Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sprouts

How do you do 'em?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob said...

> How do you do 'em?
>
> nb

nb,

A long time ago it was raw alfalfa sprouts as a sandwich filler until reports
of some kind of bacteria contamination surfaced. I forget which.

I enjoyed the crunch of them. I can't recall the flavor.

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-02-11, Andy > wrote:

> A long time ago it was raw alfalfa sprouts as a sandwich filler.....

I remember that. Still some places in CA that do it. I never liked it.

I want to know the best way to grow mung and soy sprouts for stir fry and my
monster thai soup. I can't get anything even remotely resembling fresh
sprouts around here. Pre-bagged and old is the usual.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> How do you do 'em?

Brussells Sprouts, bean spouts, wheat sprouts???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> notbob said...
>
>> How do you do 'em?
>>
>> nb

> nb,
>
> A long time ago it was raw alfalfa sprouts as a sandwich filler until reports
> of some kind of bacteria contamination surfaced. I forget which.
>
> I enjoyed the crunch of them. I can't recall the flavor.

Mebee he means the Brussells variety, Andy

(in which case, I recall the flavor all too well, I tell you what)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-02-11, Dave Smith > wrote:

> Brussells Sprouts, bean spouts, wheat sprouts???

Mung and soy sprouts.

"Brussel"..... c'mon. I like 'em, but don't 'spect I can grown 'em.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 2:45*pm, notbob > wrote:
> How do you do 'em?
>
> nb

In a jar...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-02-11, merryb > wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2:45*pm, notbob > wrote:
>> How do you do 'em?
>>
>> nb

> In a jar...

Wow! I'm an expert. Thnx

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 3:31*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2009-02-11, merryb > wrote:
>
> > On Feb 11, 2:45*pm, notbob > wrote:
> >> How do you do 'em?

> >> nb

> > In a jar...

> Wow! *I'm an expert. *Thnx
>
> nb

What do you mean? I wasn't trying to be a smartass or anything...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline said...

> Andy wrote:
>> notbob said...
>>
>>> How do you do 'em?
>>>
>>> nb

>> nb,
>>
>> A long time ago it was raw alfalfa sprouts as a sandwich filler until
>> reports of some kind of bacteria contamination surfaced. I forget
>> which.
>>
>> I enjoyed the crunch of them. I can't recall the flavor.

> Mebee he means the Brussells variety, Andy
>
> (in which case, I recall the flavor all too well, I tell you what)

Pennyaline,

Heh heh heh. nb was perhaps a little too vague?

That aside, who doesn't know the sulfur aroma of overdone Brussels
sprouts!?!

Best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-02-11, merryb > wrote:

> What do you mean? I wasn't trying to be a smartass or anything...

"In a jar" Yeah, that's informative. Where do I get the seeds? How big a
jar? Jes put seeds in jar and wait? Water? Temps? Light? I got creole
spices in a jar. They ain't sprouted. :|

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 3:40*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2009-02-11, merryb > wrote:
>
> > What do you mean? I wasn't trying to be a smartass or anything...

> "In a jar" *Yeah, that's informative. *Where do I get the seeds? *How big a
> jar? *Jes put seeds in jar and wait? *Water? Temps? Light? *I got creole
> spices in a jar. *They ain't sprouted. *:|
>
> nb

http://www.essortment.com/all/growsprouts_rabk.htm
Ok, sorry...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> notbob said...
>
>> How do you do 'em?
>>
>> nb

> nb,
>
> A long time ago it was raw alfalfa sprouts as a sandwich filler until
> reports
> of some kind of bacteria contamination surfaced. I forget which.

E. coli?

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> How do you do 'em?
>
> nb

I'll give you the full instructions that come with the envelopes of seeds .
, . you can do as you wish.
This measurement is for Mung sprouts specifically. The instructions are
general.
Mung Sprouting
Dry seed - 1/4 cup = 1 quart
Measure seeds and cover with a solution of one part bleach to nine parts
water. Soak for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse thoroughly with clean water.
Place seeds in sterile wide mouth jar. Add lukewarm water to equal four
times the amount of seed used. Cover with the proper screen. Soak
overnight maintaining temperature of 65 to 75F. Next morning rinse with
warm water by holding jar under faucet. After rinsing, prop jar at angle
with screen facing down to allow for drainage and ventilation. Rinse
sprouts 2 to 4 times a day. Hulls are not harmful but can be removed by
using the larger screen top. Swirl jar under running faucet until the jar
overflows and hulls are flushed over the top. Drain well. Continue rinse
cycle until harvest. To remove seed coats from larger seeds, place sprouts
in pan of water after final rinse. Stir gently and remove seed coats when
they float to the surface. Store sprouts in refrigerator for up to a week.
To freshen sprouts rinse with cold water and drain.

