Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Anybody still reading here?

G'day all. I was just browsing and noticed that all the dates were
pretty old. I was hoping that some of the old-timers were still here.
And, if no longer in this venue, I was hoping that one of them could
point me to where we're meeting these days.

Best regards all,
Dusty
--
"Time flys like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana!" - Groucho
Marx-(1890-1977)
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 17:16:53 -0800, Dusty >
wrote:

>G'day all. I was just browsing and noticed that all the dates were
>pretty old. I was hoping that some of the old-timers were still here.
>And, if no longer in this venue, I was hoping that one of them could
>point me to where we're meeting these days.
>
>Best regards all,
>Dusty

Nope. All gone.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 8:16:54 PM UTC-5, Dusty wrote:
> G'day all. I was just browsing and noticed that all the dates were
> pretty old. I was hoping that some of the old-timers were still here.
> And, if no longer in this venue, I was hoping that one of them could
> point me to where we're meeting these days.
>
> Best regards all,
> Dusty
> --
> "Time flys like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana!" - Groucho
> Marx-(1890-1977)

You guys used to meet IRL? I let my starter die when I went no/low carb for 2 years I Miss baking some good bread often.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 8:16:54 PM UTC-5, Dusty wrote:
> point me to where we're meeting these days.

No meetings. There are sourdough sites all over the web. You can still get a free starter from www.carlsfriends.net. Well, for a SASE, as Carl offered in the old days.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 11-Dec-15 17:54, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 17:16:53 -0800, Dusty >
> wrote:
>
>> G'day all. I was just browsing and noticed that all the dates were
>> pretty old. I was hoping that some of the old-timers were still here.
>> And, if no longer in this venue, I was hoping that one of them could
>> point me to where we're meeting these days.
>>
>> Best regards all,
>> Dusty

> Nope. All gone.

You too? :P!
Oh well, I was browsing and wanted to see if this group was still
working like in the "old days". I guess not. I suspect that most of
the folks are meeting on Facebook or the like.
Oh well...I'm still baking sourdough and too old & ornery to use the new
kiddy-toys, so I guess that's good... !

Take care and be well all,
Dusty
--
"Time flys like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana!" - Groucho
Marx-(1890-1977)

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 11-Dec-15 19:05, Robert Zaleski wrote:
> On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 8:16:54 PM UTC-5, Dusty wrote:
>> G'day all. I was just browsing and noticed that all the dates
>> were pretty old. I was hoping that some of the old-timers were
>> still here. And, if no longer in this venue, I was hoping that one
>> of them could point me to where we're meeting these days.
>>
>> Best regards all, Dusty -- "Time flys like an arrow; fruit flies
>> like a banana!" - Groucho Marx-(1890-1977)

> You guys used to meet IRL? I let my starter die when I went no/low
> carb for 2 years I Miss baking some good bread often.

Yeah. Know what you mean. Did that for a bit as well. But I still make
some bread every now and again. Enjoy the process, I do. Connects me
with the ancestors, I'd guess.

Take care old friend,
Dusty
--
"Time flys like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana!" - Groucho
Marx-(1890-1977)
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 11-Dec-15 19:37, Dick Adams wrote:
> On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 8:16:54 PM UTC-5, Dusty wrote:
>> point me to where we're meeting these days.

> No meetings. There are sourdough sites all over the web. You can still get a free starter from www.carlsfriends.net. Well, for a SASE, as Carl offered in the old days.

Got some of that some time ago. An excellent starter to be sure.
Still, I prefer my Poilne starter. Been with me for a long, long time.
Works fine, makes great bread. What more could one ask?

Take care and be well old friend,
Dusty
--
"Time flys like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana!" - Groucho
Marx-(1890-1977)
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 20:23:15 -0800, Dusty >
wrote:

>On 11-Dec-15 17:54, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 17:16:53 -0800, Dusty >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> G'day all. I was just browsing and noticed that all the dates were
>>> pretty old. I was hoping that some of the old-timers were still here.
>>> And, if no longer in this venue, I was hoping that one of them could
>>> point me to where we're meeting these days.
>>>
>>> Best regards all,
>>> Dusty

>> Nope. All gone.

>You too? :P!
>Oh well, I was browsing and wanted to see if this group was still
>working like in the "old days". I guess not. I suspect that most of
>the folks are meeting on Facebook or the like.
>Oh well...I'm still baking sourdough and too old & ornery to use the new
>kiddy-toys, so I guess that's good... !

