Old 12-12-2015, 01:16 AM posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Anybody still reading here?

G'day all. I was just browsing and noticed that all the dates were
pretty old. I was hoping that some of the old-timers were still here.
And, if no longer in this venue, I was hoping that one of them could
point me to where we're meeting these days.

Best regards all,
Dusty
--
"Time flys like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana!" - Groucho
Marx-(1890-1977)

Old 12-12-2015, 03:05 AM posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 8:16:54 PM UTC-5, Dusty wrote:
G'day all. I was just browsing and noticed that all the dates were
pretty old. I was hoping that some of the old-timers were still here.
And, if no longer in this venue, I was hoping that one of them could
point me to where we're meeting these days.

Best regards all,
Dusty
--
"Time flys like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana!" - Groucho
Marx-(1890-1977)

You guys used to meet IRL? I let my starter die when I went no/low carb for 2 years I Miss baking some good bread often.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:37 AM posted to rec.food.sourdough

No meetings. There are sourdough sites all over the web. You can still get a free starter from www.carlsfriends.net. Well, for a SASE, as Carl offered in the old days.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:23 AM posted to rec.food.sourdough

wrote:

G'day all. I was just browsing and noticed that all the dates were
pretty old. I was hoping that some of the old-timers were still here.
And, if no longer in this venue, I was hoping that one of them could
point me to where we're meeting these days.

Best regards all,
Dusty

Nope. All gone.

You too? :P!
Oh well, I was browsing and wanted to see if this group was still
working like in the "old days". I guess not. I suspect that most of
the folks are meeting on Facebook or the like.
Oh well...I'm still baking sourdough and too old & ornery to use the new
kiddy-toys, so I guess that's good... !

Take care and be well all,
Dusty

Old 12-12-2015, 04:25 AM posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 11-Dec-15 19:05, Robert Zaleski wrote:
On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 8:16:54 PM UTC-5, Dusty wrote:
G'day all. I was just browsing and noticed that all the dates
were pretty old. I was hoping that some of the old-timers were
still here. And, if no longer in this venue, I was hoping that one
of them could point me to where we're meeting these days.

Best regards all, Dusty -- "Time flys like an arrow; fruit flies
like a banana!" - Groucho Marx-(1890-1977)

You guys used to meet IRL? I let my starter die when I went no/low
carb for 2 years I Miss baking some good bread often.

Yeah. Know what you mean. Did that for a bit as well. But I still make
some bread every now and again. Enjoy the process, I do. Connects me
with the ancestors, I'd guess.

Take care old friend,
Dusty
Old 12-12-2015, 04:28 AM posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 11-Dec-15 19:37, Dick Adams wrote:
On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 8:16:54 PM UTC-5, Dusty wrote:
point me to where we're meeting these days.

No meetings. There are sourdough sites all over the web. You can still get a free starter from www.carlsfriends.net. Well, for a SASE, as Carl offered in the old days.

Got some of that some time ago. An excellent starter to be sure.
Still, I prefer my Poilne starter. Been with me for a long, long time.
Works fine, makes great bread. What more could one ask?

Take care and be well old friend,
Dusty
Old 12-12-2015, 12:25 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough

wrote:

G'day all. I was just browsing and noticed that all the dates were
pretty old. I was hoping that some of the old-timers were still here.
And, if no longer in this venue, I was hoping that one of them could
point me to where we're meeting these days.

Best regards all,
Dusty

Nope. All gone.

You too? :P!
Oh well, I was browsing and wanted to see if this group was still
working like in the "old days". I guess not. I suspect that most of
the folks are meeting on Facebook or the like.
Oh well...I'm still baking sourdough and too old & ornery to use the new
kiddy-toys, so I guess that's good... !

Actually, there is a thriving SD group on FaceBook - many more folks
than we'd ever had wandering through here. Not a lot of intellectual
discussion among the 4100+ members, but with that many, enough cream
floats to the top to make it worthwhile.

