Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Chablis, Bourgogne, Trebbiano

On Apr 5, 11:55�am, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article .com>,
>

> *"DaleW" > wrote:
> > On Apr 4, 9:11�am, "DaleW" > wrote:
> > > Monday I opened a 375 of white as an apertif. I have generally liked
> > > the Gilbert Picq wines, but the 2005 Picq Chablis wasn't thrilling.
> > > Plenty of ripe fruit, but not a lot of minerality, and seemed a tad
> > > fat. Tasted on following night it seemed even rounder, without a bit
> > > of zip to give it more liveliness. B-

> > > Dinner was a simple roast *chicken from Keller's Bouchon cookbook,
> > > along with macaroni & cheese and brussels sprouts. I opened the 2005
> > > Sylvain Pataille Bourgogne. You know how people are always buying the
> > > "wrong" Roumier, Dauvissat, or Lignier? This is first time I ever
> > > bought based on wrong first name- I realized after buying it I was
> > > thinking about Sylvain Cathiard. Never heard of this producer, might
> > > as well try. A little oak on the nose, but not vanillay- mostly the
> > > nose is a pretty rush of crushed raspberries. The palate is a little
> > > less exciting- nice enough ripe red plum and black cherry fruit, but
> > > without the exoticism of the nose. Still, a nice balanced Bourgogne
> > > with enough acidity to make it food friendly. I've made worse mistakes
> > > A little sip on night 2 seems unevolved- will try again tonight. B/B+

> > > Tuesday's dinner was an Italian recipe of *prawns (well, jumbo shrimp)
> > > in *a tomato/pancetta sauce, with broccoli rabe. Needed a half-bottle
> > > of white for recipe, so I chose an inexpensive Italian, the 2005 Dario
> > > D'Angelo Trebbiano d' Abruzzo. We served with dinner, and I actually
> > > found it a pleasant surprise (my expectations for $6 Trebbiano are
> > > limited). Good crispness, light pear fruit, a hint of nuttiness. I
> > > hestitate to say that Italian whites (certainly a vast array) share
> > > any common characteristics, but it does seem I get that almond meets
> > > cashew nut aroma on the finish of IT whites ranging from Greco di Tufo
> > > and Fiano *to Arneis. *Anyway, there's nothing complex here- Pepe and
> > > Valentini have nothing to fear- but at $6 before mixed case discount
> > > quite a bargain. Unfortunately, looks like sold out. * * B

> > > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

> > So,for Wed dinner Betsy made brisket and matzoh ball soup (with
> > leftover mac'n'cheese and storebought geflite fish) for Dave's return
> > from Scotland. I was driving on a Midnight Run, and so only had a half
> > glass of wine- the leftover Bourgogne. On night 3 it had picked up
> > some earth and sandalwood notes, fruit still bright, oxidation
> > minimal. I'm now having another glass (technically day 4), nice Burg.
> > I'll raise to B+

> Dale that is the strangest Passover meal I've ever seen. Matzoh Ball
> [...]

A weird combo of events:
1)Betsy makes her grandmother's brisket recipe every Passover.
2)Often we are invited to a real Seder, where I get my annual gefilte
fix, but with David out of town and Betsy's schedule we had a conflict
this year.
3)David and Betsy don't like the fish, but love Matzoh ball soup.
4) We had LOTS of leftover mac and cheese (she made Monday for dinner
for two, the Gourmet Cookbook recipe that could feed 15).
5) With all of above, she had a meeting in city at 11 and was then
picking up David on his flight from Scotland around 2. She made soup
night before and put brisket in oven (I came home and removed). We all
converged for a quick meal (she had to go in for evening show), and
were happy with the mac and cheese as a non-traditional side (well,
think of it as savory noodle kugel).
To top it off, I forgot to bring home a Haggadah- we didn't have time
for questions anyway!

And no, no kosher wine, just a sip of the leftover Burg. Though in the
past I've liked the kosher cuvee of Leoville-Poyferre.