Actually, there is a thriving SD group on FaceBook - many more folks
than we'd ever had wandering through here. Not a lot of intellectual
discussion among the 4100+ members, but with that many, enough cream
floats to the top to make it worthwhile.

\
>Take care and be well all,
>Dusty

Same to you, sir. Keep in mind that some of us around in the
background, just don't post much.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 11/12/2015 6:16 PM, Dusty wrote:
> G'day all. I was just browsing and noticed that all the dates were
> pretty old. I was hoping that some of the old-timers were still here.
> And, if no longer in this venue, I was hoping that one of them could
> point me to where we're meeting these days.
>
> Best regards all,
> Dusty

It has been a long time! To refresh my memory, were you once stationed
at one of the Suffolk USAF bases?
Graham

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 11/12/2015 8:37 PM, Dick Adams wrote:
> On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 8:16:54 PM UTC-5, Dusty wrote:
>> point me to where we're meeting these days.

> No meetings. There are sourdough sites all over the web. You can still get a free starter from www.carlsfriends.net. Well, for a SASE, as Carl offered in the old days.

I still use your recipe but bake it in a Lodge dutch oven!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 12-Dec-15 11:54, graham wrote:
> On 11/12/2015 6:16 PM, Dusty wrote:
>> G'day all. I was just browsing and noticed that all the dates were
>> pretty old. I was hoping that some of the old-timers were still here.
>> And, if no longer in this venue, I was hoping that one of them could
>> point me to where we're meeting these days.
>>
>> Best regards all,
>> Dusty

> It has been a long time! To refresh my memory, were you once stationed
> at one of the Suffolk USAF bases?
> Graham

Dang! Indeed! Now that's a memory... !
I spent some quality time in the UK at RAF Lakenheath. A most enjoyable
country and post.
I do remember you from "the old days"... ! Still abusing those poor
little wild-yeast critters? Made any neat, new, interesting recipes?
If most of those that used to be here are indeed on FB, the favor of a
pointer to the appropriate group over there would be MOST appreciated.

Take care and be well,
Dusty
--
"Time flys like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana!" - Groucho
Marx-(1890-1977)
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 12-Dec-15 11:56, graham wrote:
> On 11/12/2015 8:37 PM, Dick Adams wrote:
>> On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 8:16:54 PM UTC-5, Dusty wrote:
>>> point me to where we're meeting these days.

>> No meetings. There are sourdough sites all over the web. You can still
>> get a free starter from www.carlsfriends.net. Well, for a SASE, as
>> Carl offered in the old days.
>>

> I still use your recipe but bake it in a Lodge dutch oven!
> Graham

Ha! Gotcha I did! There's going to be a discussion about royalties ya
know...
My memory apparently not being as good as yours, just which recipe was
that? I've got dozens that I circulate through. And how/what does that
Dutch oven do for the outcome? Apparently you like it. Can you
summarize it? Pictures perhaps?
In any event, I'm glad it's working for you. I've not baked SD nearly
as much as I'd like...but with this long, dreary winter staring me in
the face...I may have to alter that situation.
Some time back I'd purchased a rye-sourdough-cranberry-walnut loaf at
Costco. A wonderful bread! Fell head-over-heels in love with it. Been
working out the details of baking it myself. Still not quite
there...but I am sneaking up on it. I'll be sure to post it when I do.
Now that we live up on a hill in the wilds of Washington, the notion of
a brick oven is starting to work on me again. If anybody has any good
ideas in that regard, I'd love to hear 'em.

Take care and be well all,
Dusty
--
"Time flys like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana!" - Groucho
Marx-(1890-1977)
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Hi Dusty,

I am one of the old crew. You and I were trying to figure out a way to get the "sour" in SD for a while. ( I have since found that a healthy starter will more consistently get sour if I add gluten to my flour and let it rise a long time in a warm area, near the oven.)

I have been in school the last 6 years, pursuing a couple of degrees, so my time has been limited.

I have continued to make bread. Lost a few starters and remade them. Then one day a student friend of mine said she had an old starter, one from 1850 from Oregon. I got some and have been using it.- very nice, sticky dough, good sour, even crumb. very slow riser that does not like the cold.

