Dave W.

Default Doing baby backs and pulled pork at once

A query from a relative newbie to the smoking / BBQ world:

This weedend I decided to try my hand at doing pulled pork so I went to
Wallyworld and got a slightly less than 4 lb pork butt. I noticed a
rather small (about 2 lb) package of baby backs and thought maybe I
could do them along with the butt. I intended to do the butt at about
200 to 225 for, oh, who knows? 10, 12, 14, 16 hrs? Whatever it takes to
get up to about 190 deg internal and pull well.

I notice in the FAQ (and in some posts here in recent years) that people
say to smoke baby backs at a higher temp (350 or so) and for a shorter
time than spares. I also think it said in the FAQ that it is easier to
overcook baby backs. I certainly expect to pull the ribs out of the
smoker well before the butt is done .... but:

The question ... can I do the baby backs at 220 for a longer time than
one would normally cook them? Am I heading for trouble? What are
overcooked baby backs like?

Advice, tips, and such accepted with deep gratitude ....

Dave W.

--
In the Ozarks. Dot edu will do for email.
Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 15:35:55 -0500, "Dave W." >
wrote:

>The question ... can I do the baby backs at 220 for a longer time than
>one would normally cook them? Am I heading for trouble? What are
>overcooked baby backs like?

I wouldn't do it. Temp too low. The baby backs don't have enough fat.
They'll dry out.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
Kevin S. Wilson

wrote:

>The question ... can I do the baby backs at 220 for a longer time than
>one would normally cook them? Am I heading for trouble? What are
>overcooked baby backs like?

I wouldn't do it. Temp too low. The baby backs don't have enough fat.
They'll dry out.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"
Edwin Pawlowski

"Dave W." >
> wrote:
>
> >The question ... can I do the baby backs at 220 for a longer time than
> >one would normally cook them? Am I heading for trouble? What are
> >overcooked baby backs like?

Every have pork jerky? You'll be making pork jerky on a stick. Less of a
risk, but still chancy are spares as they have a bit more fat. Overdone,
though, is still over done.
Ed

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dave W." >
> wrote:
>
> >The question ... can I do the baby backs at 220 for a longer time than
> >one would normally cook them? Am I heading for trouble? What are
> >overcooked baby backs like?

Every have pork jerky? You'll be making pork jerky on a stick. Less of a
risk, but still chancy are spares as they have a bit more fat. Overdone,
though, is still over done.
Ed

Bubba

Dave W. wrote:
> A query from a relative newbie to the smoking / BBQ world:
>
> This weedend I decided to try my hand at doing pulled pork so I went to
> Wallyworld and got a slightly less than 4 lb pork butt. I noticed a
> rather small (about 2 lb) package of baby backs and thought maybe I
> could do them along with the butt. I intended to do the butt at about
> 200 to 225 for, oh, who knows? 10, 12, 14, 16 hrs? Whatever it takes to
> get up to about 190 deg internal and pull well.
>
> I notice in the FAQ (and in some posts here in recent years) that people
> say to smoke baby backs at a higher temp (350 or so) and for a shorter
> time than spares. I also think it said in the FAQ that it is easier to
> overcook baby backs. I certainly expect to pull the ribs out of the
> smoker well before the butt is done .... but:
>
> The question ... can I do the baby backs at 220 for a longer time than
> one would normally cook them? Am I heading for trouble? What are
> overcooked baby backs like?
>
> Advice, tips, and such accepted with deep gratitude ....
>
> Dave W.

My guess is your cooking for the two of you by the "small" sizes. Those
ribs should be OK after 4-5 hours. Ive done em on a WSM at around 220
and they were fine. If you can cook the butt above the ribs would be
helpful. Good Luck and think bigger cuts for leftovers.
Bubba

Dave W. wrote:
> A query from a relative newbie to the smoking / BBQ world:
>
> This weedend I decided to try my hand at doing pulled pork so I went to
> Wallyworld and got a slightly less than 4 lb pork butt. I noticed a
> rather small (about 2 lb) package of baby backs and thought maybe I
> could do them along with the butt. I intended to do the butt at about
> 200 to 225 for, oh, who knows? 10, 12, 14, 16 hrs? Whatever it takes to
> get up to about 190 deg internal and pull well.
>
> I notice in the FAQ (and in some posts here in recent years) that people
> say to smoke baby backs at a higher temp (350 or so) and for a shorter
> time than spares. I also think it said in the FAQ that it is easier to
> overcook baby backs. I certainly expect to pull the ribs out of the
> smoker well before the butt is done .... but:
>
> The question ... can I do the baby backs at 220 for a longer time than
> one would normally cook them? Am I heading for trouble? What are
> overcooked baby backs like?
>
> Advice, tips, and such accepted with deep gratitude ....
>
> Dave W.

