Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Dusty[_3_] Dusty[_3_] is offline

Default Anybody still reading here?

On 12-Dec-15 20:18, dan w wrote:
> Hi Dusty,
>
> I am one of the old crew. You and I were trying to figure out a way
> to get the "sour" in SD for a while. ( I have since found that a
> healthy starter will more consistently get sour if I add gluten to my
> flour and let it rise a long time in a warm area, near the oven.)
>
> I have been in school the last 6 years, pursuing a couple of degrees,
> so my time has been limited.
>
> I have continued to make bread. Lost a few starters and remade them.
> Then one day a student friend of mine said she had an old starter,
> one from 1850 from Oregon. I got some and have been using it.- very
> nice, sticky dough, good sour, even crumb. very slow riser that does
> not like the cold.
>
> I freeze-dried it so that I will never lose it, something I learned
> on the old posts. My daughter came to live with us and she loves my
> bread so I am baking more.
>
> I used a dutch oven for while and I liked the results. Very crispy
> crust and a nice look. I raised it in the pot (second rise, I only
> do two rises after dough is made) 400% preheated with a stone.
>
> I have always wanted a wood fired pizza/bread oven. One day..
>
> Hope you are well

G'day my old friend. I am indeed well. Thank you for inquiring. And I
am pleased that you, Dick Adams, Graham, Boron Elgar, and a few of the
other names I remember from our past are still both here and abusing our
little wild-yeast pests.
Several had mentioned that they are now most often on a Facebook
sourdough group, but carefully neglected to mention the name. I did
find one such group. The lady that runs it used to have a website where
I was a member. She had posted the name of the group thereon, so I
found it that way. I got to meet her some years back. A very nice lady
living by the coast. A most perfect place to live and bake sourdough.
I've heard a lot of folks over the years speak of baking in a Dutch
oven. Not yet done it myself preferring the traditional (just toss it
in the oven on the stone) approach. And while I've heard many extol the
virtues of doing it in a Dutch oven, I must have missed the reasons they
like it over the conventional method.
Oh well...live & learn...

Take care and be well my friend,
Dusty
--
"Time flys like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana!" - Groucho
Marx-(1890-1977)