I freeze-dried it so that I will never lose it, something I learned on the old posts. My daughter came to live with us and she loves my bread so I am baking more.

I used a dutch oven for while and I liked the results. Very crispy crust and a nice look. I raised it in the pot (second rise, I only do two rises after dough is made) 400% preheated with a stone.

I have always wanted a wood fired pizza/bread oven. One day..

Hope you are well

Dan w
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 12-Dec-15 20:18, dan w wrote:
> Hi Dusty,
>
> I am one of the old crew. You and I were trying to figure out a way
> to get the "sour" in SD for a while. ( I have since found that a
> healthy starter will more consistently get sour if I add gluten to my
> flour and let it rise a long time in a warm area, near the oven.)
>
> I have been in school the last 6 years, pursuing a couple of degrees,
> so my time has been limited.
>
> I have continued to make bread. Lost a few starters and remade them.
> Then one day a student friend of mine said she had an old starter,
> one from 1850 from Oregon. I got some and have been using it.- very
> nice, sticky dough, good sour, even crumb. very slow riser that does
> not like the cold.
>
> I freeze-dried it so that I will never lose it, something I learned
> on the old posts. My daughter came to live with us and she loves my
> bread so I am baking more.
>
> I used a dutch oven for while and I liked the results. Very crispy
> crust and a nice look. I raised it in the pot (second rise, I only
> do two rises after dough is made) 400% preheated with a stone.
>
> I have always wanted a wood fired pizza/bread oven. One day..
>
> Hope you are well

G'day my old friend. I am indeed well. Thank you for inquiring. And I
am pleased that you, Dick Adams, Graham, Boron Elgar, and a few of the
other names I remember from our past are still both here and abusing our
little wild-yeast pests.
Several had mentioned that they are now most often on a Facebook
sourdough group, but carefully neglected to mention the name. I did
find one such group. The lady that runs it used to have a website where
I was a member. She had posted the name of the group thereon, so I
found it that way. I got to meet her some years back. A very nice lady
living by the coast. A most perfect place to live and bake sourdough.
I've heard a lot of folks over the years speak of baking in a Dutch
oven. Not yet done it myself preferring the traditional (just toss it
in the oven on the stone) approach. And while I've heard many extol the
virtues of doing it in a Dutch oven, I must have missed the reasons they
like it over the conventional method.
Oh well...live & learn...

Take care and be well my friend,
Dusty
--
"Time flys like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana!" - Groucho
Marx-(1890-1977)
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 12/12/2015 3:14 PM, Dusty wrote:
> On 12-Dec-15 11:56, graham wrote:
>>>
>>> No meetings. There are sourdough sites all over the web. You can still
>>> get a free starter from www.carlsfriends.net. Well, for a SASE, as
>>> Carl offered in the old days.
>>>

>> I still use your recipe but bake it in a Lodge dutch oven!
>> Graham

> Ha! Gotcha I did! There's going to be a discussion about royalties ya
> know...
> My memory apparently not being as good as yours, just which recipe was
> that? I've got dozens that I circulate through. And how/what does that
> Dutch oven do for the outcome? Apparently you like it. Can you
> summarize it? Pictures perhaps?

I started using this method after reading about Jim Lahey's "NNo-Knead"
method that was first published in the New York Times and later in his book.
I didn't like his dough method but I did like the results from baking
the bread in a cast iron casserole. At first I used a Le Creuset
marmitout bu then invested in a Lodge dutch oven. I insist on Lodge as
it's US made and you know what you are getting. One never knows what
goes into the cast iron in Chinese foundries!!
I use the method whether I am baking a pure SD, hybrid SD/yeast or yeast
raised loaves.
Assuming you make a boule type loaf and have raised the dough in a
banneton or brotform, place the Lodge with its lid in the oven and
preheat to 450F. When ready, plop the dough in the Lodge and replace the
lid. After ~25 minutes, remove the lid and bake for another 15-20
minutes. No greasing or other treatment of the casserole is necessary.

I found that plopping the dough straight from the banneton often
resulted in slightly lop-sided loaves as the dough stuck briefly to one
part of the banneton. I now plop it onto a piece of parchment and then
lift the paper by the corners and put it into the Lodge.

