Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: smoke Zin, Chablis, and Bourgogne

Sunday was a full day for me, ferrying some homeless guys up from city
and then leading a meeting. Eventually I made it home, to a glass of
the 2008 Brocard "Kimmeridgian" Bourgogne. Clean, citric, Chablisesque
chalkiness, though a bit too short to be classic. But nice for price,
and it held up fine overnight. Screwcap. B-

Dinner was lobster rolls - no mayo, just lobster meat with some good
Isigny butter. White Burgundy seemed fine, but I wanted an upgrade-
to real Chablis. I went with the 2002 Domaine William Fevre
"Montmains" Chablis 1er, figuring if it was PremOxed I'd just go back
to the Brocard. The sad thing about the high rate of PremOx in '02
Fevre is how damn good they are when they are on- like this bottle.
Lovely balance, rich apple and citrus fruit, clean bright acids, nice
length. There are some notes of flint and chalk, a hint of toast,
though no overt wood. I thoroughly enjoy this, drinking well and no
real sign of oxidation. A-

Last night was puttanesca sauce on spaghetti, with broccolini, salad,
and the 2008 Indian Creek Zinfandel (Mendocino). Midbodied, good red
fruit, a hint of the smoke (this is the second label Navarro put out
due to wildfires). Perfectly acceptable $10 zin, though it could use
some complexity (which somehow the smoke doesn't seem to add- it just
tastes like a simple wine by the campfire). B-

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 12, 4:20*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> Sunday was a full day for me, ferrying some homeless guys up from city
> and then leading a meeting. Eventually I made it home, to a glass of
> the 2008 Brocard "Kimmeridgian" Bourgogne. Clean, citric, Chablisesque
> chalkiness, though a bit too short to be classic. But nice for price,
> and it held up fine overnight. Screwcap. B-
>
> Dinner was lobster rolls - no mayo, just lobster meat with some good
> Isigny butter. *White Burgundy seemed fine, but I wanted an upgrade-
> to real Chablis. I went with the 2002 Domaine William Fevre
> "Montmains" Chablis 1er, figuring if it was PremOxed I'd just go back
> to the Brocard. The sad thing about the high rate of PremOx in '02
> Fevre is how damn good they are when they are on- like this bottle.
> Lovely balance, rich apple and citrus fruit, clean bright acids, nice
> length. There are some notes of flint and chalk, a hint of toast,
> though no overt wood. I thoroughly enjoy this, drinking well and no
> real sign of oxidation. A-
>
> Last night was puttanesca sauce on spaghetti, with broccolini, salad,
> and the 2008 Indian Creek Zinfandel (Mendocino). Midbodied, good red
> fruit, a hint of the smoke (this is the second label Navarro put out
> due to wildfires). Perfectly acceptable $10 zin, though it could use
> some complexity (which somehow the smoke doesn't seem to add- it just
> tastes like a simple wine by the campfire). B-
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*

I've alwasy been a fan of the Brocard Kimmeridgian especially given
the price. I've had lunch at Brocard twice with Jean Marc and he is a
delightful and gracious host (he gifted all of us with mags of 1997 Le
Clos from the library and brought out a ton of old Chablis for us to
try). I've been fortunate so far that I haven't had any 2002 Fevre's
with premox although I have friends who have. The Montmains is one of
my favorites from Fevre.

FAQ Bourgogne Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 15 12-08-2008 02:21 AM
TN: Chablis, Bourgogne, Trebbiano DaleW Wine 20 06-04-2007 04:09 PM
[FAQ] Bourgogne Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 5 01-10-2006 05:59 PM
TN: '00 Bourgogne, '95 CdP DaleW Wine 7 27-09-2006 10:12 AM
[OT] Bourgogne, anyone? Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 11 18-10-2003 12:49 PM