Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default The continuing saga of my correspondence with Jarden

I received a letter today that contained two $5 coupons for Kerr jars.
This is partial text of the letter: "Our quality assurance team examined
the sample products and reviewed the written information then submitted
their findings. The issues related to smooth embossing and glass
imbedded in the body of the jar are considered cosmetic flaws by the
manufacturer. Jars with cosmetic flaws are suitable to use for fresh
preserving.

An examination of the shattered jar and dented lids and bands showed
this damaged (sic) occurred during shipping or warehousing. Although we
have quality inspection on our production and packaging lines, we are
unable to control all the outside factors that come in contact with our
products. But, you helped us isolate an area of distribution that needs
our further attention. Our operations group will receive this feedback
so they can take the necessary steps to ensure our reach (sic) the store
shelf without damage.

Jar breakage that occurs during or just after processing is related to
thermal shock. It is attributed to such factors as invisible stress or
scratches on the glass or temperature differentials. Lids not sealing
may be the result of many minor concerns. Overall we have not seen an
increase in the number of non sealing lids reported this year."

In my reply I asked yet again where the jars are manufactured.

FWIW.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, Thelma and Louise
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> I received a letter today that contained two $5 coupons for Kerr jars.
> This is partial text of the letter: "Our quality assurance team examined
> the sample products and reviewed the written information then submitted
> their findings. The issues related to smooth embossing and glass
> imbedded in the body of the jar are considered cosmetic flaws by the
> manufacturer. Jars with cosmetic flaws are suitable to use for fresh
> preserving.
>
> An examination of the shattered jar and dented lids and bands showed
> this damaged (sic) occurred during shipping or warehousing. Although we
> have quality inspection on our production and packaging lines, we are
> unable to control all the outside factors that come in contact with our
> products. But, you helped us isolate an area of distribution that needs
> our further attention. Our operations group will receive this feedback
> so they can take the necessary steps to ensure our reach (sic) the store
> shelf without damage.
>
> Jar breakage that occurs during or just after processing is related to
> thermal shock. It is attributed to such factors as invisible stress or
> scratches on the glass or temperature differentials. Lids not sealing
> may be the result of many minor concerns. Overall we have not seen an
> increase in the number of non sealing lids reported this year."
>
> In my reply I asked yet again where the jars are manufactured.
>
> FWIW.

Probably in Lower Slobbovia, maybe Upper.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 22:01:59 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>I received a letter today that contained two $5 coupons for Kerr jars.
>This is partial text of the letter: "Our quality assurance team examined
>the sample products and reviewed the written information then submitted
>their findings. The issues related to smooth embossing and glass
>imbedded in the body of the jar are considered cosmetic flaws by the
>manufacturer. Jars with cosmetic flaws are suitable to use for fresh
>preserving.
>
>An examination of the shattered jar and dented lids and bands showed
>this damaged (sic) occurred during shipping or warehousing. Although we
>have quality inspection on our production and packaging lines, we are
>unable to control all the outside factors that come in contact with our
>products. But, you helped us isolate an area of distribution that needs
>our further attention. Our operations group will receive this feedback
>so they can take the necessary steps to ensure our reach (sic) the store
>shelf without damage.
>
>Jar breakage that occurs during or just after processing is related to
>thermal shock. It is attributed to such factors as invisible stress or
>scratches on the glass or temperature differentials. Lids not sealing
>may be the result of many minor concerns. Overall we have not seen an
>increase in the number of non sealing lids reported this year."
>
>In my reply I asked yet again where the jars are manufactured.
>
>FWIW.

The containers for Ball jars say "Made in the USA." On the older
boxes it is in small print. On the newer ones it is in large print
with an American flag. Now whether it means everything was made in
the USA or just the boxes is anybody's guess.

It is a shame that we can no longer take these messages at face value.
Last year I was looking at BWB canners. One of the popular ones
around here (blue speckled) had nice signs on it that said "Made in
the USA." However when you looked at the rack inside it was "Made in
China."

