Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Follow up: My Pernod substitute experiment is complete!

Good evening all,

Well, I made my scallop gratins, which required the Pernod I didn't
have on hand.

I crushed some anise seeds up in my mortar and pestle & added it to
some Stoli vodka Friday night. I strained it tonight & added it to the
recipe as was called for. It smelled ouzo-y so I figured what the heck
it was close.

The recipe was delicious!! My husband practically licked his dish. I
could tell it (the faux Pernod) must have been close enough because I
could detect some anise undertones as I ate.

Thanks to all who helped me sleuth out a substitute. Now we know what
to do (at least for a dish such as this).

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 16:44:09 -0700 (PDT), Kris wrote:

> Good evening all,
>
> Well, I made my scallop gratins, which required the Pernod I didn't
> have on hand.
>
> I crushed some anise seeds up in my mortar and pestle & added it to
> some Stoli vodka Friday night. I strained it tonight & added it to the
> recipe as was called for. It smelled ouzo-y so I figured what the heck
> it was close.
>
> The recipe was delicious!! My husband practically licked his dish. I
> could tell it (the faux Pernod) must have been close enough because I
> could detect some anise undertones as I ate.
>
> Thanks to all who helped me sleuth out a substitute. Now we know what
> to do (at least for a dish such as this).
>
> Kris

i love a happy ending.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:
> Good evening all,
>
> Well, I made my scallop gratins, which required the Pernod I didn't
> have on hand.
>
> I crushed some anise seeds up in my mortar and pestle & added it to
> some Stoli vodka Friday night. I strained it tonight & added it to the
> recipe as was called for. It smelled ouzo-y so I figured what the heck
> it was close.
>
> The recipe was delicious!! My husband practically licked his dish. I
> could tell it (the faux Pernod) must have been close enough because I
> could detect some anise undertones as I ate.
>
> Thanks to all who helped me sleuth out a substitute. Now we know what
> to do (at least for a dish such as this).

Glad to hear that it turned out well. I can imagine that it would be
good, though I find that scallops tend to turn out great with very
simple recipes. As I had posted earlier, I sometimes add a little
Pernod to sauteed shrimp. I once had a fabulous shrimp dish in a
restaurant and asked the server about the mysterious flavour, which
turned out to be the Pernod. I bought a bottle and have experimented,but
never got it quite right. It was good, but not as good as theirs.

As I said, I tend to keep it simple with scallops. If I get nice big
scallops I salt them to draw out the flavour and then just pan sear
them. With medium size scallops I like to dip them in a mixture of cream
and mustard then roll them in bread crumbs and broil them. With smaller
scallops I simmer them, use the broth to make a white sauce and make
Coquilles St. Jacques, which is not exactly a simple dish, but
absolutely delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 11:56*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Kris wrote:
> > Good evening all,

> > Well, I made my scallop gratins, which required the Pernod I didn't
> > have on hand.

> > I crushed some anise seeds up in my mortar and pestle & added it to
> > some Stoli vodka Friday night. I strained it tonight & added it to the
> > recipe as was called for. It smelled ouzo-y so I figured what the heck
> > it was close.

> > The recipe was delicious!! My husband practically licked his dish. I
> > could tell it (the faux Pernod) must have been close enough because I
> > could detect some anise undertones as I ate.

> > Thanks to all who helped me sleuth out a substitute. *Now we know what
> > to do (at least for a dish such as this).

> Glad to hear that it turned out well. I can imagine that it would be
> good, though I find that scallops tend to turn out great with very
> simple recipes. *As I had posted earlier, I sometimes add a little
> Pernod to sauteed shrimp. I once had a fabulous shrimp dish in a
> restaurant and asked the server about the mysterious flavour, which
> turned out to be the Pernod. I bought a bottle and have experimented,but
> never got it quite right. It was good, but not as good as theirs.
>
> As I said, I tend to keep it simple with scallops. If I get nice big
> scallops I salt them to draw out the flavour and then just pan sear
> them. With medium size scallops I like to dip them in a mixture of cream
> and mustard then roll them in bread crumbs and broil them. With smaller
> scallops I simmer them, use the broth to make a white sauce and make
> Coquilles St. Jacques, which is not exactly a simple dish, but
> absolutely delicious.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks - you sound like a bit of a scallop expert! What is your
Pernod recipe,if I may ask?

Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kris > wrote:

> Good evening all,
>
> Well, I made my scallop gratins, which required the Pernod I didn't
> have on hand.
>
> I crushed some anise seeds up in my mortar and pestle & added it to
> some Stoli vodka Friday night. I strained it tonight & added it to the
> recipe as was called for. It smelled ouzo-y so I figured what the heck
> it was close.
>
> The recipe was delicious!! My husband practically licked his dish. I
> could tell it (the faux Pernod) must have been close enough because I
> could detect some anise undertones as I ate.
>
> Thanks to all who helped me sleuth out a substitute. Now we know what
> to do (at least for a dish such as this).
>
> Kris

Well done. :-) I'm glad it worked out for you.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:

>> As I said, I tend to keep it simple with scallops. If I get nice big
>> scallops I salt them to draw out the flavour and then just pan sear
>> them. With medium size scallops I like to dip them in a mixture of cream
>> and mustard then roll them in bread crumbs and broil them. With smaller
>> scallops I simmer them, use the broth to make a white sauce and make
>> Coquilles St. Jacques, which is not exactly a simple dish, but
>> absolutely delicious.- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks - you sound like a bit of a scallop expert! What is your
> Pernod recipe,if I may ask?

Thanks, but I am no expert on scallops, which is probably why I keep
things simple. The breaded and broiled scallops are not quite as simple
as pan seared, but I can tell you they are delicious.

For the shrimp I just sauteed some garlic in butter, tossed in the
shelled shrimp, seasoned with salt and pepper, toss in some parsley and
a squeeze of lemon juice and a little bit of Pernod. Adding enough to
flambee was not a good idea. It needs just a little.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 2:47*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Kris wrote:
>
> >> As I said, I tend to keep it simple with scallops. If I get nice big
> >> scallops I salt them to draw out the flavour and then just pan sear
> >> them. With medium size scallops I like to dip them in a mixture of cream
> >> and mustard then roll them in bread crumbs and broil them. With smaller
> >> scallops I simmer them, use the broth to make a white sauce and make
> >> Coquilles St. Jacques, which is not exactly a simple dish, but
> >> absolutely delicious.- Hide quoted text -

> > Thanks - you sound like a bit of a scallop expert! *What is your
> > Pernod recipe,if I may ask?

> Thanks, but I am no expert on scallops, which is probably why I keep
> things simple. The breaded and broiled scallops are not quite as simple
> as pan seared, but I can tell you they are delicious.
>
> For the shrimp I just sauteed *some garlic in butter, tossed in the
> shelled shrimp, seasoned with salt and pepper, toss in some parsley and
> a squeeze of lemon juice and a little bit of Pernod. Adding enough to
> flambee was not a good idea. It needs just a little.

Hmmm, I have some shrimp in the freezer. I may have to try this out
with the rest of my faux Pernod.

Thanks,
Kris