John Crankshaw

Default Another pork cut like baby backs?

Just wondering if there is another (maybe cheaper?) pork cut that q's up
like baby back ribs.

John

JakBQuik

"John Crankshaw" > wrote in message
> Just wondering if there is another (maybe cheaper?) pork cut that q's up
> like baby back ribs.
>
> John

Most folks around here prefer spare ribs. They're meatier, cheaper and you
just get more pig for your phennig.

John in Austin

Jason in Dallas

"John Crankshaw" > wrote in message
> Just wondering if there is another (maybe cheaper?) pork cut that q's up

like baby back ribs.

Spareribs are cheaper by about half in my area but not the same in cooking,
flavor or texture. They also have more prep involved. But many folks prefer
spares since they are meatier in both mass and flavor. But hey, so long as
we're dreaming is there another (maybe cheaper?) beef cut that grills up
like fillet mignon? I was kinda hoping I could get rump roast to be as good
or better than fillet mignon.

"Yo, cut them spare ribs in half so they look like baby backs!"
- some dude at the grocery store once

Dave Bugg

John Crankshaw wrote:

> Just wondering if there is another (maybe cheaper?) pork cut that q's
> up like baby back ribs.

Spareribs are far cheaper, much meatier, and -- IMHO -- better tasting.

BOB

Dave Bugg wrote:
> John Crankshaw wrote:
>
>> Just wondering if there is another (maybe cheaper?) pork cut that q's
>> up like baby back ribs.

> Spareribs are far cheaper, much meatier, and -- IMHO -- better tasting.

Bingo!

BOB

Jeff Russell

As others have said, spare ribs. But, trim off the top meaty hunk for more
even cooking. I believe that is called a St. Louis cut.
Make sure to cook the trimmed parts too.

"John Crankshaw" > wrote in message
> Just wondering if there is another (maybe cheaper?) pork cut that q's up
> like baby back ribs.
>
> John

Edwin Pawlowski

"John Crankshaw" > wrote in message

> Just wondering if there is another (maybe cheaper?) pork cut that q's up
> like baby back ribs.
>
> John

Baby backs are over rated and way overpriced. Popularity is killing them.

I see you got a lot of recommendations for spares. I like them also, but
there is still another alternative and cheap. Country ribs. Not a true
rib, they are cut from the butt. Tender and tasty though.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

bbq

John Crankshaw wrote:
> Just wondering if there is another (maybe cheaper?) pork cut that q's up
> like baby back ribs.
>
> John

I see your getting lots of recommendations for spares. And yes, spares
can be q'ed just like babybacks. They can be very good, if done right.
I cook both. Babybacks to me have been much easier to cook and cook in
2 hours. Spares, OTOH, I have done several times and have had great
results and not so great results.

My latest cook with spares on half of one rack(I cooked 2 racks) they
pulled down much further then the other half. They were OK, but not
great. I may have cooked them TOO fast. Also, I was not using water in
the water pan and instead am trying the sand method.

I buy spares already cut St Louis style. All is needed is pull membrane
and apply rub as desired and there ready too cook. The rest of the rib
is also included and cut into 4 inch pieces. I cook them along with the
spares, but would like to know what else can be done with these pieces.
If anyone has suggestions/ideas pleas let me know.

So get to your butcher, buy some spares and Q away. Let us know how you
liked them.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

M&M

John Crankshaw wrote:
and then;
On 11-May-2004, bbq > wrote:

> The rest of the rib
> is also included and cut into 4 inch pieces. I cook them along with the
> spares, but would like to know what else can be done with these pieces.
> If anyone has suggestions/ideas pleas let me know.

I like to throw some of those ends and tips in with some beans. I do pinto,
great northern, navy and sometimes lima beans. They all like a little meat
in them and BBQ rules.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Jason in Dallas

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. ..

> Baby backs are over rated and way overpriced. Popularity is killing them.

They're worth what the market says they're worth. Since they're delicious
and in short supply compared to the yield of the hog they aren't cheap. Pig
ears are in even shorter supply, but since they're nasty they're cheap. It's
all a matter of taste but BBs are most certianly not over-rated. I prefer
BBs to spares and am willing to pay the $3.88/lb they cost at the local
wholesale club.