Baking in such an enclosed space means that you don't have to spray with
water and the oven spring is excellent.
Try it! You'll probably never go back to baking on a stone.
Cheers
Graham

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 12/12/2015 3:04 PM, Dusty wrote:
> On 12-Dec-15 11:54, graham wrote:
>> On 11/12/2015 6:16 PM, Dusty wrote:
>>> G'day all. I was just browsing and noticed that all the dates were
>>> pretty old. I was hoping that some of the old-timers were still here.
>>> And, if no longer in this venue, I was hoping that one of them could
>>> point me to where we're meeting these days.
>>>
>>> Best regards all,
>>> Dusty

>> It has been a long time! To refresh my memory, were you once stationed
>> at one of the Suffolk USAF bases?
>> Graham

> Dang! Indeed! Now that's a memory... !
> I spent some quality time in the UK at RAF Lakenheath. A most enjoyable
> country and post.

I come from further south in Suffolk. We had some USAF people in the
village but they were all stationed at Ben****ers. One was a regular in
the pub on Sunday at noon and he bought a Jaguar to ship back to the US.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 13-Dec-15 11:03, graham wrote:
> On 12/12/2015 3:14 PM, Dusty wrote:

>>> I still use your recipe but bake it in a Lodge dutch oven!
>>> Graham

>> Ha! Gotcha I did! There's going to be a discussion about royalties ya
>> know...
>> My memory apparently not being as good as yours, just which recipe was
>> that? I've got dozens that I circulate through. And how/what does that
>> Dutch oven do for the outcome? Apparently you like it. Can you
>> summarize it? Pictures perhaps?

> I started using this method after reading about Jim Lahey's "NNo-Knead"
> method that was first published in the New York Times and later in his
> book.
> I didn't like his dough method but I did like the results from baking
> the bread in a cast iron casserole. At first I used a Le Creuset
> marmitout bu then invested in a Lodge dutch oven. I insist on Lodge as
> it's US made and you know what you are getting. One never knows what
> goes into the cast iron in Chinese foundries!!

Yep. Roger that.

> I use the method whether I am baking a pure SD, hybrid SD/yeast or yeast
> raised loaves.
> Assuming you make a boule type loaf and have raised the dough in a
> banneton or brotform, place the Lodge with its lid in the oven and
> preheat to 450F. When ready, plop the dough in the Lodge and replace the
> lid.

I assume that you put it back in the oven?

> After ~25 minutes, remove the lid and bake for another 15-20
> minutes. No greasing or other treatment of the casserole is necessary.

Sounds simple and straightforward.

> I found that plopping the dough straight from the banneton often
> resulted in slightly lop-sided loaves as the dough stuck briefly to one
> part of the banneton. I now plop it onto a piece of parchment and then
> lift the paper by the corners and put it into the Lodge.
>
> Baking in such an enclosed space means that you don't have to spray with
> water and the oven spring is excellent.
> Try it! You'll probably never go back to baking on a stone.

Thanks for the clarifications. I'll have to give that a lash. If so,
it'll heartbreak my stone...

Best regards all,
Dusty
--
"Time flys like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana!" - Groucho
Marx-(1890-1977)
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 13-Dec-15 11:07, graham wrote:
> On 12/12/2015 3:04 PM, Dusty wrote:

>>> It has been a long time! To refresh my memory, were you once stationed
>>> at one of the Suffolk USAF bases?
>>> Graham

>> Dang! Indeed! Now that's a memory... !
>> I spent some quality time in the UK at RAF Lakenheath. A most enjoyable
>> country and post.

> I come from further south in Suffolk. We had some USAF people in the
> village but they were all stationed at Ben****ers. One was a regular in
> the pub on Sunday at noon and he bought a Jaguar to ship back to the US.

I got myself a VW station wagon. Shipped that puppy back and drove it
for 4-5 more years.
Went in & out of Ben****ers a few times. That and Mildenhall (sp?) as
well. Loved driving around your country. Spent many wonderful days
exploring Sherwood Forest, and more time exploring the Scottish
highlands in the north, and Wales to the west. Still have my coin from
being at the investiture of the Prince of Wales. Found the folks
charming and friendly where ever we went. Got my first taste of
homemade sourdough bread from an elderly lass living not far from us in
Weeting (Brandon/Suffolk). One of the things I liked best was their way
of naming homes/houses, and not just using a cold, impartial, street number.
May have to go back in a few years to see how things are these days over
there. Given it's rich and long history, probably not changed much in
the few moments that have passed since I was there last.