My guess is your cooking for the two of you by the "small" sizes. Those
ribs should be OK after 4-5 hours. Ive done em on a WSM at around 220
and they were fine. If you can cook the butt above the ribs would be
helpful. Good Luck and think bigger cuts for leftovers.
BOB

Bob in socal wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 15:35:55 -0500, "Dave W." >
> wrote:
>
>> A query from a relative newbie to the smoking / BBQ world:
>>
>> This weedend I decided to try my hand at doing pulled pork so I went to
>> Wallyworld and got a slightly less than 4 lb pork butt. I noticed a
>> rather small (about 2 lb) package of baby backs and thought maybe I
>> could do them along with the butt. I intended to do the butt at about
>> 200 to 225 for, oh, who knows? 10, 12, 14, 16 hrs? Whatever it takes to
>> get up to about 190 deg internal and pull well.
>>
>> I notice in the FAQ (and in some posts here in recent years) that people
>> say to smoke baby backs at a higher temp (350 or so) and for a shorter
>> time than spares. I also think it said in the FAQ that it is easier to
>> overcook baby backs. I certainly expect to pull the ribs out of the
>> smoker well before the butt is done .... but:
>>
>> The question ... can I do the baby backs at 220 for a longer time than
>> one would normally cook them? Am I heading for trouble? What are
>> overcooked baby backs like?
>>
>> Advice, tips, and such accepted with deep gratitude ....
>>
>> Dave W.

> IMHO, I would load the ribs on the top grill and the butt on the
> lower. I would cook the ribs at whatever and not even worry
> about the butt till the ribs were done and out of the smoker.
> The butt has to get to 190-195 internal and if your temp goes
> up to 350 doing the ribs, so be it. There is no magic in 220
> for butts as has been discussed here many times.
>
> Worry about the ribs, the butt will be fine.
> __
>
> Socal Bob

Sounds good to me. Maybe lower the temp after the ribs are done if you really
think you have to?

BOB
or use two grills...I'm smoking a brisket @ 225 and a bunch of Dizzy Pig®
Jamaican Firewalk® wings at 375 as I type

BOB

Bob in socal wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 15:35:55 -0500, "Dave W." >
> wrote:
>
>> A query from a relative newbie to the smoking / BBQ world:
>>
>> This weedend I decided to try my hand at doing pulled pork so I went to
>> Wallyworld and got a slightly less than 4 lb pork butt. I noticed a
>> rather small (about 2 lb) package of baby backs and thought maybe I
>> could do them along with the butt. I intended to do the butt at about
>> 200 to 225 for, oh, who knows? 10, 12, 14, 16 hrs? Whatever it takes to
>> get up to about 190 deg internal and pull well.
>>
>> I notice in the FAQ (and in some posts here in recent years) that people
>> say to smoke baby backs at a higher temp (350 or so) and for a shorter
>> time than spares. I also think it said in the FAQ that it is easier to
>> overcook baby backs. I certainly expect to pull the ribs out of the
>> smoker well before the butt is done .... but:
>>
>> The question ... can I do the baby backs at 220 for a longer time than
>> one would normally cook them? Am I heading for trouble? What are
>> overcooked baby backs like?
>>
>> Advice, tips, and such accepted with deep gratitude ....
>>
>> Dave W.

> IMHO, I would load the ribs on the top grill and the butt on the
> lower. I would cook the ribs at whatever and not even worry
> about the butt till the ribs were done and out of the smoker.
> The butt has to get to 190-195 internal and if your temp goes
> up to 350 doing the ribs, so be it. There is no magic in 220
> for butts as has been discussed here many times.
>
> Worry about the ribs, the butt will be fine.
> __
>
> Socal Bob

Sounds good to me. Maybe lower the temp after the ribs are done if you really
think you have to?

