Old 01-02-2005, 03:51 AM
Wayne Boatwright

Default Peanut Butter

If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or crunchy?

I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy Albertson's
store brand crunchy.

Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?

Wayne

Old 01-02-2005, 04:24 AM
Hahabogus

Wayne Boatwright wrote in
:

If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or
crunchy?

I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy
Albertson's store brand crunchy.

Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?

Wayne

I liked Kraft's crunchy for rye toast -breakfast (pre low carb days)
And I'd use their creamy in soup, sauce, bar recipes etc.

Curried Peanut Soup is very good.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
Old 01-02-2005, 04:36 AM
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 31 Jan 2005 09:24:08p, Hahabogus wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Wayne Boatwright wrote in
:

If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or
crunchy?

I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy
Albertson's store brand crunchy.

Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?

Wayne

I liked Kraft's crunchy for rye toast -breakfast (pre low carb days)
And I'd use their creamy in soup, sauce, bar recipes etc.

I don't think I've ever seen Kraft branded peanut butter. I do love PB on
rye toast!

Curried Peanut Soup is very good.

That sounds good. The only peanut soup I've ever had was made from a
supposed Williamsburg recipe. Liked it, but no curry.

Wayne

Old 01-02-2005, 05:04 AM
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 31 Jan 2005 10:02:56p, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Wayne Boatwright wrote in
:

If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or
crunchy?

I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy
Albertson's store brand crunchy.

Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?

Wayne

I usually buy Straubs store made crunchy. If I can't get over there,
I'll buy plain old Jiffy from the regular stoopidmarket. I cook with the
same I eat out of the jar but it all depends on the sugar and salt
content of the jarred peanut butter.

Michael

The salt content doesn't bother me most of the time, but I've always
thought Jif was too sweet. If I bought a national brand, I'd probably buy
Skippy.

Wayne
Old 01-02-2005, 05:07 AM
Hahabogus

Wayne Boatwright wrote in
:

That sounds good. The only peanut soup I've ever had was made from a
supposed Williamsburg recipe. Liked it, but no curry.

Wayne

A couple or 3 peanut soups
curried soup is at the bottom.

African Peanut Soup

2 teaspoons peanut oil
1 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ginger (or 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger)
2 cups broth, chicken or vegetable
1 can crushed tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
1/2 cup sweet potato, cooked and mashed
1/4 cup peanut butter
sliced scallions for garnish

In a medium sauce pan, heat peanut oil over medium-low heat. Add onion,
garlic and mushrooms and saute slowly until vegetables are soft and
golden
colored. Add red pepper flakes, paprika and ginger and saute for another
minute. Add broth and tomatoes. Simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat
and
allow to cool. Puree vegetables and broth in a blender. Add sweet
potatoes
and peanut butter. Blend until smooth. Reheat carefully over low heat,
adding more broth or water as needed. Garnish each serving with sliced
scallions (green onions). Serves 4.

(Notes: A good use for leftover sweet potatoes. Canned puree of pumpkin
or
yams can be substituted. Increase the heat by adding more red pepper or
red
pepper sauce.)

154 Calories; 11g Fat (58% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 12g
Carbohydrate;
0mg Cholesterol; 82mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Starch/Bread; 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 2 Fat

Niki

Jalapeno Peanut Soup

3 cups vegetable, chicken or beef stock
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 large leek including 2 inches of the green top, coarsely chopped
2 medium carrots, sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds
1/4 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
6 large. Jalapeno chili peppers, stems removed and finely chopped
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter

Combine the stock, onion, leek and carrots in a heavy saucepan and bring
to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially
covered, for 30 minutes. Puree the soup in a food processor. Blend at
high speed until the soup is smooth. Return the soup to the saucepan and
bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the rice and 6 Jalapeno chili
peppers, reduce the heat to low, and cover tightly. Simmer for about 20
minutes, or until the rice is tender but grains still intact. In a small
bowl, mix 1/2 cups of the soup with the peanut butter and stir until they
are well combined. Stir the peanut butter mixture into the soup, cover
again, and simmer for 5 minutes longer. Taste for seasoning and serve at
once.

--
A1 Hot Food Group
William Barfieldsr

Curried Peanut Soup

1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 medium onion, halved, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons curry powder
4 cups (or more) chicken broth
1/3 cup rice
3 medium carrots, peeled, sliced
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (not old-fashioned style or freshly
ground)
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Finely chopped green onions for accompaniment
Chopped fresh cilantro for accompaniment

1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion,
garlic and curry powder; saut until onion has softened, about 6 minutes.
Add broth and bring to boil. Stir in rice and carrots. Reduce heat and
simmer until rice is very tender, stirring occasionally, about 20
minutes.
2. Puree half of soup in blender or processor with peanut butter.
(Caution! Hot liquids create steam which will blow the top off the
blender! Be sure to securely hold blender lid down!) Return puree to
saucepan. Stir soup until heated through, thinning with more broth if
desired; do not boil. Stir in sugar, salt and pepper.
3. Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with green onions and cilantro.

