Posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
[email protected] anothascreename@aol.com is offline

Default What cereal to eat for Breakfast?

On 9/27/2013 12:48 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "I Don't Know" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 14:07:59 -0500, BessieBee
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On 9/25/2013 10:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>

>>> Julie, you're the *last* person on this group who should be commenting
>>> on what is "more popular" for kids' breakfasts. He's grown now, but
>>> when my son was in school his breakfast was cereal sometimes, scrambled
>>> eggs sometimes and occasionally a nicely toasted frozen waffle with real
>>> syrup. This was always accompanied with a glass of milk. After eating
>>> his breakfast he'd usually take a poptart or something with him to eat
>>> on the way to the bus stop.
>>>
>>> And, school provided breakfasts weren't only for the poor. Our son ate
>>> his breakfast at school for about a year when his father's and my work
>>> schedules made breakfast at home next to impossible. We paid for those
>>> breakfasts, although I believe those kids that qualified got theirs
>>> free. Those breakfasts consisted of cereal, milk, juice and sometimes
>>> they could also choose a doughnut.
>>>
>>> It's all a matter of scheduling. "taking the time to eat a bowl of
>>> cereal" is only a matter of getting the kid(s) up in time. I can't
>>> think of a time when we *ever* had cereal for dinner. A late night
>>> snack perhaps, but certainly not dinner!

>> It would depend on where you are in the country. My co-workers have
>> told me that they have had a hard time getting their wives not to let
>> their kids eat the same way they (the wives) did when they were kids.
>> Which was sugary cereals for breakfast, snacks basically any time of
>> the day or night, because they are cheap in this area. There is a
>> very large variety of off brand cereals here that come in huge plastic
>> bags, not boxes, kind of like the over sized bags of pre-popped
>> popcorn some stores sell. You could spend a few dollars per box on
>> capn crunch or get 6 times the amount for an off brand that tastes
>> almost the same and spend less.
>>
>> I've never allowed that junk in my home. Or rather I've never allowed
>> us to buy it. When it shows it, it's because someone spending the
>> night or weekend with us brought it with them.
>>
>> Personally I love going to breakfast buffets on the weekend so we
>> don't have to cook and clean up. We don't do it all the time but it
>> is a nice change. It always amazes me to a family come in, get their
>> table and watch the adults get mountains of potatoes, bacon and
>> sausage, pancakes etc. While the kids will go straight to the desert
>> bar and get cotton candy and other junk. Sometimes the kids actually
>> eat real food with the candy.

> Mrs. Bee is in my KF

So is at least one iteration of the "name shifter" you are responding to
now.

now but I don't know why she thinks I should be the
> last person to comment on this. Does she think I never see kids? Our
> house is very near the elementary school bus stop. I see what those
> kids are eating. And they use our trees out front as a waste deposit
> for their wrappers on the way to the bus. That would be the older
> kids. Thank goodness the Capri Sun person has now graduated!
>
> I am also in contact with lots of kids and their parents at the dance
> studio. There are lots of kids there and they now take them as young as
> age 2. Since food and cooking are hobbies of mine,

With me food is not just a hobby: *I* do it for a living :-)
And I do it like they do chicken at KFC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QJGJ-DUCEQ

I often strike up a
> conversation with people about food! There is also a grocery store in
> that strip mall so people often run down there while their kids are in
> class. And they are often buying breakfast foods. So I see what they
> are buying.
>
> I do think that what people eat depends perhaps on their income and on
> where they live in this country. I don't think overall that people are
> big cereal eaters here. At least not for breakfast but I do know that
> people have told me they have eaten it or given it to their kids for
> dinner. Heck, people post this to Facebook all the time!
>
> It is common here for kids to have cereal as a snack in the form of
> trail mix. The scouts often do this as a project. Each person brings
> in something. Cereal, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, etc. Then they combine
> it all for a snack mix.
>
> I have seen people posting on the coupon forum about stockpiling cheap
> or free cereal. And I have seen people at Winco counting out their
> pennies to buy a bed pillow sized bag of cereal (usually sugary) and a
> case of Ramen.

I do feel sorry for those people because it is probably
> all they can afford to eat.

Bull. They are just Walmartians on the move:
http://tinyurl.com/kl2q5lp

They are everywhere these days.