Posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

Default What cereal to eat for Breakfast?

In alt.support.diabetes Maya Zuiderweg <$no_spam#ma_dot_zuiderweg_@_me_dot_com#maps_on$ > wrote:

: I remember my brother eating that: cereals with milk, also a special
: type of cereal, I bet that was a sweet kind. No wonder one gets fat.

: Here a typical breakfast is 2 slices of bread with a very thin slice of
: cheese *or* ham on top, accompanied by tea, sometimes coffee.

: M. Most children here in the US on school days will eat a some juice, a
bowl of cerea and milk and , maybe some milk o drink. Mornings in the US
are surried on school days like in most partsof the world. Cereal in
placeofsoem toast is not a big difference. the big eggs, cereal, or
pancakes with syrup , etc breakfasts would be a weekend kind of treat.
The large breakfast was from the days when so many were farmers and was
not eaten on arising, but after utting in a few early hours milking the
cows, mucking out the barn, etc so a big a ppetite was worked up. There
is some carry ove, but not on working or school days for most peope .
some kids get breakfast in school adn that is a small container of Orange
juice, a small box of cereal, 8 oz of milk and, sometime a half or whole
small banana. Often they don't drink the juice. when my sone was in
kindergarten, the teacher used to get the unopened left over juice form
the cafeteria and the little ones had a mid-morning snack.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message

> some kids get breakfast in school adn that is a small container of Orange
> juice, a small box of cereal, 8 oz of milk and, sometime a half or whole

That is not the breakfast they get in school here in CA. Also, I believe
that for this school year, all kids get a free breakfast no matter what the
financial situation. Here there are about 3 choices for breakfast, including
breakfast pizza, a breakfast sausage cheese muffin, very seldomly cereal,
but always milk and sometimes juice.

Cheri

Posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker stelde dit idée voor :
> In alt.support.diabetes Maya Zuiderweg
> <$no_spam#ma_dot_zuiderweg_@_me_dot_com#maps_on$ > wrote:
>
>> I remember my brother eating that: cereals with milk, also a special
>> type of cereal, I bet that was a sweet kind. No wonder one gets fat.

>> Here a typical breakfast is 2 slices of bread with a very thin slice of
>> cheese *or* ham on top, accompanied by tea, sometimes coffee.

>> M. Most children here in the US on school days will eat a some juice, a

> bowl of cerea and milk and , maybe some milk o drink. Mornings in the US
> are surried on school days like in most partsof the world. Cereal in
> placeofsoem toast is not a big difference. the big eggs, cereal, or
> pancakes with syrup , etc breakfasts would be a weekend kind of treat.

The typical weekend treat would be a boiled egg to go with the slices
of bread.

> The large breakfast was from the days when so many were farmers and was
> not eaten on arising, but after utting in a few early hours milking the
> cows, mucking out the barn, etc so a big a ppetite was worked up. There
> is some carry ove, but not on working or school days for most peope .

My grandparents were farmers, we used to visit them for a weeks once a
year. Ryebread with cheese, lots of tea was always for breakfast.

On the occasion that family visited them grandpa would slaughter a
chicken, which was crazy for a kid: a running chicken without a head!
The chicken was for soup, for all the days that we were visiting.
I dont have to mention that they were kind of poor, do I?

> some kids get breakfast in school adn that is a small container of Orange
> juice, a small box of cereal, 8 oz of milk and, sometime a half or whole
> small banana.

A school-breakfast was never common here. One ate at home.

> Often they don't drink the juice. when my sone was in
> kindergarten, the teacher used to get the unopened left over juice form
> the cafeteria and the little ones had a mid-morning snack.
>
> Wendy

Posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> In alt.support.diabetes Maya Zuiderweg
> <$no_spam#ma_dot_zuiderweg_@_me_dot_com#maps_on$ > wrote:
>
> : I remember my brother eating that: cereals with milk, also a special
> : type of cereal, I bet that was a sweet kind. No wonder one gets fat.
>
> : Here a typical breakfast is 2 slices of bread with a very thin slice of
> : cheese *or* ham on top, accompanied by tea, sometimes coffee.
>
> : M. Most children here in the US on school days will eat a some juice, a
> bowl of cerea and milk and , maybe some milk o drink. Mornings in the US
> are surried on school days like in most partsof the world. Cereal in
> placeofsoem toast is not a big difference. the big eggs, cereal, or
> pancakes with syrup , etc breakfasts would be a weekend kind of treat.
> The large breakfast was from the days when so many were farmers and was
> not eaten on arising, but after utting in a few early hours milking the
> cows, mucking out the barn, etc so a big a ppetite was worked up. There
> is some carry ove, but not on working or school days for most peope .
> some kids get breakfast in school adn that is a small container of Orange
> juice, a small box of cereal, 8 oz of milk and, sometime a half or whole
> small banana. Often they don't drink the juice. when my sone was in
> kindergarten, the teacher used to get the unopened left over juice form
> the cafeteria and the little ones had a mid-morning snack.
>
> Wendy

Actually much more popular than cereal for kids would be some kind of
prepacked thing. A granola bar, Nutrigrain bar, Poptart or similar. I
don't know of too many kids who would take the time to eat a bowl of cereal
then. Much more common to be eaten at dinner. At least here.