Dave Bugg

Jason in Dallas wrote:

> They're worth what the market says they're worth. Since they're
> delicious and in short supply compared to the yield of the hog they
> aren't cheap. Pig ears are in even shorter supply, but since they're
> nasty they're cheap. It's all a matter of taste but BBs are most
> certianly not over-rated.

Jason is correct about the demand thing. And babybacks are certainly tasty,
along with being easier and quicker to bbq.

What facinates me is the fact that demand is driven sooo much by
perception, convenience and lack of knowledge. After all, how much of a
taste difference can there be with a Tony Roma, Chilis or Applebees spare or
babyback rib that's been pressure steamed, thrown on a grill, then slatered
with a sauce? And although McDonalds and Burger King use enough of the
nation's supply of ground beef to affect the overall supply of ground beef,
you would be hard pressed to say that the "trillions served" are choosing
these fast-food emporiums because their hamburgers are better than the local
mom and pop hamburger joint.

The case of babybacks vs. spares is a good example. I can get a case price
on a 3.5# slab of spare ribs for $1.39 per pound in my area. The case price
for a 2.25# slab of spares is $1.89 per pound. The case price for a 1.5#
slab of spares is $2.69 per pound...... the same case price per pound as a
slab of babybacks. Why? Why is the case price of spares *less* costly the
MORE the average slab weighs? It is because the less weighty ribs are in
HUGE demand by the restaurant industry, which is the LARGEST consumer of
ribs. Why does the restaurant industry prefer the lower weight slabs? Not
because of taste. They are prefered because -- according to the various
distributors that I have been dealing with like SYSCO, and some of the
regional meat packing houses in the midwest -- they cook faster. Yep, the
quicker the cooking, the LESS likely you'll botch up the product during
cooking, the faster the product gets out the door, and the bigger the profit
margin. You learn a lot when starting your own restaurant.

In my 'Q joint, I'll be serving the 3.5# spares. I'll be trimming them to a
St.Louis style. I don't CARE how long they take to be barbecued, because
I'll make my profits not *just* off of volume. I don't have to "Quick Cook"
my ribs to meet my break-even point. I'm looking for the best and most
tasty bang-for-the-buck I can give my customers, and that comes from selling
the most meaty, and properly 'Qd rib, that they can get anywhere. It's my
bet that my customers will never go back for more of the local Applebees
babybacks. :-)
Dave

Nathan Lau

Dave Bugg wrote:
> In my 'Q joint, I'll be serving the 3.5# spares. I'll be trimming them to a
> St.Louis style. I don't CARE how long they take to be barbecued, because
> I'll make my profits not *just* off of volume. I don't have to "Quick Cook"
> my ribs to meet my break-even point. I'm looking for the best and most
> tasty bang-for-the-buck I can give my customers, and that comes from selling
> the most meaty, and properly 'Qd rib, that they can get anywhere. It's my
> bet that my customers will never go back for more of the local Applebees
> babybacks. :-)
> Dave

What are you gonna do with all the trimmings? Make rib tips?

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>
Dave Bugg

Nathan Lau wrote:

> What are you gonna do with all the trimmings? Make rib tips?

Yup. And the trimmed flap meat will also be smoked and added to baked beans,
and also added to a mixture of a bit of leftover brisket and pork shoulder
to make a sauced combo served on a 6", fresh, crusty Italian-style roll as a
sandwich .

Duwop

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Nathan Lau wrote:
>
>> What are you gonna do with all the trimmings? Make rib tips?

> Yup. And the trimmed flap meat will also be smoked and added to baked
> beans, and also added to a mixture of a bit of leftover brisket and
> pork shoulder to make a sauced combo served on a 6", fresh, crusty
> Italian-style roll as a sandwich .

I LIKE the sound of that one. I sure like salami and ham on a sandwich...
Brisket and butt, damn, wish I woulda thought of that!

Dale
Never intend to eat at any Applebees, Olive Garden or any of those "nuke the
canned food from HQ" places.