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 22:01:59 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >I received a letter today that contained two $5 coupons for Kerr jars.
> >This is partial text of the letter: "Our quality assurance team examined
> >the sample products and reviewed the written information then submitted
> >their findings. The issues related to smooth embossing and glass
> >imbedded in the body of the jar are considered cosmetic flaws by the
> >manufacturer. Jars with cosmetic flaws are suitable to use for fresh
> >preserving.
> >
> >An examination of the shattered jar and dented lids and bands showed
> >this damaged (sic) occurred during shipping or warehousing. Although we
> >have quality inspection on our production and packaging lines, we are
> >unable to control all the outside factors that come in contact with our
> >products. But, you helped us isolate an area of distribution that needs
> >our further attention. Our operations group will receive this feedback
> >so they can take the necessary steps to ensure our reach (sic) the store
> >shelf without damage.
> >
> >Jar breakage that occurs during or just after processing is related to
> >thermal shock. It is attributed to such factors as invisible stress or
> >scratches on the glass or temperature differentials. Lids not sealing
> >may be the result of many minor concerns. Overall we have not seen an
> >increase in the number of non sealing lids reported this year."
> >
> >In my reply I asked yet again where the jars are manufactured.
> >
> >FWIW.

> The containers for Ball jars say "Made in the USA."

Heh! I never thought to even pay any attention to the cardboard tray
thang.

> On the older boxes it is in small print. On the newer ones it is in
> large print with an American flag. Now whether it means everything
> was made in the USA or just the boxes is anybody's guess.

> It is a shame that we can no longer take these messages at face value.
> Last year I was looking at BWB canners. One of the popular ones
> around here (blue speckled) had nice signs on it that said "Made in
> the USA." However when you looked at the rack inside it was "Made in
> China."

I was given some Ball half pints jars with embossing like today's Kerr
jars - just the name 'Ball' embossed. Jars say Made in U.S.A. on the
bottoms.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, Thelma and Louise
On the Road Again - It is Finished
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> I received a letter today that contained two $5 coupons for Kerr jars.
> This is partial text of the letter: "Our quality assurance team examined
> the sample products and reviewed the written information then submitted
> their findings. The issues related to smooth embossing and glass
> imbedded in the body of the jar are considered cosmetic flaws by the
> manufacturer. Jars with cosmetic flaws are suitable to use for fresh
> preserving.
>
> An examination of the shattered jar and dented lids and bands showed
> this damaged (sic) occurred during shipping or warehousing. Although we
> have quality inspection on our production and packaging lines, we are
> unable to control all the outside factors that come in contact with our
> products. But, you helped us isolate an area of distribution that needs
> our further attention. Our operations group will receive this feedback
> so they can take the necessary steps to ensure our reach (sic) the store
> shelf without damage.
>
> Jar breakage that occurs during or just after processing is related to
> thermal shock. It is attributed to such factors as invisible stress or
> scratches on the glass or temperature differentials. Lids not sealing
> may be the result of many minor concerns. Overall we have not seen an
> increase in the number of non sealing lids reported this year."
>
> In my reply I asked yet again where the jars are manufactured.
>
> FWIW.

Well it sounds like short shrift to me. It tests the imagination to
wonder just how they can shrug off responsibility for shipping damage
when you consider the shoddy way the jars are packed. That thin plastic
covering is no protection and even the cardboard "tray" seems
unstructural w/o the plastic shrink wrap. Maybe with the increase in
home preserving, there might arise a little competition. That the rings
are going to be easily dented in such a "package" is a no-brainer. So
they obviously don't care.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Isabella Woodhouse wrote:
> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> I received a letter today that contained two $5 coupons for Kerr jars.
>> This is partial text of the letter: "Our quality assurance team examined
>> the sample products and reviewed the written information then submitted
>> their findings. The issues related to smooth embossing and glass
>> imbedded in the body of the jar are considered cosmetic flaws by the
>> manufacturer. Jars with cosmetic flaws are suitable to use for fresh
>> preserving.
>>
>> An examination of the shattered jar and dented lids and bands showed
>> this damaged (sic) occurred during shipping or warehousing. Although we
>> have quality inspection on our production and packaging lines, we are
>> unable to control all the outside factors that come in contact with our
>> products. But, you helped us isolate an area of distribution that needs
>> our further attention. Our operations group will receive this feedback
>> so they can take the necessary steps to ensure our reach (sic) the store
>> shelf without damage.
>>
>> Jar breakage that occurs during or just after processing is related to
>> thermal shock. It is attributed to such factors as invisible stress or
>> scratches on the glass or temperature differentials. Lids not sealing
>> may be the result of many minor concerns. Overall we have not seen an
>> increase in the number of non sealing lids reported this year."
>>
>> In my reply I asked yet again where the jars are manufactured.
>>
>> FWIW.

