Old 26-09-2013, 12:38 AM posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

Default What cereal to eat for Breakfast?

In alt.support.diabetes Maya Zuiderweg $no_spam#[email protected]_me_dot_com#maps_on$ wrote:

: I remember my brother eating that: cereals with milk, also a special
: type of cereal, I bet that was a sweet kind. No wonder one gets fat.

: Here a typical breakfast is 2 slices of bread with a very thin slice of
: cheese *or* ham on top, accompanied by tea, sometimes coffee.

: M. Most children here in the US on school days will eat a some juice, a
bowl of cerea and milk and , maybe some milk o drink. Mornings in the US
are surried on school days like in most partsof the world. Cereal in
placeofsoem toast is not a big difference. the big eggs, cereal, or
pancakes with syrup , etc breakfasts would be a weekend kind of treat.
The large breakfast was from the days when so many were farmers and was
not eaten on arising, but after utting in a few early hours milking the
cows, mucking out the barn, etc so a big a ppetite was worked up. There
is some carry ove, but not on working or school days for most peope .
some kids get breakfast in school adn that is a small container of Orange
juice, a small box of cereal, 8 oz of milk and, sometime a half or whole
small banana. Often they don't drink the juice. when my sone was in
kindergarten, the teacher used to get the unopened left over juice form
the cafeteria and the little ones had a mid-morning snack.

Wendy

Old 26-09-2013, 12:45 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message

some kids get breakfast in school adn that is a small container of Orange
juice, a small box of cereal, 8 oz of milk and, sometime a half or whole

That is not the breakfast they get in school here in CA. Also, I believe
that for this school year, all kids get a free breakfast no matter what the
financial situation. Here there are about 3 choices for breakfast, including
breakfast pizza, a breakfast sausage cheese muffin, very seldomly cereal,
but always milk and sometimes juice.

Cheri

Old 26-09-2013, 02:47 AM posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker stelde dit idée voor :
In alt.support.diabetes Maya Zuiderweg
$no_spam#[email protected]_me_dot_com#maps_on$ wrote:

I remember my brother eating that: cereals with milk, also a special
type of cereal, I bet that was a sweet kind. No wonder one gets fat.

Here a typical breakfast is 2 slices of bread with a very thin slice of
cheese *or* ham on top, accompanied by tea, sometimes coffee.

M. Most children here in the US on school days will eat a some juice, a

bowl of cerea and milk and , maybe some milk o drink. Mornings in the US
are surried on school days like in most partsof the world. Cereal in
placeofsoem toast is not a big difference. the big eggs, cereal, or
pancakes with syrup , etc breakfasts would be a weekend kind of treat.

The typical weekend treat would be a boiled egg to go with the slices
of bread.

The large breakfast was from the days when so many were farmers and was
not eaten on arising, but after utting in a few early hours milking the
cows, mucking out the barn, etc so a big a ppetite was worked up. There
is some carry ove, but not on working or school days for most peope .

My grandparents were farmers, we used to visit them for a weeks once a
year. Ryebread with cheese, lots of tea was always for breakfast.

On the occasion that family visited them grandpa would slaughter a
chicken, which was crazy for a kid: a running chicken without a head!
The chicken was for soup, for all the days that we were visiting.
I dont have to mention that they were kind of poor, do I?

some kids get breakfast in school adn that is a small container of Orange
juice, a small box of cereal, 8 oz of milk and, sometime a half or whole
small banana.

A school-breakfast was never common here. One ate at home.

Old 26-09-2013, 04:56 AM posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
[...]

Actually much more popular than cereal for kids would be some kind of
prepacked thing. A granola bar, Nutrigrain bar, Poptart or similar. I
don't know of too many kids who would take the time to eat a bowl of cereal
then. Much more common to be eaten at dinner. At least here.

Angela eats some cereal now but rarely for breakfast. Although she was
eating whole wheat bagels for a while, she switched to baby carrots and
cheese. Now she has aerobics at 7:20 each morning and that teacher is
pushing the carbs big time. She told the parents not to let them diet and
to give them lots of food, lots of carbs and whatever they wanted to eat. I
was like... Are you freaking kidding me? Now she eats toast with some
sunbutter and all fruit spread most mornings. Sometimes a yogurt or a piece
of cheese instead.

Old 26-09-2013, 04:58 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"W. Baker" wrote in message

some kids get breakfast in school adn that is a small container of Orange
juice, a small box of cereal, 8 oz of milk and, sometime a half or whole

That is not the breakfast they get in school here in CA. Also, I believe
that for this school year, all kids get a free breakfast no matter what
the financial situation. Here there are about 3 choices for breakfast,
including breakfast pizza, a breakfast sausage cheese muffin, very
seldomly cereal, but always milk and sometimes juice.