\
Take care and be well all,
Dusty

Same to you, sir. Keep in mind that some of us around in the
background, just don't post much.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:54 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 11/12/2015 6:16 PM, Dusty wrote:
G'day all. I was just browsing and noticed that all the dates were
pretty old. I was hoping that some of the old-timers were still here.
And, if no longer in this venue, I was hoping that one of them could
point me to where we're meeting these days.

Best regards all,
Dusty

It has been a long time! To refresh my memory, were you once stationed
at one of the Suffolk USAF bases?
Graham

Old 12-12-2015, 07:56 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 11/12/2015 8:37 PM, Dick Adams wrote:
On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 8:16:54 PM UTC-5, Dusty wrote:
point me to where we're meeting these days.

No meetings. There are sourdough sites all over the web. You can still get a free starter from www.carlsfriends.net. Well, for a SASE, as Carl offered in the old days.

I still use your recipe but bake it in a Lodge dutch oven!
Graham

Old 12-12-2015, 10:04 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 12-Dec-15 11:54, graham wrote:
On 11/12/2015 6:16 PM, Dusty wrote:
G'day all. I was just browsing and noticed that all the dates were
pretty old. I was hoping that some of the old-timers were still here.
And, if no longer in this venue, I was hoping that one of them could
point me to where we're meeting these days.

Best regards all,
Dusty

It has been a long time! To refresh my memory, were you once stationed
at one of the Suffolk USAF bases?
Graham

Dang! Indeed! Now that's a memory... !
I spent some quality time in the UK at RAF Lakenheath. A most enjoyable
country and post.
I do remember you from "the old days"... ! Still abusing those poor
little wild-yeast critters? Made any neat, new, interesting recipes?
If most of those that used to be here are indeed on FB, the favor of a
pointer to the appropriate group over there would be MOST appreciated.

Take care and be well,
Dusty
Old 12-12-2015, 10:14 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 12-Dec-15 11:56, graham wrote:
On 11/12/2015 8:37 PM, Dick Adams wrote:
On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 8:16:54 PM UTC-5, Dusty wrote:
point me to where we're meeting these days.

No meetings. There are sourdough sites all over the web. You can still
get a free starter from www.carlsfriends.net. Well, for a SASE, as
Carl offered in the old days.

I still use your recipe but bake it in a Lodge dutch oven!
Graham

Ha! Gotcha I did! There's going to be a discussion about royalties ya
know...
My memory apparently not being as good as yours, just which recipe was
that? I've got dozens that I circulate through. And how/what does that
Dutch oven do for the outcome? Apparently you like it. Can you
summarize it? Pictures perhaps?
In any event, I'm glad it's working for you. I've not baked SD nearly
as much as I'd like...but with this long, dreary winter staring me in
the face...I may have to alter that situation.
Some time back I'd purchased a rye-sourdough-cranberry-walnut loaf at
Costco. A wonderful bread! Fell head-over-heels in love with it. Been
working out the details of baking it myself. Still not quite
there...but I am sneaking up on it. I'll be sure to post it when I do.
Now that we live up on a hill in the wilds of Washington, the notion of
a brick oven is starting to work on me again. If anybody has any good
ideas in that regard, I'd love to hear 'em.

Take care and be well all,
Dusty
Old 13-12-2015, 04:18 AM posted to rec.food.sourdough

Hi Dusty,

I am one of the old crew. You and I were trying to figure out a way to get the "sour" in SD for a while. ( I have since found that a healthy starter will more consistently get sour if I add gluten to my flour and let it rise a long time in a warm area, near the oven.)

I have been in school the last 6 years, pursuing a couple of degrees, so my time has been limited.

I have continued to make bread. Lost a few starters and remade them. Then one day a student friend of mine said she had an old starter, one from 1850 from Oregon. I got some and have been using it.- very nice, sticky dough, good sour, even crumb. very slow riser that does not like the cold.