Angela eats some cereal now but rarely for breakfast. Although she was
eating whole wheat bagels for a while, she switched to baby carrots and
cheese. Now she has aerobics at 7:20 each morning and that teacher is
pushing the carbs big time. She told the parents not to let them diet and
to give them lots of food, lots of carbs and whatever they wanted to eat. I
was like... Are you freaking kidding me? Now she eats toast with some
sunbutter and all fruit spread most mornings. Sometimes a yogurt or a piece
of cheese instead.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>
>> some kids get breakfast in school adn that is a small container of Orange
>> juice, a small box of cereal, 8 oz of milk and, sometime a half or whole

> That is not the breakfast they get in school here in CA. Also, I believe
> that for this school year, all kids get a free breakfast no matter what
> the financial situation. Here there are about 3 choices for breakfast,
> including breakfast pizza, a breakfast sausage cheese muffin, very
> seldomly cereal, but always milk and sometimes juice.

Breakfast was free for all in NY but it was not healthy fare at all. They
actually had donuts and Angela said that the fruit was not fresh. There was
juice and milk.

I'm not entirely sure what it is now at the schools here since it is only
available to low income which we are not. But the schools said they were
going no sugar and low fat this year.

Posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"Maya Zuiderweg" <$no_spam#ma_dot_zuiderweg_@_me_dot_com#maps_on$ > wrote in
message news
> W. Baker stelde dit idée voor :
>> In alt.support.diabetes Maya Zuiderweg
>> <$no_spam#ma_dot_zuiderweg_@_me_dot_com#maps_on$ > wrote:
>>
>>> I remember my brother eating that: cereals with milk, also a special
>>> type of cereal, I bet that was a sweet kind. No wonder one gets fat.

>>> Here a typical breakfast is 2 slices of bread with a very thin slice of
>>> cheese *or* ham on top, accompanied by tea, sometimes coffee.

>>> M. Most children here in the US on school days will eat a some juice, a

>> bowl of cerea and milk and , maybe some milk o drink. Mornings in the US
>> are surried on school days like in most partsof the world. Cereal in
>> placeofsoem toast is not a big difference. the big eggs, cereal, or
>> pancakes with syrup , etc breakfasts would be a weekend kind of treat.

> The typical weekend treat would be a boiled egg to go with the slices of
> bread.

We never had a weekend treat type of breakfast unless you count the stale
donuts on Sunday as treats. I do not. More like torture. My dad went
through a phase of making waffles but it was short lived because they never
came out right. And we sure as heck never had treat breakfasts here. In
fact I rarely ever cook anything for breakfast. I used to boil eggs a dozen
at a time but none of us are big egg eaters. I would make something on
Christmas morning and perhaps New Years though. Like a breakfast casserole.

>> The large breakfast was from the days when so many were farmers and was
>> not eaten on arising, but after utting in a few early hours milking the
>> cows, mucking out the barn, etc so a big a ppetite was worked up. There
>> is some carry ove, but not on working or school days for most peope .

> My grandparents were farmers, we used to visit them for a weeks once a
> year. Ryebread with cheese, lots of tea was always for breakfast.

My grandparents were farmers too. No big breakfast there. They did feed me
some kind of chocolate cereal that I did not like.

> On the occasion that family visited them grandpa would slaughter a
> chicken, which was crazy for a kid: a running chicken without a head!
> The chicken was for soup, for all the days that we were visiting.
> I dont have to mention that they were kind of poor, do I?

I do remember the chicken thing. My grandparents were also poor. They did
have homemade butter and baked goods. And if there was meat, it was
stretched to the max. A pound of ground beef could feed the family all
week. My grandma didn't like to cook much so would make a huge pot of
something and we'd eat that all week for dinner. But there were always tons
of vegetables, either fresh during the summer or canned during the winter.
She did love to bake and always had tons of sweets. And she liked cheap
Mexican food so would often take my cousin and I to some place to get it. It
was little more than a shack and they sold it to go. I can't remember what
all they had but there were burritos because I can remember her ordering one
and the way she pronounced it make me cringe. She said it like byurr
(rhymed with purr).

>> some kids get breakfast in school adn that is a small container of Orange
>> juice, a small box of cereal, 8 oz of milk and, sometime a half or whole
>> small banana.

> A school-breakfast was never common here. One ate at home.

It's common here only for the poor because there are so many kids who would
get no food otherwise. They get a free breakfast and a free or reduced
lunch. That may be their only food for the day. It has become such a
terrible problem that the schools are open now during the summer to give the
kids food. Alas, there is generally just one school per district with the
meals so if the kid lives too far away to walk there, they might still not
get it. And the teachers are buying things like granola bars on their own.
They tell the kids if they are hungry to please ask for food. In past years
they have asked for parents to donate some kind of healthy, shelf stable
food.

In some areas (not that I know of here), people put together backpacks of
food to get these kids through the weekend. I have seen things on TV and in
magazines about that. They send home backpacks full of food. The financial
sitution of many here is getting worse and worse. My friend said that the
city of Seattle is raising rents to astronomical prices. Both her son and
his ex got the red on their apartments raised $200 a month and neither can
afford to pay it.

>> Often they don't drink the juice. when my sone was in kindergarten, the
>> teacher used to get the unopened left over juice form the cafeteria and
>> the little ones had a mid-morning snack.

Those juice boxes can be darned hard to get into. Angela couldn't do them
until she was old enough to not want them any more and I always struggle
with them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>>
>>> some kids get breakfast in school adn that is a small container of
>>> Orange
>>> juice, a small box of cereal, 8 oz of milk and, sometime a half or whole

>> That is not the breakfast they get in school here in CA. Also, I believe
>> that for this school year, all kids get a free breakfast no matter what
>> the financial situation. Here there are about 3 choices for breakfast,
>> including breakfast pizza, a breakfast sausage cheese muffin, very
>> seldomly cereal, but always milk and sometimes juice.