BOB
or use two grills...I'm smoking a brisket @ 225 and a bunch of Dizzy Pig®
Jamaican Firewalk® wings at 375 as I type

Kevin S. Wilson

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 23:19:45 GMT, Bob in socal >
wrote:

>IMHO, I would load the ribs on the top grill and the butt on the
>lower. I would cook the ribs at whatever and not even worry
>about the butt till the ribs were done and out of the smoker.
>The butt has to get to 190-195 internal and if your temp goes
>up to 350 doing the ribs, so be it. There is no magic in 220
>for butts as has been discussed here many times.

That's the best advice I've seen in this thread so far, including
mine. However, I don't remember if you said what you were cooking on,
so I don't know if you'll be able to moderate the temp after the ribs
are done. I would want to be able to bring the temp down (though not
to 220) so that I could continue to low-and-slow the butts, if only to
ensure that the fat got rendered.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"

Kevin S. Wilson

wrote:

>IMHO, I would load the ribs on the top grill and the butt on the
>lower. I would cook the ribs at whatever and not even worry
>about the butt till the ribs were done and out of the smoker.
>The butt has to get to 190-195 internal and if your temp goes
>up to 350 doing the ribs, so be it. There is no magic in 220
>for butts as has been discussed here many times.

That's the best advice I've seen in this thread so far, including
mine. However, I don't remember if you said what you were cooking on,
so I don't know if you'll be able to moderate the temp after the ribs
are done. I would want to be able to bring the temp down (though not
to 220) so that I could continue to low-and-slow the butts, if only to
ensure that the fat got rendered.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
"Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?"
M&M

On 6-Aug-2004, "Dave W." > wrote:

> A query from a relative newbie to the smoking / BBQ world:
>
> This weedend I decided to try my hand at doing pulled pork so I went to
> Wallyworld and got a slightly less than 4 lb pork butt. I noticed a
> rather small (about 2 lb) package of baby backs and thought maybe I
> could do them along with the butt. I intended to do the butt at about
> 200 to 225 for, oh, who knows? 10, 12, 14, 16 hrs? Whatever it takes to
> get up to about 190 deg internal and pull well.
>
> I notice in the FAQ (and in some posts here in recent years) that people
> say to smoke baby backs at a higher temp (350 or so) and for a shorter
> time than spares. I also think it said in the FAQ that it is easier to
> overcook baby backs. I certainly expect to pull the ribs out of the
> smoker well before the butt is done .... but:
>
> The question ... can I do the baby backs at 220 for a longer time than
> one would normally cook them? Am I heading for trouble? What are
> overcooked baby backs like?
>
> Advice, tips, and such accepted with deep gratitude ....
>
> Dave W.
>
> --
> In the Ozarks. Dot edu will do for email.

Damn, this comes up all to often. Cook at whatever temp you
like and take it off when it's done. There's nothing wrong with
low and slow, but it don't have anything to do with historical
'Q'. Picture a spit over an open fire out on the prairie. Some
of us here cook at higher temps. It's done when it's done. Be
sure to take it off when it is. Don't keep fooling with it. Peeking
ain't cooking. Give it enough time to get close. Use a digital
therm if you can get one. If not, use the wiggle bone/twist
fork test, but only late in the cook. Don't use any kind of fork
on your meat before it's near done. It'll bleed to death if you do.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

M&M

On 6-Aug-2004, "Dave W." > wrote:

> A query from a relative newbie to the smoking / BBQ world:
>
> This weedend I decided to try my hand at doing pulled pork so I went to
> Wallyworld and got a slightly less than 4 lb pork butt. I noticed a
> rather small (about 2 lb) package of baby backs and thought maybe I
> could do them along with the butt. I intended to do the butt at about
> 200 to 225 for, oh, who knows? 10, 12, 14, 16 hrs? Whatever it takes to
> get up to about 190 deg internal and pull well.
>
> I notice in the FAQ (and in some posts here in recent years) that people
> say to smoke baby backs at a higher temp (350 or so) and for a shorter
> time than spares. I also think it said in the FAQ that it is easier to
> overcook baby backs. I certainly expect to pull the ribs out of the
> smoker well before the butt is done .... but:
>
> The question ... can I do the baby backs at 220 for a longer time than
> one would normally cook them? Am I heading for trouble? What are
> overcooked baby backs like?
>
> Advice, tips, and such accepted with deep gratitude ....
>
> Dave W.
>
> --
> In the Ozarks. Dot edu will do for email.