MY NOTE: My thought is that the bleach rinse cycle is to eliminate any
seed-born contamination
HTH
The common type of sprouting device alluded to here is a quart jar that
comes with 3 different size plastic screen jar lids.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> How do you do 'em?
>
> nb

You roll them into a ball then use the ball of sprouts to shoot vegans with
a slingshot.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2009-02-11, merryb > wrote:
>
>> What do you mean? I wasn't trying to be a smartass or anything...

> "In a jar" Yeah, that's informative. Where do I get the seeds? How big a
> jar? Jes put seeds in jar and wait? Water? Temps? Light? I got creole
> spices in a jar. They ain't sprouted. :|

You can buy mung beans in a lot of grocery stores, health food stores or
bulk stores. I tried sprouting my own years ago but gave up because by
it takes a few days fro them to sprout and I was never organized enough
to arrange for a stir fry that far ahead. It was easier to buy them
fresh and ready to go right away.

As I recall, you soak then and leave them on a damp paper towel and keep
it wet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2009-02-11, merryb > wrote:
>
>> What do you mean? I wasn't trying to be a smartass or anything...

> "In a jar" Yeah, that's informative. Where do I get the seeds? How
> big a jar? Jes put seeds in jar and wait? Water? Temps? Light? I
> got creole spices in a jar. They ain't sprouted. :|
>
> nb

You can get a variety of sprouts from most of the larger seed catalogs.
Some catalogs also sell sprouting devices. I get my seeds here.
http://www.jungseed.com/
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> That aside, who doesn't know the sulfur aroma of overdone Brussels
> sprouts!?!
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

They smell like...sprouts, cabbage, kale and broccoli.
Luckily they taste better than they smell.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> How do you do 'em?

Easy peasy. My favorites are lentils, but I've sprouted just about every
seed you can think of.

1) Take the seeds (make sure they're not sprayed -- either buy 'em in a
food store, or choose organic in the seed store) and put them in a mason
jar with, in place of the normal canning rig, either cheesecloth, clean
pantyhose, or thin cloth on top (or you can buy one of those green
plastic mesh lids that replaces the whole canning lid, but I don't
bother). (I use a tablespoon of small seeds like alfalfa, and up to 1/4
cup of big ones like garbanzos. Somewhere in between for lentils, etc.)

2) Rinse the seeds and drain out all the water, but leave the seeds wet.
I just put the jar kinda-upside-down in a bowl on the counter. That way,
I remember to rinse them twice a day.

3) Rinse and drain them twice a day. After rinsing, I kinda move the
jar around until a lot of the seeds/sprouts are adhering to the sides of
the jar, so they have plenty of room.

4) In a few days, you have sprouts. If they have big hulls, you can
rinse those off before storing.

There's a decent primer at
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohor...9/426-419.html

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 19:55:43 -0700, Gloria P wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>>
>> That aside, who doesn't know the sulfur aroma of overdone Brussels
>> sprouts!?!
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Andy

> They smell like...sprouts, cabbage, kale and broccoli. Luckily they
> taste better than they smell.
>
> gloria p

If done, they smell, and if overdone they stink. Like all cabbage.
So cook (steam) them less than done, keeping them al dente. 10 minutes,
for sprouts smaller than 1 inch diameter. Avoid the bigger ones. The
smaller the better. Here in France the small ones are hard to get. In
Holland we eat the small ones, which are common there.

--
Groet, salut, Wim.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:

> How do you do 'em?

You don't. They are culinarily useless except in
Chung King Chop Suey.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:

> On 2009-02-11, Andy > wrote:
>>
>> A long time ago it was raw alfalfa sprouts as a sandwich filler.....

