Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] silverbeetle@net1plus.com is offline

Default Sprouts

On Feb 11, 6:40 pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2009-02-11, merryb > wrote:
>
> > What do you mean? I wasn't trying to be a smartass or anything...

> "In a jar" Yeah, that's informative. Where do I get the seeds? How big a
> jar? Jes put seeds in jar and wait? Water? Temps? Light? I got creole
> spices in a jar. They ain't sprouted. :|
>
> nb

Janet's advice is good.

Get mung bean seeds from your friendly local Asian market (both
southeast and southwest Asian markets will generally have them.)

I use an old quart mayonnaise jar with a plastic lid. I've drilled a
bunch of (less than the size of mung bean seed) holes in the lid to
make a strainer/drainer. I let the seeds germinate in water at room
temperature for a couple of days, changing the water in the morning
and evening until I see them splitting, then drain them and let the
jar rest on its side on the countertop under a towel (to keep out the
light), rinsing morning and evening, until the thing is stuffed with
sprouts. I've read that ~1/3 cup (as opposed to Janet's 1/4 cup) is
"better" because the sprouts grow better when they're more tightly
packed, but I can't give you any references about that - it's just
what I do and it seems to work fine.

I like them in fresh spring rolls, deep-fried egg rolls, on salads,
and in stir-fries (added right at the end, of course). My only
problem is that a quart of the things generally goes bad before I can
use them all up. But they're not expensive.

--
Silvar Beitel