Damn, this comes up all to often. Cook at whatever temp you
like and take it off when it's done. There's nothing wrong with
low and slow, but it don't have anything to do with historical
'Q'. Picture a spit over an open fire out on the prairie. Some
of us here cook at higher temps. It's done when it's done. Be
sure to take it off when it is. Don't keep fooling with it. Peeking
ain't cooking. Give it enough time to get close. Use a digital
therm if you can get one. If not, use the wiggle bone/twist
fork test, but only late in the cook. Don't use any kind of fork
on your meat before it's near done. It'll bleed to death if you do.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

M&M

On 6-Aug-2004, "Dave W." > wrote:

> A query from a relative newbie to the smoking / BBQ world:
>
> This weedend I decided to try my hand at doing pulled pork so I went to
> Wallyworld and got a slightly less than 4 lb pork butt. I noticed a
> rather small (about 2 lb) package of baby backs and thought maybe I
> could do them along with the butt. I intended to do the butt at about
> 200 to 225 for, oh, who knows? 10, 12, 14, 16 hrs? Whatever it takes to
> get up to about 190 deg internal and pull well.
>
> I notice in the FAQ (and in some posts here in recent years) that people
> say to smoke baby backs at a higher temp (350 or so) and for a shorter
> time than spares. I also think it said in the FAQ that it is easier to
> overcook baby backs. I certainly expect to pull the ribs out of the
> smoker well before the butt is done .... but:
>
> The question ... can I do the baby backs at 220 for a longer time than
> one would normally cook them? Am I heading for trouble? What are
> overcooked baby backs like?
>
> Advice, tips, and such accepted with deep gratitude ....
>
> Dave W.
>
> --
> In the Ozarks. Dot edu will do for email.

Damn, this comes up all to often. Cook at whatever temp you
like and take it off when it's done. There's nothing wrong with
low and slow, but it don't have anything to do with historical
'Q'. Picture a spit over an open fire out on the prairie. Some
of us here cook at higher temps. It's done when it's done. Be
sure to take it off when it is. Don't keep fooling with it. Peeking
ain't cooking. Give it enough time to get close. Use a digital
therm if you can get one. If not, use the wiggle bone/twist
fork test, but only late in the cook. Don't use any kind of fork
on your meat before it's near done. It'll bleed to death if you do.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

M&M

On 6-Aug-2004, Bob in socal > wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 15:35:55 -0500, "Dave W." >
> wrote:
>
> >A query from a relative newbie to the smoking / BBQ world:
> >
> >This weedend I decided to try my hand at doing pulled pork so I went to
> >Wallyworld and got a slightly less than 4 lb pork butt. I noticed a
> >rather small (about 2 lb) package of baby backs and thought maybe I
> >could do them along with the butt. I intended to do the butt at about
> >200 to 225 for, oh, who knows? 10, 12, 14, 16 hrs? Whatever it takes to
> >get up to about 190 deg internal and pull well.
> >
> >I notice in the FAQ (and in some posts here in recent years) that people
> >say to smoke baby backs at a higher temp (350 or so) and for a shorter
> >time than spares. I also think it said in the FAQ that it is easier to
> >overcook baby backs. I certainly expect to pull the ribs out of the
> >smoker well before the butt is done .... but:
> >
> >The question ... can I do the baby backs at 220 for a longer time than
> >one would normally cook them? Am I heading for trouble? What are
> >overcooked baby backs like?
> >
> >Advice, tips, and such accepted with deep gratitude ....
> >
> >Dave W.

> IMHO, I would load the ribs on the top grill and the butt on the
> lower. I would cook the ribs at whatever and not even worry
> about the butt till the ribs were done and out of the smoker.
> The butt has to get to 190-195 internal and if your temp goes
> up to 350 doing the ribs, so be it. There is no magic in 220
> for butts as has been discussed here many times.
>
> Worry about the ribs, the butt will be fine.
> __
>
> Socal Bob

Great advice Socal Bob. The butts will come out just fine.
The ribs are a little more critical. The important point is to
get them off when they're just done. Ribs don't have a lot
of leeway.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

