Wayne Boatwright

Default Peanut Butter

If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or crunchy?

I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy Albertson's
store brand crunchy.

Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?

Wayne
Hahabogus

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
:

> If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or
> crunchy?
>
> I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy
> Albertson's store brand crunchy.
>
> Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?
>
> Wayne

I liked Kraft's crunchy for rye toast -breakfast (pre low carb days)
And I'd use their creamy in soup, sauce, bar recipes etc.

Curried Peanut Soup is very good.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 31 Jan 2005 09:24:08p, Hahabogus wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>
>> If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or
>> crunchy?
>>
>> I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy
>> Albertson's store brand crunchy.
>>
>> Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> I liked Kraft's crunchy for rye toast -breakfast (pre low carb days)
> And I'd use their creamy in soup, sauce, bar recipes etc.

I don't think I've ever seen Kraft branded peanut butter. I do love PB on
rye toast!

> Curried Peanut Soup is very good.

That sounds good. The only peanut soup I've ever had was made from a
supposed Williamsburg recipe. Liked it, but no curry.

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 31 Jan 2005 10:02:56p, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>
>> If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or
>> crunchy?
>>
>> I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy
>> Albertson's store brand crunchy.
>>
>> Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> I usually buy Straubs store made crunchy. If I can't get over there,
> I'll buy plain old Jiffy from the regular stoopidmarket. I cook with the
> same I eat out of the jar but it all depends on the sugar and salt
> content of the jarred peanut butter.
>
> Michael

The salt content doesn't bother me most of the time, but I've always
thought Jif was too sweet. If I bought a national brand, I'd probably buy
Skippy.

Wayne
Hahabogus

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
:

> That sounds good. The only peanut soup I've ever had was made from a
> supposed Williamsburg recipe. Liked it, but no curry.
>
> Wayne

A couple or 3 peanut soups
curried soup is at the bottom.

African Peanut Soup

2 teaspoons peanut oil
1 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ginger (or 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger)
2 cups broth, chicken or vegetable
1 can crushed tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
1/2 cup sweet potato, cooked and mashed
1/4 cup peanut butter
sliced scallions for garnish

In a medium sauce pan, heat peanut oil over medium-low heat. Add onion,
garlic and mushrooms and saute slowly until vegetables are soft and
golden
colored. Add red pepper flakes, paprika and ginger and saute for another
minute. Add broth and tomatoes. Simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat
and
allow to cool. Puree vegetables and broth in a blender. Add sweet
potatoes
and peanut butter. Blend until smooth. Reheat carefully over low heat,
adding more broth or water as needed. Garnish each serving with sliced
scallions (green onions). Serves 4.

(Notes: A good use for leftover sweet potatoes. Canned puree of pumpkin
or
yams can be substituted. Increase the heat by adding more red pepper or
red
pepper sauce.)

154 Calories; 11g Fat (58% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 12g
Carbohydrate;
0mg Cholesterol; 82mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Starch/Bread; 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 2 Fat

Niki

Jalapeno Peanut Soup

3 cups vegetable, chicken or beef stock
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 large leek including 2 inches of the green top, coarsely chopped
2 medium carrots, sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds
1/4 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
6 large. Jalapeno chili peppers, stems removed and finely chopped
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter

Combine the stock, onion, leek and carrots in a heavy saucepan and bring
to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially
covered, for 30 minutes. Puree the soup in a food processor. Blend at
high speed until the soup is smooth. Return the soup to the saucepan and
bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the rice and 6 Jalapeno chili
peppers, reduce the heat to low, and cover tightly. Simmer for about 20
minutes, or until the rice is tender but grains still intact. In a small
bowl, mix 1/2 cups of the soup with the peanut butter and stir until they
are well combined. Stir the peanut butter mixture into the soup, cover
again, and simmer for 5 minutes longer. Taste for seasoning and serve at
once.

--
A1 Hot Food Group
William Barfieldsr

Curried Peanut Soup

1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 medium onion, halved, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons curry powder
4 cups (or more) chicken broth
1/3 cup rice
3 medium carrots, peeled, sliced
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (not old-fashioned style or freshly
ground)
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Finely chopped green onions for accompaniment
Chopped fresh cilantro for accompaniment

1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion,
garlic and curry powder; sauté until onion has softened, about 6 minutes.
Add broth and bring to boil. Stir in rice and carrots. Reduce heat and
simmer until rice is very tender, stirring occasionally, about 20
minutes.
2. Puree half of soup in blender or processor with peanut butter.
(Caution! Hot liquids create steam which will blow the top off the
blender! Be sure to securely hold blender lid down!) Return puree to
saucepan. Stir soup until heated through, thinning with more broth if
desired; do not boil. Stir in sugar, salt and pepper.
3. Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with green onions and cilantro.

