Old 04-08-2008, 05:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cereal for Breakfast ?

Alexm wrote in

s.com:

I have often wondered who decided that breakfast and cereal
were married to each other. What did the multitudes eat for
breakfast back in the 1400-1700s in London, for example?

Google.

http://tiny.cc/8vd7qhttp://tiny.cc/8vd7q

"History Of Breakfast In America
Chris Kimball, Of "America's Test Kitchen" And "Cook's Illustrated"
Offers A Lesson'

Photo's and Videos at above link.

Here's a timeline:
http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodfaq7.html

Gotta go to bed soon. Maybe wikipedia will have your answer.

:-)

Old 04-08-2008, 05:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

I have often wondered who decided that breakfast and cereal were
married to each other. What did the multitudes eat for breakfast back
in the 1400-1700s in London, for example?

AlexM
Old 04-08-2008, 07:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alexm" wrote in message
I have often wondered who decided that breakfast and cereal were
married to each other. What did the multitudes eat for breakfast back
in the 1400-1700s in London, for example?

cereal, e.g. hot oatmeal or gruel.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Alexm wrote:

I have often wondered who decided that breakfast and cereal were
married to each other. What did the multitudes eat for breakfast back
in the 1400-1700s in London, for example?

AlexM

But then, there's also the opposite!!! Who's to say that breakfast
can't be had for dinner!

Sky, who always enjoyed breakfast as a dinner treat!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Old 04-08-2008, 12:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alexm" wrote in message
I have often wondered who decided that breakfast and cereal were
married to each other. What did the multitudes eat for breakfast back
in the 1400-1700s in London, for example?

AlexM

Bread and maybe some cheese.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alexm" wrote in message
I have often wondered who decided that breakfast and cereal were
married to each other. What did the multitudes eat for breakfast back
in the 1400-1700s in London, for example?

AlexM

I rarely eat cereal for breakfast, my guess that it's one time a year or
less. However there are times that I will eat cereal as a before bed snack.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" wrote in message
Alexm wrote:

I have often wondered who decided that breakfast and cereal were
married to each other. What did the multitudes eat for breakfast back
in the 1400-1700s in London, for example?

AlexM

But then, there's also the opposite!!! Who's to say that breakfast
can't be had for dinner!

Sky, who always enjoyed breakfast as a dinner treat!

Me too! In fact, any time. I love doing a simple scramble with hot salsa and
cheddar shreds tossed on top in the end.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Alexm wrote:
I have often wondered who decided that breakfast and cereal were
married to each other. What did the multitudes eat for breakfast back
in the 1400-1700s in London, for example?

The story I heard is that breakfast was made of foods that were on hand
and that cooked quickly. As the household got started, someone would
"do the chores" which included milking the cow, collecting the eggs from
the hens, and mucking out the stables. Then they'd come in for
breakfast. Meanwhile, another family member would have started the
fire. Breakfast would be a hearty meal of fresh milk, eggs which cook
quickly over the fire, and possibly a meat like ham or bacon, something
salted and preserved and therefore easily accessable in the house.
Cereal would fit that category of being on hand and easy to prepare
quickly. Later meals could be stews with long cooking meats or
vegetables, foods that wouldn't be picked or slaughtered until later in
the day.

That would all be for agrarian North America.

I googled on what breakfast would have been in the Middle Ages in a city
center like London. (It turns out that there are lots of travel sites
advertising Bed and Breakfasts with Medieval themes.) I found these
sites interesting:

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk...eval_engla.htm
http://www.castles-of-britain.com/castlesf.htm
http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/~vaasjok...s/medfood.html

I didn't stay at the research long enough to find anything definitive.
I did get the idea that breakfast in Medieval London might have
consisted of bread, cheese and ale.

--Lia

Old 04-08-2008, 03:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Woolstitcher wrote:
"Alexm" wrote in message
I have often wondered who decided that breakfast and cereal were
married to each other. What did the multitudes eat for breakfast back
in the 1400-1700s in London, for example?

AlexM

I rarely eat cereal for breakfast, my guess that it's one time a year or
less. However there are times that I will eat cereal as a before bed snack.

I almost always have cereal or porridge for breakfast. In the summer I
have Shredded Wheat with sliced bananas, raisins or fresh berries on
top. In the winter I make oatmeal porridge. It sticks to the ribs and
keeps me going for the day. I cannot do the eggs and bacon thing for
breakfast.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 02:03:00 -0400, cybercat wrote:

"Alexm" wrote in message
I have often wondered who decided that breakfast and cereal were
married to each other. What did the multitudes eat for breakfast back
in the 1400-1700s in London, for example?

cereal, e.g. hot oatmeal or gruel.

....which they likely also had for dinner.

your pal,
blake

Old 04-08-2008, 05:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Alexm wrote:

I have often wondered who decided that breakfast and cereal were
married to each other. What did the multitudes eat for breakfast back
in the 1400-1700s in London, for example?

I have cereal for breakfast sometimes on the weekend or
vacation/holidays, when I'm home. Otherwise, I eat cereal for snacks
frequently.

Brian

won't shut up.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Alexm wrote:

I have often wondered who decided that breakfast and cereal were
married to each other. What did the multitudes eat for breakfast back
in the 1400-1700s in London, for example?

Rats?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...
Old 04-08-2008, 07:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 3, 11:50*pm, Alexm wrote:
I have often wondered who decided that breakfast and cereal were
married to each other. *What did the multitudes eat for breakfast back
in the 1400-1700s in London, for example?

AlexM

Leftovers from the whole hog roasted the knight before. Or sometimes,
dragon filets, if George dropped in.

N.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 4, 1:02*pm, Nancy2 wrote:

Leftovers from the whole hog roasted the knight before. *Or sometimes,
dragon filets, if George dropped in.

==================================

If George dropped in today I would feed him a (VERY) wild mushroom
omelet with beurre au hemlock. I'll just have tea and dry toast,
thanks.

Lynn in Fargo

Old 04-08-2008, 07:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Default User" wrote in message
Alexm wrote:

I have often wondered who decided that breakfast and cereal were
married to each other.

The fact that it is a huge industry must mean something.

After eating cereal everyday for years, I switched to one egg fried in
butter, a slice of buttered whole wheat homemade bread with lots of jam, and
a glass of milk daily. Correspondingly I feel better, have more energy, and
eat less during the day. I have never experienced more than normal amounts
of occasional heartburn and other gastric distress, but I now have even less
of those.

Too bad because I love cereal though.

pflu