The continuing saga of my correspondence with Jarden Melba's Jammin' Preserving 8 16-10-2008 08:14 PM
Continuing disasters Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 6 03-04-2008 05:35 PM
Continuing Stove saga MoM Baking 4 07-01-2006 02:33 AM
Derek's continuing stupid and untenable lie about grass-fed beef Derek Vegan 57 12-09-2005 05:18 AM
Continuing Adventures in Grits Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 57 21-05-2005 04:52 PM