Serves 4.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban

kalanamak

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?

Adam's smooth "stir", as opposed to "no stir". I mostly make sauces.
Last night I stirred some into a carrot, onion and green bean soup with
some curry. Very good soup. If I put this (unsweetened) stuff on toast,
I put some apricot preserves in with it, or cinnamon sugar.
blacksalt
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 31 Jan 2005 10:07:33p, Hahabogus wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> [...]

> 1/4 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
> 6 large. Jalapeno chili peppers, stems removed and finely chopped
> 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
>
> Combine the stock, onion, leek and carrots in a heavy saucepan and bring
> to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially
> covered, for 30 minutes. Puree the soup in a food processor. Blend at
> high speed until the soup is smooth. Return the soup to the saucepan and
> bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the rice and 6 Jalapeno chili
> peppers, reduce the heat to low, and cover tightly. Simmer for about 20
> minutes, or until the rice is tender but grains still intact. In a small
> bowl, mix 1/2 cups of the soup with the peanut butter and stir until they
> are well combined. Stir the peanut butter mixture into the soup, cover
> again, and simmer for 5 minutes longer. Taste for seasoning and serve at

Ummm... These all sound good! Into the file they go, and onto the table
soon. Thank you!

Wayne
MareCat

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or crunchy?
>
> I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy.

Ditto (except I get the creamy version). Or Smuckers all-natural.

> Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?

Yep.

Mary

> Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 31 Jan 2005 10:16:56p, MareCat wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or crunchy?
>>
>> I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy.

> Ditto (except I get the creamy version). Or Smuckers all-natural.
>

>> Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?

> Yep.
>
> Mary

Actually, IIRC, Laura Scudder is produced by Smuckers. Regardless, they're
both good, and I can't tell them apart.

Wayne
Damsel in dis Dress

On 1 Feb 2005 03:51:15 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or crunchy?

Skippy Super Crunch. 'Cause that's just the way it is.

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 04:24:08 GMT, Hahabogus > wrote:

>Curried Peanut Soup is very good.

So, you gonna post the recipe, or what? Maybe you already did, farther
down in the thread. I'm just scanning quickly before going to bed. That
sounds like wonderful soup, though, and I'd love to try it!

Carol

Hahabogus

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 04:24:08 GMT, Hahabogus >
> wrote:
>
> >Curried Peanut Soup is very good.

> So, you gonna post the recipe, or what? Maybe you already did,
> farther down in the thread. I'm just scanning quickly before going
> to bed. That sounds like wonderful soup, though, and I'd love to
> try it!
>
> Carol

It gave me the runs...Because it was so good, I ate 5 bowls of it,
probably 3 bowls too many.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
notbob

On 2005-02-01, Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> Skippy Super Crunch. 'Cause that's just the way it is.

Yep! ....scrapped right out of the jar with a big ol' celery stick.

nb
Rhonda Anderson

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
:

> If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or
> crunchy?

Don't know how much the brand would mean to you as I'm in Australia, but
I buy Sanitarium Natural. It contains only roasted peanuts - no added
sugar, salt or oil. Crunchy!!! No matter what brand peanut butter I've
purchased (used to buy Kraft, and then Dick Smith - an Aussie company -
until I decided to go down the no added sugar/salt route) it's always
been crunchy.

> I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy
> Albertson's store brand crunchy.
>
> Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?

Yep. Don't use peanut butter a lot in cooking - mainly for some peanut
butter cookies that I love and have been making for years. I try not to
make them too often, and take them into work if I do, because otherwise I
would sit down and eat the whole batch. The recipe is from a book called
Kitchen Wizard It's aimed at kids, and I think I ordered this book
through the book club at school. The recipes are all related to well
known stories. These biscuits are in the Huckleberry Fin Raft Picnic
section and are called Playin' Hookey Cookies. They're realllllly good.

