Posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

Default What cereal to eat for Breakfast?

"I Don't Know" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 14:07:59 -0500, BessieBee
> > wrote:
>
>>On 9/25/2013 10:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>>Julie, you're the *last* person on this group who should be commenting
>>on what is "more popular" for kids' breakfasts. He's grown now, but
>>when my son was in school his breakfast was cereal sometimes, scrambled
>>eggs sometimes and occasionally a nicely toasted frozen waffle with real
>>syrup. This was always accompanied with a glass of milk. After eating
>>his breakfast he'd usually take a poptart or something with him to eat
>>on the way to the bus stop.
>>
>>And, school provided breakfasts weren't only for the poor. Our son ate
>>his breakfast at school for about a year when his father's and my work
>>schedules made breakfast at home next to impossible. We paid for those
>>breakfasts, although I believe those kids that qualified got theirs
>>free. Those breakfasts consisted of cereal, milk, juice and sometimes
>>they could also choose a doughnut.
>>
>>It's all a matter of scheduling. "taking the time to eat a bowl of
>>cereal" is only a matter of getting the kid(s) up in time. I can't
>>think of a time when we *ever* had cereal for dinner. A late night
>>snack perhaps, but certainly not dinner!

> It would depend on where you are in the country. My co-workers have
> told me that they have had a hard time getting their wives not to let
> their kids eat the same way they (the wives) did when they were kids.
> Which was sugary cereals for breakfast, snacks basically any time of
> the day or night, because they are cheap in this area. There is a
> very large variety of off brand cereals here that come in huge plastic
> bags, not boxes, kind of like the over sized bags of pre-popped
> popcorn some stores sell. You could spend a few dollars per box on
> capn crunch or get 6 times the amount for an off brand that tastes
> almost the same and spend less.
>
> I've never allowed that junk in my home. Or rather I've never allowed
> us to buy it. When it shows it, it's because someone spending the
> night or weekend with us brought it with them.
>
> Personally I love going to breakfast buffets on the weekend so we
> don't have to cook and clean up. We don't do it all the time but it
> is a nice change. It always amazes me to a family come in, get their
> table and watch the adults get mountains of potatoes, bacon and
> sausage, pancakes etc. While the kids will go straight to the desert
> bar and get cotton candy and other junk. Sometimes the kids actually
> eat real food with the candy.

Mrs. Bee is in my KF now but I don't know why she thinks I should be the
last person to comment on this. Does she think I never see kids? Our house
is very near the elementary school bus stop. I see what those kids are
eating. And they use our trees out front as a waste deposit for their
wrappers on the way to the bus. That would be the older kids. Thank
goodness the Capri Sun person has now graduated!

I am also in contact with lots of kids and their parents at the dance
studio. There are lots of kids there and they now take them as young as age
2. Since food and cooking are hobbies of mine, I often strike up a
conversation with people about food! There is also a grocery store in that
strip mall so people often run down there while their kids are in class.
And they are often buying breakfast foods. So I see what they are buying.

I do think that what people eat depends perhaps on their income and on where
they live in this country. I don't think overall that people are big cereal
eaters here. At least not for breakfast but I do know that people have told
me they have eaten it or given it to their kids for dinner. Heck, people
post this to Facebook all the time!

It is common here for kids to have cereal as a snack in the form of trail
mix. The scouts often do this as a project. Each person brings in
something. Cereal, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, etc. Then they combine it all
for a snack mix.

I have seen people posting on the coupon forum about stockpiling cheap or
free cereal. And I have seen people at Winco counting out their pennies to
buy a bed pillow sized bag of cereal (usually sugary) and a case of Ramen.
I do feel sorry for those people because it is probably all they can afford
to eat.

But I do think overall in this part of the country, people try to eat more
healthy foods. There is such a big push for organic that nearly every store
sells it now. Winco is even getting some organic stuff because the
customers demanded it. Most all of the Supermarkets have a health food
section and they all have gluten free things. Many of the restaurants (even
the expensive ones) have labels on their menu as to things that are
vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, etc.

It was true culture shock to me to move from CA to NY where the food was so
different. CA is in many ways much the same as here when it comes to food.
In NY, I found that I had to lower my standards quite a bit and make do with
things I wouldn't ordinarily make. Italian food was everywhere but I
couldn't find the Mexican ingredients I was used to cooking with. Yes, the
commissary in Brooklyn had some of that stuff but... In general the
commissary is not where I would prefer to shop. We didn't have much choice
though because we just couldn't afford much food otherwise. I also stocked
up on food when we went to PA because not only was it cheaper but there was
actually far more variety there than what I could get in NY. Keep in mind
that we did live on Staten Island so what you could get in the city proper
could have been different. I never shopped there.

When we moved back to WA and I first went into an Albertsons, I remember
just standing there in the produce section and turning around slowly, taking
it all in. I was kind of like... Oh yeah! This is what food should BE!

I do think we are fortunate here in WA. Sure there are probably some things
we can't get here. But so much is available to us and we have so many
healthy options pretty much everywhere.

I have friends in TX and am sometimes mortified when they tell me of things
they have eaten in a restaurant. Like chili cheese fries. And that is not
their dinner. That is a starter. Sure, I think some places here have that
on the menu. Probably chain places. I just prefer not to dine at those
sorts of places. Mind you I am not saying that all Texans eat that way. My
now deceased diabetic friend did not. But I sure do know some who do.