> I remember that. Still some places in CA that do it. I never liked it.
>
> I want to know the best way to grow mung and soy sprouts for stir fry and my
> monster thai soup. I can't get anything even remotely resembling fresh
> sprouts around here. Pre-bagged and old is the usual.

Use [Tiger] lilly buds instead. Mung and soy sprouts are useless.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 21:39:09 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> notbob > wrote:
>
>> How do you do 'em?

> You don't. They are culinarily useless except in Chung King Chop Suey.
>
> -sw

Not at all, the sprouts, Taoge in Indonesian, of the mung beans, or Kacang
Hidjau, green beans, are very tasty in salads, and spring rolls. And in
Chop Suey, of course. They are best if raw. They are slightly bitter, if
raw, and you should like that, like endive. If heated the bitternes goes
away, as does the crunchyness.

--
Groet, Salut, Wim.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>notbob > wrote:
>
>> How do you do 'em?

>You don't. They are culinarily useless except in
>Chung King Chop Suey.

Kidding, right? (I've misplace the rfc manual)
--
modom

ambitious when it comes to fiddling with meat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I just bring them to the boil and simmer till tender.

--
mompeagram
FERGUS/HARLINGEN
"notbob" > wrote in message
> How do you do 'em?
>
> nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 18:17:10 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> notbob wrote:
>> How do you do 'em?

> Brussells Sprouts, bean spouts, wheat sprouts???

boy sprouts.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 23:40:41 GMT, notbob wrote:

> On 2009-02-11, merryb > wrote:
>
>> What do you mean? I wasn't trying to be a smartass or anything...

> "In a jar" Yeah, that's informative. Where do I get the seeds? How big a
> jar? Jes put seeds in jar and wait? Water? Temps? Light? I got creole
> spices in a jar. They ain't sprouted. :|
>
> nb

they got this newfangled thing called 'google' now...

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 21:39:09 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> notbob > wrote:
>
>> How do you do 'em?

> You don't. They are culinarily useless except in
> Chung King Chop Suey.
>
> -sw

i don't have much use for them either.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 6:40 pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2009-02-11, merryb > wrote:
>
> > What do you mean? I wasn't trying to be a smartass or anything...

> "In a jar" Yeah, that's informative. Where do I get the seeds? How big a
> jar? Jes put seeds in jar and wait? Water? Temps? Light? I got creole
> spices in a jar. They ain't sprouted. :|
>
> nb

Janet's advice is good.

Get mung bean seeds from your friendly local Asian market (both
southeast and southwest Asian markets will generally have them.)

I use an old quart mayonnaise jar with a plastic lid. I've drilled a
bunch of (less than the size of mung bean seed) holes in the lid to
make a strainer/drainer. I let the seeds germinate in water at room
temperature for a couple of days, changing the water in the morning
and evening until I see them splitting, then drain them and let the
jar rest on its side on the countertop under a towel (to keep out the
light), rinsing morning and evening, until the thing is stuffed with
sprouts. I've read that ~1/3 cup (as opposed to Janet's 1/4 cup) is
"better" because the sprouts grow better when they're more tightly
packed, but I can't give you any references about that - it's just
what I do and it seems to work fine.

I like them in fresh spring rolls, deep-fried egg rolls, on salads,
and in stir-fries (added right at the end, of course). My only
problem is that a quart of the things generally goes bad before I can
use them all up. But they're not expensive.

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-02-12, > wrote:

> Janet's advice is good.
>
> Get mung bean seeds from your friendly local Asian market (both
> southeast and southwest Asian markets will generally have them.)
>
> I use an old quart mayonnaise jar with a plastic lid. I've drilled a
> bunch of (less than the size of mung bean seed) holes in the lid to
> make a strainer/drainer. I let the seeds germinate in water at room
> temperature for a couple of days, changing the water in the morning
> and evening until I see them splitting, then drain them and let the
> jar rest on its side on the countertop under a towel (to keep out the
> light), rinsing morning and evening, until the thing is stuffed with
> sprouts. I've read that ~1/3 cup (as opposed to Janet's 1/4 cup) is
> "better" because the sprouts grow better when they're more tightly
> packed, but I can't give you any references about that - it's just
> what I do and it seems to work fine.
>
> I like them in fresh spring rolls, deep-fried egg rolls, on salads,
> and in stir-fries (added right at the end, of course). My only
> problem is that a quart of the things generally goes bad before I can
> use them all up. But they're not expensive.
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

Thanks for the information, Silvar. It's the kind of hands on info I was
hoping to get. I love stir-fried mung sprouts and use soy sprouts in a Thai
soup I make. I also use sprouts in salads. Fresh sprouts are great.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 7:40*am, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 23:40:41 GMT, notbob wrote:
> > On 2009-02-11, merryb > wrote:

> >> What do you mean? I wasn't trying to be a smartass or anything...