Playin' Hookey Cookies - Deborah Jarvis

125g soft butter
125g crunchy peanut butter
125g granulated sugar
125g brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
150g self raising flour
50g crushed or chopped peanuts (optional - but I always add)

Cream butter and peanut butter till light and fluffy
Add sugars gradually.
Beat in egg and vanilla
Mix in sifted flour and crushed nuts if using.

roll dough into small balls about the size of walnuts. Place on baking
tray about 5cm apart. Flatten with floured fork. Bake just above the
centre of 180C (350F) oven for 10 - 12 minutes. Let cookies sit on tray
for a couple of minutes (they're very soft when straight out of oven)
then remove with palette knife and cool on rack.
Stark

In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or crunchy?
>
> I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy Albertson's
> store brand crunchy.
>
> Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?
>
> Wayne

I've probably eaten my weight, maybe a couple of times, in peanut
butter, mostly as snacks on Ritz crackers, wid or widout a dollop of
jelly, grape being the classic. Like Smuckers, but prefer Kroger store
brand, both in Natural Crunchy. Many years ago I replaced all my
hallucinogens with peanut butter, banana and jelly sandwiches on light
toast. Don't get quite the same colors but the crash is much more
comfortable.

Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby

"Stark" wrote
>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or crunchy?
>>
>> I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy
>> Albertson's
>> store brand crunchy.
>>
>> Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?
>>
>> Wayne

> I've probably eaten my weight, maybe a couple of times, in peanut
> butter, mostly as snacks on Ritz crackers, wid or widout a dollop of
> jelly, grape being the classic. Like Smuckers, but prefer Kroger store
> brand, both in Natural Crunchy. Many years ago I replaced all my
> hallucinogens with peanut butter, banana and jelly sandwiches on light
> toast. Don't get quite the same colors but the crash is much more
> comfortable.

Wow, Stark, I can see that! Good work.

Pam

jmcquown

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or
> crunchy?

When I lived in Bangkok my best friend's father wasn't supposed to eat PB
(cholesterol? not sure, it was 1969 - did they know about cholesterol back
then?). He'd take a knife and scrape out the center of the jar but make it
look like it was still filled.

The only time I ever heard of Laura Scudder's peanut butter was in the film
'Meet Joe Black'. Don't think I've ever seen it in a store down here.

I prefer Peter Pan crunchy... on toast

Jill

Sheldon

jmcquown wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or
> > crunchy?
> >

> When I lived in Bangkok my best friend's father wasn't supposed to

eat PB
> (cholesterol? not sure, it was 1969 - did they know about cholesterol

back
> then?). He'd take a knife and scrape out the center of the jar but

make it
> look like it was still filled.

Peanuts are vegetable... vegetables don't contain cholestedrol.

Ross Reid

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>If you don't make your own, what's your brand?

We used to use President's Choice all natural until they did something
to radically change the taste. Took back a couple of jars then emailed
the company to ask what had changed. They said nothing had changed
but, you can't fool my taste buds. After all, PB is one of my five
main food groups! We now use Adams 100% Natural. Like the PC Brand,
it's the old fashioned kind where you have to mix in the oil.

>Why?

Because it tastes great and there is NO added sugar.

>Smooth or crunchy?

Creamy

>I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy Albertson's
>store brand crunchy.
>
>Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?

Yes.
Ross.
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
jmcquown

Sheldon wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or
>>> crunchy?
>>>

>> When I lived in Bangkok my best friend's father wasn't supposed to
>> eat PB (cholesterol? not sure, it was 1969 - did they know about
>> cholesterol back then?). He'd take a knife and scrape out the
>> center of the jar but make it look like it was still filled.

> Peanuts are vegetable... vegetables don't contain cholestedrol.

Peanuts are legumes. But I have no idea why he wasn't supposed to eat
peanut butter. I just know they'd find a jar of it that looked full but
wasn't

Jill

Steve Calvin

Kate Connally wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>>If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or crunchy?

> I always buy the natural style. When I lived in So. Cal. I
> bought Laura Scudder's. Here in Pgh. I get Smucker's. Always
> smooth. I totally detest pieces of peanut in my butter. I don't
> like nuts in lots of things that leave them moist and not
> crispy and crunchy. Crunchy style peanut butter is a misnomer
> as the pieces of peanut are not crunchy at all!!! I don't like
> nuts in cakes or pies and especially in ice cream and in candies
> like filled chocolates with creamy center. I will eat nuts
> in chocolate or in brittle or toffee or even in caramel.
> Anyway, that's why I never eat "crunchy" peanut butter.
>

>>I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy Albertson's
>>store brand crunchy.

