Posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

Default What cereal to eat for Breakfast?

"Maya Zuiderweg" <$no_spam#ma_dot_zuiderweg_@_me_dot_com#maps_on$ > wrote in
message news
> W. Baker stelde dit idée voor :
>> In alt.support.diabetes Maya Zuiderweg
>> <$no_spam#ma_dot_zuiderweg_@_me_dot_com#maps_on$ > wrote:
>>
>>> I remember my brother eating that: cereals with milk, also a special
>>> type of cereal, I bet that was a sweet kind. No wonder one gets fat.

>>> Here a typical breakfast is 2 slices of bread with a very thin slice of
>>> cheese *or* ham on top, accompanied by tea, sometimes coffee.

>>> M. Most children here in the US on school days will eat a some juice, a

>> bowl of cerea and milk and , maybe some milk o drink. Mornings in the US
>> are surried on school days like in most partsof the world. Cereal in
>> placeofsoem toast is not a big difference. the big eggs, cereal, or
>> pancakes with syrup , etc breakfasts would be a weekend kind of treat.

> The typical weekend treat would be a boiled egg to go with the slices of
> bread.

We never had a weekend treat type of breakfast unless you count the stale
donuts on Sunday as treats. I do not. More like torture. My dad went
through a phase of making waffles but it was short lived because they never
came out right. And we sure as heck never had treat breakfasts here. In
fact I rarely ever cook anything for breakfast. I used to boil eggs a dozen
at a time but none of us are big egg eaters. I would make something on
Christmas morning and perhaps New Years though. Like a breakfast casserole.

>> The large breakfast was from the days when so many were farmers and was
>> not eaten on arising, but after utting in a few early hours milking the
>> cows, mucking out the barn, etc so a big a ppetite was worked up. There
>> is some carry ove, but not on working or school days for most peope .

> My grandparents were farmers, we used to visit them for a weeks once a
> year. Ryebread with cheese, lots of tea was always for breakfast.

My grandparents were farmers too. No big breakfast there. They did feed me
some kind of chocolate cereal that I did not like.

> On the occasion that family visited them grandpa would slaughter a
> chicken, which was crazy for a kid: a running chicken without a head!
> The chicken was for soup, for all the days that we were visiting.
> I dont have to mention that they were kind of poor, do I?

I do remember the chicken thing. My grandparents were also poor. They did
have homemade butter and baked goods. And if there was meat, it was
stretched to the max. A pound of ground beef could feed the family all
week. My grandma didn't like to cook much so would make a huge pot of
something and we'd eat that all week for dinner. But there were always tons
of vegetables, either fresh during the summer or canned during the winter.
She did love to bake and always had tons of sweets. And she liked cheap
Mexican food so would often take my cousin and I to some place to get it. It
was little more than a shack and they sold it to go. I can't remember what
all they had but there were burritos because I can remember her ordering one
and the way she pronounced it make me cringe. She said it like byurr
(rhymed with purr).

>> some kids get breakfast in school adn that is a small container of Orange
>> juice, a small box of cereal, 8 oz of milk and, sometime a half or whole
>> small banana.

> A school-breakfast was never common here. One ate at home.

It's common here only for the poor because there are so many kids who would
get no food otherwise. They get a free breakfast and a free or reduced
lunch. That may be their only food for the day. It has become such a
terrible problem that the schools are open now during the summer to give the
kids food. Alas, there is generally just one school per district with the
meals so if the kid lives too far away to walk there, they might still not
get it. And the teachers are buying things like granola bars on their own.
They tell the kids if they are hungry to please ask for food. In past years
they have asked for parents to donate some kind of healthy, shelf stable
food.

In some areas (not that I know of here), people put together backpacks of
food to get these kids through the weekend. I have seen things on TV and in
magazines about that. They send home backpacks full of food. The financial
sitution of many here is getting worse and worse. My friend said that the
city of Seattle is raising rents to astronomical prices. Both her son and
his ex got the red on their apartments raised $200 a month and neither can
afford to pay it.

>> Often they don't drink the juice. when my sone was in kindergarten, the
>> teacher used to get the unopened left over juice form the cafeteria and
>> the little ones had a mid-morning snack.

Those juice boxes can be darned hard to get into. Angela couldn't do them
until she was old enough to not want them any more and I always struggle
with them.