> Breakfast was free for all in NY but it was not healthy fare at all. They
> actually had donuts and Angela said that the fruit was not fresh. There
> was juice and milk.
>
> I'm not entirely sure what it is now at the schools here since it is only
> available to low income which we are not. But the schools said they were
> going no sugar and low fat this year.

I didn't say it was healthy, just that there are choices and it's free for
this year here. There is seldom any kind of cereal, but always things like a
danish, milk, a McMuffin type of breakfast sandwich, breakfast pizza etc.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> Those juice boxes can be darned hard to get into. Angela couldn't do them
> until she was old enough to not want them any more and I always struggle
> with them.

So much of the packaging these days is very hard to open even for adults.
It's very frustrating, and I wonder why people put up with it. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 22:24:26 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> Those juice boxes can be darned hard to get into. Angela couldn't do them
>> until she was old enough to not want them any more and I always struggle
>> with them.

>So much of the packaging these days is very hard to open even for adults.
>It's very frustrating, and I wonder why people put up with it. :-)
>
>Cheri

How hard is it to poke a straw through a thin piece of foil in the top
of the box?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> I didn't say it was healthy, just that there are choices and it's free for
> this year here. There is seldom any kind of cereal, but always things like
> a danish, milk, a McMuffin type of breakfast sandwich, breakfast pizza
> etc.

When I was a kid it was always a sweet roll and milk. I only know this
because I worked in the kitchen. Kids didn't drink juice in those days like
they seem to now.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> Those juice boxes can be darned hard to get into. Angela couldn't do
>> them until she was old enough to not want them any more and I always
>> struggle with them.

> So much of the packaging these days is very hard to open even for adults.
> It's very frustrating, and I wonder why people put up with it. :-)

Indeed! I had to write to that one company about their boxed gravy which
they no longer seem to be making. At least I can't find it anywhere. Sad
because it's one of the few turkey broths with no dairy or chicken in it. I
couldn't open it so they told me how. Made no sense either. Pop off a
piece of plastic then push in the other piece of plastic with a knife.
Anyway it netted me a bunch of coupons. Some high value and others for free
product.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"I Don't Know" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 22:24:26 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Those juice boxes can be darned hard to get into. Angela couldn't do
>>> them
>>> until she was old enough to not want them any more and I always struggle
>>> with them.

>>So much of the packaging these days is very hard to open even for adults.
>>It's very frustrating, and I wonder why people put up with it. :-)
>>
>>Cheri

> How hard is it to poke a straw through a thin piece of foil in the top
> of the box?

Very. First you have to get the straw unwrapped. And many were the times
that I couldn't do that without involving scissors. Then you have to hope
you get a good straw. Can't tell you how many defective ones I had that
broke or bent while trying to insert. Then you have to hope that you don't
accidentally squeeze the box while inserting or you'll have a mess! The
worst are the Capri Sun.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"I Don't Know" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 22:24:26 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Those juice boxes can be darned hard to get into. Angela couldn't do
>>> them
>>> until she was old enough to not want them any more and I always struggle
>>> with them.

>>So much of the packaging these days is very hard to open even for adults.
>>It's very frustrating, and I wonder why people put up with it. :-)
>>
>>Cheri

> How hard is it to poke a straw through a thin piece of foil in the top
> of the box?

I'm not really talking about juice boxes, though some of them with the foil
tab aren't all that easy to poke a straw through either since they're
reinforced.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 01:16:23 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"I Don't Know" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 22:24:26 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>So much of the packaging these days is very hard to open even for adults.
>>>It's very frustrating, and I wonder why people put up with it. :-)
>>>
>>>Cheri

>> How hard is it to poke a straw through a thin piece of foil in the top
>> of the box?

>Very. First you have to get the straw unwrapped. And many were the times
>that I couldn't do that without involving scissors. Then you have to hope
>you get a good straw. Can't tell you how many defective ones I had that
>broke or bent while trying to insert. Then you have to hope that you don't
>accidentally squeeze the box while inserting or you'll have a mess! The
>worst are the Capri Sun.

I have to agree. The Capri Suns had very tiny thin straws that would
bend easily, and yes, if you squeezed the box you ended up getting
sprayed with the juice drink. Capri Sun is actually not juice. It is
a juice drink with the first ingredient being water and the second
ingredient high fructose corn syrup.
Posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

On 9/25/2013 10:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Actually much more popular than cereal for kids would be some kind of
> prepacked thing. A granola bar, Nutrigrain bar, Poptart or similar. I
> don't know of too many kids who would take the time to eat a bowl of
> cereal then. Much more common to be eaten at dinner. At least here.

Julie, you're the *last* person on this group who should be commenting
on what is "more popular" for kids' breakfasts. He's grown now, but
when my son was in school his breakfast was cereal sometimes, scrambled
eggs sometimes and occasionally a nicely toasted frozen waffle with real
syrup. This was always accompanied with a glass of milk. After eating
his breakfast he'd usually take a poptart or something with him to eat
on the way to the bus stop.

And, school provided breakfasts weren't only for the poor. Our son ate
his breakfast at school for about a year when his father's and my work
schedules made breakfast at home next to impossible. We paid for those
breakfasts, although I believe those kids that qualified got theirs
free. Those breakfasts consisted of cereal, milk, juice and sometimes
they could also choose a doughnut.

It's all a matter of scheduling. "taking the time to eat a bowl of
cereal" is only a matter of getting the kid(s) up in time. I can't
think of a time when we *ever* had cereal for dinner. A late night
snack perhaps, but certainly not dinner!

