Old 04-04-2007, 02:11 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Chablis, Bourgogne, Trebbiano

Monday I opened a 375 of white as an apertif. I have generally liked
the Gilbert Picq wines, but the 2005 Picq Chablis wasn't thrilling.
Plenty of ripe fruit, but not a lot of minerality, and seemed a tad
fat. Tasted on following night it seemed even rounder, without a bit
of zip to give it more liveliness. B-

Dinner was a simple roast chicken from Keller's Bouchon cookbook,
along with macaroni & cheese and brussels sprouts. I opened the 2005
Sylvain Pataille Bourgogne. You know how people are always buying the
"wrong" Roumier, Dauvissat, or Lignier? This is first time I ever
bought based on wrong first name- I realized after buying it I was
thinking about Sylvain Cathiard. Never heard of this producer, might
as well try. A little oak on the nose, but not vanillay- mostly the
nose is a pretty rush of crushed raspberries. The palate is a little
less exciting- nice enough ripe red plum and black cherry fruit, but
without the exoticism of the nose. Still, a nice balanced Bourgogne
with enough acidity to make it food friendly. I've made worse mistakes
A little sip on night 2 seems unevolved- will try again tonight. B/B+

Tuesday's dinner was an Italian recipe of prawns (well, jumbo shrimp)
in a tomato/pancetta sauce, with broccoli rabe. Needed a half-bottle
of white for recipe, so I chose an inexpensive Italian, the 2005 Dario
D'Angelo Trebbiano d' Abruzzo. We served with dinner, and I actually
found it a pleasant surprise (my expectations for $6 Trebbiano are
limited). Good crispness, light pear fruit, a hint of nuttiness. I
hestitate to say that Italian whites (certainly a vast array) share
any common characteristics, but it does seem I get that almond meets
cashew nut aroma on the finish of IT whites ranging from Greco di Tufo
and Fiano to Arneis. Anyway, there's nothing complex here- Pepe and
Valentini have nothing to fear- but at $6 before mixed case discount
quite a bargain. Unfortunately, looks like sold out. B

Old 04-04-2007, 02:13 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 4, 9:11�am, "DaleW" wrote:
[...]

Dale, May I ask what the relative price tag was on the burg?

Old 04-04-2007, 03:05 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 4, 9:13?am, "Bi!!" wrote:
On Apr 4, 9:11?am, "DaleW" wrote:

[...]

Dale, May I ask what the relative price tag was on the burg?- Hide quoted text -

Somewhere in the $16-18 range, it was a 20% off sale at Zachys (which
might equal regular retail some other places).

Old 05-04-2007, 02:29 AM posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
Monday I opened a 375 of white as an apertif. I have generally liked
the Gilbert Picq wines, but the 2005 Picq Chablis wasn't thrilling.
Plenty of ripe fruit, but not a lot of minerality, and seemed a tad
fat. Tasted on following night it seemed even rounder, without a bit
of zip to give it more liveliness. B-

Dale, do you see this as a function of producer or vintage? Is '05
going to turn out to be a bit too hot for Chablis?

Mark Lipton
Old 05-04-2007, 06:39 AM posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 4, 9:29�pm, Mark Lipton wrote:
DaleW wrote:
Monday I opened a 375 of white as an apertif. I have generally liked
the Gilbert Picq wines, but the 2005 Picq Chablis wasn't thrilling.
Plenty of ripe fruit, but not a lot of minerality, and seemed a tad
fat. Tasted on following night it seemed even rounder, without a bit
of zip to give it more liveliness. B-

Dale, do you see this as a function of producer or vintage? *Is '05
going to turn out to be a bit too hot for Chablis?

Mark Lipton

I've liked Picq before. I think Gilman felt that Chablis has some
great wines, but not the consistency of 2004. Will look up tomorrow.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:44 AM posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 4, 9:11�am, "DaleW" wrote:
[...]

So,for Wed dinner Betsy made brisket and matzoh ball soup (with
leftover mac'n'cheese and storebought geflite fish) for Dave's return
from Scotland. I was driving on a Midnight Run, and so only had a half
glass of wine- the leftover Bourgogne. On night 3 it had picked up
some earth and sandalwood notes, fruit still bright, oxidation
minimal. I'm now having another glass (technically day 4), nice Burg.
I'll raise to B+

Old 05-04-2007, 02:15 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 5, 1:44?am, "DaleW" wrote:
On Apr 4, 9:11?am, "DaleW" wrote:

[...]

