Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Experiences and opinions on Breville Thermal Pro cookware?

Thinking about replacing my aging impact-bonded cookware and ran across the Breville line. Any experiences with it? At the moment and probably for the foreseeable future I'll be using an electric stove.

If not Breville what's a brand you favor?

Thanks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 10:51:28 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Another rehashed subject but I have a few cast iron pans rarely
> > > used. Most all of my cookware is RevereWare stainless steel with
> > > the thin (and probably worthless) copper clad bottoms.
> > >
> > > You learn to cook well with what you have.

> > Sure, you can paint a house with a frayed twig. But good tools make
> > the job so much easier.

> Nothing wrong with RevereWare.

That's a matter of taste. I don't like it because of its poor thermal
conductivity. Sure, I could learn to work around that, but I don't
have to.

Put a Revere pan on an electric coil stove, put a little water in it and
crank the burner up. You'll see bubbles forming in a coil pattern. Why
should I fight that kind of poor behavior in my tools?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 7:22:53 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> Thinking about replacing my aging impact-bonded cookware and ran across the Breville line. Any experiences with it? At the moment and probably for the foreseeable future I'll be using an electric stove.
>
> If not Breville what's a brand you favor?
>
> Thanks

I'm not a brand name kind of guy. You can get a quality pan for a low price if you know what you're doing. My guess is that most reviews for cookware are mostly advertising anyway.

I'll buy a pan considering the material, construction, and price. These days I have a carbon steel frying pan and a non-stick stainless steel pan. The non-stick SS pans are hard to find. The stainless steel pan is relatively new and it's used for frying eggs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 7:22:53 PM UTC-10, wrote:
>> Thinking about replacing my aging impact-bonded cookware and ran across the Breville line. Any experiences with it? At the moment and probably for the foreseeable future I'll be using an electric stove.
>>
>> If not Breville what's a brand you favor?
>>
>> Thanks

> I'm not a brand name kind of guy. You can get a quality pan for a low price if you know what you're doing. My guess is that most reviews for cookware are mostly advertising anyway.
>
> I'll buy a pan considering the material, construction, and price. These days I have a carbon steel frying pan and a non-stick stainless steel pan. The non-stick SS pans are hard to find. The stainless steel pan is relatively new and it's used for frying eggs.

Asians sell decent cookware for real cheap prices. And yoose can
cook damn near anything in a wok. If you have two, you can even use
them for a double boiler.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/12/2020 1:05 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 10:51:28 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Sure, you can paint a house with a frayed twig. But good tools make
>>> the job so much easier.

>> Nothing wrong with RevereWare.

> That's a matter of taste. I don't like it because of its poor thermal
> conductivity. Sure, I could learn to work around that, but I don't
> have to.
>
> Put a Revere pan on an electric coil stove, put a little water in it and
> crank the burner up. You'll see bubbles forming in a coil pattern. Why
> should I fight that kind of poor behavior in my tools?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I'll be darned if I can find a problem with Revere cookware. I bought
my first set before I was 21. My mother had a set she got as a wedding
present in 1951. I inherited that so now I have two sets. Works
perfectly well for me. I don't know if the OP is talking about
non-stick. I've bought several pieces of non-stick cookware over the
years but never heard of Breville. Never thought much about "impact
bonded" cookware. Sounds like something touted on an Infomercial.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> On 8/12/2020 1:22 AM, wrote:
>> > Thinking about replacing my aging impact-bonded cookware and ran across
>> > the Breville line. Any experiences with it? At the moment and probably
>> > for the foreseeable future I'll be using an electric stove.
>> >
>> > If not Breville what's a brand you favor?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >

>> Different things for different uses. Lodge cast iron, AllClad,
>> Farberware, couple of copper pans. Woll pan in my most used.
>>
>> I buy pieces, not sets.

> Another rehashed subject but I have a few cast iron pans rarely
> used. Most all of my cookware is RevereWare stainless steel with
> the thin (and probably worthless) copper clad bottoms.
>
> You learn to cook well with what you have.

My original was good. I wrecked the handles by putting it in the dishwasher.
Some individual pieces were replaced, then I bought a new set. Pretty crappy
and the copper isn't even applied evenly. My last purchased piece has no
copper. It came with a loose handle. Bah!