> > "In a jar" *Yeah, that's informative. *Where do I get the seeds? *How big a
> > jar? *Jes put seeds in jar and wait? *Water? Temps? Light? *I got creole
> > spices in a jar. *They ain't sprouted. *:|

> > nb

> they got this newfangled thing called 'google' now...
>
> your pal,
> blake

That's what I was going to say, but didn't want to be a smartass again!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 12 Feb 2009 08:43:21a, told us...

> On Feb 11, 6:40 pm, notbob > wrote:
>> On 2009-02-11, merryb > wrote:
>>
>> > What do you mean? I wasn't trying to be a smartass or anything...

>> "In a jar" Yeah, that's informative. Where do I get the seeds? How
>> big a jar? Jes put seeds in jar and wait? Water? Temps? Light? I got
>> creole spices in a jar. They ain't sprouted. :|
>>
>> nb

> Janet's advice is good.
>
> Get mung bean seeds from your friendly local Asian market (both
> southeast and southwest Asian markets will generally have them.)
>
> I use an old quart mayonnaise jar with a plastic lid. I've drilled a
> bunch of (less than the size of mung bean seed) holes in the lid to
> make a strainer/drainer. I let the seeds germinate in water at room
> temperature for a couple of days, changing the water in the morning
> and evening until I see them splitting, then drain them and let the
> jar rest on its side on the countertop under a towel (to keep out the
> light), rinsing morning and evening, until the thing is stuffed with
> sprouts. I've read that ~1/3 cup (as opposed to Janet's 1/4 cup) is
> "better" because the sprouts grow better when they're more tightly
> packed, but I can't give you any references about that - it's just
> what I do and it seems to work fine.
>
> I like them in fresh spring rolls, deep-fried egg rolls, on salads,
> and in stir-fries (added right at the end, of course). My only
> problem is that a quart of the things generally goes bad before I can
> use them all up. But they're not expensive.
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

I had several very successful attempts at sprouting mung beans years ago,
but also had a hell of a time ridding them of the bean hulls afterwards. Is
there a secret?

--
Wayne Boatwright
e-mail to wayneboatwright at gmail dot com
Date: Thursday, 02(II)/12(XII)/09(MMIX)
Today is: Lincoln's Birthday
Countdown till President's Day
3dys 14hrs 16mins
Which way to Castle Anthrax?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-02-12, merryb > wrote:

> That's what I was going to say, but didn't want to be a smartass again!

I appreciate it. Blake can't help himself.

I know full well how google works and even have a book on sprouts, but
wanted to hear the kind of personal experience I got from Silvar. Besides,
if everyone turned to google and didn't ask questions, here, what would be the
point of rfc.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> How do you do 'em?
>
> nb

I buy 'em from the grossery store...
--
Peace! Om

"Criminals thrive on the indulgence of societies understanding."

-- From "Batman Begins"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 11:46 am, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> I had several very successful attempts at sprouting mung beans years ago,
> but also had a hell of a time ridding them of the bean hulls afterwards. Is
> there a secret?

If you grab a handful of sprouts from your sprouter, you can shake
them semi-violently in a large bowl of cold water and most of the
hulls will come off. Or you can just stir them around in the water
and most of the hulls will float to the surface, where they can be
skimmed off.

I only do this for salads, where the sprouts have a distinct
presence. For egg-rolls and stir-fries, I just live with hulls in the
mixture. They do soften up and seem to "disappear" into the dish.
YMMV, of course.

--
Silvar Beitel

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 12 Feb 2009 10:40:57a, told us...