Breakfast was free for all in NY but it was not healthy fare at all. They
actually had donuts and Angela said that the fruit was not fresh. There was
juice and milk.

I'm not entirely sure what it is now at the schools here since it is only
available to low income which we are not. But the schools said they were
going no sugar and low fat this year.

Old 26-09-2013, 05:16 AM posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"Maya Zuiderweg" $no_spam#[email protected]_me_dot_com#maps_on$ wrote in
message news
W. Baker stelde dit idée voor :
In alt.support.diabetes Maya Zuiderweg
$no_spam#[email protected]_me_dot_com#maps_on$ wrote:

I remember my brother eating that: cereals with milk, also a special
type of cereal, I bet that was a sweet kind. No wonder one gets fat.

Here a typical breakfast is 2 slices of bread with a very thin slice of
cheese *or* ham on top, accompanied by tea, sometimes coffee.

M. Most children here in the US on school days will eat a some juice, a

bowl of cerea and milk and , maybe some milk o drink. Mornings in the US
are surried on school days like in most partsof the world. Cereal in
placeofsoem toast is not a big difference. the big eggs, cereal, or
pancakes with syrup , etc breakfasts would be a weekend kind of treat.

The typical weekend treat would be a boiled egg to go with the slices of
bread.

We never had a weekend treat type of breakfast unless you count the stale
donuts on Sunday as treats. I do not. More like torture. My dad went
through a phase of making waffles but it was short lived because they never
came out right. And we sure as heck never had treat breakfasts here. In
fact I rarely ever cook anything for breakfast. I used to boil eggs a dozen
at a time but none of us are big egg eaters. I would make something on
Christmas morning and perhaps New Years though. Like a breakfast casserole.

The large breakfast was from the days when so many were farmers and was
not eaten on arising, but after utting in a few early hours milking the
cows, mucking out the barn, etc so a big a ppetite was worked up. There
is some carry ove, but not on working or school days for most peope .

My grandparents were farmers, we used to visit them for a weeks once a
year. Ryebread with cheese, lots of tea was always for breakfast.

My grandparents were farmers too. No big breakfast there. They did feed me
some kind of chocolate cereal that I did not like.

On the occasion that family visited them grandpa would slaughter a
chicken, which was crazy for a kid: a running chicken without a head!
The chicken was for soup, for all the days that we were visiting.
I dont have to mention that they were kind of poor, do I?

I do remember the chicken thing. My grandparents were also poor. They did
have homemade butter and baked goods. And if there was meat, it was
stretched to the max. A pound of ground beef could feed the family all
week. My grandma didn't like to cook much so would make a huge pot of
something and we'd eat that all week for dinner. But there were always tons
of vegetables, either fresh during the summer or canned during the winter.
She did love to bake and always had tons of sweets. And she liked cheap
Mexican food so would often take my cousin and I to some place to get it. It
was little more than a shack and they sold it to go. I can't remember what
all they had but there were burritos because I can remember her ordering one
and the way she pronounced it make me cringe. She said it like byurr
(rhymed with purr).

some kids get breakfast in school adn that is a small container of Orange
juice, a small box of cereal, 8 oz of milk and, sometime a half or whole
small banana.

A school-breakfast was never common here. One ate at home.

It's common here only for the poor because there are so many kids who would
get no food otherwise. They get a free breakfast and a free or reduced
lunch. That may be their only food for the day. It has become such a
terrible problem that the schools are open now during the summer to give the
kids food. Alas, there is generally just one school per district with the
meals so if the kid lives too far away to walk there, they might still not
get it. And the teachers are buying things like granola bars on their own.
They tell the kids if they are hungry to please ask for food. In past years
they have asked for parents to donate some kind of healthy, shelf stable
food.

In some areas (not that I know of here), people put together backpacks of
food to get these kids through the weekend. I have seen things on TV and in
magazines about that. They send home backpacks full of food. The financial
sitution of many here is getting worse and worse. My friend said that the
city of Seattle is raising rents to astronomical prices. Both her son and
his ex got the red on their apartments raised $200 a month and neither can
afford to pay it.

Often they don't drink the juice. when my sone was in kindergarten, the
teacher used to get the unopened left over juice form the cafeteria and
the little ones had a mid-morning snack.

Those juice boxes can be darned hard to get into. Angela couldn't do them
until she was old enough to not want them any more and I always struggle
with them.

Old 26-09-2013, 06:21 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message
"W. Baker" wrote in message

[...]

I didn't say it was healthy, just that there are choices and it's free for
this year here. There is seldom any kind of cereal, but always things like a
danish, milk, a McMuffin type of breakfast sandwich, breakfast pizza etc.