> I sure miss Laura Scudder's since I moved back to Pgh.
> Smucker's is pretty good but Laura's was a little better.

I'm a "Peter Pan" fan. <shrug> It's what I grew up with.

--
Steve

Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
Autograph your work with excellence.

Kate Connally

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or crunchy?

I always buy the natural style. When I lived in So. Cal. I
bought Laura Scudder's. Here in Pgh. I get Smucker's. Always
smooth. I totally detest pieces of peanut in my butter. I don't
like nuts in lots of things that leave them moist and not
crispy and crunchy. Crunchy style peanut butter is a misnomer
as the pieces of peanut are not crunchy at all!!! I don't like
nuts in cakes or pies and especially in ice cream and in candies
like filled chocolates with creamy center. I will eat nuts
in chocolate or in brittle or toffee or even in caramel.
Anyway, that's why I never eat "crunchy" peanut butter.

> I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy Albertson's
> store brand crunchy.

I sure miss Laura Scudder's since I moved back to Pgh.
Smucker's is pretty good but Laura's was a little better.

> Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?

Natch. Except that I don't eat it out of the jar.
I pretty much only cook with it. And when I make Gado
Gado I sometimes buy peanuts and grind them myself. Other
times, when I'm too lazy I just use bought.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Mon 31 Jan 2005 10:16:56p, MareCat wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> >> If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or crunchy?
> >>
> >> I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy.

> > Ditto (except I get the creamy version). Or Smuckers all-natural.
> >

> >> Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?

> > Yep.
> >
> > Mary

> Actually, IIRC, Laura Scudder is produced by Smuckers. Regardless, they're
> both good, and I can't tell them apart.
>
> Wayne

Hmmm? I didn't know that. Well, maybe my thinking
that Laura's is a little better is just in my fading
memory of my Calif. days.
Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

notbob wrote:

> On 2005-02-01, Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
> > Skippy Super Crunch. 'Cause that's just the way it is.

> Yep! ....scrapped right out of the jar with a big ol' celery stick.
>
> nb

I never could get too excited about celery with peanut butter.
I like both and they're not horrible together but they just
don't do anything for me. However, I discovered a much
better combo once at a party my sister threw where she served
celery and peanut butter but also had chips and bean dip.
Now that's another combo that leaves me cold. Chips and
salsa, yes; chips and bean dip, no. So I asked her if she
had any celery left and she did so I got the plain celery
and dipped it in the bean dip. Yum! That's a great
combination.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 31 Jan 2005 10:07:48p, kalanamak wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?

> Adam's smooth "stir", as opposed to "no stir". I mostly make sauces.
> Last night I stirred some into a carrot, onion and green bean soup with
> some curry. Very good soup. If I put this (unsweetened) stuff on toast,
> I put some apricot preserves in with it, or cinnamon sugar.
> blacksalt

Is Adam's a local or regional brand? I've not seen it before.

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 01 Feb 2005 12:17:46a, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 1 Feb 2005 03:51:15 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>>If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or crunchy?

> Skippy Super Crunch. 'Cause that's just the way it is.
>
> Carol

That used to be my favorite and I still like it. I switched to Laura Scudder
to reduce the sugar.

Wayne
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 01 Feb 2005 01:12:12a, notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2005-02-01, Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
>> Skippy Super Crunch. 'Cause that's just the way it is.

> Yep! ....scrapped right out of the jar with a big ol' celery stick.
>
> nb

A winning combination! One of my favorite snacks (because I think it's
healthy). :-)

Wayne
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 01 Feb 2005 02:42:49a, Rhonda Anderson wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>
>> If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or
>> crunchy?

> Don't know how much the brand would mean to you as I'm in Australia, but
> I buy Sanitarium Natural. It contains only roasted peanuts - no added
> sugar, salt or oil. Crunchy!!! No matter what brand peanut butter I've
> purchased (used to buy Kraft, and then Dick Smith - an Aussie company -
> until I decided to go down the no added sugar/salt route) it's always
> been crunchy.
>>
>> I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy
>> Albertson's store brand crunchy.
>>
>> Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?