--
BessieBee

DON'T LOSE YOUR HEAD
TO GAIN A MINUTE
YOU NEED YOUR HEAD
YOUR BRAINS ARE IN IT
Burma Shave

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 01:16:23 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"I Don't Know" > wrote in message
>>news

>>> How hard is it to poke a straw through a thin piece of foil in the top
>>> of the box?

>>Very. First you have to get the straw unwrapped. And many were the times
>>that I couldn't do that without involving scissors. Then you have to hope
>>you get a good straw. Can't tell you how many defective ones I had that
>>broke or bent while trying to insert. Then you have to hope that you
>>don't
>>accidentally squeeze the box while inserting or you'll have a mess! The
>>worst are the Capri Sun.

> I have to agree. The Capri Suns had very tiny thin straws that would
> bend easily, and yes, if you squeezed the box you ended up getting
> sprayed with the juice drink. Capri Sun is actually not juice. It is
> a juice drink with the first ingredient being water and the second
> ingredient high fructose corn syrup.

I think some of the Capri Sun is 100% juice but I could be wrong. Not
something I ever bought.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 13:27:31 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Karen" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 01:16:23 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>"I Don't Know" > wrote in message
>>>news >>>> On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 22:24:26 -0700, "Cheri" >

>>>Very. First you have to get the straw unwrapped. And many were the times
>>>that I couldn't do that without involving scissors. Then you have to hope
>>>you get a good straw. Can't tell you how many defective ones I had that
>>>broke or bent while trying to insert. Then you have to hope that you
>>>don't
>>>accidentally squeeze the box while inserting or you'll have a mess! The
>>>worst are the Capri Sun.

>> I have to agree. The Capri Suns had very tiny thin straws that would
>> bend easily, and yes, if you squeezed the box you ended up getting
>> sprayed with the juice drink. Capri Sun is actually not juice. It is
>> a juice drink with the first ingredient being water and the second
>> ingredient high fructose corn syrup.

>I think some of the Capri Sun is 100% juice but I could be wrong. Not
>something I ever bought.

You were the one who said the Capri Sun was the worst. I assumed you
were speaking from experience. How else would you have formed that
opinion? I agreed with you on the issue about the straws.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 13:27:31 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Karen" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 01:16:23 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"

>>> I have to agree. The Capri Suns had very tiny thin straws that would
>>> bend easily, and yes, if you squeezed the box you ended up getting
>>> sprayed with the juice drink. Capri Sun is actually not juice. It is
>>> a juice drink with the first ingredient being water and the second
>>> ingredient high fructose corn syrup.

>>I think some of the Capri Sun is 100% juice but I could be wrong. Not
>>something I ever bought.

> You were the one who said the Capri Sun was the worst. I assumed you
> were speaking from experience. How else would you have formed that
> opinion? I agreed with you on the issue about the straws.

I believe she means that she never bought the *Capri Sun 100% juice*, even
though she thinks there might be such a thing, at least that's how I see it.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri > wrote:
: "Karen" > wrote in message
: >>>
: >>> I have to agree. The Capri Suns had very tiny thin straws that would
: >>> bend easily, and yes, if you squeezed the box you ended up getting
: >>> sprayed with the juice drink. Capri Sun is actually not juice. It is
: >>> a juice drink with the first ingredient being water and the second
: >>> ingredient high fructose corn syrup.
: >>
: >>I think some of the Capri Sun is 100% juice but I could be wrong. Not
: >>something I ever bought.
: >
: > You were the one who said the Capri Sun was the worst. I assumed you
: > were speaking from experience. How else would you have formed that
: > opinion? I agreed with you on the issue about the straws.

: I believe she means that she never bought the *Capri Sun 100% juice*, even
: though she thinks there might be such a thing, at least that's how I see it.

: Cheri

I do not think your interpretation is at all clear formthewording. It is a
possible,but not sonly interpretation.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Cheri > wrote:
> : "Karen" > wrote in message
> : >>>
> : >>> I have to agree. The Capri Suns had very tiny thin straws that
> would
> : >>> bend easily, and yes, if you squeezed the box you ended up getting
> : >>> sprayed with the juice drink. Capri Sun is actually not juice. It
> is
> : >>> a juice drink with the first ingredient being water and the second
> : >>> ingredient high fructose corn syrup.
> : >>
> : >>I think some of the Capri Sun is 100% juice but I could be wrong. Not
> : >>something I ever bought.
> : >
> : > You were the one who said the Capri Sun was the worst. I assumed you
> : > were speaking from experience. How else would you have formed that
> : > opinion? I agreed with you on the issue about the straws.
>

> : I believe she means that she never bought the *Capri Sun 100% juice*,
> even
> : though she thinks there might be such a thing, at least that's how I see
> it.
>
> : Cheri
>
> I do not think your interpretation is at all clear formthewording. It is a
> possible,but not sonly interpretation.
>
> Wendy

OK...so did you notice that I said "that's how I see it" and not "that's the
only inerpretation" and I think my wording is quite clear. <shrug>

Cheri

Posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 14:07:59 -0500, BessieBee
> wrote:

>On 9/25/2013 10:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>

>Julie, you're the *last* person on this group who should be commenting
>on what is "more popular" for kids' breakfasts. He's grown now, but
>when my son was in school his breakfast was cereal sometimes, scrambled
>eggs sometimes and occasionally a nicely toasted frozen waffle with real
>syrup. This was always accompanied with a glass of milk. After eating
>his breakfast he'd usually take a poptart or something with him to eat
>on the way to the bus stop.
>
>And, school provided breakfasts weren't only for the poor. Our son ate
>his breakfast at school for about a year when his father's and my work
>schedules made breakfast at home next to impossible. We paid for those
>breakfasts, although I believe those kids that qualified got theirs
>free. Those breakfasts consisted of cereal, milk, juice and sometimes
>they could also choose a doughnut.
>
>It's all a matter of scheduling. "taking the time to eat a bowl of
>cereal" is only a matter of getting the kid(s) up in time. I can't
>think of a time when we *ever* had cereal for dinner. A late night
>snack perhaps, but certainly not dinner!