> Well it sounds like short shrift to me. It tests the imagination to
> wonder just how they can shrug off responsibility for shipping damage
> when you consider the shoddy way the jars are packed. That thin plastic
> covering is no protection and even the cardboard "tray" seems
> unstructural w/o the plastic shrink wrap. Maybe with the increase in
> home preserving, there might arise a little competition. That the rings
> are going to be easily dented in such a "package" is a no-brainer. So
> they obviously don't care.
>
> Isabella

When your consider that Jarden Corp. owns the Ball, Kerr, Bernadin lines
plus owns Sunbeam Corp., plus the Foodsaver Corp., plus Diamond Matches
and lots of other consumer products they probably figure that they can
get away with anything they want. We can always buy no name canning jars
from some of the on line vendors and then we truly don't know where they
came from or that they're even approved for pressure or BWB canning.

I visited a site the other day where some couple had bought 2000 canning
jars at an auction, some of which were antiques but most were good to
go. Maybe that's what we should all do. Yeah, that's the ticket, I think
I'll go visit all the thrift shops in the area tomorrow and see what may
be floating around. Doesn't do much good to go to garage or yard sales
unless you know someone is getting rid of mom's canning stuff.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:08:53 -0500, Isabella Woodhouse
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> I received a letter today that contained two $5 coupons for Kerr jars.
>> This is partial text of the letter: "Our quality assurance team examined
>> the sample products and reviewed the written information then submitted
>> their findings. The issues related to smooth embossing and glass
>> imbedded in the body of the jar are considered cosmetic flaws by the
>> manufacturer. Jars with cosmetic flaws are suitable to use for fresh
>> preserving.
>>
>> An examination of the shattered jar and dented lids and bands showed
>> this damaged (sic) occurred during shipping or warehousing. Although we
>> have quality inspection on our production and packaging lines, we are
>> unable to control all the outside factors that come in contact with our
>> products. But, you helped us isolate an area of distribution that needs
>> our further attention. Our operations group will receive this feedback
>> so they can take the necessary steps to ensure our reach (sic) the store
>> shelf without damage.
>>
>> Jar breakage that occurs during or just after processing is related to
>> thermal shock. It is attributed to such factors as invisible stress or
>> scratches on the glass or temperature differentials. Lids not sealing
>> may be the result of many minor concerns. Overall we have not seen an
>> increase in the number of non sealing lids reported this year."
>>
>> In my reply I asked yet again where the jars are manufactured.
>>
>> FWIW.

>Well it sounds like short shrift to me. It tests the imagination to
>wonder just how they can shrug off responsibility for shipping damage
>when you consider the shoddy way the jars are packed. That thin plastic
>covering is no protection and even the cardboard "tray" seems
>unstructural w/o the plastic shrink wrap. Maybe with the increase in
>home preserving, there might arise a little competition. That the rings
>are going to be easily dented in such a "package" is a no-brainer. So
>they obviously don't care.
>
>Isabella

I am sure that the trays are stacked and then shrink wrapped. What I
don't like is having the lids put on the jars.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" > wrote in message

> The containers for Ball jars say "Made in the USA." On the older
> boxes it is in small print. On the newer ones it is in large print
> with an American flag. Now whether it means everything was made in
> the USA or just the boxes is anybody's guess.

The paper labels are Made in America but the pots, lids and racks are made
in China. ;-)

> It is a shame that we can no longer take these messages at face value.
> Last year I was looking at BWB canners. One of the popular ones
> around here (blue speckled) had nice signs on it that said "Made in
> the USA." However when you looked at the rack inside it was "Made in
> China."

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Isabella Woodhouse" > wrote in message

> Well it sounds like short shrift to me. It tests the imagination to
> wonder just how they can shrug off responsibility for shipping damage
> when you consider the shoddy way the jars are packed. That thin plastic
> covering is no protection and even the cardboard "tray" seems
> unstructural w/o the plastic shrink wrap. Maybe with the increase in
> home preserving, there might arise a little competition. That the rings
> are going to be easily dented in such a "package" is a no-brainer. So
> they obviously don't care.

I'll bet it comes down to $$$. Their accounting and legal people concluded
that it's cheaper for them to deal with the occasional complaint than it is
to improve their packaging, especially nowadays when the extra weight
involved with better packaging also means measurably higher transportation
costs.

It would be nice if some competition arose. Right now they don't have to
factor loss in market share into their calculations.

Anny