Old 27-02-2004, 02:32 PM
RMiller

Default Good Peanut Butter vs. Bad Peanut Butter

You can usually find at least one brand that has the oil floating on the top.
(On the West Coast that brand is "Laura Scudder". ) This is the healthy,
good kind. No "Hydrogenated fats or oils". You can stir it up and store it
in
the fridge, where it will stay mixed. Or you can leave it on the shelf, and
give it a stir each time you use it.

Do your children, and yourself, and buy a peanut butter that has the oil
"separated", or floating on top. A nuisance, but so much healthier.

I buy the Laura Scudder , crunchy, and the main reason I get it , is because
it tastes much better than that other kind with all the sugar added. I buy a
couple of jars at a time, put in my Kitchen Aid mixer and get them well mixed,
then back into the jars, it doesn't' seperate any more and stays nice and
spreadable.
Rosie

Old 27-02-2004, 03:31 PM
zxcvbob

Stark Raven wrote:

In article , Curly Sue
wrote:

I never cared for the natural peanut butters. Maybe they've changed
in the many years since I last tried them and I'll give them a try
again. However, I don't think my usual supermarket carries any; my
alternate might.

Sue(tm)

Kroger's natural peanut butter has a rich, peanut taste, separates with
non-use, and does not go rancid in cabinet storage. Since it does
separate it may not be a good "kiddy" peanut butter, but with moderate
conditioning of the wrist and forearm I don't find re-stirring peanut
butter to be much of a problem.

When I was a kid, we discovered a Krogers that had a peanut grinder and
they made their own fresh peanut butter from roasted red-skin peanuts. It
was wonderful stuff, with a slightly gritty texture from the peanut skins.
We did not refrigerate it, we just bought it in small batches and stirred
it before we used it.

Bob
Old 27-02-2004, 04:34 PM
Nexis

"Nancree" wrote in message
Most peanut butters that are in supermarkets don't have oil rising to the
top--they are of one consistency. This means that they have "Hydrogenated
fat", which is very bad for your health--like butter, or beef fat.

You can usually find at least one brand that has the oil floating on the

top.
(On the West Coast that brand is "Laura Scudder". ) This is the

healthy,
good kind. No "Hydrogenated fats or oils". You can stir it up and store

it in
the fridge, where it will stay mixed. Or you can leave it on the shelf,

and
give it a stir each time you use it.

Do your children, and yourself, and buy a peanut butter that has the oil
"separated", or floating on top. A nuisance, but so much healthier.

There's a place here in San Diego called Nutters, that not only makes the
peanut butter fresh but also makes many flavors. My favorite so far has
peanut butter, with crushed pretzels. Yummy. There's even one with crushed
espresso beans, which was tastier than I had imagined it would be! He has
ones with fruits in them too...it's like a PB&J all in one. Blueberry seems
really popular, but I much prefer the strawberry myself.

kimberly

Old 27-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Default User

Curly Sue wrote:

I never cared for the natural peanut butters. Maybe they've changed
in the many years since I last tried them and I'll give them a try
again. However, I don't think my usual supermarket carries any; my
alternate might.

Well, natural peanut butters are merely ground-up peanuts and usually
salt. Not much room for change.

Brian Rodenborn
Old 27-02-2004, 06:46 PM
Jarkat2002

Most peanut butters that are in supermarkets don't have oil rising to the
top--they are of one consistency. This means that they have "Hydrogenated
fat", which is very bad for your health--like butter, or beef fat.

You can usually find at least one brand that has the oil floating on the top.
(On the West Coast that brand is "Laura Scudder". ) This is the healthy,
good kind. No "Hydrogenated fats or oils". You can stir it up and store it
in
the fridge, where it will stay mixed. Or you can leave it on the shelf, and
give it a stir each time you use it.

Do your children, and yourself, and buy a peanut butter that has the oil
"separated", or floating on top. A nuisance, but so much healthier.