Default User

Jeff Russell wrote:

> As others have said, spare ribs. But, trim off the top meaty hunk for more
> even cooking. I believe that is called a St. Louis cut.
> Make sure to cook the trimmed parts too.

Aaaa, I like the extra chunk on there. Yes, the ribs (some of them) will
have a joint in them, but I don't mind.

Brian Rodenborn

bill

In article >, "Dave Bugg"
<deebuggatcharterdotnet> says...
<Nathan Lau wrote:
<
<> What are you gonna do with all the trimmings? Make rib tips?
<
<Yup. And the trimmed flap meat will also be smoked and added to baked beans,
<and also added to a mixture of a bit of leftover brisket and pork shoulder
<to make a sauced combo served on a 6", fresh, crusty Italian-style roll as a
<sandwich .
<
<
<

Trimmed flapmeat: smoked, chopped, scrambled with eggs = yummy
breakfast

smoked, chopped, serve on soft taco shell with slaw = yummy
lunch

Bill
Jason in Dallas

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> Nathan Lau wrote:
>
> > What are you gonna do with all the trimmings? Make rib tips?

> Yup. And the trimmed flap meat will also be smoked and added to baked

beans,
> and also added to a mixture of a bit of leftover brisket and pork shoulder
> to make a sauced combo served on a 6", fresh, crusty Italian-style roll as

> sandwich .

Smokey John's here in Dallas makes a sandwich with sliced brisket, chopped
mystery meat, sliced ham and yellow cheese that's incredible. Yes, I said
cheese. There are sesame seeds on the bun which I believe to be key.

But as someone coming from years working, developing and managing in food
and beverage industry I gotta warn you quality will not take you as far as
you might believe. It's a hard racket to make it in the BBQ business and few
and far in between are the financially successful joints that actually serve
good Q also.

Smokey John's in Dallas is fantastic but the dude sure ain't getting rich.
Colter's and Dickey's and Tony Roma's are making money hand over fist while
serving terrible Q. To make it in the biz you must first get lots of people
in the door which you can accomplish partially with quality. Then you must
not be afraid to charge high enough prices. Then you must keep costs down,
and this is a lot harder than it sounds. Finally, you gotta keep your
employees from robbing you blind which I'm convinced is the cause of at
least 1 in 10 restaurant failures. Giving food away without your permission
counts as robbing you by the way.

Dave Bugg

Jason in Dallas wrote:

> Smokey John's here in Dallas makes a sandwich with sliced brisket,
> chopped mystery meat, sliced ham and yellow cheese that's incredible.
> Yes, I said cheese. There are sesame seeds on the bun which I believe
> to be key.

I'd thought about adding cheese; personally, for that kind of sandwich I'd
like to have it with cheese. Who knows, if cheez whiz can make it in Philly,
maybe it'd gain a following here.

> But as someone coming from years working, developing and managing in
> food and beverage industry I gotta warn you quality will not take you
> as far as you might believe. It's a hard racket to make it in the BBQ
> business and few and far in between are the financially successful
> joints that actually serve good Q also.

That I believe.

> Smokey John's in Dallas is fantastic but the dude sure ain't getting
> rich. Colter's and Dickey's and Tony Roma's are making money hand
> over fist while serving terrible Q. To make it in the biz you must
> first get lots of people in the door which you can accomplish
> partially with quality. Then you must not be afraid to charge high
> enough prices. Then you must keep costs down, and this is a lot
> harder than it sounds. Finally, you gotta keep your employees from
> robbing you blind which I'm convinced is the cause of at least 1 in
> 10 restaurant failures. Giving food away without your permission
> counts as robbing you by the way.

Absolutely. That's one of the first items I addressed in my business plan:
having a good fiscal plan in place and keeping a tight control on overhead.
I have spent countless hours looking at what is done in successful
businesses that share my same model. Those businesses all share components
that are similar *management* styles and policies, as well as strict
*financial* policies, and quality control.