Just got this set in red:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontin...d=actual_color

The whole set cost less than I would normally pay for one pan. I've had the
Dutch oven of this brand before. It was good for a year or two. If this set
lasts a year, I'll be happy.

I tend to use my Rachael Ray pasta pot or a skillet more than anything. Next
most used is the Dutch Oven. Now I have two.

I still have some of the Revere ware but it's not totally flat on the bottom
so not the best for my new stove.

They sure don't make things like they used to!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 8/12/2020 1:05 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Nothing wrong with RevereWare.

>> That's a matter of taste. I don't like it because of its poor thermal
>> conductivity. Sure, I could learn to work around that, but I don't
>> have to.
>>
>> Put a Revere pan on an electric coil stove, put a little water in it and
>> crank the burner up. You'll see bubbles forming in a coil pattern. Why
>> should I fight that kind of poor behavior in my tools?
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> I'll be darned if I can find a problem with Revere cookware. I bought my
> first set before I was 21. My mother had a set she got as a wedding
> present in 1951. I inherited that so now I have two sets. Works
> perfectly well for me. I don't know if the OP is talking about non-stick.
> I've bought several pieces of non-stick cookware over the years but never
> heard of Breville. Never thought much about "impact bonded" cookware.
> Sounds like something touted on an Infomercial.
>
> Jill

The old stuff is fine. The new stuff is not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 4:51:28 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Another rehashed subject but I have a few cast iron pans rarely
> > > used. Most all of my cookware is RevereWare stainless steel with
> > > the thin (and probably worthless) copper clad bottoms.
> > >
> > > You learn to cook well with what you have.

> > Sure, you can paint a house with a frayed twig. But good tools make
> > the job so much easier.

> Nothing wrong with RevereWare.

I grew up using a Revere Ware sauce pan. I misused it and burnt it terribly several times. I can't say if there's anything wrong with the cookware because these days, I wouldn't treat a pan like that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Put a Revere pan on an electric coil stove, put a little water in it and
> crank the burner up. You'll see bubbles forming in a coil pattern. Why
> should I fight that kind of poor behavior in my tools?

Well, you're not talking about a couple of hot spots there. On
the proper size burner, half the bottom is hotter and very
closely spaced together.

That's normal behavior. Put a pan on an electric coil and of
course the points of contact heat up immediately and the spaces
inbetween the coils are cooler.

Put that same pan on a gas burner and where the gas flames hit
the bottom of the pan, they spread out and give you more even
heating. Anyway, I've never had to "fight...poor behavior"

Just a matter of preference though between us. I like this and
you prefer that. All is fine.

I always had electric stoves until age 21 (1974). All gas
stoves since then...about 5 years of propane then natural
gas ever since. One good thing is that when the power is
out, my gas stove always works.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> > Nothing wrong with RevereWare.

> There's a lot wrong with the new stuff!

How new are you talking about, Julie?

Most of my revereware is from the mid-70s
up to the mid-80s and are nice.

My newest piece is an 8-quart pot (with lid)
that I bought in 1990 or so.

I always cooked soup and spaghetti sauce in a 5-quart
pot and always filled it up too high. So I bought an
8-quart one so I would have room to spare in a large
batch of something.

That didn't work. As soon as I started using the larger
pot, I made more and still filled it up. oh well.

Anyway, 8-quart pot of anything is fine for me. I'd never
buy a 16 or 24 quart Navy surplus pot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" wrote:
>> > Nothing wrong with RevereWare.

>> There's a lot wrong with the new stuff!

> How new are you talking about, Julie?

I bought a pan probably a year ago. It came with a loose handle.

> Most of my revereware is from the mid-70s
> up to the mid-80s and are nice.

My original set was late 70's. The two quart pan had to be replaced in the
mid 80's because a burner on my stove went wacko. It massively overheated,
made a noise like a Whistling Pete, then the end shot off and shot a hole
through my pan, skittering across the ceiling and leaving burn marks.

My brother bought me a new one that was a double boiler. Instead of having
two pans, it came with a metal bowl. I still have the bowl.

Both the first set and the other pan were fine until the handles went bad
from putting them in the dishwasher. Actually the newer pan wasn't as bad as
I had no dishwasher in that apartment.

I bought a new set in NY, so around 2004 or 2005. The quality wasn't so
great then.

