Posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
I Don't Know I Don't Know is offline

Default What cereal to eat for Breakfast?

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 14:07:59 -0500, BessieBee
> wrote:

>On 9/25/2013 10:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>

>Julie, you're the *last* person on this group who should be commenting
>on what is "more popular" for kids' breakfasts. He's grown now, but
>when my son was in school his breakfast was cereal sometimes, scrambled
>eggs sometimes and occasionally a nicely toasted frozen waffle with real
>syrup. This was always accompanied with a glass of milk. After eating
>his breakfast he'd usually take a poptart or something with him to eat
>on the way to the bus stop.
>
>And, school provided breakfasts weren't only for the poor. Our son ate
>his breakfast at school for about a year when his father's and my work
>schedules made breakfast at home next to impossible. We paid for those
>breakfasts, although I believe those kids that qualified got theirs
>free. Those breakfasts consisted of cereal, milk, juice and sometimes
>they could also choose a doughnut.
>
>It's all a matter of scheduling. "taking the time to eat a bowl of
>cereal" is only a matter of getting the kid(s) up in time. I can't
>think of a time when we *ever* had cereal for dinner. A late night
>snack perhaps, but certainly not dinner!

It would depend on where you are in the country. My co-workers have
told me that they have had a hard time getting their wives not to let
their kids eat the same way they (the wives) did when they were kids.
Which was sugary cereals for breakfast, snacks basically any time of
the day or night, because they are cheap in this area. There is a
very large variety of off brand cereals here that come in huge plastic
bags, not boxes, kind of like the over sized bags of pre-popped
popcorn some stores sell. You could spend a few dollars per box on
capn crunch or get 6 times the amount for an off brand that tastes
almost the same and spend less.

I've never allowed that junk in my home. Or rather I've never allowed
us to buy it. When it shows it, it's because someone spending the
night or weekend with us brought it with them.

Personally I love going to breakfast buffets on the weekend so we
don't have to cook and clean up. We don't do it all the time but it
is a nice change. It always amazes me to a family come in, get their
table and watch the adults get mountains of potatoes, bacon and
sausage, pancakes etc. While the kids will go straight to the desert
bar and get cotton candy and other junk. Sometimes the kids actually
eat real food with the candy.