Since you have experience in the industry, don't hesitate to pass on
anything that you think will help my business. Feel free to email me. I
value input from those who have the experience.
Dave

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message

> Jason in Dallas wrote:
>
> > They're worth what the market says they're worth. Since they're
> > delicious and in short supply compared to the yield of the hog they
> > aren't cheap. Pig ears are in even shorter supply, but since they're
> > nasty they're cheap. It's all a matter of taste but BBs are most
> > certianly not over-rated.

> Jason is correct about the demand thing. And babybacks are certainly

tasty,
> along with being easier and quicker to bbq.
>
> What facinates me is the fact that demand is driven sooo much by
> perception, convenience and lack of knowledge.

Baby backs are over rated because a lot of people just don't know how to
cook spares properly. As for the chains, probably 99.9% don't cook them
right. Some years ago, I would have agreed. Then I was able to turn out
the spares better and better to the point they are superior in flavor and
tenderness and you get a lot more meat for the buck.

Spares take a few minutes more to prep and take about an hour longer to
cook. I've made a few converts from the bb crowd and the steamed junk from
the local eateries. Education is what it takes.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

M&M

<snip>
On 13-May-2004, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> Yes - that's what I implying. Dark meat chicken is much better
> than white meat. I forgot this was AFB where most people are
> thinking brined and smoked chicken breasts - which can indeed be
> good. For regular chicken cooking, though, dark meat rules.

There's no disputing taste. While I agree with SW, my wife doesn't.
But that's fine with me. She disposes of the white meat and I get all
the good stuff. Periodically, I make chicken parmigiana (sp) or chicken
marsala. I can tolerate the breast meat that way. In either case, I
pound them down to about 1/4" for starters. You can also use a veal
scallopini recipe and pretend you're eating with the gotrocks.
--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Rick Simms

On Thu, 13 May 2004 01:31:53 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

Spares take a few minutes more to prep and take about an hour longer
to cook. I've made a few converts from the bb crowd and the steamed
junk from the local eateries. Education is what it takes.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Ed,

How do you prep your spare ribs?

Rick Simms

"I love dogs, they do nothing for political reasons."

Will Rogers
Wayne

Steve Wertz > wrote in
:

:

>>> Baby back ribs are to chicken breasts, what spare-ribs are to
>>> chicken thighs.
>>>
>>> - Confusious 7:13

>>Well, I much prefer chicken thighs over chicken breasts, so I'll take
>>that as a good thing!

> Yes - that's what I implying. Dark meat chicken is much better
> than white meat. I forgot this was AFB where most people are
> thinking brined and smoked chicken breasts - which can indeed be
> good. For regular chicken cooking, though, dark meat rules.
>
> -sw

Absolutely. For regular chicken cooking, legs and thighs are far better
and I most often use them. However, my SO recently underwent quadruple
bypass surgery, so we have really stocked up on skinless, boneless,
chicken breasts (he won't eat any form of fish). I've finally found a
way to grill them that we actually enjoy. I pound them evenly flat
(about 3/8-1/2 inch thick), then marinate several hours or overnight in
lemon or lime juice, cracked black pepper, and herbs (frequently
tarragon). Just before cooking I brush them liberally with EVOO and
grill quickly. They come out with a bit of a nice char on the surface,
and are very tender and juicy. (I'd still rather have the thighs!)

--
Wayne

Big on natural foods?? 82.38% of people die of "natural" causes.
M&M

On 14-May-2004, Wayne > wrote:
<snipped all the previous post>

> Absolutely. For regular chicken cooking, legs and thighs are far better
> and I most often use them. However, my SO recently underwent quadruple
> bypass surgery, so we have really stocked up on skinless, boneless,
> chicken breasts (he won't eat any form of fish). I've finally found a
> way to grill them that we actually enjoy. I pound them evenly flat
> (about 3/8-1/2 inch thick), then marinate several hours or overnight in
> lemon or lime juice, cracked black pepper, and herbs (frequently
> tarragon). Just before cooking I brush them liberally with EVOO and
> grill quickly. They come out with a bit of a nice char on the surface,
> and are very tender and juicy. (I'd still rather have the thighs!)

Wayne, you want to check out chicken parmigiana and chicken
marsala. Both great ways to put some taste into chicken breasts.
(Can't you do a thigh or two at the same time?)

