Old 26-09-2013, 09:27 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What cereal to eat for Breakfast?

"Karen" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 01:16:23 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"I Don't Know" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 22:24:26 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Those juice boxes can be darned hard to get into. Angela couldn't do
them
until she was old enough to not want them any more and I always
struggle
with them.

So much of the packaging these days is very hard to open even for
adults.
It's very frustrating, and I wonder why people put up with it. :-)

Cheri

How hard is it to poke a straw through a thin piece of foil in the top
of the box?

Very. First you have to get the straw unwrapped. And many were the times
that I couldn't do that without involving scissors. Then you have to hope
you get a good straw. Can't tell you how many defective ones I had that
broke or bent while trying to insert. Then you have to hope that you
don't
accidentally squeeze the box while inserting or you'll have a mess! The
worst are the Capri Sun.

I have to agree. The Capri Suns had very tiny thin straws that would
bend easily, and yes, if you squeezed the box you ended up getting
sprayed with the juice drink. Capri Sun is actually not juice. It is
a juice drink with the first ingredient being water and the second
ingredient high fructose corn syrup.

I think some of the Capri Sun is 100% juice but I could be wrong. Not
something I ever bought.

Old 26-09-2013, 10:21 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 13:27:31 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

[...]

You were the one who said the Capri Sun was the worst. I assumed you
were speaking from experience. How else would you have formed that
opinion? I agreed with you on the issue about the straws.
Old 26-09-2013, 10:40 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 13:27:31 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

[...]

I believe she means that she never bought the *Capri Sun 100% juice*, even
though she thinks there might be such a thing, at least that's how I see it.

Cheri

Old 27-09-2013, 04:05 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
: "Karen" wrote in message
:
[...]

I do not think your interpretation is at all clear formthewording. It is a
possible,but not sonly interpretation.

Wendy

Old 27-09-2013, 06:06 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Cheri wrote:
: "Karen" wrote in message
:
[...]

OK...so did you notice that I said "that's how I see it" and not "that's the
only inerpretation" and I think my wording is quite clear. shrug

Cheri

Old 27-09-2013, 07:20 AM posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 14:07:59 -0500, BessieBee
wrote:

On 9/25/2013 10:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

Julie, you're the *last* person on this group who should be commenting
on what is "more popular" for kids' breakfasts. He's grown now, but
when my son was in school his breakfast was cereal sometimes, scrambled
eggs sometimes and occasionally a nicely toasted frozen waffle with real
syrup. This was always accompanied with a glass of milk. After eating
his breakfast he'd usually take a poptart or something with him to eat
on the way to the bus stop.

And, school provided breakfasts weren't only for the poor. Our son ate
his breakfast at school for about a year when his father's and my work
schedules made breakfast at home next to impossible. We paid for those
breakfasts, although I believe those kids that qualified got theirs
free. Those breakfasts consisted of cereal, milk, juice and sometimes
they could also choose a doughnut.

It's all a matter of scheduling. "taking the time to eat a bowl of
cereal" is only a matter of getting the kid(s) up in time. I can't
think of a time when we *ever* had cereal for dinner. A late night
snack perhaps, but certainly not dinner!

It would depend on where you are in the country. My co-workers have
told me that they have had a hard time getting their wives not to let
their kids eat the same way they (the wives) did when they were kids.
Which was sugary cereals for breakfast, snacks basically any time of
the day or night, because they are cheap in this area. There is a
very large variety of off brand cereals here that come in huge plastic
bags, not boxes, kind of like the over sized bags of pre-popped
popcorn some stores sell. You could spend a few dollars per box on
capn crunch or get 6 times the amount for an off brand that tastes
almost the same and spend less.

I've never allowed that junk in my home. Or rather I've never allowed
us to buy it. When it shows it, it's because someone spending the
night or weekend with us brought it with them.

Personally I love going to breakfast buffets on the weekend so we
don't have to cook and clean up. We don't do it all the time but it
is a nice change. It always amazes me to a family come in, get their
table and watch the adults get mountains of potatoes, bacon and
sausage, pancakes etc. While the kids will go straight to the desert
bar and get cotton candy and other junk. Sometimes the kids actually
eat real food with the candy.

Old 27-09-2013, 07:53 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 13:27:31 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

[...]

Because I am around children. Currently at the dance studio and in the
past, I volunteered at Angela's school. I have had to help kids with their
food and drinks whether I wanted to or not. I would always cringe when they
needed help with the drink.

Old 27-09-2013, 08:00 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

[...]

Correct! I rarely buy any kind of single serve products like that although
I do have to buy the juice boxes once in a while for possible hypos. I do
also buy the bottles of Diet V8 Splash and Cranberry juices. Also tomato
and V8 type things for meatloaf and soup. I also buy sugar free powdered
drinks on occasion so I do go down that aisle. I think I have seen some
Capri Sun labeled as 100% Juice but I wasn't paying a lot of attention. I
will attempt to look it up now though to see. Yep! Sure enough they do
have 100% juice.

http://www.kraftbrands.com/CaprisunM...varieties.aspx

Old 27-09-2013, 08:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message

: I believe she means that she never bought the *Capri Sun 100% juice*,
even
: though she thinks there might be such a thing, at least that's how I see
it.