> Yep. Don't use peanut butter a lot in cooking - mainly for some peanut
> butter cookies that I love and have been making for years. I try not to
> make them too often, and take them into work if I do, because otherwise I
> would sit down and eat the whole batch. The recipe is from a book called
> Kitchen Wizard It's aimed at kids, and I think I ordered this book
> through the book club at school. The recipes are all related to well
> known stories. These biscuits are in the Huckleberry Fin Raft Picnic
> section and are called Playin' Hookey Cookies. They're realllllly good.
>

> Playin' Hookey Cookies - Deborah Jarvis
>
> 125g soft butter
> 125g crunchy peanut butter
> 125g granulated sugar
> 125g brown sugar
> 1 egg
> 1/2 tsp vanilla
> 150g self raising flour
> 50g crushed or chopped peanuts (optional - but I always add)
>
> Cream butter and peanut butter till light and fluffy
> Add sugars gradually.
> Beat in egg and vanilla
> Mix in sifted flour and crushed nuts if using.
>
> roll dough into small balls about the size of walnuts. Place on baking
> tray about 5cm apart. Flatten with floured fork. Bake just above the
> centre of 180C (350F) oven for 10 - 12 minutes. Let cookies sit on tray
> for a couple of minutes (they're very soft when straight out of oven)
> then remove with palette knife and cool on rack.

Those look like good cookies, Rhonda! Gotta keep that recipe.

Wayne
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 01 Feb 2005 06:17:35a, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or
>> crunchy?
>>

> When I lived in Bangkok my best friend's father wasn't supposed to eat PB
> (cholesterol? not sure, it was 1969 - did they know about cholesterol back
> then?). He'd take a knife and scrape out the center of the jar but make it
> look like it was still filled.
>
> The only time I ever heard of Laura Scudder's peanut butter was in the film
> 'Meet Joe Black'. Don't think I've ever seen it in a store down here.
>
> I prefer Peter Pan crunchy... on toast
>
> Jill

Do you have Smucker's Peanut Butter in Memphis? It's the same as Laura
Scudder's.

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 01 Feb 2005 07:58:08a, Ross Reid wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>>If you don't make your own, what's your brand?

> We used to use President's Choice all natural until they did something
> to radically change the taste. Took back a couple of jars then emailed
> the company to ask what had changed. They said nothing had changed
> but, you can't fool my taste buds. After all, PB is one of my five
> main food groups! We now use Adams 100% Natural. Like the PC Brand,
> it's the old fashioned kind where you have to mix in the oil.
>
>>Why?

> Because it tastes great and there is NO added sugar.
>
>>Smooth or crunchy?

> Creamy
>
>>I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy
>>Albertson's store brand crunchy.
>>
>>Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?

> Yes.
> Ross.
> To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

I prefer the natural type, too, but I've enver seen Adam's in our stores
here in central AZ.

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 01 Feb 2005 09:55:46a, Kate Connally wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or
>> crunchy?

> I always buy the natural style. When I lived in So. Cal. I
> bought Laura Scudder's. Here in Pgh. I get Smucker's. Always
> smooth. I totally detest pieces of peanut in my butter. I don't
> like nuts in lots of things that leave them moist and not
> crispy and crunchy. Crunchy style peanut butter is a misnomer
> as the pieces of peanut are not crunchy at all!!! I don't like
> nuts in cakes or pies and especially in ice cream and in candies
> like filled chocolates with creamy center. I will eat nuts
> in chocolate or in brittle or toffee or even in caramel.
> Anyway, that's why I never eat "crunchy" peanut butter.
>
>> I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy
>> Albertson's store brand crunchy.

> I sure miss Laura Scudder's since I moved back to Pgh.
> Smucker's is pretty good but Laura's was a little better.

According to something I read quite a while ago, Smucker's and Laura
Scudder's are the same. Dunno about now.

>> Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?

> Natch. Except that I don't eat it out of the jar.
> I pretty much only cook with it. And when I make Gado
> Gado I sometimes buy peanuts and grind them myself. Other
> times, when I'm too lazy I just use bought.
>
> Kate

Wayne
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 01 Feb 2005 09:57:52a, Kate Connally wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> > Ditto (except I get the creamy version). Or Smuckers all-natural.