It would depend on where you are in the country. My co-workers have
told me that they have had a hard time getting their wives not to let
their kids eat the same way they (the wives) did when they were kids.
Which was sugary cereals for breakfast, snacks basically any time of
the day or night, because they are cheap in this area. There is a
very large variety of off brand cereals here that come in huge plastic
bags, not boxes, kind of like the over sized bags of pre-popped
popcorn some stores sell. You could spend a few dollars per box on
capn crunch or get 6 times the amount for an off brand that tastes
almost the same and spend less.

I've never allowed that junk in my home. Or rather I've never allowed
us to buy it. When it shows it, it's because someone spending the
night or weekend with us brought it with them.

Personally I love going to breakfast buffets on the weekend so we
don't have to cook and clean up. We don't do it all the time but it
is a nice change. It always amazes me to a family come in, get their
table and watch the adults get mountains of potatoes, bacon and
sausage, pancakes etc. While the kids will go straight to the desert
bar and get cotton candy and other junk. Sometimes the kids actually
eat real food with the candy.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 13:27:31 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Karen" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 01:16:23 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"

>>> I have to agree. The Capri Suns had very tiny thin straws that would
>>> bend easily, and yes, if you squeezed the box you ended up getting
>>> sprayed with the juice drink. Capri Sun is actually not juice. It is
>>> a juice drink with the first ingredient being water and the second
>>> ingredient high fructose corn syrup.

>>I think some of the Capri Sun is 100% juice but I could be wrong. Not
>>something I ever bought.

> You were the one who said the Capri Sun was the worst. I assumed you
> were speaking from experience. How else would you have formed that
> opinion? I agreed with you on the issue about the straws.

Because I am around children. Currently at the dance studio and in the
past, I volunteered at Angela's school. I have had to help kids with their
food and drinks whether I wanted to or not. I would always cringe when they
needed help with the drink.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Karen" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 13:27:31 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>I think some of the Capri Sun is 100% juice but I could be wrong. Not
>>>something I ever bought.

>> You were the one who said the Capri Sun was the worst. I assumed you
>> were speaking from experience. How else would you have formed that
>> opinion? I agreed with you on the issue about the straws.

> I believe she means that she never bought the *Capri Sun 100% juice*, even
> though she thinks there might be such a thing, at least that's how I see
> it.

Correct! I rarely buy any kind of single serve products like that although
I do have to buy the juice boxes once in a while for possible hypos. I do
also buy the bottles of Diet V8 Splash and Cranberry juices. Also tomato
and V8 type things for meatloaf and soup. I also buy sugar free powdered
drinks on occasion so I do go down that aisle. I think I have seen some
Capri Sun labeled as 100% Juice but I wasn't paying a lot of attention. I
will attempt to look it up now though to see. Yep! Sure enough they do
have 100% juice.

http://www.kraftbrands.com/CaprisunM...varieties.aspx

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message

> : I believe she means that she never bought the *Capri Sun 100% juice*,
> even
> : though she thinks there might be such a thing, at least that's how I see
> it.
>
> : Cheri
>
> I do not think your interpretation is at all clear formthewording. It is a
> possible,but not sonly interpretation.

That is twice now (recently anyway) where Cheri knew exactly what I meant.
Perhaps I should just let her speak for me. When I say it, somebody always
twists it into something else.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> OK...so did you notice that I said "that's how I see it" and not "that's
> the only inerpretation" and I think my wording is quite clear. <shrug>

Indeed! I don't know what it is with people here. Some of them can be
rather touchy. Heck, food and drink are two of my interests. I like to
read about cocktails and liquor from time to time too even though I don't
drink.

Posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"I Don't Know" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 14:07:59 -0500, BessieBee
> > wrote:
>
>>On 9/25/2013 10:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>>Julie, you're the *last* person on this group who should be commenting
>>on what is "more popular" for kids' breakfasts. He's grown now, but
>>when my son was in school his breakfast was cereal sometimes, scrambled
>>eggs sometimes and occasionally a nicely toasted frozen waffle with real
>>syrup. This was always accompanied with a glass of milk. After eating
>>his breakfast he'd usually take a poptart or something with him to eat
>>on the way to the bus stop.
>>
>>And, school provided breakfasts weren't only for the poor. Our son ate
>>his breakfast at school for about a year when his father's and my work
>>schedules made breakfast at home next to impossible. We paid for those
>>breakfasts, although I believe those kids that qualified got theirs
>>free. Those breakfasts consisted of cereal, milk, juice and sometimes
>>they could also choose a doughnut.
>>
>>It's all a matter of scheduling. "taking the time to eat a bowl of
>>cereal" is only a matter of getting the kid(s) up in time. I can't
>>think of a time when we *ever* had cereal for dinner. A late night
>>snack perhaps, but certainly not dinner!