: Cheri

I do not think your interpretation is at all clear formthewording. It is a
possible,but not sonly interpretation.

That is twice now (recently anyway) where Cheri knew exactly what I meant.
Perhaps I should just let her speak for me. When I say it, somebody always
twists it into something else.

Old 27-09-2013, 08:03 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message

OK...so did you notice that I said "that's how I see it" and not "that's
the only inerpretation" and I think my wording is quite clear. shrug

Indeed! I don't know what it is with people here. Some of them can be
rather touchy. Heck, food and drink are two of my interests. I like to
read about cocktails and liquor from time to time too even though I don't
drink.

Old 27-09-2013, 08:48 AM posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

Mrs. Bee is in my KF now but I don't know why she thinks I should be the
last person to comment on this. Does she think I never see kids? Our house
is very near the elementary school bus stop. I see what those kids are
eating. And they use our trees out front as a waste deposit for their
wrappers on the way to the bus. That would be the older kids. Thank
goodness the Capri Sun person has now graduated!

I am also in contact with lots of kids and their parents at the dance
studio. There are lots of kids there and they now take them as young as age
2. Since food and cooking are hobbies of mine, I often strike up a
conversation with people about food! There is also a grocery store in that
strip mall so people often run down there while their kids are in class.
And they are often buying breakfast foods. So I see what they are buying.

I do think that what people eat depends perhaps on their income and on where
they live in this country. I don't think overall that people are big cereal
eaters here. At least not for breakfast but I do know that people have told
me they have eaten it or given it to their kids for dinner. Heck, people
post this to Facebook all the time!

It is common here for kids to have cereal as a snack in the form of trail
mix. The scouts often do this as a project. Each person brings in
something. Cereal, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, etc. Then they combine it all
for a snack mix.

I have seen people posting on the coupon forum about stockpiling cheap or
free cereal. And I have seen people at Winco counting out their pennies to
buy a bed pillow sized bag of cereal (usually sugary) and a case of Ramen.
I do feel sorry for those people because it is probably all they can afford
to eat.

But I do think overall in this part of the country, people try to eat more
healthy foods. There is such a big push for organic that nearly every store
sells it now. Winco is even getting some organic stuff because the
customers demanded it. Most all of the Supermarkets have a health food
section and they all have gluten free things. Many of the restaurants (even
the expensive ones) have labels on their menu as to things that are
vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, etc.

It was true culture shock to me to move from CA to NY where the food was so
different. CA is in many ways much the same as here when it comes to food.
In NY, I found that I had to lower my standards quite a bit and make do with
things I wouldn't ordinarily make. Italian food was everywhere but I
couldn't find the Mexican ingredients I was used to cooking with. Yes, the
commissary in Brooklyn had some of that stuff but... In general the
commissary is not where I would prefer to shop. We didn't have much choice
though because we just couldn't afford much food otherwise. I also stocked
up on food when we went to PA because not only was it cheaper but there was
actually far more variety there than what I could get in NY. Keep in mind
that we did live on Staten Island so what you could get in the city proper
could have been different. I never shopped there.

When we moved back to WA and I first went into an Albertsons, I remember
just standing there in the produce section and turning around slowly, taking
it all in. I was kind of like... Oh yeah! This is what food should BE!

I do think we are fortunate here in WA. Sure there are probably some things
we can't get here. But so much is available to us and we have so many
healthy options pretty much everywhere.

I have friends in TX and am sometimes mortified when they tell me of things
they have eaten in a restaurant. Like chili cheese fries. And that is not
their dinner. That is a starter. Sure, I think some places here have that
on the menu. Probably chain places. I just prefer not to dine at those
sorts of places. Mind you I am not saying that all Texans eat that way. My
now deceased diabetic friend did not. But I sure do know some who do.

Old 27-09-2013, 10:26 AM posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 00:48:29 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

So there is no real reason for you to comment further.
Old 27-09-2013, 10:38 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

[...]

Somehow I am not surprised.

Old 27-09-2013, 11:22 AM posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

So is at least one iteration of the "name shifter" you are responding to
now.

now but I don't know why she thinks I should be the
last person to comment on this. Does she think I never see kids? Our
house is very near the elementary school bus stop. I see what those
kids are eating. And they use our trees out front as a waste deposit
for their wrappers on the way to the bus. That would be the older
kids. Thank goodness the Capri Sun person has now graduated!

I am also in contact with lots of kids and their parents at the dance
studio. There are lots of kids there and they now take them as young as
age 2. Since food and cooking are hobbies of mine,

With me food is not just a hobby: *I* do it for a living :-)
And I do it like they do chicken at KFC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QJGJ-DUCEQ

[...]

Bull. They are just Walmartians on the move:
http://tinyurl.com/kl2q5lp

They are everywhere these days.