>> > Yep.
>> >
>> > Mary

>> Actually, IIRC, Laura Scudder is produced by Smuckers. Regardless,
>> they're both good, and I can't tell them apart.
>>
>> Wayne

> Hmmm? I didn't know that. Well, maybe my thinking
> that Laura's is a little better is just in my fading
> memory of my Calif. days.
> Kate

Sorry, I didn't see your response until after I posted earlier. Well, ya
know, maybe both of them are a little different now. I've had some over
the past few months and, while I haven't done an A/B comparison, I couldn't
tell the difference. I'm positive that these manufacturers make changes to
their products and swear that they don't. :-)

Wayne
Bob Myers

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or crunchy?

Jif reduced-fat smooth, 'cause that what Sam's has, and believe me,
the way my family goes through peanut butter, we NEED to buy it
in bulk. If anyone knows of a source selling the stuff in 55-gallon
drums, I'm all ears.

> Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?

Yes, if it lasts long enough...:-)

Bob M.

Dimitri

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or crunchy?
>
> I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy Albertson's
> store brand crunchy.
>
> Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?
>
> Wayne

Trader Joe's Crunchy

Dimitri

jmcquown

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 01 Feb 2005 06:17:35a, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or
>>> crunchy?
>>>

>> The only time I ever heard of Laura Scudder's peanut butter was in
>> the film 'Meet Joe Black'. Don't think I've ever seen it in a store
>> down here.
>>
>> I prefer Peter Pan crunchy... on toast
>>
>> Jill

> Do you have Smucker's Peanut Butter in Memphis? It's the same as
> Laura Scudder's.
>
> Wayne

Probably, Wayne. I don't actually hunt for peanut butter. One thing I
remember though, when my mom made chocolate chip cookies she'd add a couple
of Tbs. of smooth peanut butter to the dough - now *that* was good! Try it,
you'll like it! She used crunchy peanut butter in her PB cookies.

I make it sound like she's dead; she's not; she just doesn't make cookies
anymore. She turned 79 last Sunday

Jill

Damsel in dis Dress

:

>> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 04:24:08 GMT, Hahabogus >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Curried Peanut Soup is very good.

>> So, you gonna post the recipe, or what? Maybe you already did,
>> farther down in the thread. I'm just scanning quickly before going
>> to bed. That sounds like wonderful soup, though, and I'd love to
>> try it!

>It gave me the runs...Because it was so good, I ate 5 bowls of it,
>probably 3 bowls too many.

Under no circumstances should you send me that recipe. I'm staying as
close to the powder room as possible today already.

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 02:12:12 -0600, notbob > wrote:

>On 2005-02-01, Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
>> Skippy Super Crunch. 'Cause that's just the way it is.

>Yep! ....scrapped right out of the jar with a big ol' celery stick.

What about the raisins? You forgot the raisins!

Anyone remember the peanut butter with fake bacon in it?

Carol

limey

"jmcquown" wrote in message

>>> When I lived in Bangkok my best friend's father wasn't supposed to
>>> eat PB (cholesterol? not sure, it was 1969 - did they know about
>>> cholesterol back then?). He'd take a knife and scrape out the
>>> center of the jar but make it look like it was still filled.

>> Peanuts are vegetable... vegetables don't contain cholestedrol.

> Peanuts are legumes. But I have no idea why he wasn't supposed to eat
> peanut butter. I just know they'd find a jar of it that looked full but
> wasn't
>
> Jill

Some people are actually allergic to peanut butter.

Dora

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 01 Feb 2005 12:57:31p, Dimitri wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or crunchy?
>>
>> I usually buy Laura Scudder Crunchy. If I can't get it, I buy Albertson's
>> store brand crunchy.
>>
>> Do you cook with the same type you eat out of the jar?
>>
>> Wayne

> Trader Joe's Crunchy
>
> Dimitri

Hmmm... Didn't know TJ's made one. I'll have to give it a try.

Wayne

Damsel in dis Dress

On 1 Feb 2005 18:29:10 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>On Tue 01 Feb 2005 12:17:46a, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On 1 Feb 2005 03:51:15 GMT, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>
>>>If you don't make your own, what's your brand? Why? Smooth or crunchy?

>> Skippy Super Crunch. 'Cause that's just the way it is.

>That used to be my favorite and I still like it. I switched to Laura Scudder
>to reduce the sugar.

I figure I eat about a tablespoon per month, so I'm not too concerned about
the sugar content. But, damn, Skippy's Classic Peanut Butter Cookie recipe
is the best in the world! That's where the carb problems come in.

And who's this Laura person? Is she trying to put the moves on my man?

Carol