Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Brussels sprouts

New Year's Eve, I had a lovely dinner of Brussels sprouts, bacon, garlic
and onions. The next morning, my FBG was 60! Do Brussels sprouts lower your
BG? Thanks.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> New Year's Eve, I had a lovely dinner of Brussels sprouts, bacon,
> garlic and onions. The next morning, my FBG was 60! Do Brussels
> sprouts lower your BG? Thanks.

Dunno, but low carb will

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> New Year's Eve, I had a lovely dinner of Brussels sprouts, bacon, garlic
> and onions. The next morning, my FBG was 60! Do Brussels sprouts lower your
> BG? Thanks.

Small study on Rats.

Bill

"Data of this study suggest that dietary Baechu kimchi has some
antidiabetic effects even when fed with a HF-containing diet. Better
results are possible if it is consumed with normal or low-fat rather
than HF-containing diet."

J Med Food. 2009 Apr;12(2):292-7.
Antidiabetic effect of Korean traditional Baechu (Chinese cabbage)
kimchi in a type 2 diabetes model of rats.
Islam MS, Choi H.
Department of Food and Nutrition, Seoul National University, Seoul,
Republic of Korea.
The present study was conducted to examine the antidiabetic effects of
two dietary dosages (0.5% and 2.0%) of freeze-dried Korean traditional
Baechu (Chinese cabbage) kimchi in a high-fat (HF) diet-fed,
streptozotocin (STZ)-induced type 2 diabetes (T2D) rat model.
Five-week-old male Sprague-Dawley rats were fed HF diet for 2 weeks and
then randomly divided into four groups of eight animals: normal control
(NC), diabetic control (DBC), kimchi low (KML) (0.5%), and kimchi high
(KMH) (2.0%) groups. Diabetes was induced by an intraperitoneal
injection of STZ (40 mg/kg of body weight) in all groups except the NC
group. After 4 weeks of feeding of experimental diets, serum insulin
concentrations and Homeostatic Model Assessment pancreatic beta-cell
function were increased and blood glycated hemoglobin was decreased in
the kimchi-fed groups compared to the DBC group, while a significant (P
< .05) difference was observed only in the KMH group for serum insulin
concentration. Lower fasting blood glucose and better glucose tolerance
were observed in the KMH group compared to the DBC and KML groups;
however, differences were not significant. Food intake, body weight
gain, Homeostatic Model Assessment insulin resistance index, and serum
lipid profiles were not significantly influenced by kimchi-containing
diets. Data of this study suggest that dietary Baechu kimchi has some
antidiabetic effects even when fed with a HF-containing diet. Better
results are possible if it is consumed with normal or low-fat rather
than HF-containing diet.
PMID: 19459728 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/757.html What is Global Dimming??
Less light more shade world wide food implications
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bill who putters > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
> > New Year's Eve, I had a lovely dinner of Brussels sprouts, bacon,
> > garlic and onions. The next morning, my FBG was 60! Do Brussels sprouts
> > lower your BG? Thanks.

> Small study on Rats.
>
> Bill
>
> "Data of this study suggest that dietary Baechu kimchi has some
> antidiabetic effects even when fed with a HF-containing diet. Better
> results are possible if it is consumed with normal or low-fat rather
> than HF-containing diet."

[ . . . ]

Thanks, Bill. I love kimchi, but never thought of using Brussels sprouts
instead of cabbage. Might work in sauerkraut, too! That'll be first.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061