> My newest piece is an 8-quart pot (with lid)
> that I bought in 1990 or so.
>
> I always cooked soup and spaghetti sauce in a 5-quart
> pot and always filled it up too high. So I bought an
> 8-quart one so I would have room to spare in a large
> batch of something.
>
> That didn't work. As soon as I started using the larger
> pot, I made more and still filled it up. oh well.

I have that problem with soup. It's hard for me to make a small pot of soup.

> Anyway, 8-quart pot of anything is fine for me. I'd never
> buy a 16 or 24 quart Navy surplus pot.

I think my Dutch Oven is a 4 quart. That can even be too much for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 4:51:28 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> > Sure, you can paint a house with a frayed twig. But good tools make
>> > the job so much easier.

>> Nothing wrong with RevereWare.

> I grew up using a Revere Ware sauce pan. I misused it and burnt it
> terribly several times. I can't say if there's anything wrong with the
> cookware because these days, I wouldn't treat a pan like that.

That is what happened to mine, but I wasn't the burner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 7:03:37 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Put a Revere pan on an electric coil stove, put a little water in it and
> > crank the burner up. You'll see bubbles forming in a coil pattern. Why
> > should I fight that kind of poor behavior in my tools?

> Well, you're not talking about a couple of hot spots there. On
> the proper size burner, half the bottom is hotter and very
> closely spaced together.
>
> That's normal behavior. Put a pan on an electric coil and of
> course the points of contact heat up immediately and the spaces
> inbetween the coils are cooler.

A pan with a good conductor will heat more evenly, even on gas burners:

<https://www.reddit.com/r/seriouseats/comments/74js69/heating_patterns_in_various_pans/>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> My original set was late 70's. The two quart pan had to be replaced in the
> mid 80's because a burner on my stove went wacko. It massively overheated,
> made a noise like a Whistling Pete, then the end shot off and shot a hole
> through my pan, skittering across the ceiling and leaving burn marks.

Well, Julie...that brief story is a bit more than just odd.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 7:03:37 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > >
> > > Put a Revere pan on an electric coil stove, put a little water in it and
> > > crank the burner up. You'll see bubbles forming in a coil pattern. Why
> > > should I fight that kind of poor behavior in my tools?

> > Well, you're not talking about a couple of hot spots there. On
> > the proper size burner, half the bottom is hotter and very
> > closely spaced together.
> >
> > That's normal behavior. Put a pan on an electric coil and of
> > course the points of contact heat up immediately and the spaces
> > inbetween the coils are cooler.

> A pan with a good conductor will heat more evenly, even on gas burners:
>
> <https://www.reddit.com/r/seriouseats/comments/74js69/heating_patterns_in_various_pans/>

You do sound a bit babyish when it comes to cookware. Perhaps you
need
all the help you can get.

I've tried a few heavy bottom pans and ended up giving them away.
Cast iron pans don't impress me either and I rarely use mine.

I can pan sear then cook to med-rare a good steak in my
RevereWare frying pan. Thin as it is. I've done it for years.
Just a matter of knowing how to cook well with what you have.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 10:46:48 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Well, you're not talking about a couple of hot spots there. On
> > > the proper size burner, half the bottom is hotter and very
> > > closely spaced together.
> > >
> > > That's normal behavior. Put a pan on an electric coil and of
> > > course the points of contact heat up immediately and the spaces
> > > inbetween the coils are cooler.

> > A pan with a good conductor will heat more evenly, even on gas burners:
> >
> > <https://www.reddit.com/r/seriouseats/comments/74js69/heating_patterns_in_various_pans/>

> You do sound a bit babyish when it comes to cookware. Perhaps you
> need
> all the help you can get.

I've cooked on everything from a campfire to a professional stove,
using every imaginable kind of cookware. I buy the tools that I prefer.

> I've tried a few heavy bottom pans and ended up giving them away.
> Cast iron pans don't impress me either and I rarely use mine.
>
> I can pan sear then cook to med-rare a good steak in my
> RevereWare frying pan. Thin as it is. I've done it for years.
> Just a matter of knowing how to cook well with what you have.

Good for you. I cook steak on the grill.