Cheri

Old 26-09-2013, 06:24 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Those juice boxes can be darned hard to get into. Angela couldn't do them
until she was old enough to not want them any more and I always struggle
with them.

So much of the packaging these days is very hard to open even for adults.
It's very frustrating, and I wonder why people put up with it. :-)

Cheri

Old 26-09-2013, 07:28 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 22:24:26 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Those juice boxes can be darned hard to get into. Angela couldn't do them
until she was old enough to not want them any more and I always struggle
with them.

So much of the packaging these days is very hard to open even for adults.
It's very frustrating, and I wonder why people put up with it. :-)

Cheri

How hard is it to poke a straw through a thin piece of foil in the top
of the box?

Old 26-09-2013, 09:12 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message

I didn't say it was healthy, just that there are choices and it's free for
this year here. There is seldom any kind of cereal, but always things like
a danish, milk, a McMuffin type of breakfast sandwich, breakfast pizza
etc.

When I was a kid it was always a sweet roll and milk. I only know this
because I worked in the kitchen. Kids didn't drink juice in those days like
they seem to now.

Old 26-09-2013, 09:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Those juice boxes can be darned hard to get into. Angela couldn't do
them until she was old enough to not want them any more and I always
struggle with them.

So much of the packaging these days is very hard to open even for adults.
It's very frustrating, and I wonder why people put up with it. :-)

Indeed! I had to write to that one company about their boxed gravy which
they no longer seem to be making. At least I can't find it anywhere. Sad
because it's one of the few turkey broths with no dairy or chicken in it. I
couldn't open it so they told me how. Made no sense either. Pop off a
piece of plastic then push in the other piece of plastic with a knife.
Anyway it netted me a bunch of coupons. Some high value and others for free
product.

Old 26-09-2013, 09:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

news
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Those juice boxes can be darned hard to get into. Angela couldn't do
them
until she was old enough to not want them any more and I always struggle
with them.

So much of the packaging these days is very hard to open even for adults.
It's very frustrating, and I wonder why people put up with it. :-)

Cheri

How hard is it to poke a straw through a thin piece of foil in the top
of the box?

Very. First you have to get the straw unwrapped. And many were the times
that I couldn't do that without involving scissors. Then you have to hope
you get a good straw. Can't tell you how many defective ones I had that
broke or bent while trying to insert. Then you have to hope that you don't
accidentally squeeze the box while inserting or you'll have a mess! The
worst are the Capri Sun.

Old 26-09-2013, 05:05 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

news
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Those juice boxes can be darned hard to get into. Angela couldn't do
them
until she was old enough to not want them any more and I always struggle
with them.

So much of the packaging these days is very hard to open even for adults.
It's very frustrating, and I wonder why people put up with it. :-)

Cheri

How hard is it to poke a straw through a thin piece of foil in the top
of the box?

I'm not really talking about juice boxes, though some of them with the foil
tab aren't all that easy to poke a straw through either since they're
reinforced.

Cheri

Old 26-09-2013, 07:55 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 01:16:23 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

news
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

[...]

I have to agree. The Capri Suns had very tiny thin straws that would
bend easily, and yes, if you squeezed the box you ended up getting
sprayed with the juice drink. Capri Sun is actually not juice. It is
a juice drink with the first ingredient being water and the second
ingredient high fructose corn syrup.
Old 26-09-2013, 08:07 PM posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

On 9/25/2013 10:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

Actually much more popular than cereal for kids would be some kind of
prepacked thing. A granola bar, Nutrigrain bar, Poptart or similar. I
don't know of too many kids who would take the time to eat a bowl of
cereal then. Much more common to be eaten at dinner. At least here.

Julie, you're the *last* person on this group who should be commenting
on what is "more popular" for kids' breakfasts. He's grown now, but
when my son was in school his breakfast was cereal sometimes, scrambled
eggs sometimes and occasionally a nicely toasted frozen waffle with real
syrup. This was always accompanied with a glass of milk. After eating
his breakfast he'd usually take a poptart or something with him to eat
on the way to the bus stop.

And, school provided breakfasts weren't only for the poor. Our son ate
his breakfast at school for about a year when his father's and my work
schedules made breakfast at home next to impossible. We paid for those
breakfasts, although I believe those kids that qualified got theirs
free. Those breakfasts consisted of cereal, milk, juice and sometimes
they could also choose a doughnut.

It's all a matter of scheduling. "taking the time to eat a bowl of
cereal" is only a matter of getting the kid(s) up in time. I can't
think of a time when we *ever* had cereal for dinner. A late night
snack perhaps, but certainly not dinner!

--
BessieBee

DON'T LOSE YOUR HEAD
TO GAIN A MINUTE