It's not hard to make your own ... just need a food processor and roasted
peanuts. (many other nuts can be used for that matter) or you can roast your
own peanuts.
Turn your FP on high and drop in about 1/4 cup of nuts at a time ... waiting
until completely blended before each addition.
Walnuts work very well, as do almonds and filberts.
You can add what you want .. some add salt and/or sugar ... I don't add
anything.

~Kat

What did my hands do before they held you?
Sylvia Plath (1932 - 1963)

Old 27-02-2004, 07:48 PM
Kate Connally

Nancree wrote:

Most peanut butters that are in supermarkets don't have oil rising to the
top--they are of one consistency. This means that they have "Hydrogenated
fat", which is very bad for your health--like butter, or beef fat.

You can usually find at least one brand that has the oil floating on the top.
(On the West Coast that brand is "Laura Scudder". ) This is the healthy,
good kind. No "Hydrogenated fats or oils". You can stir it up and store it in
the fridge, where it will stay mixed. Or you can leave it on the shelf, and
give it a stir each time you use it.

Do your children, and yourself, and buy a peanut butter that has the oil
"separated", or floating on top. A nuisance, but so much healthier.

The oil floating on top just means it's natural
peanut butter - no preservatives and other additives.
I discovered Laura Scudders when I lived in So. Cal.
It's sooooo much better than Jif, et al. When I came
back to Pittsburgh I found Smuckers natural. I can't
even bring myself to eat the other stuff these days,
and it's not even about unhealthy fats in them, it's
just about all the additives making them disgusting to
eat.
Kate

--
Kate Connally
If I were as old as I feel, Id be dead already.

Old 27-02-2004, 07:50 PM
Kate Connally

zxcvbob wrote:

Saerah wrote:

the peanut butter i bought last week contains only peanuts and salt, and the
oil doesnt rise to the top.

It will eventually, even if refrigerated.

Yeah, but how many people keep it for 100 years?
Kate

Old 27-02-2004, 09:26 PM
Doug Freyburger

Nancree wrote:

Do your children, and yourself, and buy a peanut butter that has the oil
"separated", or floating on top. A nuisance, but so much healthier.

I sometimes buy the good stuff with the oil floating to the top and I
sometimes buy the easy stuff with the oil that stays mixed.

But when I want the *ultra*good stuff, I get nut butter made from tree
nuts: almond, cashew, etc.

And when I want the *super*hyper*ultra*good stuff, I buy some of my
favorite nuts like brazil, walnut, pecan or macademia nuts and I use
a food processor to reduce them to butter. When I can find brazil
nuts in quantity, their butter is astonishingly good. Of course
everyone has their own favorite nuts, so put your favorites in the
list instead of mine.

The really bad stuff - I once tried soynut butter. Nasty. But tastes
vary. I've talked to people who love the stuff. It takes all kinds.
More soynut butter for them.

There is a step beyond *super*hyper*ultra*good. It involves hazel
nuts, cocoa powder, and some other stuff. Nutella. The evil spirit
in the dreams of low carbers ;^) haunting us from our childhood.
Old 27-02-2004, 09:47 PM
Curly Sue

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:25:36 GMT, Default User
wrote:

Curly Sue wrote:

I never cared for the natural peanut butters. Maybe they've changed
in the many years since I last tried them and I'll give them a try
again. However, I don't think my usual supermarket carries any; my
alternate might.

Well, natural peanut butters are merely ground-up peanuts and usually
salt. Not much room for change.

Better peanuts?

I suspect you're right though. I'm used to commercial, sweetened
peanut butters and I didn't care for the taste of the natural ones.
My bad. :

Fortunately I don't eat so much that it makes a difference.

Sue(tm)

Old 27-02-2004, 10:01 PM
Deepak Saxena

In article ,
Nancree wrote:

Do your children, and yourself, and buy a peanut butter that has the oil
"separated", or floating on top. A nuisance, but so much healthier.

I go to the local natural food co-op or to whole foods and get freshly
ground peanut butter. No subsitute for it and none of the added sugar.
I like the taste of peanuts in my peanut butter, not over-sugared
peanut food product substitite.