I cook well with what I have. I'm not asking you to replace your
Revere. I just think it's crap.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 10:46:48 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > A pan with a good conductor will heat more evenly, even on gas burners:
> > >
> > > <https://www.reddit.com/r/seriouseats/comments/74js69/heating_patterns_in_various_pans/>

> > You do sound a bit babyish when it comes to cookware. Perhaps you
> > need
> > all the help you can get.

> I've cooked on everything from a campfire to a professional stove,
> using every imaginable kind of cookware. I buy the tools that I prefer.
>
> > I've tried a few heavy bottom pans and ended up giving them away.
> > Cast iron pans don't impress me either and I rarely use mine.
> >
> > I can pan sear then cook to med-rare a good steak in my
> > RevereWare frying pan. Thin as it is. I've done it for years.
> > Just a matter of knowing how to cook well with what you have.

> Good for you. I cook steak on the grill.
>
> I cook well with what I have. I'm not asking you to replace your
> Revere. I just think it's crap.

OK then. I think we're finished here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 11:00:39 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > You do sound a bit babyish when it comes to cookware. Perhaps you
> > > need
> > > all the help you can get.

> > I've cooked on everything from a campfire to a professional stove,
> > using every imaginable kind of cookware. I buy the tools that I prefer.
> >
> > > I've tried a few heavy bottom pans and ended up giving them away.
> > > Cast iron pans don't impress me either and I rarely use mine.
> > >
> > > I can pan sear then cook to med-rare a good steak in my
> > > RevereWare frying pan. Thin as it is. I've done it for years.
> > > Just a matter of knowing how to cook well with what you have.

> > Good for you. I cook steak on the grill.
> >
> > I cook well with what I have. I'm not asking you to replace your
> > Revere. I just think it's crap.

> OK then. I think we're finished here.

Until the next time. I know we've had this discussion before.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 07:52:33 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 10:46:48 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> > A pan with a good conductor will heat more evenly, even on gas burners:
>> >
>> > <https://www.reddit.com/r/seriouseats/comments/74js69/heating_patterns_in_various_pans/>

>> You do sound a bit babyish when it comes to cookware. Perhaps you
>> need
>> all the help you can get.

>I've cooked on everything from a campfire to a professional stove,
>using every imaginable kind of cookware. I buy the tools that I prefer.
>
>> I've tried a few heavy bottom pans and ended up giving them away.
>> Cast iron pans don't impress me either and I rarely use mine.
>>
>> I can pan sear then cook to med-rare a good steak in my
>> RevereWare frying pan. Thin as it is. I've done it for years.
>> Just a matter of knowing how to cook well with what you have.

>Good for you. I cook steak on the grill.
>
>I cook well with what I have. I'm not asking you to replace your
>Revere. I just think it's crap.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Someone who knows how to cook can get fine results cooking/baking
anything in an empty coffee can... my mom baked great date nut loaves
in coffee cans... use a Swing-A-Way to cut through the bottom lid and
push out how much you want and make perfect round slices. Use the
plactic lids to keep it fresh longer.

My favorite every day go to pots/pans are Farberware.
For fancier cooking nothing on the planet is finer than my voluptuious
PIAZZA Cookware.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 13:56:42 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 07:52:33 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>>On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 10:46:48 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>>>
>>> You do sound a bit babyish when it comes to cookware. Perhaps you
>>> need
>>> all the help you can get.

>>I've cooked on everything from a campfire to a professional stove,
>>using every imaginable kind of cookware. I buy the tools that I prefer.
>>
>>> I've tried a few heavy bottom pans and ended up giving them away.
>>> Cast iron pans don't impress me either and I rarely use mine.
>>>
>>> I can pan sear then cook to med-rare a good steak in my
>>> RevereWare frying pan. Thin as it is. I've done it for years.
>>> Just a matter of knowing how to cook well with what you have.

>>Good for you. I cook steak on the grill.
>>
>>I cook well with what I have. I'm not asking you to replace your
>>Revere. I just think it's crap.
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton

>Someone who knows how to cook can get fine results cooking/baking
>anything in an empty coffee can... my mom baked great date nut loaves
>in coffee cans... use a Swing-A-Way to cut through the bottom lid and
>push out how much you want and make perfect round slices. Use the
>plactic lids to keep it fresh longer.
>
>My favorite every day go to pots/pans are Farberware.
>For fancier cooking nothing on the planet is finer than my voluptuious
>PIAZZA Cookware.

