Edwin Pawlowski

Default Another pork cut like baby backs?

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message

> Jason in Dallas wrote:
>
> > They're worth what the market says they're worth. Since they're
> > delicious and in short supply compared to the yield of the hog they
> > aren't cheap. Pig ears are in even shorter supply, but since they're
> > nasty they're cheap. It's all a matter of taste but BBs are most
> > certianly not over-rated.

> Jason is correct about the demand thing. And babybacks are certainly

tasty,
> along with being easier and quicker to bbq.
>
> What facinates me is the fact that demand is driven sooo much by
> perception, convenience and lack of knowledge.

Baby backs are over rated because a lot of people just don't know how to
cook spares properly. As for the chains, probably 99.9% don't cook them
right. Some years ago, I would have agreed. Then I was able to turn out
the spares better and better to the point they are superior in flavor and
tenderness and you get a lot more meat for the buck.

Spares take a few minutes more to prep and take about an hour longer to
cook. I've made a few converts from the bb crowd and the steamed junk from
the local eateries. Education is what it takes.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome