R-D-C

Default Reading SG from must

OK, this has probably been asked plenty of times before but I can't seem to
find it in the newsgroup - possibly because we have just killed off a couple
of bottles of wine ;-)

Tomorrow I want to start a Strawberry wine, based upon recipe number 2 from
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques5.asp. This will be my first go at a
non-kit wine apart from my half-complete mead.

So I add boiling water to my strawberries (preumably no need for campden
because of the temparature) and this mashes my strawberries. Once cooled I
add my yeast.

I now have a mix of fruit and water. Can I take an SG reading from this
directly for working out alchol content later? I am guessing that the
strawberryness will continue to infuse into the liquid for the full week
that it is in the primary which I guess changes the SG. So is my SG reading
going to be way off for practical use or does it not really matter?

Thanks in advance for any information.

RDC

Anybody still reading here? Dusty[_3_] Sourdough 31 29-05-2016 05:35 PM
Has someone been reading RFC? sf[_9_] General Cooking 1 20-06-2013 08:59 PM
Wine Reading Casey Miller Wine 1 15-11-2010 03:11 PM
Fascinating reading James Silverton[_2_] General Cooking 22 07-08-2009 02:14 PM
help reading japanese on tea cup cha bing Tea 5 16-12-2007 11:38 PM