Old 26-02-2004, 11:26 PM
Nancree

Default Good Peanut Butter vs. Bad Peanut Butter

Most peanut butters that are in supermarkets don't have oil rising to the
top--they are of one consistency. This means that they have "Hydrogenated
fat", which is very bad for your health--like butter, or beef fat.

You can usually find at least one brand that has the oil floating on the top.
(On the West Coast that brand is "Laura Scudder". ) This is the healthy,
good kind. No "Hydrogenated fats or oils". You can stir it up and store it in
the fridge, where it will stay mixed. Or you can leave it on the shelf, and
give it a stir each time you use it.

Do your children, and yourself, and buy a peanut butter that has the oil
"separated", or floating on top. A nuisance, but so much healthier.

Old 26-02-2004, 11:36 PM
Peter Aitken

"Nancree" wrote in message
Most peanut butters that are in supermarkets don't have oil rising to the
top--they are of one consistency. This means that they have "Hydrogenated
fat", which is very bad for your health--like butter, or beef fat.

You can usually find at least one brand that has the oil floating on the

top.
(On the West Coast that brand is "Laura Scudder". ) This is the

healthy,
good kind. No "Hydrogenated fats or oils". You can stir it up and store

it in
the fridge, where it will stay mixed. Or you can leave it on the shelf,

and
give it a stir each time you use it.

Do your children, and yourself, and buy a peanut butter that has the oil
"separated", or floating on top. A nuisance, but so much healthier.

I think you are wrong. The oil rising to the top is the result of no added
sugar. Still, you are right in that the natural peanut butter with the oil
on top is healthier.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 27-02-2004, 12:37 AM
Default User

Peter Aitken wrote:

I think you are wrong. The oil rising to the top is the result of no added
sugar. Still, you are right in that the natural peanut butter with the oil
on top is healthier.

No, she's right. The partially hydrogenated fats keep the oil from
separating out. From the Jif website FAQs:

Is there a huge difference between regular peanut butter and natural
peanut butter?
Peanut butter today is remarkably like that made 100 years ago. All
peanut butter must, by law, contain a minimum of 90% peanuts. Both
natural and regular peanut butters may contain some sugar and salt for
flavoring. Some brands also contain a small amount of stabilizer
(partially hydrogenated vegetable oil) to keep the oil from separating,
which most consumers prefer. This also helps maintain peanut butter
freshness.

Another common brand is Smucker's, it's what I buy when I buy peanut
butter. Alton Brown on his show about nuts made some cashew butter that
was probably delicious.

Brian Rodenborn
Old 27-02-2004, 05:04 AM
Saerah

Nancree wrote in message ...
Most peanut butters that are in supermarkets don't have oil rising to the
top--they are of one consistency. This means that they have "Hydrogenated
fat", which is very bad for your health--like butter, or beef fat.

I have peanut butter in my refrigerator right now that does not have oil
floating on the top. It contains no hydrogenated oils.
I do prefer the kind that separates ( i think it tastes better, and it works
better in recipes), but I'm just saying...

Old 27-02-2004, 05:05 AM
Saerah

Peter Aitken wrote in message ...
"Nancree" wrote in message
[...]

the peanut butter i bought last week contains only peanuts and salt, and the
oil doesnt rise to the top.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 27-02-2004, 05:24 AM
Wayne Boatwright

"Saerah" wrote in
:

"Nancree" wrote in message
[...]

Both Smucker's and Laura Scudder's recommend stirring the contents of the
jar after opening and then storing in the refrigerator. I haven't
noticed a lot of separation with either brand, but there is some. When
kept in the refrigerator, separation is prevented.

Wayne
Old 27-02-2004, 05:26 AM
zxcvbob

Saerah wrote:

the peanut butter i bought last week contains only peanuts and salt, and the
oil doesnt rise to the top.

It will eventually, even if refrigerated.

Bob
Old 27-02-2004, 05:37 AM
Saerah

Wayne Boatwright wrote in message ...
"Saerah" wrote in
:

"Nancree" wrote in message
[...]

it wasn't separated when i bought it. since it has no preservatives, i worry
about it going rancid. which is why , now that it is opened, i keep it in
the fridge

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing
swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive
power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some
farcical aquatic ceremony."

Old 27-02-2004, 05:38 AM
Saerah

zxcvbob wrote in message ...
Saerah wrote:

the peanut butter i bought last week contains only peanuts and salt, and

the
oil doesnt rise to the top.

It will eventually, even if refrigerated.

well, ok . ive never bought this brand before, but i thought id give it a
try. i definitely prefer the "oil on top" variety.

Old 27-02-2004, 11:30 AM
sd

In article t,
Donna Rose wrote:

several earlier posters have indicated that if you keep your peanut
butter in the refrigerator it will not separate as readily.

It helps if you store the jar upside down in the refrigerator, too.
Some of the peanut butter mixes with the separated oil. I find it's
easier to stir.

sd
Old 27-02-2004, 11:45 AM
Shirley Thebaglady

Teddie's peanut butter is made from peanuts only. It has the oil on top.
A nutritionist told my hubby about this brand. It comes in no-salt added
to it and, regular creamy too. I buy it at a food chain store- Stop and
Shop and Shaw's sells it too.

Old 27-02-2004, 11:56 AM
Melba's Jammin'

In article , zxcvbob
wrote:

Saerah wrote:

the peanut butter i bought last week contains only peanuts and
salt, and the oil doesnt rise to the top.

It will eventually, even if refrigerated.

Bob

Not if he eats it fast enough. :-P
--
-Barb, www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!
Old 27-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Stark Raven

In article , Curly Sue
wrote:

I never cared for the natural peanut butters. Maybe they've changed
in the many years since I last tried them and I'll give them a try
again. However, I don't think my usual supermarket carries any; my
alternate might.

Sue(tm)

Kroger's natural peanut butter has a rich, peanut taste, separates with
non-use, and does not go rancid in cabinet storage. Since it does
separate it may not be a good "kiddy" peanut butter, but with moderate
conditioning of the wrist and forearm I don't find re-stirring peanut
butter to be much of a problem.