Dusty,
--
"Time flys like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana!" - Groucho
Marx-(1890-1977)
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 20:54:20 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 17:16:53 -0800, Dusty >
>wrote:
>
>>G'day all. I was just browsing and noticed that all the dates were
>>pretty old. I was hoping that some of the old-timers were still here.
>>And, if no longer in this venue, I was hoping that one of them could
>>point me to where we're meeting these days.
>>
>>Best regards all,
>>Dusty

>Nope. All gone.

I'm gone too.

[]'s

PS still using my starter from 2002. Or thereabouts. Eggs and
bacon on sourdough toast is a treat I indulge in once a week....
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 13-Dec-15 14:23, Shadow wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 20:54:20 -0500, Boron Elgar
> > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 17:16:53 -0800, Dusty >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> G'day all. I was just browsing and noticed that all the dates were
>>> pretty old. I was hoping that some of the old-timers were still here.
>>> And, if no longer in this venue, I was hoping that one of them could
>>> point me to where we're meeting these days.
>>>
>>> Best regards all,
>>> Dusty

>> Nope. All gone.

> I'm gone too.
>
> []'s
>
> PS still using my starter from 2002. Or thereabouts. Eggs and
> bacon on sourdough toast is a treat I indulge in once a week....

Sounds wonderful! We do that as well, almost each week on Saturday.
Although these last few days we've been going out to breakfast. I
especially like that on a version of croissant dough that I make with
sourdough. Instead of cutting and rolling them in those little pointy
crescents, I make 'em roundish about the size of an egg & bacon (or ham)
splat. Smear a little jam in there and they're wonderful.

Dusty
--
"Time flys like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana!" - Groucho
Marx-(1890-1977)

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

There are some moderated Sourdough groups in Yahoo Groups.

I haven't joined any yet but you can tell once you've joined a group
if it's moderated or not. If you see frequent spam or mostly spam,
unjoin (leave) the group and try another one.

Here's a search for sourdough related Yahoo Groups:

I do miss the time when Usenet text groups were useful, and especially
this group. I've learned a lot on my own since then.

This web site is maintained by one of the old-timers from back when
this was a great sourdough discussion site.

http://samartha.net/SD/

It has some useful information on the subject.

Donald

wrote:

>Oh well, I was browsing and wanted to see if this group was still
>working like in the "old days". I guess not. I suspect that most of
>the folks are meeting on Facebook or the like.
>Oh well...I'm still baking sourdough and too old & ornery to use the new
>kiddy-toys, so I guess that's good... !

Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Doc Doc is offline

There is a fairly large group of studious folks over at The Fresh Loaf(http://www.thefreshloaf.com/), some of whom are sourdough addicts. It is a well run site.

Doc
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 18:13:10 -0800 (PST), Doc >
wrote:

>There is a fairly large group of studious folks over at The Fresh Loaf

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/

>some of whom are sourdough addicts. It is a well run site.

Lovely photos. Made my stomach water ....

[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 13-Dec-15 17:55, Donald wrote:
> There are some moderated Sourdough groups in Yahoo Groups.
>
> I haven't joined any yet but you can tell once you've joined a group
> if it's moderated or not. If you see frequent spam or mostly spam,
> unjoin (leave) the group and try another one.
>
> Here's a search for sourdough related Yahoo Groups:

> I do miss the time when Usenet text groups were useful, and especially
> this group. I've learned a lot on my own since then.
>
> This web site is maintained by one of the old-timers from back when
> this was a great sourdough discussion site.
>
> http://samartha.net/SD/
>
> It has some useful information on the subject.

Please accept a most gracious thank you for posting that link, Donald.
I'd forgotten that name completely. Thank you ever so much for
resurrecting it in my mind.
Samartha was indeed one of the old crew...and a good friend to boot.

Dusty
--
"Time flys like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana!" - Groucho
Marx-(1890-1977)
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 13-Dec-15 18:13, Doc wrote:
> There is a fairly large group of studious folks over at The Fresh Loaf(http://www.thefreshloaf.com/), some of whom are sourdough addicts. It is a well run site.
>
> Doc

Thank you kindly for that link, Doc.

