Old 04-10-2005, 12:36 AM
Teri

Default Help! Need a substitute

for soft shortening. Recipe for cornbread calls for 1/2 cup of soft
shortening. I have a crockpot full of chili which is begging for cornbread.
What can I use in place of 'soft shortening'? Oil? Butter? A combination?
thanks!
Teri

Old 04-10-2005, 01:13 AM
itsjoannotjoann

Teri wrote:
for soft shortening. Recipe for cornbread calls for 1/2 cup of soft
shortening. I have a crockpot full of chili which is begging for cornbread.
What can I use in place of 'soft shortening'? Oil? Butter? A combination?
thanks!
Teri

If you don't have 'soft shortening' or bacon grease, I'd go with oil.

Old 04-10-2005, 01:15 AM
aem

Teri wrote:
for soft shortening. Recipe for cornbread calls for 1/2 cup of soft
shortening. I have a crockpot full of chili which is begging for cornbread.
What can I use in place of 'soft shortening'? Oil? Butter? A combination?
thanks!
Teri

Whaddayagot? Butter, margarine, lard, Crisco, bacon grease will all
work. If all you have is liquid oil you may have to lessen the
quantity to retain texture. And you wouldn't want to use olive oil,
I'd think, because of the taste.

Better yet, make the recipe I posted years ago for cornbread. It was
from Sunset magazine, included yogurt and egg but no shortening, was
baked in a cast iron skillet. Its real claim to fame is that produces
a firm kind of cornbread, not the cake type, so it holds together
nicely rather than crumbling -- perfect for chili. I suspect if you
Google for +cornbread+yogurt you'll find it. --aem

Old 04-10-2005, 01:25 AM
aem

aem wrote:

Better yet, make the recipe I posted years ago for cornbread. [snip]

Here, I think this is it:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
2 large eggs

1=2E In a bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, soda, and salt. Add yogurt
and eggs and mix just until blended. [Better: beat eggs separately,
then stir them together with the yogurt well, and then add to the dry
ingredients.] Pour into a buttered 8- to 9-inch square or round pan.
[Absolutely not. Pour into a greased cast iron skillet.]

2=2E Bake in a 400=B0 oven until bread springs back when gently pressed in
center, 20 to 25 minutes. Cut in squares or wedges. Serve warm.
-aem

Old 04-10-2005, 01:30 AM
Teri

"aem" wrote in message
ups.com...
aem wrote:

Better yet, make the recipe I posted years ago for cornbread. [snip]

Here, I think this is it:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
2 large eggs

1. In a bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, soda, and salt. Add yogurt
and eggs and mix just until blended. [Better: beat eggs separately,
then stir them together with the yogurt well, and then add to the dry
ingredients.] Pour into a buttered 8- to 9-inch square or round pan.
[Absolutely not. Pour into a greased cast iron skillet.]

2. Bake in a 400 oven until bread springs back when gently pressed in
center, 20 to 25 minutes. Cut in squares or wedges. Serve warm.
-aem

Thanks I printed this recipe for the future. I ended up using butter - so
we'll see how that turns out :-)
teri

Old 04-10-2005, 01:56 AM
jmcquown

Teri wrote:
for soft shortening. Recipe for cornbread calls for 1/2 cup of soft
shortening. I have a crockpot full of chili which is begging for
cornbread. What can I use in place of 'soft shortening'? Oil?
Butter? A combination? thanks!
Teri

Butter. Absolutely.

Jill

Old 04-10-2005, 02:53 AM
rosie

Butter. Absolutely.

Jill
I can't think of much that butter doesn't make better in cooking.
Rosie

Old 04-10-2005, 02:42 PM
Peter Aitken

"Teri" wrote in message
for soft shortening. Recipe for cornbread calls for 1/2 cup of soft
shortening. I have a crockpot full of chili which is begging for
cornbread.
What can I use in place of 'soft shortening'? Oil? Butter? A
combination?
thanks!
Teri

Butter or margarine.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 04-10-2005, 02:50 PM
Dimitri

"Teri" wrote in message
for soft shortening. Recipe for cornbread calls for 1/2 cup of soft
shortening. I have a crockpot full of chili which is begging for cornbread.
What can I use in place of 'soft shortening'? Oil? Butter? A combination?
thanks!
Teri

Use room temperature butter - Oil will coat the corn meal and make the bread
greasy.

Dimitri

Old 04-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Kathy

"Teri" wrote in message
for soft shortening. Recipe for cornbread calls for 1/2 cup of soft
shortening. I have a crockpot full of chili which is begging for
cornbread.
What can I use in place of 'soft shortening'? Oil? Butter? A
combination?
thanks!
Teri

I substitute olive oil for shortening in a lot of my baking, but have
discovered that oil is denser. If you use oil, consider measuring half to
two-thirds the amount of the shortening. Butter can be substituted for
shortening one-for-one.

Kathy

Old 04-10-2005, 11:45 PM
Arri London

Teri wrote:

for soft shortening. Recipe for cornbread calls for 1/2 cup of soft
shortening. I have a crockpot full of chili which is begging for cornbread.
What can I use in place of 'soft shortening'? Oil? Butter? A combination?
thanks!
Teri

Lard would be the best substitute.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:24 PM
Dee Randall

"Arri London" wrote in message

Teri wrote:

for soft shortening. Recipe for cornbread calls for 1/2 cup of soft
shortening. I have a crockpot full of chili which is begging for
cornbread.
What can I use in place of 'soft shortening'? Oil? Butter? A
combination?
thanks!
Teri

Lard would be the best substitute.

Yes, I think lard would be a good substitute, too. But then, again, I
wonder how many people nowadays do keep lard in their larder -- er, I mean
refrig or pantry.
Dee Dee