> It would depend on where you are in the country. My co-workers have
> told me that they have had a hard time getting their wives not to let
> their kids eat the same way they (the wives) did when they were kids.
> Which was sugary cereals for breakfast, snacks basically any time of
> the day or night, because they are cheap in this area. There is a
> very large variety of off brand cereals here that come in huge plastic
> bags, not boxes, kind of like the over sized bags of pre-popped
> popcorn some stores sell. You could spend a few dollars per box on
> capn crunch or get 6 times the amount for an off brand that tastes
> almost the same and spend less.
>
> I've never allowed that junk in my home. Or rather I've never allowed
> us to buy it. When it shows it, it's because someone spending the
> night or weekend with us brought it with them.
>
> Personally I love going to breakfast buffets on the weekend so we
> don't have to cook and clean up. We don't do it all the time but it
> is a nice change. It always amazes me to a family come in, get their
> table and watch the adults get mountains of potatoes, bacon and
> sausage, pancakes etc. While the kids will go straight to the desert
> bar and get cotton candy and other junk. Sometimes the kids actually
> eat real food with the candy.

Mrs. Bee is in my KF now but I don't know why she thinks I should be the
last person to comment on this. Does she think I never see kids? Our house
is very near the elementary school bus stop. I see what those kids are
eating. And they use our trees out front as a waste deposit for their
wrappers on the way to the bus. That would be the older kids. Thank
goodness the Capri Sun person has now graduated!

I am also in contact with lots of kids and their parents at the dance
studio. There are lots of kids there and they now take them as young as age
2. Since food and cooking are hobbies of mine, I often strike up a
conversation with people about food! There is also a grocery store in that
strip mall so people often run down there while their kids are in class.
And they are often buying breakfast foods. So I see what they are buying.

I do think that what people eat depends perhaps on their income and on where
they live in this country. I don't think overall that people are big cereal
eaters here. At least not for breakfast but I do know that people have told
me they have eaten it or given it to their kids for dinner. Heck, people
post this to Facebook all the time!

It is common here for kids to have cereal as a snack in the form of trail
mix. The scouts often do this as a project. Each person brings in
something. Cereal, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, etc. Then they combine it all
for a snack mix.

I have seen people posting on the coupon forum about stockpiling cheap or
free cereal. And I have seen people at Winco counting out their pennies to
buy a bed pillow sized bag of cereal (usually sugary) and a case of Ramen.
I do feel sorry for those people because it is probably all they can afford
to eat.

But I do think overall in this part of the country, people try to eat more
healthy foods. There is such a big push for organic that nearly every store
sells it now. Winco is even getting some organic stuff because the
customers demanded it. Most all of the Supermarkets have a health food
section and they all have gluten free things. Many of the restaurants (even
the expensive ones) have labels on their menu as to things that are
vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, etc.

It was true culture shock to me to move from CA to NY where the food was so
different. CA is in many ways much the same as here when it comes to food.
In NY, I found that I had to lower my standards quite a bit and make do with
things I wouldn't ordinarily make. Italian food was everywhere but I
couldn't find the Mexican ingredients I was used to cooking with. Yes, the
commissary in Brooklyn had some of that stuff but... In general the
commissary is not where I would prefer to shop. We didn't have much choice
though because we just couldn't afford much food otherwise. I also stocked
up on food when we went to PA because not only was it cheaper but there was
actually far more variety there than what I could get in NY. Keep in mind
that we did live on Staten Island so what you could get in the city proper
could have been different. I never shopped there.

When we moved back to WA and I first went into an Albertsons, I remember
just standing there in the produce section and turning around slowly, taking
it all in. I was kind of like... Oh yeah! This is what food should BE!

I do think we are fortunate here in WA. Sure there are probably some things
we can't get here. But so much is available to us and we have so many
healthy options pretty much everywhere.

I have friends in TX and am sometimes mortified when they tell me of things
they have eaten in a restaurant. Like chili cheese fries. And that is not
their dinner. That is a starter. Sure, I think some places here have that
on the menu. Probably chain places. I just prefer not to dine at those
sorts of places. Mind you I am not saying that all Texans eat that way. My
now deceased diabetic friend did not. But I sure do know some who do.

Posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 00:48:29 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"I Don't Know" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 14:07:59 -0500, BessieBee
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On 9/25/2013 10:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>

>>>Julie, you're the *last* person on this group who should be commenting
>>>on what is "more popular" for kids' breakfasts. He's grown now, but
>>>when my son was in school his breakfast was cereal sometimes, scrambled
>>>eggs sometimes and occasionally a nicely toasted frozen waffle with real
>>>syrup. This was always accompanied with a glass of milk. After eating
>>>his breakfast he'd usually take a poptart or something with him to eat
>>>on the way to the bus stop.
>>>
>>>And, school provided breakfasts weren't only for the poor. Our son ate
>>>his breakfast at school for about a year when his father's and my work
>>>schedules made breakfast at home next to impossible. We paid for those
>>>breakfasts, although I believe those kids that qualified got theirs
>>>free. Those breakfasts consisted of cereal, milk, juice and sometimes
>>>they could also choose a doughnut.
>>>
>>>It's all a matter of scheduling. "taking the time to eat a bowl of
>>>cereal" is only a matter of getting the kid(s) up in time. I can't
>>>think of a time when we *ever* had cereal for dinner. A late night
>>>snack perhaps, but certainly not dinner!