Dusty
--
"Time flys like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana!" - Groucho
Marx-(1890-1977)

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 20:03:03 -0800, Dusty >
wrote:

>On 13-Dec-15 18:13, Doc wrote:
>> There is a fairly large group of studious folks over at The Fresh Loaf(http://www.thefreshloaf.com/), some of whom are sourdough addicts. It is a well run site.
>>
>> Doc
>>

>Thank you kindly for that link, Doc.
>
>Dusty

I second the recommendation for TFL. It has been around for years, is
easily searchable and allows for photos.

As with any site, give it a bit of time until you can easily separate
the wheat from the chaff.

The FB group, which can be reached at:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/360136781918/

....is also quite useful once one gets the lay of the land.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 14-Dec-15 06:24, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 20:03:03 -0800, Dusty >
> wrote:
>
>> On 13-Dec-15 18:13, Doc wrote:
>>> There is a fairly large group of studious folks over at The Fresh Loaf(http://www.thefreshloaf.com/), some of whom are sourdough addicts. It is a well run site.
>>>
>>> Doc
>>>

>> Thank you kindly for that link, Doc.
>>
>> Dusty

> I second the recommendation for TFL. It has been around for years, is
> easily searchable and allows for photos.
>
> As with any site, give it a bit of time until you can easily separate
> the wheat from the chaff.
>
> The FB group, which can be reached at:
>
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/360136781918/
>
> ...is also quite useful once one gets the lay of the land.

Thank you for that link, Boron. Most interesting it is.

I found this one through a link on a page of a site I used to frequent
(in the days before FB). -
https://www.facebook.com/groups/perfectsourdough/
Hopefully it'll be of use to some reading here.

Take care and be well my friends,
Dusty
--
"Time flys like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana!" - Groucho
Marx-(1890-1977)
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 07:06:06 -0800, Dusty >
wrote:

>On 14-Dec-15 06:24, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 20:03:03 -0800, Dusty >
>> wrote:

>>> Thank you kindly for that link, Doc.
>>>
>>> Dusty

>> I second the recommendation for TFL. It has been around for years, is
>> easily searchable and allows for photos.
>>
>> As with any site, give it a bit of time until you can easily separate
>> the wheat from the chaff.
>>
>> The FB group, which can be reached at:
>>
>> https://www.facebook.com/groups/360136781918/
>>
>> ...is also quite useful once one gets the lay of the land.

>Thank you for that link, Boron. Most interesting it is.
>
>I found this one through a link on a page of a site I used to frequent
>(in the days before FB). -
>https://www.facebook.com/groups/perfectsourdough/
>Hopefully it'll be of use to some reading here.

HA! I never knew that one is there. HUGE group, too.

Thanks.

>Take care and be well my friends,
>Dusty

And to you, too.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Does anyone have an email address for someone who used to post here
with a first name of Igor? He had a great sourdough available on ebay
and I'd like to get another dried starter now that my diabetes turned
out to be drug-induced and I can once again eat bread now that I got
off the medicine cardizem.

I don't plan to eat lots of carbs in my diet now that I had the
diabetes scare just out of a new knowledge of what empty carbs do to
the body over time, but I feel I can now eat some bread at times in my
diet.

BTW, I am aware that I can get the Carl's starter for free. I am
looking for a certain strain, not mnust any sourdough starter strain.

Donald

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 19:59:12 -0800, Dusty >
wrote:

>Please accept a most gracious thank you for posting that link, Donald.
>I'd forgotten that name completely. Thank you ever so much for
>resurrecting it in my mind.
>Samartha was indeed one of the old crew...and a good friend to boot.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default How to fill in old posts from Sourdough (WAS: Anybody still reading here?)

FWIW, depending on the newsgroup server you use, you can go way back
to over a decade ago and read Usenet posts here. I use the $2.95 per
month plan (25 GB, way more than you need for test only newsgroups):

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

but they have higher bandwidth plans if you want to download movies
and binary files on up to an unlimited plan for $14.95 per month. I
use the $2.95 plan but probably don't get my money's worth.

You COULD, if you only wanted to get some text groups old posts on
your newsreader, try their service free for a month for the basic
service I use and fill in your old posts, then decide to NOT continue
using the service if you wish.

I have found that the free services were not worth my trouble but you
might have found a good one that has been reliable for you in your
part of the world. If so, that's great. I was moving from one free one
to another and I didn't care for the trouble involved in doing that
just to save the few $ it cost me to use Forte's services.