The planet? The universe!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 1:22:53 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> Thinking about replacing my aging impact-bonded cookware and ran across the Breville line. Any experiences with it? At the moment and probably for the foreseeable future I'll be using an electric stove.
>
> If not Breville what's a brand you favor?
>
> Thanks

I posted this back on April 26th. It may be of use to you:

<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.food.cooking/mG5OeESV1XY/Nve5qQAXBAAJ>

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 10:46:49 -0400, Gary wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:

>> [...] then the end shot off and shot a hole through my pan,
>> skittering across the ceiling and leaving burn marks.

> Well, Julie...that brief story is a bit more than just odd.

Do an image search on "cast iron explodes".

Usually, it happens when over-heated, but sometimes
due to metal fatigue with trusted cookery.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 07:52:33 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

>>> You do sound a bit babyish when it comes to cookware. Perhaps you
>>> need
>>> all the help you can get.

>> I've cooked on everything from a campfire to a professional stove,
>> using every imaginable kind of cookware. I buy the tools that I prefer.
>>
>>> I've tried a few heavy bottom pans and ended up giving them away.
>>> Cast iron pans don't impress me either and I rarely use mine.
>>>
>>> I can pan sear then cook to med-rare a good steak in my
>>> RevereWare frying pan. Thin as it is. I've done it for years.
>>> Just a matter of knowing how to cook well with what you have.

>> Good for you. I cook steak on the grill.
>>
>> I cook well with what I have. I'm not asking you to replace your
>> Revere. I just think it's crap.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> Someone who knows how to cook can get fine results cooking/baking
> anything in an empty coffee can... my mom baked great date nut loaves
> in coffee cans... use a Swing-A-Way to cut through the bottom lid and
> push out how much you want and make perfect round slices. Use the
> plactic lids to keep it fresh longer.
>
> My favorite every day go to pots/pans are Farberware.
> For fancier cooking nothing on the planet is finer than my voluptuious
> PIAZZA Cookware.

But can it compete with a 50 gallon steam kettle Popeye?

Yoose often told the tales of these fine cooking vessels.

AVAST Popeye!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 13:56:42 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 07:52:33 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> I've cooked on everything from a campfire to a professional stove,
>>> using every imaginable kind of cookware. I buy the tools that I prefer.

>>> Good for you. I cook steak on the grill.
>>>
>>> I cook well with what I have. I'm not asking you to replace your
>>> Revere. I just think it's crap.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> Someone who knows how to cook can get fine results cooking/baking
>> anything in an empty coffee can... my mom baked great date nut loaves
>> in coffee cans... use a Swing-A-Way to cut through the bottom lid and
>> push out how much you want and make perfect round slices. Use the
>> plactic lids to keep it fresh longer.
>>
>> My favorite every day go to pots/pans are Farberware.
>> For fancier cooking nothing on the planet is finer than my voluptuious
>> PIAZZA Cookware.

> The planet? The universe!

Yes. By now, even an idiot dutchman should know that perfidious
Popeye only uses the finest shit in the entire universe.

When this man fries simple damn baloney, it must be special jewish
baloney. When he drinks water, it is filtered by the finest RO
filter in the universe, right in his basement.

Oh, did I mention ... everything is super sanitary ... almost
surgically sterile. And his old lady with her titanium knees can
play 97 rounds of golf and bicycle the entire state in one afternoon.

Also he has ****ed his aunt, mother-in law, plus a nun in the
vatican. And sailed the seas, cooking the finest vittles on the planet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 1:25:35 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message ....
> > Julie Bove wrote:

> >> There's a lot wrong with the new stuff!

> > How new are you talking about, Julie?

> I bought a pan probably a year ago. It came with a loose handle.
> >
> > Most of my revereware is from the mid-70s
> > up to the mid-80s and are nice.