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Wayne

"M&M" > wrote in
:

> On 14-May-2004, Wayne > wrote:
> <snipped all the previous post>
>
>> Absolutely. For regular chicken cooking, legs and thighs are far
>> better and I most often use them. However, my SO recently underwent
>> quadruple bypass surgery, so we have really stocked up on skinless,
>> boneless, chicken breasts (he won't eat any form of fish). I've
>> finally found a way to grill them that we actually enjoy. I pound
>> them evenly flat (about 3/8-1/2 inch thick), then marinate several
>> hours or overnight in lemon or lime juice, cracked black pepper, and
>> herbs (frequently tarragon). Just before cooking I brush them
>> liberally with EVOO and grill quickly. They come out with a bit of a
>> nice char on the surface, and are very tender and juicy. (I'd still
>> rather have the thighs!)

> Wayne, you want to check out chicken parmigiana and chicken
> marsala. Both great ways to put some taste into chicken breasts.
> (Can't you do a thigh or two at the same time?)

Love both of those, but have never cooked them. I think the chicken
marsala would be an especially good choice and, yes, a couple of thighs
should work well, too. Thanks for the ideas!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

Big on natural foods?? 82.38% of people die of "natural" causes.

M&M

On 15-May-2004, Wayne > wrote:
> > M&M wrote:
> > Wayne, you want to check out chicken parmigiana and chicken
> > marsala. Both great ways to put some taste into chicken breasts.
> > (Can't you do a thigh or two at the same time?)
> >

> Love both of those, but have never cooked them. I think the chicken
> marsala would be an especially good choice and, yes, a couple of thighs
> should work well, too. Thanks for the ideas!
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix

Don't be intimidated by the book recipies Wayne. Chicken Marsala is
just a chicken breast(s) browned in a skillet and then finished by
braising in a wine sauce reduction. It doesn't have to be Marsala if you're
not a
purist. The Chicken Parmigiana starts out the same way, but is
finished topped with tomato sauce and cheese under the broiler.
Variations are endless, but you can follow your own lead.
--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Wayne

"M&M" > wrote in
:

> On 15-May-2004, Wayne > wrote:
>> > M&M wrote:
>> > Wayne, you want to check out chicken parmigiana and chicken
>> > marsala. Both great ways to put some taste into chicken breasts.
>> > (Can't you do a thigh or two at the same time?)
>> >

>> Love both of those, but have never cooked them. I think the chicken
>> marsala would be an especially good choice and, yes, a couple of
>> thighs should work well, too. Thanks for the ideas!
>>
>> --
>> Wayne in Phoenix

> Don't be intimidated by the book recipies Wayne. Chicken Marsala is
> just a chicken breast(s) browned in a skillet and then finished by
> braising in a wine sauce reduction. It doesn't have to be Marsala if
> you're not a
> purist. The Chicken Parmigiana starts out the same way, but is
> finished topped with tomato sauce and cheese under the broiler.
> Variations are endless, but you can follow your own lead.

Thanks. I'm not intimidated, and will probably make both of these.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

Big on natural foods?? 82.38% of people die of "natural" causes.
M&M

On 15-May-2004, Wayne > wrote:

> Thanks. I'm not intimidated, and will probably make both of these.

I probably chose the wrong word as usual. What I meant was that
the book recipies tend to use a long list of ingredients. In many
cases there will be two or three in the list that I don't have on hand.
You won't be disappointed if you keep it simple.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

Wayne

"M&M" > wrote in news:c87iir
:

> On 15-May-2004, Wayne > wrote:
>
>> Thanks. I'm not intimidated, and will probably make both of these.

> I probably chose the wrong word as usual. What I meant was that
> the book recipies tend to use a long list of ingredients. In many
> cases there will be two or three in the list that I don't have on hand.
> You won't be disappointed if you keep it simple.

No, cooking doesn't have to be that elaborate or complicated. I find
that some of our favorite dishes only contain a small handful of
ingredients. I do keep a well-stocked kitchen and pantry, though, so
usually only venture out for the main ingredients.

