Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] silverbeetle@net1plus.com is offline

Default Sprouts

On Feb 12, 11:46 am, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> I had several very successful attempts at sprouting mung beans years ago,
> but also had a hell of a time ridding them of the bean hulls afterwards. Is
> there a secret?

If you grab a handful of sprouts from your sprouter, you can shake
them semi-violently in a large bowl of cold water and most of the
hulls will come off. Or you can just stir them around in the water
and most of the hulls will float to the surface, where they can be
skimmed off.

I only do this for salads, where the sprouts have a distinct
presence. For egg-rolls and stir-fries, I just live with hulls in the
mixture. They do soften up and seem to "disappear" into the dish.
YMMV, of course.

--
Silvar Beitel