>> It would depend on where you are in the country. My co-workers have
>> told me that they have had a hard time getting their wives not to let
>> their kids eat the same way they (the wives) did when they were kids.
>> Which was sugary cereals for breakfast, snacks basically any time of
>> the day or night, because they are cheap in this area. There is a
>> very large variety of off brand cereals here that come in huge plastic
>> bags, not boxes, kind of like the over sized bags of pre-popped
>> popcorn some stores sell. You could spend a few dollars per box on
>> capn crunch or get 6 times the amount for an off brand that tastes
>> almost the same and spend less.
>>
>> I've never allowed that junk in my home. Or rather I've never allowed
>> us to buy it. When it shows it, it's because someone spending the
>> night or weekend with us brought it with them.
>>
>> Personally I love going to breakfast buffets on the weekend so we
>> don't have to cook and clean up. We don't do it all the time but it
>> is a nice change. It always amazes me to a family come in, get their
>> table and watch the adults get mountains of potatoes, bacon and
>> sausage, pancakes etc. While the kids will go straight to the desert
>> bar and get cotton candy and other junk. Sometimes the kids actually
>> eat real food with the candy.

>Mrs. Bee is in my KF now but I don't know why she thinks I should be the
>last person to comment on this.

So there is no real reason for you to comment further.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 01:16:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"I Don't Know" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 22:24:26 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>So much of the packaging these days is very hard to open even for adults.
>>>It's very frustrating, and I wonder why people put up with it. :-)
>>>
>>>Cheri

>> How hard is it to poke a straw through a thin piece of foil in the top
>> of the box?

>Very. First you have to get the straw unwrapped. And many were the times
>that I couldn't do that without involving scissors. Then you have to hope
>you get a good straw. Can't tell you how many defective ones I had that
>broke or bent while trying to insert. Then you have to hope that you don't
>accidentally squeeze the box while inserting or you'll have a mess! The
>worst are the Capri Sun.

Somehow I am not surprised.
Posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

On 9/26/2013 11:20 PM, I Don't Know wrote:

> Personally I love going to breakfast buffets on the weekend so we
> don't have to cook and clean up. We don't do it all the time but it
> is a nice change. It always amazes me to a family come in, get their
> table and watch the adults get mountains of potatoes, bacon and
> sausage, pancakes etc. While the kids will go straight to the desert
> bar and get cotton candy and other junk. Sometimes the kids actually
> eat real food with the candy.

+1
Posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

On 9/27/2013 12:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "I Don't Know" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 14:07:59 -0500, BessieBee
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On 9/25/2013 10:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>

>>> Julie, you're the *last* person on this group who should be commenting
>>> on what is "more popular" for kids' breakfasts. He's grown now, but
>>> when my son was in school his breakfast was cereal sometimes, scrambled
>>> eggs sometimes and occasionally a nicely toasted frozen waffle with real
>>> syrup. This was always accompanied with a glass of milk. After eating
>>> his breakfast he'd usually take a poptart or something with him to eat
>>> on the way to the bus stop.
>>>
>>> And, school provided breakfasts weren't only for the poor. Our son ate
>>> his breakfast at school for about a year when his father's and my work
>>> schedules made breakfast at home next to impossible. We paid for those
>>> breakfasts, although I believe those kids that qualified got theirs
>>> free. Those breakfasts consisted of cereal, milk, juice and sometimes
>>> they could also choose a doughnut.
>>>
>>> It's all a matter of scheduling. "taking the time to eat a bowl of
>>> cereal" is only a matter of getting the kid(s) up in time. I can't
>>> think of a time when we *ever* had cereal for dinner. A late night
>>> snack perhaps, but certainly not dinner!

>> It would depend on where you are in the country. My co-workers have
>> told me that they have had a hard time getting their wives not to let
>> their kids eat the same way they (the wives) did when they were kids.
>> Which was sugary cereals for breakfast, snacks basically any time of
>> the day or night, because they are cheap in this area. There is a
>> very large variety of off brand cereals here that come in huge plastic
>> bags, not boxes, kind of like the over sized bags of pre-popped
>> popcorn some stores sell. You could spend a few dollars per box on
>> capn crunch or get 6 times the amount for an off brand that tastes
>> almost the same and spend less.
>>
>> I've never allowed that junk in my home. Or rather I've never allowed
>> us to buy it. When it shows it, it's because someone spending the
>> night or weekend with us brought it with them.
>>
>> Personally I love going to breakfast buffets on the weekend so we
>> don't have to cook and clean up. We don't do it all the time but it
>> is a nice change. It always amazes me to a family come in, get their
>> table and watch the adults get mountains of potatoes, bacon and
>> sausage, pancakes etc. While the kids will go straight to the desert
>> bar and get cotton candy and other junk. Sometimes the kids actually
>> eat real food with the candy.

> Mrs. Bee is in my KF

So is at least one iteration of the "name shifter" you are responding to
now.

now but I don't know why she thinks I should be the
> last person to comment on this. Does she think I never see kids? Our
> house is very near the elementary school bus stop. I see what those
> kids are eating. And they use our trees out front as a waste deposit
> for their wrappers on the way to the bus. That would be the older
> kids. Thank goodness the Capri Sun person has now graduated!
>
> I am also in contact with lots of kids and their parents at the dance
> studio. There are lots of kids there and they now take them as young as
> age 2. Since food and cooking are hobbies of mine,

With me food is not just a hobby: *I* do it for a living :-)
And I do it like they do chicken at KFC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QJGJ-DUCEQ

I often strike up a
> conversation with people about food! There is also a grocery store in
> that strip mall so people often run down there while their kids are in
> class. And they are often buying breakfast foods. So I see what they
> are buying.
>
> I do think that what people eat depends perhaps on their income and on
> where they live in this country. I don't think overall that people are
> big cereal eaters here. At least not for breakfast but I do know that
> people have told me they have eaten it or given it to their kids for
> dinner. Heck, people post this to Facebook all the time!
>
> It is common here for kids to have cereal as a snack in the form of
> trail mix. The scouts often do this as a project. Each person brings
> in something. Cereal, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, etc. Then they combine
> it all for a snack mix.
>
> I have seen people posting on the coupon forum about stockpiling cheap
> or free cereal. And I have seen people at Winco counting out their
> pennies to buy a bed pillow sized bag of cereal (usually sugary) and a
> case of Ramen.