> On Feb 12, 11:46 am, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> I had several very successful attempts at sprouting mung beans years

ago,
>> but also had a hell of a time ridding them of the bean hulls afterwards.
>> Is there a secret?

> If you grab a handful of sprouts from your sprouter, you can shake
> them semi-violently in a large bowl of cold water and most of the
> hulls will come off. Or you can just stir them around in the water
> and most of the hulls will float to the surface, where they can be
> skimmed off.
>
> I only do this for salads, where the sprouts have a distinct
> presence. For egg-rolls and stir-fries, I just live with hulls in the
> mixture. They do soften up and seem to "disappear" into the dish.
> YMMV, of course.
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

Stirring them around in a bowl of water didn't work too well for me, but I
will try shaking them as you also suggested.

Thanks!

Date: Thursday, 02(II)/12(XII)/09(MMIX)
Today is: Lincoln's Birthday
Countdown till President's Day
3dys 13hrs 18mins
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:26:58 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2009-02-12, merryb > wrote:
>
>> That's what I was going to say, but didn't want to be a smartass again!

>I appreciate it. Blake can't help himself.
>
>I know full well how google works and even have a book on sprouts, but
>wanted to hear the kind of personal experience I got from Silvar. Besides,
>if everyone turned to google and didn't ask questions, here, what would be the
>point of rfc.

It also prods us to learn things we normally wouldn't seek out. I
can't even tell you how many times dinner is inspired by something
I've read here in the morning that I'd never have thought of on my
own. I made pancakes last week because people here were talking about
them. We haven't had them in a year and wouldn't have made them
without the thread.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> notbob > wrote:
>
>> How do you do 'em?
>>
>> nb

> I buy 'em from the grossery store...
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> "Criminals thrive on the indulgence of societies understanding."
>
> -- From "Batman Begins"

I use an automatic sprouter, all I do is rotate the trays and fill the
compartment with water once a day. Great sprouts. Here is a link.
http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/easygreensprouter.htm

Elly

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jj jj is offline

I use quart glass jars and regular metal lids. I put in roughly a 1/4
cup of dried beans, fill the jar about a 1/3 with water and soak
overnight. Then I drain the water, fill about 1/2, swirl and drain.
Then I put the lid on the jar but don't turn or tighten it - the
sprouts need air. If you live in a high humidity place, you may not
need the lid. I do a rinse/drain every morning.

I start a new jar everyday and usually use the 3 or 4th jar. The
sprouts are not as long as the store bought but I don't care. I also
don't take any special steps to remove hulls. I usually cook the
sprouts and give the jar a sniff test before using so I haven't had
any tummy upset problems. I also wash each jar, with a bottle brush
to get any biofilm buildup after I've eaten that batch of sprouts.

I'd figure if you go longer than 4-5 days, the possibility of hulls or
"dead" beans rotting increases.

I've had great sucess with plain old grocery store lentils and mung
beans for ~$1 a pound. The stuff specifically for sprouting seems to
be way overpriced. <cough> ripoff <cough>

I have not had sucess with soy bean sprouting with the jars but other
beans from the same batch have grown when planted. Anyone out there
sprout soy beans at home regularly?

This process is temperature dependent so it goes faster in the Summer
but then that is also when I've had some batches go bad if I left just
a bit too much water in the jar or if there were some "dead" beans
that didn't sprout and went mushy/rancid.

I've done home sprouting on and off for years. I think most grocery
store sprouts are way overpriced and often unclean. The 99 Ranch
market in my town has reasonably priced, clean soybean sprouts but
it's kind of a haul (~20 miles) and also out of the way for me
otherwise I'd eat the soy sprouts all the time. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 9:26*am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2009-02-12, merryb > wrote:
>
> > That's what I was going to say, but didn't want to be a smartass again!

> I appreciate it. *Blake can't help himself. *
>
> I know full well how google works and even have a book on sprouts, but
> wanted to hear the kind of personal experience I got from Silvar. *Besides,
> if everyone turned to google and didn't ask questions, here, what would be the
> point of rfc.
>
> nb

Understood, but that's also part of Blake's charm

Brussels sprouts Nick Cramer Diabetic 3 07-01-2010 03:16 AM
The sprouts were a hit! Julie Bove Diabetic 0 03-03-2006 07:51 AM