--
Deepak Saxena - dsaxena at plexity dot net - http://www.plexity.net/
Old 28-02-2004, 12:57 AM
jmcquown

Nancree wrote:
Most peanut butters that are in supermarkets don't have oil rising to
the top--they are of one consistency. This means that they have
"Hydrogenated fat", which is very bad for your health--like butter,
or beef fat.

Sorry, Nancree, I don't buy enough peanut butter to care one way or the
other. I do recall hearing complaints from friends, probably 25 years ago,
about "all natural" peanut butter being very oily. Even though the trend
towards sprouts and tofu had begun, no one liked the looks of that stuff nor
wanted to have to stir it up. The impression they got was "this can't be
good!" ;-)

Jill

Old 28-02-2004, 01:13 AM
Jarkat2002

Sorry, Nancree, I don't buy enough peanut butter to care one way or the
other. I do recall hearing complaints from friends, probably 25 years ago,
about "all natural" peanut butter being very oily. Even though the trend
towards sprouts and tofu had begun, no one liked the looks of that stuff nor
wanted to have to stir it up. The impression they got was "this can't be
good!" ;-)

Jill

If you don't want to stir it up and don't mind a dry peanut butter ... the oil
is amazing to cook with!

Old 28-02-2004, 01:36 AM
Alex Rast

at Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:26:20 GMT in
, (Nancree)
wrote :

Most peanut butters that are in supermarkets don't have oil rising to
the top--they are of one consistency. This means that they have
"Hydrogenated fat", which is very bad for your health--like butter, or
beef fat.

Some research suggests that it's in fact *worse* than either butter or beef
fat. However, I believe that whatever the merits of the fat involved, the
bigger factor is proportion and moderation. No doubt if you lived in
reasonably temperate latitudes and ate virtually nothing but hard,
saturated fat (of any kind), you'd be setting yourself up for heart
disease. But if your fat intake were in moderation (say, 20-30% of
calories) and you distributed the types of fats you ate relatively evenly
between polyunsaturated (e.g. sunflower oil), monounsaturated (e.g. olive
oil) and saturated (e.g. lard) fats, I don't think there's any real harm in
the saturated fat intake.

Do your children, and yourself, and buy a peanut butter that has the oil
"separated", or floating on top. A nuisance, but so much healthier.

Oil separation in additive-free peanut butter means it's spent a long time
at room temperature. In other words, it's not especially fresh. Ideally,
what you want is freshly ground peanut butter - usually easy enough to find
at health food stores where they have grinders. If you grind it then, and
bring it home to your refrigerator, it'll stay unseparated for many weeks.
(which goes to show you how long the separated peanut butters have sat
around). Really, the additive-free peanut butter manufacturers should ship
their peanut butter refrigerated, and it should be stored in a refrigerator
case.

However, the only company I'm aware of that actually does this is
Rejuvenative Foods. They don't make peanut butter AFAIK, although with the
prevalence of peanut grinders in the stores that tend to carry
Rejuvenative, it's rather immaterial. The difference in flavour between
Rejuvenative nut butters and similar products from other manufacturers
(e.g. Maranatha, Kettle Foods) was, to me, amazing. Rejuvenative are much
stronger, without even a trace of the rancid taste you can catch hints of
in other nut butters. They literally taste like fresh nuts. Now, if only
they'd make a hazelnut butter, I'd be in heaven.

--
Alex Rast

Old 28-02-2004, 01:57 AM
SportKite1

I go to the local natural food co-op or to whole foods and get freshly
ground peanut butter. No subsitute for it and none of the added sugar.
I like the taste of peanuts in my peanut butter, not over-sugared
peanut food product substitite.

Exactly. We have WONDERFUL nut butters at our store that have no oil on top,
are creamy and spreadable. The best part of buying freshly ground nut butters
at a natural foods store is that you can buy them in the amount you like. Our
peanut butter (just roasted peanuts, no salt) only costs 3.25 a lb and our pure
almond butter is only 4.30 a lb, but we sell it in containers that range from
1.25 and up.

Ellen