Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Donald[_4_] Donald[_4_] is offline

Default How to fill in old posts from Sourdough (WAS: Anybody still reading here?)

FWIW, depending on the newsgroup server you use, you can go way back
to over a decade ago and read Usenet posts here. I use the $2.95 per
month plan (25 GB, way more than you need for test only newsgroups):

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

but they have higher bandwidth plans if you want to download movies
and binary files on up to an unlimited plan for $14.95 per month. I
use the $2.95 plan but probably don't get my money's worth.

You COULD, if you only wanted to get some text groups old posts on
your newsreader, try their service free for a month for the basic
service I use and fill in your old posts, then decide to NOT continue
using the service if you wish.

I have found that the free services were not worth my trouble but you
might have found a good one that has been reliable for you in your
part of the world. If so, that's great. I was moving from one free one
to another and I didn't care for the trouble involved in doing that
just to save the few $ it cost me to use Forte's services.

Most groups are spam havens now, but the older Sourdough posts are
available back to 2003 on forte's server, back when Dick Adams and
Samartha posted frequently.

I use Forte Agent newsgroup reader & email reader. I started with a
free account when beta testing the program and can get it free during
testing periods, but it has proved to be a reliable service so I keep
on using it. Agent is probably the most powerful newsreader available.
I hope this may help someone.

Donald