I'm intrigued about the chicken parmesan, however. I have ordered
chicken or veal or eggplant parmesan countless times in restaurants of
varying quality and expense, and I don't think it's ever been served
where the meat (or eggplant) was not "breaded" or coated in something
prior to frying it and assembling the dish for baking. Oddly enough,
just a couple of nights ago I was glancing through frozen entrees at the
supermarket and noticed a chicken parmesan dinner where the chicken was
grilled and not coated or fried.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

Big on natural foods?? 82.38% of people die of "natural" causes.
M&M

On 16-May-2004, Wayne > wrote:
<snip>
> I'm intrigued about the chicken parmesan, however. I have ordered
> chicken or veal or eggplant parmesan countless times in restaurants of
> varying quality and expense, and I don't think it's ever been served
> where the meat (or eggplant) was not "breaded" or coated in something
> prior to frying it and assembling the dish for baking. Oddly enough,
> just a couple of nights ago I was glancing through frozen entrees at the
> supermarket and noticed a chicken parmesan dinner where the chicken was
> grilled and not coated or fried.

I hate it when I run across something like that that should have been
obvious,
but I hadn't thought of it before. Who made the law that Chicken Parmesan
has to be breaded? Or not for that matter. Maybe somebody likes corn meal
or chopped cashews. I like them all. Variety is the spice of life. I hadn't
even
thought about my previous post espousing a non-traditional version of
chicken
parmigiana. And if I can't call my version by that name I don't care. I can
always
serve it as "chicken surprise".
--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")
Wayne

"M&M" > wrote in
:

> On 16-May-2004, Wayne > wrote:
> <snip>
>> I'm intrigued about the chicken parmesan, however. I have ordered
>> chicken or veal or eggplant parmesan countless times in restaurants
>> of varying quality and expense, and I don't think it's ever been
>> served where the meat (or eggplant) was not "breaded" or coated in
>> something prior to frying it and assembling the dish for baking.
>> Oddly enough, just a couple of nights ago I was glancing through
>> frozen entrees at the supermarket and noticed a chicken parmesan
>> dinner where the chicken was grilled and not coated or fried.

> I hate it when I run across something like that that should have been
> obvious,
> but I hadn't thought of it before. Who made the law that Chicken
> Parmesan has to be breaded? Or not for that matter. Maybe somebody
> likes corn meal or chopped cashews. I like them all. Variety is the
> spice of life. I hadn't even
> thought about my previous post espousing a non-traditional version of
> chicken
> parmigiana. And if I can't call my version by that name I don't care.
> I can always
> serve it as "chicken surprise".

Oh, I'd still call it Chicken Parmesan, and I'm sure it's just as tasty
if not tastier than the breaded variety. Certainly it's more "heart
smart".

--
Wayne in Phoenix

Big on natural foods?? 82.38% of people die of "natural" causes.
cory

Donna Rose wrote:

> According to the bag, they are pretty low in fat. A 1/2 ounce serving
> (which is more than what it sounds like, volume-wise, as they are pretty
> airy) has only 5 grams of fat. I used about half of a three ounce bag
> for 7 chicken thighs, so per serving it's about two grams of fat.

That converts to 35% fat.
Wayne

cory > wrote in
:

> Donna Rose wrote:
>>
>> According to the bag, they are pretty low in fat. A 1/2 ounce serving
>> (which is more than what it sounds like, volume-wise, as they are
>> pretty airy) has only 5 grams of fat. I used about half of a three
>> ounce bag for 7 chicken thighs, so per serving it's about two grams
>> of fat.

> That converts to 35% fat.

That may be true, but if you're counting total fat grams for dietary
purposes, the bottom line is total fat grams for the day. Planning is
everything. :-)

--
Wayne in Phoenix

Big on natural foods?? 82.38% of people die of "natural" causes.

Freezing baby backs? Bo Hica Barbecue 4 22-10-2006 10:19 PM
Baby Backs, 6 rax mtbchip Barbecue 0 03-12-2004 06:41 AM
Doing baby backs and pulled pork at once Dave W. Barbecue 19 07-08-2004 01:00 PM
Baby Backs $2.88 a pound! Bo Hica Barbecue 1 19-06-2004 03:43 PM