Posted to rec.food.cooking
jj jj is offline

Default Sprouts

I use quart glass jars and regular metal lids. I put in roughly a 1/4
cup of dried beans, fill the jar about a 1/3 with water and soak
overnight. Then I drain the water, fill about 1/2, swirl and drain.
Then I put the lid on the jar but don't turn or tighten it - the
sprouts need air. If you live in a high humidity place, you may not
need the lid. I do a rinse/drain every morning.

I start a new jar everyday and usually use the 3 or 4th jar. The
sprouts are not as long as the store bought but I don't care. I also
don't take any special steps to remove hulls. I usually cook the
sprouts and give the jar a sniff test before using so I haven't had
any tummy upset problems. I also wash each jar, with a bottle brush
to get any biofilm buildup after I've eaten that batch of sprouts.

I'd figure if you go longer than 4-5 days, the possibility of hulls or
"dead" beans rotting increases.

I've had great sucess with plain old grocery store lentils and mung
beans for ~$1 a pound. The stuff specifically for sprouting seems to
be way overpriced. <cough> ripoff <cough>

I have not had sucess with soy bean sprouting with the jars but other
beans from the same batch have grown when planted. Anyone out there
sprout soy beans at home regularly?

This process is temperature dependent so it goes faster in the Summer
but then that is also when I've had some batches go bad if I left just
a bit too much water in the jar or if there were some "dead" beans
that didn't sprout and went mushy/rancid.

I've done home sprouting on and off for years. I think most grocery
store sprouts are way overpriced and often unclean. The 99 Ranch
market in my town has reasonably priced, clean soybean sprouts but
it's kind of a haul (~20 miles) and also out of the way for me
otherwise I'd eat the soy sprouts all the time. :-)