Old 05-04-2007, 08:53 PM posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Chablis, Bourgogne, Trebbiano

On Apr 5, 3:17�pm, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
In article .com,

*"DaleW" wrote:
On Apr 5, 11:55�am, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
In article .com,

*"DaleW" wrote:
On Apr 4, 9:11�am, "DaleW" wrote:
Monday I opened a 375 of white as an apertif. I have generally liked
the Gilbert Picq wines, but the 2005 Picq Chablis wasn't thrilling.
Plenty of ripe fruit, but not a lot of minerality, and seemed a tad
fat. Tasted on following night it seemed even rounder, without a bit
of zip to give it more liveliness. B-

Dinner was a simple roast *chicken from Keller's Bouchon cookbook,
along with macaroni & cheese and brussels sprouts. I opened the 2005
Sylvain Pataille Bourgogne. You know how people are always buying the
"wrong" Roumier, Dauvissat, or Lignier? This is first time I ever
bought based on wrong first name- I realized after buying it I was
thinking about Sylvain Cathiard. Never heard of this producer, might
as well try. A little oak on the nose, but not vanillay- mostly the
nose is a pretty rush of crushed raspberries. The palate is a little
less exciting- nice enough ripe red plum and black cherry fruit, but
without the exoticism of the nose. Still, a nice balanced Bourgogne
with enough acidity to make it food friendly. I've made worse mistakes
A little sip on night 2 seems unevolved- will try again tonight. B/B+

Tuesday's dinner was an Italian recipe of *prawns (well, jumbo shrimp)
in *a tomato/pancetta sauce, with broccoli rabe. Needed a half-bottle
of white for recipe, so I chose an inexpensive Italian, the 2005 Dario
D'Angelo Trebbiano d' Abruzzo. We served with dinner, and I actually
found it a pleasant surprise (my expectations for $6 Trebbiano are
limited). Good crispness, light pear fruit, a hint of nuttiness. I
hestitate to say that Italian whites (certainly a vast array) share
any common characteristics, but it does seem I get that almond meets
cashew nut aroma on the finish of IT whites ranging from Greco di Tufo
and Fiano *to Arneis. *Anyway, there's nothing complex here- Pepe and
Valentini have nothing to fear- but at $6 before mixed case discount
quite a bargain. Unfortunately, looks like sold out. * * B

So,for Wed dinner Betsy made brisket and matzoh ball soup (with
leftover mac'n'cheese and storebought geflite fish) for Dave's return
from Scotland. I was driving on a Midnight Run, and so only had a half
glass of wine- the leftover Bourgogne. On night 3 it had picked up
some earth and sandalwood notes, fruit still bright, oxidation
minimal. I'm now having another glass (technically day 4), nice Burg.
I'll raise to B+

Dale that is the strangest Passover meal I've ever seen. Matzoh Ball
soup, gefilte fish and mac and cheese! Was there a kosher wine with that?-

A weird combo of events:
1)Betsy makes her grandmother's brisket recipe every Passover.
2)Often we are invited to a real Seder, where I get my annual gefilte
fix, but with David out of town and Betsy's schedule we had a conflict
this year.
3)David and Betsy don't like the fish, but love Matzoh ball soup.
4) We had LOTS of leftover mac and cheese (she made Monday for dinner
for two, the Gourmet Cookbook recipe that could feed 15).
5) With all of above, she had a meeting in city at 11 and was then
picking up David on his flight from Scotland around 2. She made soup
night before and put brisket in oven (I came home and removed). We all
converged for a quick meal (she had to go in for evening show), and
were happy with the mac and cheese as a non-traditional side (well,
think of it as savory noodle kugel).
To top it off, I forgot to bring home a Haggadah- we didn't have time
for questions anyway!

And no, no kosher wine, just a sip of the leftover Burg. Though in the
past I've liked the kosher cuvee of Leoville-Poyferre.

That all sounds even stranger than our pseudo-Sedar though we kept to no
bread products. Because I too made a brisket we had 2003 Segal's Special
Reserve cabernet sauvingon that was quite good. Hagafen Russian River
Chardonnay done in a French style with Matzoh ball soup and gefilte fish
and haroset. Nothing with the chrain.- Hide quoted text -

I told Betsy I wasn't sure if pasta was leavened, but this sure wasn't
a seder in any case.
Where is the Segal's from?