View Single Post
  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster

Default Anybody still reading here?

Hi Dusty,

I am one of the old crew. You and I were trying to figure out a way to get the "sour" in SD for a while. ( I have since found that a healthy starter will more consistently get sour if I add gluten to my flour and let it rise a long time in a warm area, near the oven.)

I have been in school the last 6 years, pursuing a couple of degrees, so my time has been limited.

I have continued to make bread. Lost a few starters and remade them. Then one day a student friend of mine said she had an old starter, one from 1850 from Oregon. I got some and have been using it.- very nice, sticky dough, good sour, even crumb. very slow riser that does not like the cold.

I freeze-dried it so that I will never lose it, something I learned on the old posts. My daughter came to live with us and she loves my bread so I am baking more.

I used a dutch oven for while and I liked the results. Very crispy crust and a nice look. I raised it in the pot (second rise, I only do two rises after dough is made) 400% preheated with a stone.

I have always wanted a wood fired pizza/bread oven. One day..

Hope you are well

Dan w