Serves 4.

Old 01-02-2005, 05:07 AM
kalanamak

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?

Adam's smooth "stir", as opposed to "no stir". I mostly make sauces.
Last night I stirred some into a carrot, onion and green bean soup with
some curry. Very good soup. If I put this (unsweetened) stuff on toast,
I put some apricot preserves in with it, or cinnamon sugar.
blacksalt
Old 01-02-2005, 05:16 AM
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 31 Jan 2005 10:07:33p, Hahabogus wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Wayne Boatwright wrote in
:

[...]

Ummm... These all sound good! Into the file they go, and onto the table
soon. Thank you!

Wayne
Old 01-02-2005, 05:16 AM
MareCat

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or crunchy?

I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy.

Ditto (except I get the creamy version). Or Smuckers all-natural.

Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?

Yep.

Mary

Wayne

Old 01-02-2005, 05:20 AM
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 31 Jan 2005 10:16:56p, MareCat wrote in rec.food.cooking:

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or crunchy?

I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy.

Ditto (except I get the creamy version). Or Smuckers all-natural.

Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?

Yep.

Mary

Actually, IIRC, Laura Scudder is produced by Smuckers. Regardless, they're
both good, and I can't tell them apart.

Wayne
Old 01-02-2005, 07:17 AM
Damsel in dis Dress

On 1 Feb 2005 03:51:15 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or crunchy?

Skippy Super Crunch. 'Cause that's just the way it is.

Carol

Old 01-02-2005, 07:19 AM
Damsel in dis Dress

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 04:24:08 GMT, Hahabogus wrote:

Curried Peanut Soup is very good.

So, you gonna post the recipe, or what? Maybe you already did, farther
down in the thread. I'm just scanning quickly before going to bed. That
sounds like wonderful soup, though, and I'd love to try it!

Carol

Old 01-02-2005, 07:44 AM
Hahabogus

Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
:

wrote:

Curried Peanut Soup is very good.

So, you gonna post the recipe, or what? Maybe you already did,
farther down in the thread. I'm just scanning quickly before going
to bed. That sounds like wonderful soup, though, and I'd love to
try it!

Carol

It gave me the runs...Because it was so good, I ate 5 bowls of it,
probably 3 bowls too many.

Old 01-02-2005, 08:12 AM
notbob

On 2005-02-01, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

Skippy Super Crunch. 'Cause that's just the way it is.

Yep! ....scrapped right out of the jar with a big ol' celery stick.

nb
Old 01-02-2005, 09:42 AM
Rhonda Anderson

Wayne Boatwright wrote in
:

If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or
crunchy?

Don't know how much the brand would mean to you as I'm in Australia, but
I buy Sanitarium Natural. It contains only roasted peanuts - no added
sugar, salt or oil. Crunchy!!! No matter what brand peanut butter I've
purchased (used to buy Kraft, and then Dick Smith - an Aussie company -
until I decided to go down the no added sugar/salt route) it's always
been crunchy.

I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy
Albertson's store brand crunchy.

Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?

Yep. Don't use peanut butter a lot in cooking - mainly for some peanut
butter cookies that I love and have been making for years. I try not to
make them too often, and take them into work if I do, because otherwise I
would sit down and eat the whole batch. The recipe is from a book called
Kitchen Wizard It's aimed at kids, and I think I ordered this book
through the book club at school. The recipes are all related to well
known stories. These biscuits are in the Huckleberry Fin Raft Picnic
section and are called Playin' Hookey Cookies. They're realllllly good.

Playin' Hookey Cookies - Deborah Jarvis

125g soft butter
125g crunchy peanut butter
125g granulated sugar
125g brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
150g self raising flour
50g crushed or chopped peanuts (optional - but I always add)

Cream butter and peanut butter till light and fluffy
Add sugars gradually.
Beat in egg and vanilla
Mix in sifted flour and crushed nuts if using.

roll dough into small balls about the size of walnuts. Place on baking
tray about 5cm apart. Flatten with floured fork. Bake just above the
centre of 180C (350F) oven for 10 - 12 minutes. Let cookies sit on tray
for a couple of minutes (they're very soft when straight out of oven)
then remove with palette knife and cool on rack.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:57 PM
Stark

In article , Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or crunchy?

I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy Albertson's
store brand crunchy.

Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?

Wayne

I've probably eaten my weight, maybe a couple of times, in peanut
butter, mostly as snacks on Ritz crackers, wid or widout a dollop of
jelly, grape being the classic. Like Smuckers, but prefer Kroger store
brand, both in Natural Crunchy. Many years ago I replaced all my
hallucinogens with peanut butter, banana and jelly sandwiches on light
toast. Don't get quite the same colors but the crash is much more
comfortable.