I'll raise to B+- Hide quoted text -

That's a pretty good showing for a Burg under $20.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:05 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 5, 9:15?am, "Bi!!" wrote:
On Apr 5, 1:44?am, "DaleW" wrote:

On Apr 4, 9:11?am, "DaleW" wrote:

[...]

That's a pretty good showing for a Burg under $20.- Hide quoted text -

I haven't tasted much yet, but the rep of 2005 reds seems to be the
uniformity from top to bottom. Gilman, Kolm, Meadows all seem to agree
that it is a very strong vintage on the lower end. As prices are
outrageous on higher end, that's comforting to me. I bought a few
bottles of Clos de Lambrays at opening prices - and that's the end of
the GCs for me. Doubt many 1ers, either, at prices I see. But
hopefully I can find some Bourgognes and village wines (and maybe 1er
Savignys or the like) that satisfy.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:55 PM posted to alt.food.wine

In article .com,
"DaleW" wrote:

On Apr 4, 9:11�am, "DaleW" wrote:
[...]

Dale that is the strangest Passover meal I've ever seen. Matzoh Ball
soup, gefilte fish and mac and cheese! Was there a kosher wine with that?

Old 05-04-2007, 07:05 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 5, 11:55�am, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
In article .com,

*"DaleW" wrote:
On Apr 4, 9:11�am, "DaleW" wrote:
[...]

soup, gefilte fish and mac and cheese! Was there a kosher wine with that?- Hide quoted text -

A weird combo of events:
1)Betsy makes her grandmother's brisket recipe every Passover.
2)Often we are invited to a real Seder, where I get my annual gefilte
fix, but with David out of town and Betsy's schedule we had a conflict
this year.
3)David and Betsy don't like the fish, but love Matzoh ball soup.
4) We had LOTS of leftover mac and cheese (she made Monday for dinner
for two, the Gourmet Cookbook recipe that could feed 15).
5) With all of above, she had a meeting in city at 11 and was then
picking up David on his flight from Scotland around 2. She made soup
night before and put brisket in oven (I came home and removed). We all
converged for a quick meal (she had to go in for evening show), and
were happy with the mac and cheese as a non-traditional side (well,
think of it as savory noodle kugel).
To top it off, I forgot to bring home a Haggadah- we didn't have time
for questions anyway!

And no, no kosher wine, just a sip of the leftover Burg. Though in the
past I've liked the kosher cuvee of Leoville-Poyferre.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:17 PM posted to alt.food.wine

*"DaleW" wrote:
On Apr 4, 9:11�am, "DaleW" wrote:
[...]

That all sounds even stranger than our pseudo-Sedar though we kept to no
bread products. Because I too made a brisket we had 2003 Segal's Special
Reserve cabernet sauvingon that was quite good. Hagafen Russian River
Chardonnay done in a French style with Matzoh ball soup and gefilte fish
and haroset. Nothing with the chrain.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:53 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 5, 3:17�pm, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
In article .com,

*"DaleW" wrote:
On Apr 4, 9:11�am, "DaleW" wrote:
[...]

and haroset. Nothing with the chrain.- Hide quoted text -

I told Betsy I wasn't sure if pasta was leavened, but this sure wasn't
a seder in any case.
Where is the Segal's from?

Old 05-04-2007, 09:02 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 4, 9:11 am, "DaleW" wrote:
[...]

The only thing Valentini has to fear is increase in the exchange rate.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:05 PM posted to alt.food.wine

*"DaleW" wrote:
On Apr 4, 9:11�am, "DaleW" wrote:
[...]

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent
promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.

[...]

Pasta is leavened. Segal is from Israel.

TN: Mostly Nebbiolo (plus Champagne, Trebbiano, Sauternes) DaleW Wine 0 12-04-2012 03:57 PM
TN: smoke Zin, Chablis, and Bourgogne DaleW Wine 1 12-10-2010 09:58 PM
FAQ Bourgogne Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 15 12-08-2008 02:21 AM
TN: '00 Bourgogne, '95 CdP DaleW Wine 7 27-09-2006 10:12 AM
[OT] Bourgogne, anyone? Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 11 18-10-2003 12:49 PM