I do feel sorry for those people because it is probably
> all they can afford to eat.

Bull. They are just Walmartians on the move:
http://tinyurl.com/kl2q5lp

They are everywhere these days.

> But I do think overall in this part of the country, people try to eat
> more healthy foods. There is such a big push for organic that nearly
> every store sells it now. Winco is even getting some organic stuff
> because the customers demanded it. Most all of the Supermarkets have a
> health food section and they all have gluten free things. Many of the
> restaurants (even the expensive ones) have labels on their menu as to
> things that are vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, etc.
>
> It was true culture shock to me to move from CA to NY where the food was
> so different. CA is in many ways much the same as here when it comes to
> food. In NY, I found that I had to lower my standards quite a bit and
> make do with things I wouldn't ordinarily make. Italian food was
> everywhere but I couldn't find the Mexican ingredients I was used to
> cooking with. Yes, the commissary in Brooklyn had some of that stuff
> but... In general the commissary is not where I would prefer to shop.
> We didn't have much choice though because we just couldn't afford much
> food otherwise. I also stocked up on food when we went to PA because
> not only was it cheaper but there was actually far more variety there
> than what I could get in NY. Keep in mind that we did live on Staten
> Island so what you could get in the city proper could have been
> different. I never shopped there.
>
> When we moved back to WA and I first went into an Albertsons, I remember
> just standing there in the produce section and turning around slowly,
> taking it all in. I was kind of like... Oh yeah! This is what food
> should BE!
>
> I do think we are fortunate here in WA. Sure there are probably some
> things we can't get here. But so much is available to us and we have so
> many healthy options pretty much everywhere.
>
> I have friends in TX and am sometimes mortified when they tell me of
> things they have eaten in a restaurant. Like chili cheese fries. And
> that is not their dinner. That is a starter. Sure, I think some places
> here have that on the menu. Probably chain places. I just prefer not
> to dine at those sorts of places. Mind you I am not saying that all
> Texans eat that way. My now deceased diabetic friend did not. But I
> sure do know some who do.

Posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

On 9/27/2013 1:20 AM, I Don't Know wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 14:07:59 -0500, BessieBee
> > wrote:
>
>> On 9/25/2013 10:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> Julie, you're the *last* person on this group who should be commenting
>> on what is "more popular" for kids' breakfasts. He's grown now, but
>> when my son was in school his breakfast was cereal sometimes, scrambled
>> eggs sometimes and occasionally a nicely toasted frozen waffle with real
>> syrup. This was always accompanied with a glass of milk. After eating
>> his breakfast he'd usually take a poptart or something with him to eat
>> on the way to the bus stop.
>>
>> And, school provided breakfasts weren't only for the poor. Our son ate
>> his breakfast at school for about a year when his father's and my work
>> schedules made breakfast at home next to impossible. We paid for those
>> breakfasts, although I believe those kids that qualified got theirs
>> free. Those breakfasts consisted of cereal, milk, juice and sometimes
>> they could also choose a doughnut.
>>
>> It's all a matter of scheduling. "taking the time to eat a bowl of
>> cereal" is only a matter of getting the kid(s) up in time. I can't
>> think of a time when we *ever* had cereal for dinner. A late night
>> snack perhaps, but certainly not dinner!

> It would depend on where you are in the country.

Not to detract from your history, the above statement is true.

When I lived with my in-laws in Georgia briefly (that spouse
died in 1969,) mother-in-law would get up to make me their
traditional breakfast of a fried chicken thigh, grits, and
unpasteurized buttermilk sourced from their cow.

> My co-workers have
> told me that they have had a hard time getting their wives not to let
> their kids eat the same way they (the wives) did when they were kids.
> Which was sugary cereals for breakfast, snacks basically any time of
> the day or night, because they are cheap in this area. There is a
> very large variety of off brand cereals here that come in huge plastic
> bags, not boxes, kind of like the over sized bags of pre-popped
> popcorn some stores sell. You could spend a few dollars per box on
> capn crunch or get 6 times the amount for an off brand that tastes
> almost the same and spend less.
>
> I've never allowed that junk in my home. Or rather I've never allowed
> us to buy it. When it shows it, it's because someone spending the
> night or weekend with us brought it with them.
>
> Personally I love going to breakfast buffets on the weekend so we
> don't have to cook and clean up. We don't do it all the time but it
> is a nice change. It always amazes me to a family come in, get their
> table and watch the adults get mountains of potatoes, bacon and
> sausage, pancakes etc. While the kids will go straight to the desert
> bar and get cotton candy and other junk. Sometimes the kids actually
> eat real food with the candy.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 23:53:12 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Karen" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 13:27:31 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>I think some of the Capri Sun is 100% juice but I could be wrong. Not
>>>something I ever bought.

>> You were the one who said the Capri Sun was the worst. I assumed you
>> were speaking from experience. How else would you have formed that
>> opinion? I agreed with you on the issue about the straws.

>Because I am around children. Currently at the dance studio and in the
>past, I volunteered at Angela's school. I have had to help kids with their
>food and drinks whether I wanted to or not. I would always cringe when they
>needed help with the drink.

Ok. I stand corrected.