I freeze-dried it so that I will never lose it, something I learned on the old posts. My daughter came to live with us and she loves my bread so I am baking more.

I used a dutch oven for while and I liked the results. Very crispy crust and a nice look. I raised it in the pot (second rise, I only do two rises after dough is made) 400% preheated with a stone.

I have always wanted a wood fired pizza/bread oven. One day..

Hope you are well

Dan w
Old 13-12-2015, 04:28 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 12-Dec-15 20:18, dan w wrote:
[...]

G'day my old friend. I am indeed well. Thank you for inquiring. And I
am pleased that you, Dick Adams, Graham, Boron Elgar, and a few of the
other names I remember from our past are still both here and abusing our
little wild-yeast pests.
Several had mentioned that they are now most often on a Facebook
sourdough group, but carefully neglected to mention the name. I did
find one such group. The lady that runs it used to have a website where
I was a member. She had posted the name of the group thereon, so I
found it that way. I got to meet her some years back. A very nice lady
living by the coast. A most perfect place to live and bake sourdough.
I've heard a lot of folks over the years speak of baking in a Dutch
oven. Not yet done it myself preferring the traditional (just toss it
in the oven on the stone) approach. And while I've heard many extol the
virtues of doing it in a Dutch oven, I must have missed the reasons they
like it over the conventional method.
Oh well...live & learn...

Take care and be well my friend,
Dusty
Old 13-12-2015, 07:03 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 12/12/2015 3:14 PM, Dusty wrote:
On 12-Dec-15 11:56, graham wrote:
On 11/12/2015 8:37 PM, Dick Adams wrote:
On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 8:16:54 PM UTC-5, Dusty wrote:
point me to where we're meeting these days.

No meetings. There are sourdough sites all over the web. You can still
get a free starter from www.carlsfriends.net. Well, for a SASE, as
Carl offered in the old days.

I still use your recipe but bake it in a Lodge dutch oven!
Graham

Ha! Gotcha I did! There's going to be a discussion about royalties ya
know...
My memory apparently not being as good as yours, just which recipe was
that? I've got dozens that I circulate through. And how/what does that
Dutch oven do for the outcome? Apparently you like it. Can you
summarize it? Pictures perhaps?

I started using this method after reading about Jim Lahey's "NNo-Knead"
method that was first published in the New York Times and later in his book.
I didn't like his dough method but I did like the results from baking
the bread in a cast iron casserole. At first I used a Le Creuset
marmitout bu then invested in a Lodge dutch oven. I insist on Lodge as
it's US made and you know what you are getting. One never knows what
goes into the cast iron in Chinese foundries!!
I use the method whether I am baking a pure SD, hybrid SD/yeast or yeast
raised loaves.
Assuming you make a boule type loaf and have raised the dough in a
banneton or brotform, place the Lodge with its lid in the oven and
preheat to 450F. When ready, plop the dough in the Lodge and replace the
lid. After ~25 minutes, remove the lid and bake for another 15-20
minutes. No greasing or other treatment of the casserole is necessary.

I found that plopping the dough straight from the banneton often
resulted in slightly lop-sided loaves as the dough stuck briefly to one
part of the banneton. I now plop it onto a piece of parchment and then
lift the paper by the corners and put it into the Lodge.

Baking in such an enclosed space means that you don't have to spray with
water and the oven spring is excellent.
Try it! You'll probably never go back to baking on a stone.
Cheers
Graham

Has someone been reading RFC? sf[_9_] General Cooking 1 20-06-2013 08:59 PM
Wine Reading Casey Miller Wine 1 15-11-2010 03:11 PM
Fascinating reading James Silverton[_2_] General Cooking 22 07-08-2009 02:14 PM
help reading japanese on tea cup cha bing Tea 5 16-12-2007 11:38 PM
Reading SG from must R-D-C Winemaking 0 23-10-2004 10:51 PM