Old 05-04-2007, 02:15 PM posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default TN: Chablis, Bourgogne, Trebbiano

On Apr 5, 1:44?am, "DaleW" wrote:
On Apr 4, 9:11?am, "DaleW" wrote:

Monday I opened a 375 of white as an apertif. I have generally liked
the Gilbert Picq wines, but the 2005 Picq Chablis wasn't thrilling.
Plenty of ripe fruit, but not a lot of minerality, and seemed a tad
fat. Tasted on following night it seemed even rounder, without a bit
of zip to give it more liveliness. B-

Dinner was a simple roast ?chicken from Keller's Bouchon cookbook,
along with macaroni & cheese and brussels sprouts. I opened the 2005
Sylvain Pataille Bourgogne. You know how people are always buying the
"wrong" Roumier, Dauvissat, or Lignier? This is first time I ever
bought based on wrong first name- I realized after buying it I was
thinking about Sylvain Cathiard. Never heard of this producer, might
as well try. A little oak on the nose, but not vanillay- mostly the
nose is a pretty rush of crushed raspberries. The palate is a little
less exciting- nice enough ripe red plum and black cherry fruit, but
without the exoticism of the nose. Still, a nice balanced Bourgogne
with enough acidity to make it food friendly. I've made worse mistakes
A little sip on night 2 seems unevolved- will try again tonight. B/B+

Tuesday's dinner was an Italian recipe of ?prawns (well, jumbo shrimp)
in ?a tomato/pancetta sauce, with broccoli rabe. Needed a half-bottle
of white for recipe, so I chose an inexpensive Italian, the 2005 Dario
D'Angelo Trebbiano d' Abruzzo. We served with dinner, and I actually
found it a pleasant surprise (my expectations for $6 Trebbiano are
limited). Good crispness, light pear fruit, a hint of nuttiness. I
hestitate to say that Italian whites (certainly a vast array) share
any common characteristics, but it does seem I get that almond meets
cashew nut aroma on the finish of IT whites ranging from Greco di Tufo
and Fiano ?to Arneis. ?Anyway, there's nothing complex here- Pepe and
Valentini have nothing to fear- but at $6 before mixed case discount
quite a bargain. Unfortunately, looks like sold out. ? ? B

So,for Wed dinner Betsy made brisket and matzoh ball soup (with
leftover mac'n'cheese and storebought geflite fish) for Dave's return
from Scotland. I was driving on a Midnight Run, and so only had a half
glass of wine- the leftover Bourgogne. On night 3 it had picked up
some earth and sandalwood notes, fruit still bright, oxidation
minimal. I'm now having another glass (technically day 4), nice Burg.
I'll raise to B+- Hide quoted text -

That's a pretty good showing for a Burg under $20.