> My original set was late 70's. The two quart pan had to be replaced in the
> mid 80's because a burner on my stove went wacko. It massively overheated,
> made a noise like a Whistling Pete, then the end shot off and shot a hole
> through my pan, skittering across the ceiling and leaving burn marks.
>
> My brother bought me a new one that was a double boiler. Instead of having
> two pans, it came with a metal bowl. I still have the bowl.
>
> Both the first set and the other pan were fine until the handles went bad
> from putting them in the dishwasher. Actually the newer pan wasn't as bad as
> I had no dishwasher in that apartment.
>
> I bought a new set in NY, so around 2004 or 2005. The quality wasn't so
> great then.
> >
> > My newest piece is an 8-quart pot (with lid)
> > that I bought in 1990 or so.
> >
> > I always cooked soup and spaghetti sauce in a 5-quart
> > pot and always filled it up too high. So I bought an
> > 8-quart one so I would have room to spare in a large
> > batch of something.
> >
> > That didn't work. As soon as I started using the larger
> > pot, I made more and still filled it up. oh well.

> I have that problem with soup. It's hard for me to make a small pot of soup.
> >
> > Anyway, 8-quart pot of anything is fine for me. I'd never
> > buy a 16 or 24 quart Navy surplus pot.

> I think my Dutch Oven is a 4 quart. That can even be too much for me.

That's awesome! That happened to my friend's burner. The burner insulation failed and it arced, which created a ball of plasma which burned a hole clear through the thick pan on the stove. My friend said the plasma rose to the ceiling and dissipated. My guess it's the same stuff as ball lightning.

I sure wish I had witnessed this phenomenon. Evidently, one can create a sustained, glowing, ball of plasma with 220V, a burner, and a pot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove wrote:

> > > There's a lot wrong with the new stuff!

> > How new are you talking about, Julie?

> I bought a pan probably a year ago. It came with a loose handle.
> >
> > Most of my revereware is from the mid-70s
> > up to the mid-80s and are nice.

> My original set was late 70's. The two quart pan had to be replaced
> in the mid 80's because a burner on my stove went wacko. It massively
> overheated, made a noise like a Whistling Pete, then the end shot off
> and shot a hole through my pan, skittering across the ceiling and
> leaving burn marks.
>
> My brother bought me a new one that was a double boiler. Instead of
> having two pans, it came with a metal bowl. I still have the bowl.
>
> Both the first set and the other pan were fine until the handles went
> bad from putting them in the dishwasher. Actually the newer pan
> wasn't as bad as I had no dishwasher in that apartment.
>
> I bought a new set in NY, so around 2004 or 2005. The quality wasn't
> so great then.
> >
> > My newest piece is an 8-quart pot (with lid)
> > that I bought in 1990 or so.
> >
> > I always cooked soup and spaghetti sauce in a 5-quart
> > pot and always filled it up too high. So I bought an
> > 8-quart one so I would have room to spare in a large
> > batch of something.
> >
> > That didn't work. As soon as I started using the larger
> > pot, I made more and still filled it up. oh well.

> I have that problem with soup. It's hard for me to make a small pot
> of soup.
> >
> > Anyway, 8-quart pot of anything is fine for me. I'd never
> > buy a 16 or 24 quart Navy surplus pot.

> I think my Dutch Oven is a 4 quart. That can even be too much for me.

Julie, confirm the BRAND you have?

We are talking *specifically* Revereware (sp?). Not just some 'new
pots you got someplace'.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike Duffy wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 10:46:49 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
> > Julie Bove wrote:

> >> [...] then the end shot off and shot a hole through my pan,
> >> skittering across the ceiling and leaving burn marks.

> > Well, Julie...that brief story is a bit more than just odd.

> Do an image search on "cast iron explodes".
>
> Usually, it happens when over-heated, but sometimes
> due to metal fatigue with trusted cookery.

Most any glass (pyrex) or corning ware and corelle, even
cast iron should be tempered first before being heated up
fast.

One should never go from cold or room temp right to high
heat immediately.

Those corning ware baking dishes and even the corelle dinner
ware will literally explode when heated too fast or even
dropped on the floor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/13/2020 10:47 AM, Gary wrote:

> I've tried a few heavy bottom pans and ended up giving them away.
> Cast iron pans don't impress me either and I rarely use mine.
>
> I can pan sear then cook to med-rare a good steak in my
> RevereWare frying pan. Thin as it is. I've done it for years.
> Just a matter of knowing how to cook well with what you have.

