Old 02-04-2009, 10:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's a substitute for Pernod?

Kris wrote:

I want to make a recipe that calls for 1 TB of pernod.

I am not buying a whole bottle of expensive liquor for THAT little!
What else would be a sub for it? Sambuca (which I don'thave either)??

Many kinds of liquour are marketed under the name Pernod. I suspect you
have pastis in mind. It is an anise- (or nowadays star anise) flavoured
aperitif-type liquor, which was developed to replace absinthe after it
was outlawed in France. There are many pastis brands, Pernod being just
one of them (and Pernod now produces absinthe again). There is also
Ricard (which belongs to Pernod, too, being a part of the Pernod-Ricard
conglomerate), Janot, Casanis, Duval, Anilou, etc. Pastis, in France at
least, is usually not very expensive, being a "common man" drink.

Pastis can be possibly substituted by another anise-flavoured liquor,
such as the Arabic arak, the Turkish raki, the greek ouzo and, yes,
possibly even by sambuca. Sambuca, though, is usually sweetened, so
would probably lend itself to sweet recipes only.

Victor
who can't stand anything anise-flavoured

Old 02-04-2009, 11:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Good evening all,

I want to make a recipe that calls for 1 TB of pernod.

I am not buying a whole bottle of expensive liquor for THAT little!
What else would be a sub for it? Sambuca (which I don'thave either)??

Thanks for any help,

Kris
Old 03-04-2009, 12:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:
Good evening all,

I want to make a recipe that calls for 1 TB of pernod.

I am not buying a whole bottle of expensive liquor for THAT little!
What else would be a sub for it? Sambuca (which I don'thave either)??

For that small amount you could probably get away with a bit of Ouzo or
Pastisse, but if you don't have Pernod or Sambuca you probably would not
have those either. You could try a small pinch of anise with brandy,
white rum or vodka.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 2, 7:00*pm, Dave Smith wrote:
Kris wrote:
Good evening all,

I want to make a recipe that calls for 1 TB of pernod.

I am not buying a whole bottle of expensive liquor for THAT little!
What else would be a sub for it? Sambuca (which I don'thave either)??

For that small amount you could probably get away with a bit of Ouzo or
Pastisse, but if you don't have Pernod or Sambuca you probably would not
have those either. You could try a small pinch of anise with brandy,
white rum or vodka.

I have anise seed. Do you think steeping vodka with some of that would
work?

Kris
Old 03-04-2009, 12:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 2, 4:06*pm, Kris wrote:
On Apr 2, 7:00*pm, Dave Smith wrote:

Kris wrote:
Good evening all,

I want to make a recipe that calls for 1 TB of pernod.

I am not buying a whole bottle of expensive liquor for THAT little!
What else would be a sub for it? Sambuca (which I don'thave either)??

For that small amount you could probably get away with a bit of Ouzo or
Pastisse, but if you don't have Pernod or Sambuca you probably would not
have those either. You could try a small pinch of anise with brandy,
white rum or vodka.

I have anise seed. Do you think steeping vodka with some of that would
work?

Kris

I think that might work okay...
Old 03-04-2009, 01:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
Kris wrote:
Good evening all,

I want to make a recipe that calls for 1 TB of pernod.

I am not buying a whole bottle of expensive liquor for THAT little!
What else would be a sub for it? Sambuca (which I don'thave either)??

Pernod itself was developed as a mock absinthe.

It was not a mock absinthe. Pernod was the most popular brand of that
type of liquor. It had a high alcohol content and had the added kick of
the wormwood. When absinthe was banned it re-emerged as pastis. a lower
alcohol spirit but without the wormwood. It is very popular all around
the Mediterranean and especially in France.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 16:06:19 -0700 (PDT), Kris
wrote:

I have anise seed. Do you think steeping vodka with some of that would
work?

They might be usable in six to eight weeks...but the Pernod is needed
soon!

Stop and think about it....how many recipes have you run across that
required Pernod? I probably would skip the recipe and go on to
something more palatable.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 16:43:57 -0800, Mark Thorson
wrote:

Not that you're likely to have an open bottle of absinthe
in the house . . .

Wasn't that banned for sale? Think I remember reading something
about that.

....from Wikapedia

The chemical thujone, present in small quantities, was singled out and
blamed for its alleged harmful effects. By 1915, absinthe had been
banned in the United States and in most European countries except the
United Kingdom, Sweden, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and the
Austro-Hungarian Empire.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Bill wrote:

The chemical thujone, present in small quantities, was singled out and
blamed for its alleged harmful effects. By 1915, absinthe had been
banned in the United States and in most European countries except the
United Kingdom, Sweden, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and the
Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Absinthe is legal in a lot of places now, including the US. My son and
his friends used to order it by mail from the Czech Republic moe than 10
years ago.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
Mark Thorson wrote:
Kris wrote:
Good evening all,

I want to make a recipe that calls for 1 TB of pernod.

I am not buying a whole bottle of expensive liquor for THAT little!
What else would be a sub for it? Sambuca (which I don'thave either)??

Pernod itself was developed as a mock absinthe.

It was not a mock absinthe. Pernod was the most popular brand of that
type of liquor. It had a high alcohol content and had the added kick of
the wormwood. When absinthe was banned it re-emerged as pastis. a lower
alcohol spirit but without the wormwood. It is very popular all around
the Mediterranean and especially in France.

I had Pastis in Paris last Fall. It was wonderful. I have scoured the
local liquor stores and no one seems to have it. I looked on the cruise
ship in February but they didn't have it either. It seems to be a
novelty liquor here. I guess I can live without it. g

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Old 03-04-2009, 04:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

It was not a mock absinthe. Pernod was the most popular brand of that
type of liquor. It had a high alcohol content and had the added kick
of the wormwood. When absinthe was banned it re-emerged as pastis. a
lower alcohol spirit but without the wormwood. It is very popular all
around the Mediterranean and especially in France.

I had Pastis in Paris last Fall. It was wonderful. I have scoured the
local liquor stores and no one seems to have it. I looked on the cruise
ship in February but they didn't have it either. It seems to be a
novelty liquor here. I guess I can live without it. g

You can get it in any liquor store around here. I always have some on
hand. A little pastis is a nice touch to flambee shrimp. It is also a
nice drink on a hot summer day, but be careful. That stuff is potent.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kris" wrote in message
Good evening all,

I want to make a recipe that calls for 1 TB of pernod.

I am not buying a whole bottle of expensive liquor for THAT little!
What else would be a sub for it? Sambuca (which I don'thave either)??

Thanks for any help,

Kris

Many liquor stores (package stores, agencies, etc.) carry "airline"
bottles, about a shot's worth. Great for cooking with. I've been using
them for a few years now; they cost a little bit more, per unit measure, but
better than buying booze that's not going to get consumed in a reasonable
amount of time. Also started buying those 4-packs of wine for cooking, as
we're not big wine drinkers.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Paco wrote:

Many liquor stores (package stores, agencies, etc.) carry "airline"
bottles, about a shot's worth. Great for cooking with. I've been using
them for a few years now; they cost a little bit more, per unit measure, but
better than buying booze that's not going to get consumed in a reasonable
amount of time.

I buy a few when I go to see a local comedy show, Ask Dr. Hal at
Chicken House in the mission. They'd let you take a full-size bottle
in, but somehow the miniature seem more a-pro-pro.

There was no Night Train at the nearest corner store.
That would be appropriate too.

S.