M&M

On 6-Aug-2004, Bob in socal > wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 15:35:55 -0500, "Dave W." >
> wrote:
>
> >A query from a relative newbie to the smoking / BBQ world:
> >
> >This weedend I decided to try my hand at doing pulled pork so I went to
> >Wallyworld and got a slightly less than 4 lb pork butt. I noticed a
> >rather small (about 2 lb) package of baby backs and thought maybe I
> >could do them along with the butt. I intended to do the butt at about
> >200 to 225 for, oh, who knows? 10, 12, 14, 16 hrs? Whatever it takes to
> >get up to about 190 deg internal and pull well.
> >
> >I notice in the FAQ (and in some posts here in recent years) that people
> >say to smoke baby backs at a higher temp (350 or so) and for a shorter
> >time than spares. I also think it said in the FAQ that it is easier to
> >overcook baby backs. I certainly expect to pull the ribs out of the
> >smoker well before the butt is done .... but:
> >
> >The question ... can I do the baby backs at 220 for a longer time than
> >one would normally cook them? Am I heading for trouble? What are
> >overcooked baby backs like?
> >
> >Advice, tips, and such accepted with deep gratitude ....
> >
> >Dave W.

> IMHO, I would load the ribs on the top grill and the butt on the
> lower. I would cook the ribs at whatever and not even worry
> about the butt till the ribs were done and out of the smoker.
> The butt has to get to 190-195 internal and if your temp goes
> up to 350 doing the ribs, so be it. There is no magic in 220
> for butts as has been discussed here many times.
>
> Worry about the ribs, the butt will be fine.
> __
>
> Socal Bob

Great advice Socal Bob. The butts will come out just fine.
The ribs are a little more critical. The important point is to
get them off when they're just done. Ribs don't have a lot
of leeway.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

Dave W.

In article >,
"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Dave W." >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >The question ... can I do the baby backs at 220 for a longer time than
> > >one would normally cook them? Am I heading for trouble? What are
> > >overcooked baby backs like?

> Every have pork jerky? You'll be making pork jerky on a stick. Less of a
> risk, but still chancy are spares as they have a bit more fat. Overdone,
> though, is still over done.
> Ed

Hmmm ... never have had pork jerky, but I'll try anything. ;^)

On second thought, I'll be careful not to overcook them. Thanks.

Dave W.

--
In the Ozarks. Dot edu will do for email.
Dave W.

In article >,
"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Dave W." >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >The question ... can I do the baby backs at 220 for a longer time than
> > >one would normally cook them? Am I heading for trouble? What are
> > >overcooked baby backs like?

> Every have pork jerky? You'll be making pork jerky on a stick. Less of a
> risk, but still chancy are spares as they have a bit more fat. Overdone,
> though, is still over done.
> Ed

Hmmm ... never have had pork jerky, but I'll try anything. ;^)

On second thought, I'll be careful not to overcook them. Thanks.

Dave W.

--
In the Ozarks. Dot edu will do for email.
Dave W.

In article >,
Kevin S. Wilson > wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 23:19:45 GMT, Bob in socal >
> wrote:
>
> >IMHO, I would load the ribs on the top grill and the butt on the
> >lower. I would cook the ribs at whatever and not even worry
> >about the butt till the ribs were done and out of the smoker.
> >The butt has to get to 190-195 internal and if your temp goes
> >up to 350 doing the ribs, so be it. There is no magic in 220
> >for butts as has been discussed here many times.

> That's the best advice I've seen in this thread so far, including
> mine. However, I don't remember if you said what you were cooking on,
> so I don't know if you'll be able to moderate the temp after the ribs
> are done. I would want to be able to bring the temp down (though not
> to 220) so that I could continue to low-and-slow the butts, if only to
> ensure that the fat got rendered.

This is a Lazy-Que setup ... electric with a stainless steel pan set on
the single element the temp of which is controlled by a rheostat (sp?).
I'll soak some hickory chips for the pan and smoke early and lightly.

I think Bob's advice makes a lot of sense and, as you and that other Bob
suggest, I can drop the temp after the ribs are done. So the plan is
ribs on the top rack, the butt under that, and a pan of hot water under
that, over the smoke pan.

Thanks to all for the good advice. I'll tell you if anything remarkable
happens ... meanwhile I'll continue to read and learn.

Dave W.

--
In the Ozarks. Dot edu will do for email.
Dave W.

baby backs vs spares frohe Barbecue 9 06-07-2005 03:20 AM
Baby Backs, 6 rax mtbchip Barbecue 0 03-12-2004 06:41 AM
Baby Backs $2.88 a pound! Bo Hica Barbecue 1 19-06-2004 03:43 PM
Another pork cut like baby backs? John Crankshaw Barbecue 38 18-05-2004 04:16 AM