Steak goes on the infra-red searing burner on the grill. Other things,
like pork chop I do in my copper pan. Nice even heat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 6:17:06 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> Most any glass (pyrex) or corning ware and corelle, even
> cast iron should be tempered first before being heated up
> fast.
>
> One should never go from cold or room temp right to high
> heat immediately.
>
> Those corning ware baking dishes and even the corelle dinner
> ware will literally explode when heated too fast or even
> dropped on the floor.

That was one of the selling points of the original Corning Ware dishes. From freezer
to oven or stovetop with no danger of cracking or breaking. Will the newer Corning
Ware dishes hold up to that claim? Probably not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 4:46:48 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Well, you're not talking about a couple of hot spots there. On
> > > the proper size burner, half the bottom is hotter and very
> > > closely spaced together.
> > >
> > > That's normal behavior. Put a pan on an electric coil and of
> > > course the points of contact heat up immediately and the spaces
> > > inbetween the coils are cooler.

> > A pan with a good conductor will heat more evenly, even on gas burners:
> >
> > <https://www.reddit.com/r/seriouseats/comments/74js69/heating_patterns_in_various_pans/>

> You do sound a bit babyish when it comes to cookware. Perhaps you
> need
> all the help you can get.
>
> I've tried a few heavy bottom pans and ended up giving them away.
> Cast iron pans don't impress me either and I rarely use mine.
>
> I can pan sear then cook to med-rare a good steak in my
> RevereWare frying pan. Thin as it is. I've done it for years.
> Just a matter of knowing how to cook well with what you have.

My weapon of choice for grilling a steak is a carbon steel pan. The thing about a carbon steel pan on an induction range is that the pan will have major hot spots because the induction effect is so highly focused. No matter, the results are awesome. All that stuff about pans having hot spots are overblown.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...rk4n9XiP-6-PEx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> My weapon of choice for grilling a steak is a carbon steel pan. The thing about a carbon steel pan on an induction range is that the pan will have major hot spots because the induction effect is so highly focused. No matter, the results are awesome. All that stuff about pans having hot spots are overblown.

I still have a fond memory of maybe best steak ever. Took it on a
weekend camping trip to cook the first night. I cooked it on a
forked stick held over a campfire. At one point, it even fell off
of the stick into the fire and got covered with ashes. Just
brushed off the ashes and it was delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/14/2020 9:58 AM, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>> My weapon of choice for grilling a steak is a carbon steel pan. The thing about a carbon steel pan on an induction range is that the pan will have major hot spots because the induction effect is so highly focused. No matter, the results are awesome. All that stuff about pans having hot spots are overblown.

> I still have a fond memory of maybe best steak ever. Took it on a
> weekend camping trip to cook the first night. I cooked it on a
> forked stick held over a campfire. At one point, it even fell off
> of the stick into the fire and got covered with ashes. Just
> brushed off the ashes and it was delicious.

That is called "atmosphere". Can't buy it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 6:57:47 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > My weapon of choice for grilling a steak is a carbon steel pan. The thing about a carbon steel pan on an induction range is that the pan will have major hot spots because the induction effect is so highly focused. No matter, the results are awesome. All that stuff about pans having hot spots are overblown.

> I still have a fond memory of maybe best steak ever. Took it on a
> weekend camping trip to cook the first night. I cooked it on a
> forked stick held over a campfire. At one point, it even fell off
> of the stick into the fire and got covered with ashes. Just
> brushed off the ashes and it was delicious.

You certainly can't argue with that. I don't mind ashes at all. OTOH, I find forests to be kind of spooky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtSSsu9u5YY
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/13/2020 10:46 AM, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> My original set was late 70's. The two quart pan had to be replaced in the
>> mid 80's because a burner on my stove went wacko. It massively overheated,
>> made a noise like a Whistling Pete, then the end shot off and shot a hole
>> through my pan, skittering across the ceiling and leaving burn marks.

> Well, Julie...that brief story is a bit more than just odd.

You find that surprising?

Jill

Swis Diamond Cookware -- opinions? -- reviews? [email protected][_2_] General Cooking 0 03-02-2014 04:34 AM
buy a breville juicer MrWeb General Cooking 0 18-11-2007 06:54 AM
Thermal Cooking Big Al General Cooking 0 28-08-2006 02:19 AM
Thermal coffee cup Liz Coffee 0 28-10-2004 06:47 PM
opinions on cuisinart stainless cookware? Saerah General Cooking 44 28-03-2004 08:35 AM