Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sprouts

On Thu 12 Feb 2009 10:40:57a, told us...

> On Feb 12, 11:46 am, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> I had several very successful attempts at sprouting mung beans years

ago,
>> but also had a hell of a time ridding them of the bean hulls afterwards.
>> Is there a secret?

> If you grab a handful of sprouts from your sprouter, you can shake
> them semi-violently in a large bowl of cold water and most of the
> hulls will come off. Or you can just stir them around in the water
> and most of the hulls will float to the surface, where they can be
> skimmed off.
>
> I only do this for salads, where the sprouts have a distinct
> presence. For egg-rolls and stir-fries, I just live with hulls in the
> mixture. They do soften up and seem to "disappear" into the dish.
> YMMV, of course.
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

Stirring them around in a bowl of water didn't work too well for me, but I
will try shaking them as you also suggested.

Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright
e-mail to wayneboatwright at gmail dot com
Date: Thursday, 02(II)/12(XII)/09(MMIX)
Today is: Lincoln's Birthday
Countdown till President's Day
3dys 13hrs 18mins
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.