Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Chablis, Bourgogne, Trebbiano

On Apr 4, 9:11�am, "DaleW" > wrote:
> Monday I opened a 375 of white as an apertif. I have generally liked
> the Gilbert Picq wines, but the 2005 Picq Chablis wasn't thrilling.
> Plenty of ripe fruit, but not a lot of minerality, and seemed a tad
> fat. Tasted on following night it seemed even rounder, without a bit
> of zip to give it more liveliness. B-
>
> Dinner was a simple roast *chicken from Keller's Bouchon cookbook,
> along with macaroni & cheese and brussels sprouts. I opened the 2005
> Sylvain Pataille Bourgogne. You know how people are always buying the
> "wrong" Roumier, Dauvissat, or Lignier? This is first time I ever
> bought based on wrong first name- I realized after buying it I was
> thinking about Sylvain Cathiard. Never heard of this producer, might
> as well try. A little oak on the nose, but not vanillay- mostly the
> nose is a pretty rush of crushed raspberries. The palate is a little
> less exciting- nice enough ripe red plum and black cherry fruit, but
> without the exoticism of the nose. Still, a nice balanced Bourgogne
> with enough acidity to make it food friendly. I've made worse mistakes
> A little sip on night 2 seems unevolved- will try again tonight. B/B+
>
> Tuesday's dinner was an Italian recipe of *prawns (well, jumbo shrimp)
> in *a tomato/pancetta sauce, with broccoli rabe. Needed a half-bottle
> of white for recipe, so I chose an inexpensive Italian, the 2005 Dario
> D'Angelo Trebbiano d' Abruzzo. We served with dinner, and I actually
> found it a pleasant surprise (my expectations for $6 Trebbiano are
> limited). Good crispness, light pear fruit, a hint of nuttiness. I
> hestitate to say that Italian whites (certainly a vast array) share
> any common characteristics, but it does seem I get that almond meets
> cashew nut aroma on the finish of IT whites ranging from Greco di Tufo
> and Fiano *to Arneis. *Anyway, there's nothing complex here- Pepe and
> Valentini have nothing to fear- but at $6 before mixed case discount
> quite a bargain. Unfortunately, looks like sold out. * * B
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

So,for Wed dinner Betsy made brisket and matzoh ball soup (with
leftover mac'n'cheese and storebought geflite fish) for Dave's return
from Scotland. I was driving on a Midnight Run, and so only had a half
glass of wine- the leftover Bourgogne. On night 3 it had picked up
some earth and sandalwood notes, fruit still bright, oxidation
minimal. I'm now having another glass (technically day 4), nice Burg.
I'll raise to B+