Most groups are spam havens now, but the older Sourdough posts are
available back to 2003 on forte's server, back when Dick Adams and
Samartha posted frequently.

I use Forte Agent newsgroup reader & email reader. I started with a
free account when beta testing the program and can get it free during
testing periods, but it has proved to be a reliable service so I keep
on using it. Agent is probably the most powerful newsreader available.
I hope this may help someone.

wrote:

>Please accept a most gracious thank you for posting that link, Donald.
>I'd forgotten that name completely. Thank you ever so much for
>resurrecting it in my mind.
>Samartha was indeed one of the old crew...and a good friend to boot.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 12-Apr-16 18:31, Donald wrote:
> Does anyone have an email address for someone who used to post here
> with a first name of Igor? He had a great sourdough available on ebay
> and I'd like to get another dried starter now that my diabetes turned
> out to be drug-induced and I can once again eat bread now that I got
> off the medicine cardizem.
>
> I don't plan to eat lots of carbs in my diet now that I had the
> diabetes scare just out of a new knowledge of what empty carbs do to
> the body over time, but I feel I can now eat some bread at times in my
> diet.
>
> BTW, I am aware that I can get the Carl's starter for free. I am
> looking for a certain strain, not mnust any sourdough starter strain.
>
> Donald
>
> On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 19:59:12 -0800, Dusty >
> wrote:
>

>> Please accept a most gracious thank you for posting that link, Donald.
>> I'd forgotten that name completely. Thank you ever so much for
>> resurrecting it in my mind.
>> Samartha was indeed one of the old crew...and a good friend to boot.

I remember that name, Donald...but regret that I don't have any more
information about it.
Also, if you need starter, let me know and I'll sub-in some for you from
my old batch. I got it, many years ago (from some folks in Paris as
they threw me out of their bakery !), that I'd promised to NEVER
reveal their name. I just got back from a many weeks road-trip, and
will need a week or two to get it back up to speed.

Dusty
Baking sourdough near Lake Stevens, WA

--
"Belief is the blissful twilight that those without the courage of true
convictions cling to in order to escape the sometimes harsh
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Friday, April 29, 2016 at 7:12:05 PM UTC-4, Dusty wrote:
> On 12-Apr-16 18:31, Donald wrote:
> > Does anyone have an email address for someone who used to post here
> > with a first name of Igor? He had a great sourdough available on ebay
> > and I'd like to get another dried starter now that my diabetes turned
> > out to be drug-induced and I can once again eat bread now that I got
> > off the medicine cardizem.
> >
> > I don't plan to eat lots of carbs in my diet now that I had the
> > diabetes scare just out of a new knowledge of what empty carbs do to
> > the body over time, but I feel I can now eat some bread at times in my
> > diet.
> >
> > BTW, I am aware that I can get the Carl's starter for free. I am
> > looking for a certain strain, not mnust any sourdough starter strain.
> >
> > Donald
> >
> > On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 19:59:12 -0800, Dusty >
> > wrote:
> >

> >> Please accept a most gracious thank you for posting that link, Donald.
> >> I'd forgotten that name completely. Thank you ever so much for
> >> resurrecting it in my mind.
> >> Samartha was indeed one of the old crew...and a good friend to boot.

> I remember that name, Donald...but regret that I don't have any more
> information about it.
> Also, if you need starter, let me know and I'll sub-in some for you from
> my old batch. I got it, many years ago (from some folks in Paris as
> they threw me out of their bakery !), that I'd promised to NEVER
> reveal their name. I just got back from a many weeks road-trip, and
> will need a week or two to get it back up to speed.
>
> Dusty
> Baking sourdough near Lake Stevens, WA
>
> --
> "Belief is the blissful twilight that those without the courage of true
> convictions cling to in order to escape the sometimes harsh
> understanding of reality that comes with truth." -- Dusty 2006

sodo lives!

Has someone been reading RFC? sf[_9_] General Cooking 1 20-06-2013 08:59 PM
Wine Reading Casey Miller Wine 1 15-11-2010 04:11 PM
Fascinating reading James Silverton[_2_] General Cooking 22 07-08-2009 02:14 PM
help reading japanese on tea cup cha bing Tea 5 17-12-2007 12:38 AM
Reading SG from must R-D-C Winemaking 0 23-10-2004 10:51 PM